• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The war on exclusives is a war on industry itself. Here's why.

Reave

This "bad thing for the gaming industry" narrative is beyond overblown. I think this is perfectly fine.

When I buy an expensive new console, I want to feel like I now have access to experiences I that can't easily get elsewhere. But over the years, with the exception of the usual 1st party assortments, Xbox and PS felt the same, more or less... just a controller swap.

I, for one, grew tired of that. It made things feel stagnant and boring because there were too many common denominators shared to really feel like there was such a thing as a true and actual "PlayStation experience" and "Xbox experience."

But now, with acquisitions like MS/Bethesda or Sony/Insomniac or Sony/Final Fantasy happening, it finally feels like Sony and MS are marking their territories and drawing some (long overdue) lines in the sand to truly distinguish themselves from one another.

WolfusFh

This "bad thing for the gaming industry" narrative is beyond overblown. I think this is perfectly fine.

When I buy an expensive new console, I want to feel like I now have access to experiences I that can't easily get elsewhere. But over the years, with the exception of the usual 1st party assortments, Xbox and PS felt the same, more or less... just a controller swap.

I, for one, grew tired of that. It made things feel stagnant and boring because there were too many common denominators shared to really feel like there was such a thing as a true and actual "PlayStation experience" and "Xbox experience."

But now, with acquisitions like MS/Bethesda or Sony/Insomniac or Sony/Final Fantasy happening, it finally feels like Sony and MS are marking their territories and drawing some (long overdue) lines in the sand to truly distinguish themselves from one another.

That's what you want to feel. Which is a personal thing. Not a criteria companies should follow. And not a criteria that defines it's effect on the market.

As far as I am concerned, exclusives or lack thereof aren't inherently bad or good for the industry. I don't see anyone pointing some evidence of that. They're just giving abstract arbitrary reasons such as "feeling the greatness of the console" or "having the comfort to access all in one platform". All of these are personal subjective points.

Fuz

Banned
It has became a Very controversial topic thanks to port begging non stop cry, but the truth needs to be said.

All the "pro consumer" talk about realising all games for all platforms somehow sounds a Lot like the whole "diversity" talk by big corrupted media and radical left. Obviously I dont any intention to make It about polítics ir idelogy, but notice the similar patterns and narrative and be aware already of How distructive is the outcoms.

On paper, on that superficial propaganda, both sound so... Peaceful, loving, caring, so humanitarian, everyone sharing the same games, everyone happy, so cute and adorable!

At the same time, anyone who opposes to It, look How the narrative drives into make these people who oppose It completely demonized and emarrassed because they are so afraid of losing their prescious jewls that they are so proud of and How they are evil and egoistic.

What these people dont realize is that, similarly to the diversity talk, the whole agenda behind It is pretty much destructive for the industry itself. Understsand the anti-exclusive agenda as the diversity talk and the industry as the society Going downhill with this.

People who feed this agenda dont realize that It hás nothing to do with being egoistic or fanboy, its about defending Value and IDENTITY, and this has a striking negative effect for the industry. This is exactly like the diversity effect on society: we lose our identity and value for a false premise of virtue. You are not making the world a more peaceful place with this, forget about It!

Try to make your mind get back to the Golden era of Nintendo vs Sega rivalry. It was absolutely beautiful How both of them made so much effort into bringing the best content they could provide, and thanks to that rivalry, so many classic games from both were born, and the most important aspect of this is, without a doubt, their identity, wich made them both unique in their own way and so much desirable. One is the Mario videogame system and the other was the Sonic one, both top tier games that despite the each ones personal preferences, everyone loved. This was the generation that having both consoles made so much sense, we were Just kids with limites budget so having more than one platform were not the usual Idea back then.

We should not support this pretentious false virtue "love for everyone" narrative. Its simply destructive. We need more and more platform to build their identity and conserve its value and that IS healthy for the industry, that represents the best motivation a Dev team can get to release top tier classic game that makes their main character one and the same with the platform.

Orta

Banned
Sony started this when they started throwing money around in the 90's for exclusive rights to Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, etc and buying up developers like Psygnosis.

theclaw135

Banned
Sony started this when they started throwing money around in the 90's for exclusive rights to Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, etc and buying up developers like Psygnosis.

Those were bad deals, for Sony. Games that already sold gangbusters on Playstation and a fraction anywhere else.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It has became a Very controversial topic thanks to port begging non stop cry, but the truth needs to be said.

All the "pro consumer" talk about realising all games for all platforms somehow sounds a Lot like the whole "diversity" talk by big corrupted media and radical left. Obviously I dont any intention to make It about polítics ir idelogy, but notice the similar patterns and narrative and be aware already of How distructive is the outcoms.

On paper, on that superficial propaganda, both sound so... Peaceful, loving, caring, so humanitarian, everyone sharing the same games, everyone happy, so cute and adorable!

At the same time, anyone who opposes to It, look How the narrative drives into make these people who oppose It completely demonized and emarrassed because they are so afraid of losing their prescious jewls that they are so proud of and How they are evil and egoistic.

