• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The war on exclusives is a war on industry itself. Here's why.

It has became a Very controversial topic thanks to port begging non stop cry, but the truth needs to be said.

All the "pro consumer" talk about realising all games for all platforms somehow sounds a Lot like the whole "diversity" talk by big corrupted media and radical left. Obviously I dont any intention to make It about polítics ir idelogy, but notice the similar patterns and narrative and be aware already of How distructive is the outcoms.

On paper, on that superficial propaganda, both sound so... Peaceful, loving, caring, so humanitarian, everyone sharing the same games, everyone happy, so cute and adorable!

At the same time, anyone who opposes to It, look How the narrative drives into make these people who oppose It completely demonized and emarrassed because they are so afraid of losing their prescious jewls that they are so proud of and How they are evil and egoistic.

What these people dont realize is that, similarly to the diversity talk, the whole agenda behind It is pretty much destructive for the industry itself. Understsand the anti-exclusive agenda as the diversity talk and the industry as the society Going downhill with this.

People who feed this agenda dont realize that It hás nothing to do with being egoistic or fanboy, its about defending Value and IDENTITY, and this has a striking negative effect for the industry. This is exactly like the diversity effect on society: we lose our identity and value for a false premise of virtue. You are not making the world a more peaceful place with this, forget about It!

Try to make your mind get back to the Golden era of Nintendo vs Sega rivalry. It was absolutely beautiful How both of them made so much effort into bringing the best content they could provide, and thanks to that rivalry, so many classic games from both were born, and the most important aspect of this is, without a doubt, their identity, wich made them both unique in their own way and so much desirable. One is the Mario videogame system and the other was the Sonic one, both top tier games that despite the each ones personal preferences, everyone loved. This was the generation that having both consoles made so much sense, we were Just kids with limites budget so having more than one platform were not the usual Idea back then.

We should not support this pretentious false virtue "love for everyone" narrative. Its simply destructive. We need more and more platform to build their identity and conserve its value and that IS healthy for the industry, that represents the best motivation a Dev team can get to release top tier classic game that makes their main character one and the same with the platform.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
796146.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don’t have a concrete position, but I do think there’s something special about each platform having it’s own experiences. As we see more and more games (at first it was third party; now it’s first party) release on everything, the consoles themselves feel less exciting, less interesting.

Moreover, exclusives can more properly target the technical advantages of a specific console, resulting in a better experience. It’s the rare multiplatform game, like RDR2 that just looks amazing anyway.

Likewise, I think that interests consumers more, from a business standpoint. Nobody normal really cares or can tell that one system outperforms the others. Exclusives though? Those speak, and create an identity. Just look at the Nintendo Switch, which without its exclusives, would be be a fairly boring, if impressive handheld that just played de-rezzed versions of third party games. Instead, it’s the gateway to a magical bunch of games, and that reshapes the whole perception of the platform, and the sales figures have spoken.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We've officially made everything political now, huh?

One group started that. We just exist in the world they created through constant ideological bombardment in every facet of gaming, from media, to forums that ban you for thinking wrong, to the games themselves. This is how people see things now.

Anita’s Sarkeesian’s comment of ‘Everything is political’ was widely mocked, but people of the same mindset, as they tend to do, forced the derangement into becoming reality.

Last edited:
the radical left?

holy shit, it's time to step outside, sunshine

don't forget your mask, there's a pandemic

Dont want to turn this into politics whatsoever.

Its Just that its tiresome the false anti consumer talk making a false judgement of peoples view.

If You support the war on exclusives and the distruction on platforms identity (wich is good for the industry), You are a bad person and Just a radical fanboy.

Understsand my position: I dont PS exclusives to Go to any other platform at the same time I'd love to see MS investing on XSX only games

I am personally looking forward to playing Ori on Switch. I don't care what rush limbaugh thinks about metroidvania design. You can't play those games when you're nodding off so much.

If people are okay with Xbox exclusives going to PC then I don't see the harm in Sony porting any of their PlayStation exclusives on PC as well.

No one gets upset with Japanese developers putting games like Dragon Quest XI on Steam, which is a game you might say people would normally buy a PlayStation to play, so why get bent out of shape when Sony does something similar with an exclusive like Horizon? You can still play these games on the PS4.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Eh, let the companies making the games decide that. MS thought it was worth it so they did it. If Sony did conclude it was also worthwhile for them, let them, although i wish they made their position more clear.

Last edited:

Mmnow

First party output is really important for setting the tone of your console, and for showing what's possible with it. That'll bring people into your ecosystem one way or another.

You can do that perfectly - even more successfully - without it being a pure exclusive.

You'd have to be soft in the head to think that other people playing games somehow makes them worse. Then again, any mention of the radical left kinda implies someone had a victim complex a mile wide.

