• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Review Thread

Coolwhip

Banned
There's no IGN hivemind: i wrote my review based on my experience, my taste and my point of view.
I do respect my colleagues, but this is my take on the game... which is nothing but a masterpiece as far as i'm concerned. ;)

I realise that, good to hear you liked it. I just found it a bit confusing.

Gold Member
I don't see what's wrong with those scores personally, they seem pretty solid to me. Think ill pick it up after my holiday I fancy something a bit different.

You don't have to draw them with the touchscreen. And controls are precise and accurate.

I've only been drawing with the analog sticks. It's irritating to have to try and draw a precise shape quickly while a million things are attacking you and you can so easily overshoot what the game considers accurate. On my third playthrough of the demo I found myself almost exclusively using the sword just because it was the most consistent thing I could draw due it's shape, or lack thereof.

You guys can scoff and call these reviewers idiots for not knowing how to play, but the fact is it's absurdly difficult to do the most basic things. If they want to throw a ton of stuff at you while expecting you to /draw/ your weapons and pay attention to everything else going on, it needed to be as fluid, simple and open as possible. It's not.

Frodo

Thing is the game has more weapons to draw later on and the final game will have a lot more varied combat scenarios. Saying a reviewer is wrong on long term gameplay/control issues and citing the demo you played as being proof that the reviewer is wrong reeks of defensiveness.

I won't say much, but if you can't draw a Z shape you can still use the other shapes in combat. To me it feels more like it is part of the Gameplay mechanics than a problem with the controls.

Darryl

Banned
not surprised at all after i was actually able to play the demo. the game looks very friendly at first but when you get your hands on the controls it is extremely complex. that confusion will inevitably lead to frustration for many people, just like it happens with most games with deviating control schemes. kids and game enthusiasts were always going to be this games audience and i'm sure they'll both enjoy it. i really doubt this is a game you could sell the lazy joe, though.

hamchan

All the reviews highlight to me is that modern day gamers have a big issue with frustration. If anything has a learning curve, its bad game design in their eyes. Igoring the scores a moment, I haven't read anything that is out of the norm in regards to the game. It was always going to be polarizing.

Dark Souls 89 metacritic?

JoeFenix

All the reviews highlight to me is that modern day gamers have a big issue with frustration. If anything has a learning curve, its bad game design in their eyes. Igoring the scores a moment, I haven't read anything that is out of the norm in regards to the game. It was always going to be polarizing.

Absolutely but I also think that Platinum needs to face the music and realize that the one thing they suck at is explaining their games to people.

I can't tell you the number of people I've seen play through Metal Gear Rising without using the Parry or Offensive Defense mechanics. It's baffling that for all their talent they can't seem to figure out how important it is to explain the central mechanics of their games to less hardcore players.

The scores are not surprising, I'm used to their games and it still took me a couple minutes to get my bearings in the 101 demo. I think the game is amazing but the demo just throws you into the action with a shitload of onscreen tips while you're trying to fight stuff. That works for someone like me but for most gamers it just doesn't, they really need to work on that. It's not that like their games are rocket science but most people don't retain information well when under pressure and most people also don't experiment on their own to figure out the mechanics.

I can't wait for the game though, sounds like its pure Kamiya. Loaded to the gills with unlocks and difficulties and crazy gameplay ideas left and right. Wish it came out next week for NA too :(

Mik_Pad

Banned
Woah did not come in here expecting 7s and 8s. Game looks great and ill be buying it either way. Hope some more positive impressions come in.
7 and 8 are positive reviews, the reviews seem in line with my experience while playing the demo, the gameplay is very original but drawing figures with the touchscreen lacks polish so I used the right stick which worked perfectly fine. I think I'll wait the price to drop a bit but I'm definitely buying after playing the demo.

mcmmaster

Thing is the game has more weapons to draw later on and the final game will have a lot more varied combat scenarios. Saying a reviewer is wrong on long term gameplay/control issues and citing the demo you played as being proof that the reviewer is wrong reeks of defensiveness.

