• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sometimes I feel like this game sends a subliminal message to people to buy a PS3 to get these game (or a PSP/Vita), coz like none of these game are available on 3DS (unless you count FFIII and FFIV NDS).

how do I know if someone is more suited for FMSs than others?
High agility and luck. The former means they will travel further with is part of getting more loot and luck is better loot too (at least I think that is how the first games was). I remember in the first game it was pretty easy to get Cloud to 0 agility (some of his skills lower it) and it was a contrast to a 255 agility character.

For some reason I only seem to perform well on Expert scores, but on Basic I keep messing up since it's the notes are usually off to me, and in Ultimate everything's too fast (specially on BMSs). So now I'm stuck on a lv. 71 chaos map that has The Decisive Battle on Ultimate. I'm playing with the stylus that came with the first Theatrhythm since I can't seem to hit the directional notes right with the slide pad, and I honestly don't see how anyone could keep up with the rhythm some songs like The Decisive Battle require you to with a stylus. Ugh.
I assume this is like the first game. If so you might have to turtle up and have healing items and characters with similar defensive abilities. You won't kill as many things as you would with an offensive party but you should last a bit longer.

The thing about ultimate is once you go back to the other difficulties it all feels so slow.

ohlawd

High agility and luck. The former means they will travel further with is part of getting more loot and luck is better loot too (at least I think that is how the first games was). I remember in the first game it was pretty easy to get Cloud to 0 agility (some of his skills lower it) and it was a contrast to a 255 agility character.

right after I asked that, the game told me what stats I should look for when doing BMS and FMS.

I wanna look at the tutorial again for that but I can't find it in its section.

Robin64

I expect the EU price will be €0.99/£0.79 for DLC. I hope so, anyway.

Will be getting everything for week one anyway, heh.

BwTIgRu.png

Edit: So last time it was €1/£0.90. Hmm. Well it'll be that, then.

Heropon

I thought I wouldn't buy so much DLC this time but it's really difficult with that selection. As At least I'm not familiar with the XI song so I'm not tempted to buy it.

Reknoc

I expect the EU price will be €0.99/£0.79 for DLC. I hope so, anyway.

Will be getting everything for week one anyway, heh.

Edit: So last time it was €1/£0.90. Hmm. Well it'll be that, then.

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh shuffle or boogie and crazy chocobo is in the first pack? thank you lord

Oh my gosh, Library of Ancients! I love that song.

Even though the game doesn't officially launch til friday here, I managed to find a Dutch gameshop (I'm Dutch) that already had the game in stock. Ordered it yesterday and should receive it today, at a great price as well (35 euro, included shipping).

Was gonna go for the LE, but it was a tenner more expensive. I figured that a bit much for a CD with only five songs that I'll never listen to. Wasn`t a fan of the packaging either.

Chipworm

Still no movement on my CE from Square Enix (EU).

I'm really looking forward to this. I didn't really get any of the DLC for the last game so I'm ready to tackle all the new levels. If it ever gets shipped...

Tiu Neo

This game is... addicting. Started playing yesterday, and when I was it was already midnight.

Got Yuffie yesterday. Couldn't resist, she's probably my favorite character on the series.

Also tempted to get Crazy Chocobo, it's one of those songs that are so bad that it is good. The amount of unplayed songs saved me from buying it, at least for now.

SoulUnison

Banned
EMS Advent: One Winged Angel ends before the best part of the song.

Dat high energy guitar riff section. You know the one.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So which DLC songs are free for a limited time? And for how long? Hope that I don't miss out on them.

Robin64

No fancy image yet, but this is the DLC release for September 25th.

Songs

"Protect the Espers!" (FINAL FANTASY VI)
"Battle 1 - arrangement - from FINAL FANTASY IX" (DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY)
"Promised Grace" (FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES)
"Aerith's Theme (Piano Version)" (FINAL FANTASY VII: ADVENT CHILDREN)
"Battle Theme A" (FINAL FANTASY II)
"Good King Moggle Mog XII" (FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn)
"Thunder Plains" (FINAL FANTASY X)
"Canto Mortis -An Undocumented Battle-" (DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY)

Character

Rosa (FINAL FANTASY IV)
YFo3nlF.png

Edit: These are actually the songs from both DLC packs 2 and 3 in Japan, but only the character from pack 2. (Pack 3 had AC Cloud)

mrmickfran

Oh man, they made the boss theme from FFIV easier. That was one of the best charts in the last game cause it was so brutal :(

On the other hand, Dancing Mad and Fight With Seymour was made waaay tougher.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, tempted by Thunder Plains after hearing it on the pre-order CD.....but considering I've got so many songs untouched, I'll just wait until later.

bobohoro

Songs

Well, time to get some E-Shop credit then.

Do demo scores cary over? Since I'll get the game next monday at the earliest (damn you big fat usk-logos, hello cheap imports) I played them nearly every day in anticipation and would like to transfer some chain progress.

mrmickfran

Well, time to get some E-Shop credit then.

Do demo scores cary over? Since I'll get the game next monday at the earliest (damn you big fat usk-logos, hello cheap imports) I played them nearly every day in anticipation and would like to transfer some chain progress.

No, the scores don't transfer.