And from a business perspective, you're expecting Sony or whoever to ignore tens of millions of potential sales just so you can come on message boards and brag about being able to buy The Last of Us, a game you had absolutely no input in but that you want to claim ownership of.

This sort of us vs them attitude is toxic. Its bad enough in politics, why the hell do we tolerate it in video games?

Riozel

Neo Member
I get the allure of consoles and console generations, but I really feel like the industry needs to move beyond that whole exclusivity nonsense already. I just want to pick up games like pretty much every other kind of media without having to be tied up to certain hardware, that's one of the main reasons I pretty much stick to PC these days.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Exclusives made sense in a world where all the hardware was vastly different. The Genesis and SNES were COMPLETELY different machines. The PS1 and N64 were totally different in every way. The PS2, Xbox, and GameCube all had vastly different hardware. Porting the games from one to the other basically involved totally different engines and the end results of the games could be very different. Over time dev got better at this but it still made sense for a studio to say, hey, let's focus on one platform here.

Now, the PS5 and Series X are basically the same machine. There are small differences but getting one game to work on both platforms is not nearly what it used to be. And to boot, both platforms are based on commonly available PC hardware. So getting that game to run on the PC is relatively trivial now too. Not just that, but MS has spent the past 10 years trying to make it as easy as possible for their devs to write a game that runs on both Xbox and PC. The companies that put out engines have put a ton of effort into making them cross platform. Etc.

Ultimately it just doesn't make sense to wall off your game to one platform anymore. The audiences are too big to ignore, the money is too much. That's why the only times publishers do it is when they basically get bribed by the hardware manufacturer to do it, because (I guess) they go to Sony or MS and say, look, we can skip the Xbox, we can skip the PlayStation, but it will cost us $X, let us know.

Last edited:

Airola

I don't know what to think about the political comparisons in OP but if I could decide if would certainly force every console have only exclusives, or if they'd have "same" games they should be made different in one way or another.

I loved how Jurassic Park on Nintendo and Sega were completely different games.
And even when games weren't that different, there were different colors and sounds in each console. That gave both the games and the consoles a sense of identity. Hell, even the NHL games had different colored ice on Nintendo and Sega (and of course different sounding music too).

The Wii was the last console to bring that to games. Dead Space and Dead Rising were drastically different from the other versions. Ghostbusters looked completely different too. Not just because of lower resolution but because of the graphical design itself.
Well, maybe Wii U did that too with additional game modes and mechanics because of the screen on the controller. Switch still had the screen but lost the use of it game designwise what comes to ports.
Today, the identity of consoles and games is dead and gone.

It has became a Very controversial topic thanks to port begging non stop cry, but the truth needs to be said.

All the "pro consumer" talk about realising all games for all platforms somehow sounds a Lot like the whole "diversity" talk by big corrupted media and radical left. Obviously I dont any intention to make It about polítics ir idelogy, but notice the similar patterns and narrative and be aware already of How distructive is the outcoms.

On paper, on that superficial propaganda, both sound so... Peaceful, loving, caring, so humanitarian, everyone sharing the same games, everyone happy, so cute and adorable!

At the same time, anyone who opposes to It, look How the narrative drives into make these people who oppose It completely demonized and emarrassed because they are so afraid of losing their prescious jewls that they are so proud of and How they are evil and egoistic.

What these people dont realize is that, similarly to the diversity talk, the whole agenda behind It is pretty much destructive for the industry itself. Understsand the anti-exclusive agenda as the diversity talk and the industry as the society Going downhill with this.

People who feed this agenda dont realize that It hás nothing to do with being egoistic or fanboy, its about defending Value and IDENTITY, and this has a striking negative effect for the industry. This is exactly like the diversity effect on society: we lose our identity and value for a false premise of virtue. You are not making the world a more peaceful place with this, forget about It!

Try to make your mind get back to the Golden era of Nintendo vs Sega rivalry. It was absolutely beautiful How both of them made so much effort into bringing the best content they could provide, and thanks to that rivalry, so many classic games from both were born, and the most important aspect of this is, without a doubt, their identity, wich made them both unique in their own way and so much desirable. One is the Mario videogame system and the other was the Sonic one, both top tier games that despite the each ones personal preferences, everyone loved. This was the generation that having both consoles made so much sense, we were Just kids with limites budget so having more than one platform were not the usual Idea back then.

We should not support this pretentious false virtue "love for everyone" narrative. Its simply destructive. We need more and more platform to build their identity and conserve its value and that IS healthy for the industry, that represents the best motivation a Dev team can get to release top tier classic game that makes their main character one and the same with the platform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katechon

It seems that it's only the hardcore fanboys/gatekeeps that want to keep exclusives for their precious boxes, when both Phil and Jim personally have said their games will be going to PC. You can't make this shit up in 2020, as you can easily read it straight from the horses mouth.

