• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness PC performance thread

Tain

Interesting, I get ~7ms CPU usage at most so I'm perfectly fine on that front.

I really need a new GPU.

I didn't check the overlay again, but after today's patch I'm getting far fewer (almost no) situations where I'm over the threshold. The game's plenty playable now on the settings you posted, which rules.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I'm still getting weird performance issues which might be running it 1440p?

Running on a 4790k 4.7ghz and 980ti at 1500 with ROG swift, g-sync is on.

Durante

I didn't check the overlay again, but after today's patch I'm getting far fewer (almost no) situations where I'm over the threshold. The game's plenty playable now on the settings you posted, which rules.
Neat, for me CPU usage is down below 5 ms for even the most demanding situations now. (I'd prefer GPU optimizations :p)

Talking about my VR settings, I found out that on my 970 at least it seems like the TMUs and texture caches aren't being stressed at all, so setting "skip_mipmaps 0" rather than "skip_mipmaps 2" has no noticeable performance impact (and obviously results in nicer textures up close).

I got some random SUPER slowdown at the flowers outside of the castle zone (next to the orange forest).

Got seriously 1 frame a second for a few seconds, but it seems like it's fine after that.

Wok

I got some random SUPER slowdown at the flowers outside of the castle zone (next to the orange forest).

Got seriously 1 frame a second for a few seconds, but it seems like it's fine after that.

I had the same problem there. There are a few zones which make the FPS drop heavily. I thought I was good with my settings because I did the tweaks in some forest places instead of the castle zone.

In the end, I think I am dropping "high" 1080p for "medium" forced to 900p. I am using the following to get 75 FPS in most places, and the occasional drop to 30 FPS in computationally demanding scenes:

Code:
:/display
vsync false

:/render/medium
msaa_sample_count 1
render_width 1600
render_height 900

To get a fluid game, I am going to force the FPS to 30 with RTSS, so that I don't notice when the framerate drops from 75 to 30 FPS.

NB: With "msaa_sample_count 2", the game runs at 60 FPS but can drop to 20, which is not good.

NIN90

So is the real slow right stick sensitivity normal? It's so slow that it almost seems like a bug. It's not unplayable slow mind you, but turning around takes forever.

Using an X1 controller on W10 for what it's worth.

Durante

I'm currently playing it in VR, and I'd say it is. There are some things which should still be tweaked (VR support is extremely early and inofficial right now) but the overall game is about as well-suited as something which is more than room-scale can currently be.

I posted some impressions here.

TheBear

I'm currently playing it in VR, and I'd say it is. There are some things which should still be tweaked (VR support is extremely early and inofficial right now) but the overall game is about as well-suited as something which is more than room-scale can currently be.

Ok that sounds cool as shit. Might wait til I get a HMD

madmook

They all have that blue line marker inside of them. So does that mean all my ports are usb 3.0?
Yes.

Also, just looked at my laptop (HP Spectre x360), which has all USB 3.0 ports, and noticed that they don't have the blue coloring. But they do have the "SS" label next to them, which means "super speed" aka USB 3.0. So that's another way to tell.

Xyber

I had the same problem there. There are a few zones which make the FPS drop heavily. I thought I was good with my settings because I did the tweaks in some forest places instead of the castle zone.

In the end, I think I am dropping "high" 1080p for "medium" forced to 900p. I am using the following to get 75 FPS in most places, and the occasional drop to 30 FPS in computationally demanding scenes:

Code:
vsync false

:/render/medium
msaa_sample_count 1
render_width 1600
render_height 900

To get a fluid game, I am going to force the FPS to 30 with RTSS, so that I don't notice when the framerate drops from 75 to 30 FPS.

NB: With "msaa_sample_count 2", the game runs at 60 FPS but can drop to 20, which is not good.

Going sub-native and locking to 30 seems a bit overkill if you are around 75fps otherwise.

But then again, you seem to be getting some really weird performance drops. I have not experienced anything like that.

Omikron

What OS? And does it behave the same way without the overclock? A 3570k + GTX 770 has been running fine on Windows 7 64-bit for me.

Win10, factory OC 970.

