• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The VR-PC Game thread

Would be really great if any of these things actually worked with the latest oculus version. I baught Elite just for that reason..but almost nothing works anymore with .8. What does work has issues like the tracking camera not turning on.

Using previous versions does not work with Win X, just waiting on a fix already. Its been months

Elite specifically has been having issues with the Oculus SDK for a little while now. Something about their engine isn't compatible with the runtime. They've been working on it for some time now, but not sure what's stopping them. I guess they've been working directly with Oculus to try and get the problem resolved.

I disagree. Resolution is still very very very important for VR, even when it's not (only) about SDE. For gaming it would help with the lack of detail when it comes to things in the distance ( or small things in general ). Like with the DK2 I don't really like racing games ( like Assetto Corsa ) because you can't see well whats further on the road.

And more than anything, a (far) better resolution is what would make a desktop use of VR a ( usefull and comfortable ) reality. I don't care about having a multi monitor setup, when I could have an infinite number of virtual monitor in VR

Well, GearVR shows us that it's not out of the question to have a high resolution panel, that we don't attempt to render at 'full' resolution in games. For something requiring relatively low horsepower (rendering a few virtual monitors) you could target the full panel resolution, and for games you could run at a lower resolution without major scaling artifacts... because again there isn't really native 1 to 1 pixel scaling yet in VR. That could happen with improved rendering techniques, but for now, we're over rendering and then warping that image. I forget what they recommend people over render by in order to have close to 1 to 1 pixel scaling in the sweet spot, but there definitely isn't that jarring difference between true native resolution and a lower one upscaled, so it's not as stark a difference as 1080p to 900p upscaled.

I'm sure it'll happen post Rift, but for now the main application they're targeting for the headset is gaming, so they've tried to find a sweet spot where there is plenty of detail for gaming.

Would be really great if any of these things actually worked with the latest oculus version. I baught Elite just for that reason..but almost nothing works anymore with .8. What does work has issues like the tracking camera not turning on.

Using previous versions does not work with Win X, just waiting on a fix already. Its been months
With stuff that supports SDK 0.7 or later I've had zero issues on Windows 10. A lot of developers on earlier SDKs are waiting for 1.0 to update. I'm sure we'll see Elite and Assetta Corsa updated at some point, whether it's in time for launch or not.

Once we have a consumer headset, developers VR will be much quicker to update for it on the off chance that Oculus need to break compatibility again... which I don't forsee the need for.

Wallach

Got my hands on a DK2 for home use a couple days ago.

Windlands was my first go, and seems like a pretty fantastic game and one I'm probably going to recommend to folks when the CV1 ships. I will say that while I don't seem to get any nausea from the game, the vertigo can be pretty strong. I don't really know what the "comfort cages" are supposed to do but it doesn't really impact the sense of vertigo for me. Grappling a tree from a distance and not letting go if you swing underneath in particular is pretty dizzying.

Next up on my list is some driving games. Right now I've got Euro Truck Sim 2 and Dirt Rally on my short list, though I need to get a new wheel setup for the PC (eyeing the Thrustmaster VG TX set at the moment). Sounds like Assetto Corsa isn't quite up to date right now; do Project Cars or iRacing have issues on 0.8 runtime? Not sure which of those two I should check out first.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-confirms-no-official-support-for-oculus-rift

Frontier issued Eurogamer the following statement:

We've supported VR for a few years now, and Elite Dangerous is arguably the world's leading VR-ready game. We want to give players the best possible VR experience however they play - it's something we talked about with Digital Foundry recently - and that means focusing our efforts. Right now, we've chosen to focus on SteamVR. We haven't cut an exclusivity deal with any VR manufacturer, and we're still working with Oculus on Rift support.

Those within the game's community, however, might have seen this coming. Elite: Dangerous ceased to work with Oculus Rift builds post 0.6. Indeed the developer took to its own forum earlier this month to address concern about the headset ahead of pre-orders going live.

"With the news that Oculus are starting pre order of their consumer version tomorrow, I wanted to just make a quick post to confirm that we are still actively working with Oculus but currently the only SDK we are able to officially support is 0.6" community chief Zac Antonaci said.

Man I'm kind of dissapointed with myself for not pre-ordering a Rift. Guess I'll have to wait to see what the Vive brings. The's games look to awesome in VR to pass up.

