• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 PS4 gameplay

Steez

i0X4xFswnReW5.png

I'm no expert, but the colors seems a little off here?

If by off you mean amazing. I always loved the more stylized skybox in the Witcher games. Gives off this semi-otherworldly vibe.

Loakum

Banned
Apologies, you are indeed rational. Still there will be others that only focus on those tiny issues and totally miss the incredible game in front of them, which I find kind of sad.

It's actually impressive to see the trees swaying in the wind, horseback riding, and the level of graphical detail. Not to mention the lighting is amazing. Especially for a game of it's size. Yeah, I'm pretty amazed.

Dredd97

Comparing the two they seem very close... but that silky 60 FPS framerate on PC, definitley adds to the feeling of atmosphere, IMHO.

your not wrong sir, but I'm going to stick with the ps4 version and pick this up on pc in the future

SaberEdge

See, guys, everything turned out ok. :)

Seriously, I'm surprised how good the PS4 version looks and runs. Most open world games I've played on console have inconsistent framerates. This looks pretty solid.

misho8723

Banned
I might be the only one slightly disappointed in the aesthetic of the Witcher 3 forests so far.

I know we are just seeing a small slice of the world, and I know open world vs. zones but after having re-played parts of Witcher 2 recently, the aesthetic and personality of the forests in this game can't quite live up to Flotsam Forest.

However the fact I actually have an open world Witcher trumps that one minor complaint!

Well there are normal looking forests in the Witcher world too, you know :) I can show you pictures of the forests around my house and I can say that they look like that gif forest

Mr Rivuz

What a huge disappointment.

No Kinga :(

The game looks awesome. My only concern was about the framerate, but it looks pretty smooth in this clips. Can't wait to play this game.

Ps4 is 1080p and X1 900p.
Looks good hope the X1 does the same bit but on 900p..

I could swear they said all the assets and such are the same on both, just rendered at a slightly lower resolution on XBO. Whether there will be any measurable performance difference we likely won't know until a DF article.

Loakum

Banned
Looks like they have a set number of trees allowed to be rendered and when it reaches the limit it gets rid of other ones... though being that close to the camera is a bit jarring

That's minor, but just look at the level of detail, from every inch of the scenery. This is an open world 200 hour plus game. How they manage to keep the framerate this steady is a feat on to itself. I can't lie to being very impressed!

SaberEdge

Aggressive occlusion culling. Devs of Witcher showcased it before, and said that this is the crucial way how they managed to optimize game to run so well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPm3NXWcEec

Actually, that's something completely different. The culling occurs on objects that are occluded (i.e. behind some other object and not visible). The fading out of objects between Geralt and the camera is not occlusion culling. It's simply done because of the density of foliage in the game and the devs wanted our view to be obstructed as little as possible.

even by youtube standards this is a fucking god awful upload. other than the much worse popin, the quality is too low to even bother trying to compare to the pc videos.

Kinthalis

Banned
Aggressive occlusion culling. Devs of Witcher showcased it before, and said that this is the crucial way how they managed to optimize game to run so well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPm3NXWcEec

In the perfect world, user should never be aware that this is happening [only invisible objects are removed], but bugs in this system could wreck real chaos really fast. :D

Thats not occlusion culling. That is deliberate rem9val of the object blocking your view.

Occlusion culling is when geometry being blocked by other geometry isnt being worked on by the engine And wasting resources.

Jedi2016

Given how the PC version would look under similar compression, I have to say it looks about the same to me. Hopefully we'll have a Gamersyde video soon we can nitpick better.

UI looks better than it did in those leaked offscreen shots, not cluttering up the middle of the screen so much.

I think it looks great, short LOD distance nonwithstanding.
His hair doesn't always look that ... white, does it? Or am I thinking that up?
It was gray in Witcher 2, but it should be white because he is a "Albino" due to his mutations.
So actually his eyebrows should be white as well.

Majukun

taking in consideration the youtube compression..i don't see that much of a difference with the pc version...but probably is just that i don't really care about graphics so I'm not used to analyzing it..anyway my 970 is ready :p

I could swear they said all the assets and such are the same on both, just rendered at a slightly lower resolution on XBO. Whether there will be any measurable performance difference we likely won't know until a DF article.

I think much will be made of this way before DF gets a hold of it. Think GTA grass debate on steroids.

Bl@de

- Everything looks great except the noticable low grass shadow distance when riding
- Damn I want to play it in polish now. The ambient chatter fits perfectly :D Kurwa here, kurwa there, feels like home. German version will probably only have German/English audio :( But don't really want to import.

watched the poland video, compression isnt nearly as bad. looks like the pc version with worse lod basically. so much for the hyped ultra settings

Jonm1010

Banned
Well there are normal looking forests in the Witcher world too, you know :) I can show you pictures of the forests around my house and I can say that they look like that gif forest

Its not just the huge towering trees. It was the personality of Flotsam. The fallen branches with moss and plants growing over them, the dead trees, roots growing through and over rocks, puddles accumulating in small areas. It just gave off that atmosphere of a living breathing forest.

Its an open world game, I understand that level of craftsmanship is unrealistic. It was just a passing reflection.

Top Bottom