Just started the game on high with v-sync off and drops are gone. And the game runs anywhere from 130-200+ fps. There is clearly an issue in the game with v-sync as it stands.

yeah do it. i also had stutter with 970gtx (wasn't too annoying tbh but still)
switched to ps4. its silky smooth and looks just as good imo.

Wondering whether to just do this (go PS4) from the get go. Seems no advantage on having the PC version over the PS4

(FX 8350 and Gtx 960)

Wallach

It's not that slow when you run. What's this snap turning you're talking about? In any case, The Witness is already causing nausea on a screen for some, so I'm not so sure the slow pace and visual style is necessarily that helpful. I agree with your second point however. But I think finding a more VR-friendly way of getting between puzzle areas is important.

I dunno about how it feels on a monitor, but on the DK2 movement speed doesn't feel fast to me at all. Snap turning is basically when you're using a controller, when you press the right analog left or right it will just make instant jumps in that direction in set degrees. It's something that tends to help reduce motion sickness for most folks in VR.

For what it's worth getting around in-game with the DK2 didn't cause me any ill effects for the hour or so I played around with it. I've been too busy since then to go back and play more.

Wok

Going sub-native and locking to 30 seems a bit overkill if you are around 75fps otherwise.

But then again, you seem to be getting some really weird performance drops. I have not experienced anything like that.

Yes, you are right, it is overkill actually.

Plus, I should not use any other setting than high: I have just noticed some weird clipping going on with medium and low settings that cannot be changed with the parameters made available in the text file.

eyQnX7R.png
44O7NEY.jpg

By walking forward/backward, bushes of grass disappear or appear. I have compared high and low with the same settings and there is only clipping in low:

Code:
:/render/high
low_res_reflections true
sun_shadow_resolution 256
point_shadow_resolution 256
antialias_panel_rendering false
skip_mipmaps 2
msaa_sample_count 1
and
Code:
:/render/low
render_width 1920
render_height 1080
dynamic_resolution false

In high, the picture is:

Many more bushes and none appears or disappears!

I cannot play like this, so I am going back to tweaking "high" mode.

Vintage

So is the real slow right stick sensitivity normal? It's so slow that it almost seems like a bug. It's not unplayable slow mind you, but turning around takes forever.

Using an X1 controller on W10 for what it's worth.

I'd like to know this as well. I'm sure it's not a bug, just low sensitivity, but is there a way to increase it?

Blizzard

Banned
Is the game supposed to crash/exit when (very mild endgame spoiler):

The animation finishes? It gave me the ending achievement.

And as a side note, it took me 19.1 hours to finish according to Steam. Puzzle completion:
342 solved, +17
*edit* I plan to keep playing though.

wildfire

Banned
Playing this game on 2GB of RAM I think is creating some interesting bugs.

Every time I go to the desert I crash. Everywhere else I either crash and fix it by restarting near that point or I literally hit an invisible wall. Restart the game at that wall also allows me to pass through. I know this game wants to load everything at once for a seamless experience but it feels like there was no attempt at asset loading management. It's pretty amusing I potentially can't 100% complete until I upgrade my ram.

I've got an aging gaming PC.

i5 2500k
GTX560 Ti
4GB RAM

Do I have a good chance at running at this or am I best to wait after an upgrade?

Wok

I've got an aging gaming PC.

i5 2500k
GTX560 Ti
4GB RAM

Do I have a good chance at running at this or am I best to wait after an upgrade?

My config is similar, I think:
  • Intel Pentium G2020
  • 1 GB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7770
  • 4 GB DDR3 RAM

I am running the game in 1080p at 60 FPS with the following settings:
Code:
vsync false

render_width 1920
render_height 1080
dynamic_resolution false
fov_vertical 73

The framerate could be higher but I lock it using RTSS to avoid stuttering.

I have tried high and medium settings, and the game runs fine in most in-game places but not all of them. The only way to play with a confortable consistently high framerate is either to go for low settings in 1080p or to go for high/medium in 900p.

My config is similar, I think:
  • Intel Pentium G2020
  • 1 GB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7770
  • 4 GB DDR3 RAM

I am running the game in 1080p at 60 FPS with the following settings:
Code:
vsync false

render_width 1920
render_height 1080
dynamic_resolution false
fov_vertical 73

The framerate could be higher but I lock it using RTSS to avoid stuttering.