What these people dont realize is that, similarly to the diversity talk, the whole agenda behind It is pretty much destructive for the industry itself. Understsand the anti-exclusive agenda as the diversity talk and the industry as the society Going downhill with this.

People who feed this agenda dont realize that It hás nothing to do with being egoistic or fanboy, its about defending Value and IDENTITY, and this has a striking negative effect for the industry. This is exactly like the diversity effect on society: we lose our identity and value for a false premise of virtue. You are not making the world a more peaceful place with this, forget about It!

Try to make your mind get back to the Golden era of Nintendo vs Sega rivalry. It was absolutely beautiful How both of them made so much effort into bringing the best content they could provide, and thanks to that rivalry, so many classic games from both were born, and the most important aspect of this is, without a doubt, their identity, wich made them both unique in their own way and so much desirable. One is the Mario videogame system and the other was the Sonic one, both top tier games that despite the each ones personal preferences, everyone loved. This was the generation that having both consoles made so much sense, we were Just kids with limites budget so having more than one platform were not the usual Idea back then.

We should not support this pretentious false virtue "love for everyone" narrative. Its simply destructive. We need more and more platform to build their identity and conserve its value and that IS healthy for the industry, that represents the best motivation a Dev team can get to release top tier classic game that makes their main character one and the same with the platform.

This is amazing. Now wanting people of different races, ethnicities, religions, backgrounds, thought, and sexual orientation to work for a company is now bad. And you are comparing video game exclusives, to THAT!?! What is this world coming to?

Dr Kaneda

Personally I like exclusives a little because there's something exciting about picking up a console years down the line and finally getting to play a backlog of great games you never had the chance of playing before/anywhere else.

WolfusFh

This is amazing. Now wanting people of different races, ethnicities, religions, backgrounds, thought, and sexual orientation to work for a company is now bad. And you are comparing video game exclusives, to THAT!?! What is this world coming to?

That's not what he is saying is bad. He is most likely (not a good written post) saying that forcing these things upon the companies and/or claiming that the lack of said things automatically means the company/creator practices discrimination is what is really bad.
Don't want to get more into this subject, so I'm just saying that when someone is complaining about this, this might be the thought process. It's not instaneously what you said.

His comparison to the exclusivity is within the "forced" perspective. Which yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense. He is saying people want to force the end of exclusivity? I'm not aware of this happening. I'm also not aware of people saying companies are bad when they make exclusives. Maybe I missed some event. Glad I did, if that's the case.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's not what he is saying is bad. He is most likely (not a good written post) saying that forcing these things upon the companies and/or claiming that the lack of said things automatically means the company/creator practices discrimination is what is really bad.
Don't want to get more into this subject, so I'm just saying that when someone is complaining about this, this might be the thought process. It's not instaneously what you said.

His comparison to the exclusivity is within the "forced" perspective. Which yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense. He is saying people want to force the end of exclusivity? I'm not aware of this happening. I'm also not aware of people saying companies are bad when they make exclusives. Maybe I missed some event. Glad I did, if that's the case.

Okay, you wrote the explanation better than he did. That.....I can understand to a degree.

To the games part, YES some people are really pushing the end of exclusivity for games. It's weird to me too. It all started this year for some reason.

WolfusFh

Okay, you wrote the explanation better than he did. That.....I can understand to a degree.

To the games part, YES some people are really pushing the end of exclusivity for games. It's weird to me too. It all started this year for some reason.

I wasn't aware of that. Like I said in a previous post, I don't think exclusivity is inherently a bad or good thing. It's a choice the company is making based on the profit of the game and the console and how one affects the other.

Saying that the companies should be forced to end exclusivity or saying that it's an evil thing wouldn't make any sense.

Asking for more ports or less exclusive games is a reasonable statement from consumers interested in their particular conditions. It is perfectly fine to express interest in playing some game in your platform. Demanding it, not so much.

Doesn't mean that the companies listening to some of these requests is a bad thing either, like I said. It may have no effect on the game's quality and original market, so it's a good thing more people are playing the game.

However I feel that this threads exist just to continue this silly console war thing, like most posts in this forum for some reason.

Zaffo

You deserve playing an exclusive when you actually support those who made It possible in the First place. If You really want It enough, You go for it and get the platform of the Company that funded the game and made it possible

Are you assuming that i pirate games or something?
What makes games possible is people buying them, the only thing exclusive do is drawing consumers to a specific platform in order to make profits for the platform holder.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Wish granted?

I dunno OP. Bethesda going exclusively Microsoft makes the future look more bleak rather than more hopeful to me. I'd rather have the next Elder Scrolls on every platform under the sun.

Don't feel too bad though. I'm not interested in joining the dog pile. I have a genuine silver lining for you. Long term, Bethesda games going third party will leave a vacuum that will be filled first by immitators, then innovators. Instead of being series, the Elder Scrolls and Fallout may become the touchstone works in their own genres.

Sony may even sponsor their own exclusive Skyrim-like at some point in the generation, which is something you wanted and I would very much like to see in their lineup. So keep your chin up. We'll have to wait and see.

Top Bottom