There's only 2 more weapons in the full game, and from what i've seen the shapes don't exactly look that complexed so i'm willing to bet i'll be able to pull them off at ease. I'm certain it's just reviewers are way too used to modern gaming controls, and are not bothered on putting the time in to master some new refreshing controls.

mrmickfran

It looks like this game is going to beat Okami for lowest rated Kamiya game :(

Which is a damn shame because this game looks bloody amazing.

I'm still hyped no matter what. Come on September!

Critics should be celebrating depth, learning curves, richness and originality.

Watch them give nines to Assassins Creed IV in a few months time.

Sad.

I remember the first video of the intro stage a couple of weeks ago where the journalist wasn´t even able to draw a straight line? Which magazine was it? And what´s their final score?

Scum

not surprised at all after i was actually able to play the demo. the game looks very friendly at first but when you get your hands on the controls it is extremely complex. that confusion will inevitably lead to frustration for many people, just like it happens with most games with deviating control schemes. kids and game enthusiasts were always going to be this games audience and i'm sure they'll both enjoy it. i really doubt this is a game you could sell the lazy joe, though.

I don't see what's so complex about drawing a circle or a triangle on a screen...

Coolwhip

Banned
So what's up now, Wii U Exclusive Tax, Japan Tax or Colorful & Singular Tax?

Hard to say without fully playing the game. But I have a feeling TW101 is too hardcore for most reviewers these days. They aren't used to steep learning curves anymore and they expect tutorials. How was Dark Souls recieved by reviewers?

Game gets reviewed well. 7's 8's.

People want the game to be a 10.

Reviewers didn't understand the controls or spend enough time understanding the game.

Uhhhh yeah okay.

Hard to say without fully playing the game. But I have a feeling TW101 is too hardcore for most reviewers these days. They aren't used to steep learning curves anymore and they expect tutorials. How was Dark Souls recieved by reviewers?

Lmao

Regiruler

One thing in particular that made me wary of the IGN review in general is that she criticized the whip... when it is by far the easiest shape to pull off.

EDIT: My 10 year old brother was able to do the controls within minutes after I explained it to him. It isn't that hard people.

wrowa

I think it was clear since the release of the demo that W101 is one of those games you either "get" or you don't. I'm not saying this in a way to discredit negative reviews btw, it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

Wait a minute. This is releasing soon?!

Where's the marketing, Nintendo?!

It's still a month or so until the American release. It'll release in Europe the coming week, though.

Dark souls is pretty simple mechanically. Its just damn hard.

even then judging from podcasts it seems like a lot of game reviewers/journalists/whatever play the souls games very badly

if you ever hear the word "grinding" or "have to read stuff outside of the game" from game press you can safely ignore their opinions on the souls games

Reviews are disappointing and don't reflect the impressions I had while playing the demo. Just a bummer cause it will likely impact some sales.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Quite well I'd say.

dsx2r8l.jpg

Scores are at least a point lower than I expected across the board.

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but in the U.S. a 7 is "don't buy."

:'(

Sorian

Banned
A part of me always hoped that this game would do bad (yeah, hate me, it didn't seem like a good idea from the start to me) but I was not expecting the bad reviews to come out in force. Guess we will see what EU consumers have to say next week.

Muzy72

Banned
This is Kid Icarus Uprising all over again where you either love this game or hate it, because of finicky controls that aren't easily understood

Darryl

Banned
I don't see what's so complex about drawing a circle or a triangle on a screen...

the game makes you feel inadequate unless you're doing it gracefully though. that sounds like something that would be an issue with a lot of modern gamers, although who those gamers are i have no idea

Frodo

C'mon people why y'all still care about reviews? If you think the game looks cool than buy or at least rent it. Make up your own mind.

I was bought on this game even before the demo. A Kamiya game has yet to disappoint me. But the problem is that some people that are not certain if they should buy it will click on Metacritic, see the game with a 70s score and won't buy it because of that.

And I really would like to see more of this games, and that is why I want them to succeed.

Top Bottom