I have tried high and medium settings, and the game runs fine in most in-game places but not all of them. The only way to play with a confortable consistently high framerate is either to go for low settings in 1080p or to go for high/medium in 900p.

I haven't played it or watched any videos, but from what I know it seems like a game that wouldn't necessarily have gameplay hampered by some stuttering. Would you agree with that?

Wok

I haven't played it or watched any videos, but from what I know it seems like a game that wouldn't necessarily have gameplay hampered by some stuttering. Would you agree with that?

No, at least not for me, stuttering is annoying: when I arrive in a new place, if the framerate suddenly drops, then it prevents me from enjoying the view and exploring adequately. It breaks the flow of the game somehow, and I think this game benefits from a good immersion of the player.

The game is perfectly playable in low settings, even in 1080p, with no stuttering at all. It is even quite nice visually. It can be played in medium to high settings in a lot of place, but not some, at least to my liking.

Awesome sauce. I will wait until I get my CV1 before picking this up, but glad to know support is already in, even if it's not 100% where it needs to be yet.

Impulsor

:/render/high
low_res_reflections false
sun_shadow_resolution 2048
point_shadow_resolution 2048
antialias_panel_rendering true
skip_mipmaps 0
msaa_sample_count 8
aa_mode 2
panel_render_width 2048
render_width 3440
render_height 1440
dynamic_resolution false

These settings= GLORIOUS

Just hate the shadow draw distance that is pretty short.

EDIT: DO NOT use

sun_shadow_resolution 2048
point_shadow_resolution 2048
panel_render_width 2048

The shadows will bug out. Use 1024, fixed my issues with draw distance with shadows.

baconcow

I found a few more places where the framerate drops considerably and movement becomes a stuttering mess. Moving closer to where you are looking or changing directions always causes the framerate to go back up to 60. It only happens in two locations, so far, so it is not an issue. Still have flickering with SLI on AFR2. My log (with and without SLI on) shows a lot of "Lightmap asset failed to load". Monitor also turns off according to the power settings on Windows 10 (when using my PS4 controller). Have not received any help anywhere, yet.

Samaritan

Anyone else having troubles after updating their GeForce drivers to 361.75? I just installed the latest drivers and now my computer hard shuts off/restarts within 20 seconds of booting into the game. The only change that's happened between the last time I played (last night) and now is that my drivers have been updated.

Got a 980 Ti on Windows 10 64-bit.

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone has problems with a new patch, apparently you can roll back.

Jonathan Blow said:
Restart Steam, right-click on The Witness, go to Betas tab and select beta "older" (no password). That is yesterday's patch.

Flai

How well could I expect this to run on a i7-920 and GTX460 machine? The min specs seem pretty low, but could I run this at 2560x1600 with low settings? Does the game still look good even in the low settings?

Deepo

Did some testing on the micro stuttering I'm struggling with. Short version:

Windows 10: Micro stutter.
Windows 7: Smooth as butter.

Game setttings:

High preset
Fullscreen On
Vsync On

Dual boot, so same hardware:

Titan X 361.75
5820K @ 4.4Ghz
16GB 2666Mhz RAM
850 Evo

Afro

Yeah, I'll be waiting 'til we're at least a few more patches in before playing for real.

The smoothest I've gotten the game to run is after setting my G-Sync refresh to 100hz, using the in-game v-sync (lol), and capping the framerate at 100 using RTSS. Still feeling micro stutter though. So strange. Just swapped in a brand new Asus motherboard w/ a fresh OS install, too. SSD, not to mention.

edit: seemed to have fixed my G-Sync stutter

Blizzard

Banned

Game setttings:

High preset
Fullscreen On
Vsync On

Titan X 361.75
5820K @ 4.4Ghz
16GB 2666Mhz RAM
850 Evo
I think Blow mentioned on Twitter that most of their test machines were Windows 7, so I could believe it.