Both Phil and Jim realized how much money there is to be made, and both jumped at the opportunity to do so. Sorry, but not sorry.

kikii

If people are okay with Xbox exclusives going to PC then I don't see the harm in Sony porting any of their PlayStation exclusives on PC as well.

No one gets upset with Japanese developers putting games like Persona 5 or Dragon Quest XI on Steam, both of which are great games you might say people would normally buy a PlayStation to play, so why get bent out of shape when Sony does something similar with an exclusive like Horizon? You can still play these games on the PS4.
few exclusives on PC doesnt mean that all are, and only 1 1st party which is HZD so meow

Dont want to turn this into politics whatsoever.

Its Just that its tiresome the false anti consumer talk making a false judgement of peoples view.

If You support the war on exclusives and the distruction on platforms identity (wich is good for the industry), You are a bad person and Just a radical fanboy.

Understsand my position: I dont PS exclusives to Go to any other platform at the same time I'd love to see MS investing on XSX only games

*If You dont support

I meant the opposite.

My opinion is... Let all platforms shine, each one with its own jewels.

I want Valve to make halflie exclusive to PC. Halo exclusive to Xbox. God Of War exclusive to PS and so on...

Maybe then... We can Focus the war on games wich really matter like in the past with Mario vs Sonic instead of teraflops, 2 frames or 20 pixels more and shit. Quality would arise for everyone, identity is built, every platform has its value and identity.

Outrunner

Maybe then... We can Focus the war on games wich really matter like in the past with Mario vs Sonic instead of teraflops, 2 frames or 20 pixels more and shit. Quality would arise for everyone, identity is built, every platform has its value and identity.

Yeah, because graphics and specs didn't matter back then... :messenger_unamused:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Bla bla bla... "media"... Bla bla "propaganda"... "diversity"...

Had to check URL to see if I was on Resetera.

Also op, i understand your fear. The first party exclusives is the only thing Sony has going for them, and it would suck for you if you lost your identity by giving everyone access to your games.

I can give you a hug if you need it.
tenor.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s not about “ love “ it’s about being #1 40 years from now when there are only game services and no dedicated hardware. Tablets and mobile devices are already taken customers away even today.

Vick

Basically it's:

"LEAVE MY EXCLUSIVES ALONE!
Otherwise how else I can strongly identify with my favorite brand and cherish every single one of its commercial triumphs as if my own life was better because of them?!"
Sure it is, if your IQ is equal to the total amount of your fingers.

*If You dont support

I meant the opposite.

My opinion is... Let all platforms shine, each one with its own jewels.

I want Valve to make halflie exclusive to PC. Halo exclusive to Xbox. God Of War exclusive to PS and so on...

Gamers have always focused on power, resolution and framerate alongside talking about games. What are you talking about?

Early into the PS4/Xbox One generation, people couldn't shut up about 1080p vs 900p.

Last edited:
It seems that it's only the hardcore fanboys/gatekeeps that want to keep exclusives for their precious boxes, when both Phil and Jim personally have said their games will be going to PC. You can't make this shit up in 2020, as you can easily read it straight from the horses mouth.

Both Phil and Jim realized how much money there is to be made, and both jumped at the opportunity to do so. Sorry, but not sorry.
Exactly what the op was talking about

Want exclusives? You're a petty fanboy.

Nahh, can't be about making a unique experience anymore. Which hurts PC just as much as console.

When was the last game that pushed PC specs so far that it had it's own meme? Can it run crysis? What about Half-life and Half-life 2? Nahh fuck it, let's make the next half-life a cookie cutter piece of crap to run on everything from a toaster to a super-computer. It won't impact the design at all.

OT: One reason i'm looking forward to PSVR2 is for the unique experiences.

If You want to play Mario and Zelda so much, support the platform maker that made those games into existence and buy a Nintendo platform, the same for evey other platform.

But If You are not willing to spend money to grab another platform and support the Very ones that made the games You want so much, Just humble yourself and learn to appreciate what you have instead of lusting what someone else have and cry about it all the time with the bs anti-consumer talk, cause no one is stopping you to have It other than yourself

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Gamers have always focused on power and framerate alongside talking about games. What are you talking about?

Early into the PS4/Xbox One generation, people couldn't shut up about 1080p vs 900p.

He's talking about pre Xbox One X era.

top of 2019 on Steam

lpGZf8W.png
Thanks for proving my point?

8 of those games are on consoles.

The PC used to fill the gap that the consoles couldn't and visa versa.

PC : RTS, high end FPS, Point and Click, isometric RPGs
Console: 2D and 3D platformers, arena battle games, simplified run n gun fps

those examples are rough and ready off of the top of my head, but it was better when owning ALL hardware (PC and consoles) was rewarding. Now it's fucking pointless. Pick one box, it doesn't really matter which one, there's no major differences between them

Top Bottom