• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness PC performance thread

jaypah

I'm assuming you're talking mainly about performance and presentation? Because the problems associated with this type of locomotion surely need to be addressed before it can be an amazing VR game in general.

I don't understand. How can people be absolutely fine playing Windlands (myself included) but not The Witness? Sure, some people can't handle some forms of locomotion in VR but, hell, there's a thread on GAF about people not being able to play The Witness on a tv without getting sick. Some people can't play FPS games at all but that doesn't mean that those games aren't amazing FPS games.

JulianImp

I tried to play it yesterday on my vaio laptop after coming home from work but it had really awful performance even at the lowest graphics quality and no vsync, repeatedly crashing at a particular part shortly after passing the first multi-lock gate.

After checking the Steam forums out I found the game logs and realized my laptop was trying to run the game with the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics card, which made me realize in turn that for some reason the laptop was missing the multi-video card drivers that'd allow me to swap the integrated graphics card for its discrete ATI one. After installing the drivers I was finally able to play the game without it dying on me, but I got some ridiculous slowdown (<10 fps) with graphics quality set to mid when I approached the Japanese-style temple for some reason, and it didn't appear to be related to the direction I was looking in, so I guess I'll be playing with graphics set to low to avoid those kinds of issues the next time I boot the game up.

I don't understand. How can people be absolutely fine playing Windlands (myself included) but not The Witness? Sure, some people can't handle some forms of locomotion in VR but, hell, there's a thread on GAF about people not being able to play The Witness on a tv without getting sick. Some people can't play FPS games at all but that doesn't mean that those games aren't amazing FPS games.
If the main locomotion system of the game relies on traditional input commands, that means it has fundamentally not been made with VR in mind. This is not specifically about getting sick. It's about being put in a category of 'amazing VR games'. If The Witness can be categorised as such, then basically any game with a first person perspective and decent performance can be too, and that surely undervalues all of the effort being put into from-the-ground-up VR games. I am not denying that this is an amazing first person game. I'm questioning whether it can be classified as an amazing VR game (at this stage).

Durante

I'm assuming you're talking mainly about performance and presentation? Because the problems associated with this type of locomotion surely need to be addressed before it can be an amazing VR game in general.
No, I'm talking about my experience. I'm the guy who could play 4 hours of KB/M HL2 VR mod on DK1 (!) and only feel slightly queasy. It's certainly not "market ready" or "mass market friendly" or whatever people love to throw around, but still a great experience.

My issues with it boil down mostly to my lowly 970 forcing me to look at shadows of a resolution I haven't seen since the mid-2000s and the deficiencies of DK2 tracking not allowing me to walk around. All I need now is a high-end Pascal GPU and a Vive!

viveks86

I wonder which headset would be better for a game like this with no motion controller support. Probably the Rift? Seems like it has better optics at the moment.

Durante

If you have space for a room-scale setup then certainly the Vive. I'd love to walk around in the puzzle areas, if only by a few meters, rather than using controller movement almost exclusively.

Wallach

This doesn't affect The Witness much. Movement speed is very slow and the game uses snap turning. Most of the value in the game (both aesthetically and gameplay-wise) is taken while standing still, rather than moving.

viveks86

If you have space for a room-scale setup then certainly the Vive. I'd love to walk around in the puzzle areas, if only by a few meters, rather than using controller movement almost exclusively.

Didn't realize that walking around within a limited space would still work out of the box. Vive it is, then! Would be awesome if they bring in full support for locomotion by the time it is out. Since the interactivity is limited to the panels, we don't really need anything more than that

Tain

Durante said:
My issues with it boil down mostly to my lowly 970 forcing me to look at shadows of a resolution I haven't seen since the mid-2000s and the deficiencies of DK2 tracking not allowing me to walk around. All I need now is a high-end Pascal GPU and a Vive!

Trying your config, I still get some slowdown in the swamps on my 980. Wonder if my 2600k is holding things back somehow, but further reducing resolutions does seem to lead to better performance...

Anybody here tried the experimental VR mode with a DK2? Apparently it's as easy as adding -vr to the start options.

http://www.theriftarcade.com/how-to-play-the-witness-on-the-oculus-rift/

I'll add this to the OP.

for the sake of my ego I'll chalk this up to GAF > Internet > GAF

Alastor3

Trying to run the variables but my game crash while launching...

58435f31e3c7c72e94c70b29ac53e87b.png

roytheone

The game actually runs ok on my old ass laptop. Sure, it's not as pretty as on my desktop, but good enough for quickly testing a solution idea when I get one.

Durante

Trying your config, I still get some slowdown in the swamps on my 980. Wonder if my 2600k is holding things back somehow, but further reducing resolutions does seem to lead to better performance...
Try to enable the rendering performance overlay in the Rift tool to see why you're dropping frames.

This doesn't affect The Witness much. Movement speed is very slow and the game uses snap turning. Most of the value in the game (both aesthetically and gameplay-wise) is taken while standing still, rather than moving.
It's not that slow when you run. What's this snap turning you're talking about? In any case, The Witness is already causing nausea on a screen for some, so I'm not so sure the slow pace and visual style is necessarily that helpful. I agree with your second point however. But I think finding a more VR-friendly way of getting between puzzle areas is important.

BraXzy

Is there a way to up the sensitivity for a controller on the PC version? There's only mouse options in the in-game menu.

Vexidus

I had huge success with my tweaking! I bumped down several settings and changed resolution to native on my monitor. Now it looks beautiful and runs smooth. I also changed vertical Fov to 64 and it's very comfortable to play. Here are the tweaks for anyone on a lower end card like me:

low_res_reflections false
sun_shadow_resolution 256
point_shadow_resolution 256
antialias_panel_rendering true
skip_mipmaps 1
msaa_sample_count 1
panel_render_width 512
render_width 1680
render_height 1050
dynamic_resolution false

Alastor3

Remove the line about shadow_quality or set it to 2.