Wok

Hey JaseC, it might be of interest if true. I quote below:

Internal defaults (worth noting is that use_d3d9_ex is never referenced by the game)
Code:
use_d3d9_ex true
max_frame_latency 0
vsync true
vendor_agnostic false
be_ogl_420_core_compliant false
show_config_dialog true (set to false to skip startup launcher)

Hidden variables
Code:
disable_topmost
debug_device
enable_d3d11_1

Variables for each mode
MqCapUT.png

NOa2kj8.png

https://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458607699616103145/

Particularly interesting variables for my problem would be:

Code:
allow_non_essential_spot_lights

grass_detail

cluster_distance
lod_distance

detail_fade_begin
detail_fade_end

grass_fade_begin
grass_fade_end

panel_fade_begin
panel_fade_end

Edit:
"grass_detail 1" solves my problem of clipping.

ViviOggi

Game setttings:

High preset
Fullscreen On
Vsync On

Titan X 361.75
5820K @ 4.4Ghz
16GB 2666Mhz RAM
850 Evo
Uuugh I just switched to 10 recently, hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Blizzard

Banned
I got the normal DK2 working by uninstalling SteamVR first. However, I am seeing two bugs:

1. I have a black flicker in one eye occasionally.
2. I cannot complete any puzzles because neither the Steam controller nor the mouse seems to activate the "click and drag" mechanic.

Has anyone else run into these?

*edit* It seems any key input is being registered twice. If I go to the settings menu, I can only select the #1 and #3 options, for example. Maybe this is why the mouse isn't working?

Durante

I got the normal DK2 working by uninstalling SteamVR first. However, I am seeing two bugs:

1. I have a black flicker in one eye occasionally.
2. I cannot complete any puzzles because neither the Steam controller nor the mouse seems to activate the "click and drag" mechanic.

Has anyone else run into these?

*edit* It seems any key input is being registered twice. If I go to the settings menu, I can only select the #1 and #3 options, for example. Maybe this is why the mouse isn't working?
Yeah, for some reason only gamepad inputs work correctly in VR currently.
My best guess is that the game does an input read each eye.

I haven't had any black flickering though.

Hey JaseC, it might be of interest if true. I quote below:

Internal defaults (worth noting is that use_d3d9_ex is never referenced by the game)
Code:
use_d3d9_ex true
max_frame_latency 0
vsync true
vendor_agnostic false
be_ogl_420_core_compliant false
show_config_dialog true (set to false to skip startup launcher)

Hidden variables
Code:
disable_topmost
debug_device
enable_d3d11_1

Variables for each mode
MqCapUT.png

NOa2kj8.png

https://steamcommunity.com/app/210970/discussions/3/458607699616103145/

Particularly interesting variables for my problem would be:

Code:
allow_non_essential_spot_lights

grass_detail

cluster_distance
lod_distance

detail_fade_begin
detail_fade_end

grass_fade_begin
grass_fade_end

panel_fade_begin
panel_fade_end
Very interesting, thanks for posting that. Does coverage AA actually work?

Neat, for me CPU usage is down below 5 ms for even the most demanding situations now. (I'd prefer GPU optimizations :p)

Talking about my VR settings, I found out that on my 970 at least it seems like the TMUs and texture caches aren't being stressed at all, so setting "skip_mipmaps 0" rather than "skip_mipmaps 2" has no noticeable performance impact (and obviously results in nicer textures up close).

So are you getting 60fps with your Rift?

I'm getting 75 FPS without a single drop over 2 hours of play. That's what you need for a comfortable VR experience.

The game certainly isn't as pretty as it is on a screen at ultra settings though.

Ah ok, what GPU do you use? Do you think its worth delaying to buy till you own a VR headset?

Durante

Ah ok, what GPU do you use? Do you think its worth delaying to buy till you own a VR headset?
I use a 970 (slightly OC'd).

I was planning on delaying buying the game until it supported VR, before I learned that there already is some VR support. It's not a game built for VR obviously, but with a bit more polish and final consumer VR hardware it can be a great VR experience.

If you have enough other stuff to play (and can avoid all spoilers) it might not be a bad idea to wait.

I use a 970 (slightly OC'd).

I was planning on delaying buying the game until it supported VR, before I learned that there already is some VR support. It's not a game built for VR obviously, but with a bit more polish and final consumer VR hardware it can be a great VR experience.

If you have enough other stuff to play (and can avoid all spoilers) it might not be a bad idea to wait.

My backlog is huge! Lol, yeah I can definitely afford to wait! Sounds like it should be an even better experience by the time I get to it then.

Top Bottom