Wichu

Oh man, they made the boss theme from FFIV easier. That was one of the best charts in the last game cause it was so brutal :(

On the other hand, Dancing Mad and Fight With Seymour was made waaay tougher.
Is Battle 2 (FFIX) still ridiculous? I think that's the only song I didn't manage to Perfect Chain in the first game...

Stuart444

Roses of May from FFIX? That is a very tempting buy. As is Crazy Chocobo.

edit: also Kuon is the X-2 title theme. Always liked that <3

mrmickfran

Is Battle 2 (FFIX) still ridiculous? I think that's the only song I didn't manage to Perfect Chain in the first game...

I never played that song in the first game. But I just tried it in Curtain Call and holy shit, I'm never perfect chaining that.

Mknzy

Just picked my copy up last night, haven't gotten super far in yet, but I'm defidently enjoying it a lot so far. One question though. When you are doing the FMS stages, and you have the portions where you have to slide the stylus up and down, it feels....slower than it did in the original. I keep moving the stylus the way I kinda run it through muscle memory from the first one, and I never am fast enough. Did they change the way it works a bit?

bumpkin

Picked up my copy last night and played it for hours (until I had to go to bed). So good! I really forgot how charming and fun Theatrhythm is; haven't played the original in quite some time. I really dig the new Quest Mode and love the huge amount of music tracks they packed into the off-the-shelf game. I'll probably buy a bunch of the DLC like I did with the original. Haven't had a chance to give Versus a whirl, but I'm hoping it's fun.

Think I'm going to pick up a copy of this even though I'm not planning on playing it for quite some time (hardly played any of the mainline FF's to actually appreciate the music).

The first one got stupid expensive for PAL regions so I don't want the same to happen here when I actually want to play it >_>

aceface

Going out to buy this today. Does any store have it marked down to $35 or $30 for release week?

Edit: oh god that DLC, it's like they are giving me no choice ;_;

Good King Moggle Mog!

My god this game is packed with content! Once I saw all the games in the series unlock I was kinda shocked how many songs there were to see. And the Quest Medley seems like it's going to be a lot more enjoyable than Chaos Shrine.

Changing the sound of a successful hit to "Cecil's Slash" was another neat detail that actually sounded kinda cool with the music. Can't wait to find more.

Ala Alba

So, those FMS hold/slide/arrow combos.

I haven't had a lot of time to practice them, but it seems you need to let off the circle pad some amount of time before the end arrow while holding a button, ignoring the fact that the circle is no longer following the path, then hit the right direction when the circle is in the right place (horizontally).

That just seems incredibly broken. But maybe I'm wrong (I have yet to get a critical on any of them)?

So, those FMS hold/slide/arrow combos.

I haven't had a lot of time to practice them, but it seems you need to let off the circle pad some amount of time before the end arrow while holding a button, ignoring the fact that the circle is no longer following the path, then hit the right direction when the circle is in the right place (horizontally).

That just seems incredibly broken. But maybe I'm wrong (I have yet to get a critical on any of them)?

You've got the right idea. I've definitely gotten criticals on a few of them using this method. It's tricky because I never know when exactly it's okay to let off the circle pad before putting in the last input, especially on the ones that cover a lot of vertical space at the end.

Sucks because those notes are the one downside to button controls. Anyone know a better way?

Loving the game so far.

kierwynn

No fancy image yet, but this is the DLC release for September 25th.

Songs

"Protect the Espers!" (FINAL FANTASY VI)
"Battle 1 - arrangement - from FINAL FANTASY IX" (DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY)
"Promised Grace" (FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES)
"Battle Theme A" (FINAL FANTASY II)
"Good King Moggle Mog XII" (FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn)
"Thunder Plains" (FINAL FANTASY X)
"Canto Mortis -An Undocumented Battle-" (DISSIDIA 012[duodecim] FINAL FANTASY)

Character

Rosa (FINAL FANTASY IV)
YFo3nlF.png

Edit: These are actually the songs from both DLC packs 2 and 3 in Japan, but only the character from pack 2. (Pack 3 had AC Cloud)

Good King Moggle Mog will be mine.

Loving the game so far! Played it pretty much nonstop last night- only stopped because my boyfriend stole it from me so he could try it out (and I had to get to bed but I would have been okay not sleeping!) Really happy I unlocked Prishe relatively quickly. I never managed to get her in the first game cause of bad shard luck. Really wanting to unlock Celes, Edgar, and Hope. Haven't tried online play yet- hopefully tonight I'll get to battle against a friend online at least (I'm looking at you, Mira).

suzu

Quest Medley is throwing more ultimate songs at me now, so maybe I should make my party more defensive since I'm terrible at ult BMS..

Tried online Versus and got a JPN player who utterly destroyed me (he did all crits and hit me with judgment EX twice in a row). It was fun though! lol

bumpkin

Hmm, so will the DLC packs be sold as bundles at a discounted price or will a 5 track pack cost the same as downloading the 5 tracks separately (give or take a few cents)?

Robin64

Hmm, so will the DLC packs be sold as bundles at a discounted price or will a 5 track pack cost the same as downloading the 5 tracks separately (give or take a few cents)?

They aren't really presented as packs on the store, sadly, just individual songs.

Top Bottom