WarpathDC

This OP needs to updated but a great list so far. Budget Cuts should have been packed in with Vive over the office simulator. Torn between the headsets now

will end up with both at some point

This OP needs to updated but a great list so far. Budget Cuts should have been packed in with Vive over the office simulator. Torn between the headsets now

will end up with both at some point

Yeah. I should update it if I have the time. Since the day I made this thread, far more titles were announced. Just yesterday after the Vive price reveal, some dev released their trailer for their game.

Computerbase has an article about VR games in 2016.

(They count 171)

Oh. Gallery is being released at the Vive launch.
A bit strange though. I would have expected that they would pack that game in besides sth. like Job Simulator.

Edit: And the list is a bit strange. Allison Road is supposed to come out for "PC VR" but in the list they just mark it for Oculus and PSVR.

Durante

A bit strange though. I would have expected that they would pack that game in besides sth. like Job Simulator.

Edit: And the list is a bit strange. Allison Road is supposed to come out for "PC VR" but in the list they just mark it for Oculus and PSVR.
Yeah, I saw a few missing entries for Vive. I think it's fair to expect anything not paid for by Oculus or Sony to come to Vive.

(And everything paid for by Oculus after someone writes a wrapper)

Yeah, I saw a few missing entries for Vive. I think it's fair to expect anything not paid for by Oculus or Sony to come to Vive.

(And everything paid for by Oculus after someone writes a wrapper)

I just hope someone "cracks" the Oculus DRM so people with other headsets can also enjoy those games.

Gangxxter

Is there somewhere a comparison list of games on which platform they will be released? Preferably in form of a table.

Overload, a Descent-like game, currently KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...mate-six-degree-of-freedom-shoote/description

Overload-gif.gif

VIVE, RIFT AND PSVR SUPPORT PLANNED FOR OVERLOAD

http://vrfocus.com/archives/30020/vive-rift-and-psvr-support-planned-for-overload/

Null of Hope - A VR RPG game inside a game inside a game (or sth. like that), also KS

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadearcade/null-of-hope-retro-gaming-evolved/description

34708c05f71133040ee63t7k0n.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Is Gallery going to be Vive only for now? I'm in on the kickstarter for that but only currently getting an OR

Is Gallery going to be Vive only for now? I'm in on the kickstarter for that but only currently getting an OR

Right now it has only been announced for the Vive according to the official website:

http://www.thegallerygame.com/blog/

Afaik they use a lot of roomscale/VR controller stuff, so it might come on the Oculus when they launch their system.
Here a recent interview/gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QraBOeN_6xs

Just saw the video: The dev said they are porting it to Oculus Touch.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I just hope someone "cracks" the Oculus DRM so people with other headsets can also enjoy those games.

I can't think of any other PC software that is "locked" to hardware. Exclusivity to headsets is dumb as hell. People should be able to add support for whatever hardware they want.

Lol, DRM.

It's like saying someone should "crack" Windows games to make them work in Linux. It's just a software issue. A game isn't magically capable of using whatever headset you want, it needs to be coded for it.

artsi

Lol, DRM.

It's like saying someone should "crack" Windows games to make them work in Linux. It's just a software issue. A game isn't magically capable of using whatever headset you want, it needs to be coded for it.

Yep.

I'd imagine it would be possible to create a wrapper of some sort to convert Oculus SDK functions to SteamVR alternatives, but it might not be so simple depending on the game and SDK features used (Oculus SDK might have something SteamVR doesn't and the other way around).

Nzyme32

Looks like Three One Zero have backpedalled regarding other VR PC headset support for Adr1ft, it's Rift only on PC (for now): http://steamcommunity.com/app/300060/discussions/0/405692224238431014/#c405692224243165883

last Spring they announced it would come to Rift, Vive and PSVR.

I figured there will be more like this, either prioritising one or two over the other, or being paid off for an exclusivity period to be touted. I expect it more for the visually pretty than anything else while companies search for something marketable. Meanwhile Valve will likely do nothing as per.

Adr1ft wont come to the Vive (yet):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/300060/discussions/0/405692224238431014/#c405692224243165883

Hi Monky, sorry about that -- the Steam version of ADR1FT will be Windows only with no current plans for HTC Vive or Razer OSVR at this time. That said, I will communicate to the dev team that folks have been asking about Vive and Razer OSVR.