Tried it, still crash, should I keep the /medium? Should I keep the two line that were there initially: disable_developer_shaders true, debug_shadow_maps false?

When I put them and remove the /medium, the game is running but only at 1 fps.
Im running the game with default setting, so it should take these changes.

I had huge success with my tweaking! I bumped down several settings and changed resolution to native on my monitor. Now it looks beautiful and runs smooth. I also changed vertical Fov to 64 and it's very comfortable to play. Here are the tweaks for anyone on a lower end card like me:

low_res_reflections false
antialias_panel_rendering true
skip_mipmaps 1
msaa_sample_count 1
panel_render_width 512
render_width 1680
render_height 1050
dynamic_resolution false

Crash for me. :(

megathor

Got this running great; it's gorgeous!- (maxed everything out on my 980Ti in work, my 970 at home seems to handle it just fine too)

Anyone know if I can disable the launcher (or at the very least, change the settings for the "Default" config?"

Wok

Tried it, still crash, should I keep the /medium? Should I keep the two line that were there initially: disable_developer_shaders true, debug_shadow_maps false?

When I put them and remove the /medium, the game is running but only at 1 fps.
Im running the game with default setting, so it should take these changes.

Crash for me. :(

I have some weird issues too now.

I am putting every setting to the cheapest cost value, disabling vsync and limiting max framerate to 30 FPS, only to get a very variable framerate... I think it depends on the in-game location.

Plus if I use the following, the game runs, but if I use the same settings with /medium or /low, the game crashes on start.

Code:
:/display
vsync false

:/render/high
low_res_reflections true
shadow_quality 2
antialias_panel_rendering false
skip_mipmaps 2
msaa_sample_count 1
aa_mode 0
panel_render_width 512
render_width 1920
render_height 1080
dynamic_resolution true

jaypah

Whoops.

That depends - how flexible is your definition of "some"?

No idea, I haven't done a study. But reading the comments of people who have played Windlands going back to the early demo version I didn't see any complaints, and I only use that game as a metric because it is pretty wild. Obviously there are people who have problems with it and folks who don't. I fall in the latter camp and have never experienced sickness from VR so I'm glad that devs leave hooks in their game to enable VR. Another reason why my main VR platform will always be PC.

epmode

Man, what is up with this game. I turn on my computer and the game is now running at about 30 FPS with G-Sync and no in-game vsync. These are the exact same settings that was giving me 144 FPS last night, and the game hasn't been patched since then.

Disabled G-Sync and the framerate shot way up. Re-enabled and it was back to 30 FPS.

Rebooted and everything's fine with G-Sync. I tried a few other games before rebooting and they were all OK.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone else get a "No forum available" error when trying to access the Steam discussion forum for this game? I was trying to find the patch notes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ah, I do keep an eye on the thread but didn't see your post from yesterday, however I've updated the "credit to" portion accordingly. Situations like this is why I recently added the following to my PC performance thread OPs (that is, the ones that didn't have it):

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss it otherwise.

Does anyone else get a "No forum available" error when trying to access the Steam discussion forum for this game? I was trying to find the patch notes.

A potential fix for people who have audio problems, plus a couple of fixes to people getting stuck outside of valid gameplay space.

conman

New 1GB update totally killed my framerate (GTX 970, i5 4570k, 8GB RAM). Had been getting some stutter, but now I'm getting seriously wacky framerates.

Blizzard

Banned
New 1GB update totally killed my framerate (GTX 970, i5 4570k, 8GB RAM). Had been getting some stutter, but now I'm getting seriously wacky framerates.
I had some weird framerate the first time I loaded (GTX 770), but restarting the game fixed it for some reason. Try that?

(If not, make sure to tweet @Jonathan_Blow or post in the forum since they're actively working on all this)

Omikron

Hopefully I can fix my issues I had last night which were bad stutter / frame drops for no apparent reason. Usually when turning left or right, but at any speed. Actually made me feel kinda unwell as it dipped into the 20s even in the opening tunnel area.

Specs I would think should be able to handle this game on high... 970 OC, 4771 etc.

Blizzard

Banned
Hopefully I can fix my issues I had last night which were bad stutter / frame drops for no apparent reason. Usually when turning left or right, but at any speed. Actually made me feel kinda unwell as it dipped into the 20s even in the opening tunnel area.

Specs I would think should be able to handle this game on high... 970 OC, 4771 etc.
What OS? And does it behave the same way without the overclock? A 3570k + GTX 770 has been running fine on Windows 7 64-bit for me.

I may have missed this, but when creating your own variables in the file located in the data folder, when I run the game, do I select "use defaults" or "high" as high is the present i've applied.

I've also set the game to run at 4k. How can I tell it's actually running at that downsampled resolution on my TV? I'm getting a smooth 60fps at apparently 4k on a 970. Seems good even for this game.

viveks86

I may have missed this, but when creating your own variables in the file located in the data folder, when I run the game, do I select "use defaults" or "high" as high is the present i've applied.

I've also set the game to run at 4k. How can I tell it's actually running at that downsampled resolution on my TV? I'm getting a smooth 60fps at apparently 4k on a 970. Seems good even for this game.

Use "high".

Your screengrabs would still be in 4K, if it is properly set to 4K.

It's related even though not directly related. But can anyone tell me if my laptop supports usb 3.0? The ports aren't labeled with anything so I can't visibly tell.

Screenshot_9.png

I see one of them states usb 3.0, but considering I only have 4 USB ports, there are lot of things listed there and I'm looking for clarification.

Top Bottom