Seriously...

Yep.

I'd imagine it would be possible to create a wrapper of some sort to convert Oculus SDK functions to SteamVR alternatives, but it might not be so simple depending on the game and SDK features used (Oculus SDK might have something SteamVR doesn't and the other way around).

I just hope something will happen. I mean people put more money on the table for these things than a normal console. It just sucks...

I just hope something will happen. I mean people put more money on the table for these things than a normal console. It just sucks...

Yes it does, as I said in the "The price of the Oculus Rift is too low" thread the only problem that I have with the price after reading up on the Vive and Rift is that the more money they lose per headset the more they will try to make up with software. This isn't technically a bad thing except that it leads to something that I thought was a no no for the PC environment... exclusives. I personally think that exclusives locked to what is essentially a form of display is silly. I don't care if it gets locked down to a storefront or something because that is where they will make most of their money and is perfectly understandable. But the way that it seems to be heading now is like only being able to play certain games on my ASUS monitor... (So maybe not quite like that but you get what I am saying.)

This is the reason that I haven't put down a preorder for either headset yet and I honestly feel scared to do so until this whole business with exclusivity is sorted out. Which is sad because I would love to be a first adopter and help support VR. But on one hand I want to be able to enjoy a certain experience (roomscale) and on the other hand I want to be able to enjoy multiple types of experiences with different games.

I just built a PC to get away from exclusivity crap and it felt freeing and seeing it happen to VR now is worrying.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Someone needs to make a good VR Golf game.
With the Vive it could be really amazing in the room tracking.. it would need to render the whole coarse and let you have a cart and driver that drives you from shot to shot but being able to stand behind your ball and move around the green for gaging slope etc would be really cool.

Great list but aren't quite a few of those only exclusive to the Rift?
Maybe we need a tag next to them.

The thing is that the "exclusivity" is not final yet. Palmer Luckey said sth. like "If other HMD devs want to access the Oculus store, they can."
So we dont know if its a hardware exclusivity or if Vive can access the Oculus store or not.

Qassim

The thing is that the "exclusivity" is not final yet. Palmer Luckey said sth. like "If other HMD devs want to access the Oculus store, they can."
So we dont know if its a hardware exclusivity or if Vive can access the Oculus store or not.

It doesn't matter if the Vive can access the store or not if the games aren't written to the SteamVR SDK. I think all Palmer is saying there is that they won't prevent games that have SteamVR SDK support (for example) from being sold on the Oculus Store and being able to be used directly from that Oculus Store by SteamVR headsets.

Someone needs to make a good VR Golf game.
With the Vive it could be really amazing in the room tracking.. it would need to render the whole coarse and let you have a cart and driver that drives you from shot to shot but being able to stand behind your ball and move around the green for gaging slope etc would be really cool.

Yeah, at the end of this article he talks about how the miniature golf demo from windlands was his favorite experience so I can see how a full fledged golf game would work great. The whole thing is a surprisingly good read from engadget considering it's not an apple product lol. Then again, I haven't kept up with that site for a while.

fred

Great thread!

I wonder if I can find a bookie that will allow me to place a bet on either Dreadhalls or Alien Isolation being the cause of the first VR-related fatality..? lol

I'm going to be jumping on every single horror game I can get my hands on, but I'm quite fit and have regular check-ups so I should survive lmfao :eek:D

Have built the first part of my VR PC:

Intel i7 6700K CPU
Asus Maximus Ranger Motherboard
16GB Hyper X Fury Black DDR4
EVGA G2 850W Power Supply

Yes, I know it may look like I've gone overboard with the PSU but I'm planning on running 2 x Pascal/Polaris GPUs in SLI/Crossfire at a later date.

Am using the iGPU in the Skylake at the moment until AMD and NVidia get off their arses and release their Polaris/Pascal GPUs. Am probably going to go for a Polaris I reckon, AMD may be a bit shite with releasing their drivers but those Asychronous Shaders will be worth their weight in gold for VR gaming. I'm still hoping that NVidia have been busy sorting out the same for their Pascal GPUs, which may explain why they've been delayed by a year, but I'm doubtful that it's going to happen.

Can't believe that after 30 years of waiting that I'm FINALLY going to enjoy VR gaming goodness!!! :eek:)

Top Bottom