• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Damn, Battle 2 (FFV) DLC track was really fun to play on Ultimate.

Good King Moggle Mog will be mine.

Loving the game so far! Played it pretty much nonstop last night- only stopped because my boyfriend stole it from me so he could try it out (and I had to get to bed but I would have been okay not sleeping!) Really happy I unlocked Prishe relatively quickly. I never managed to get her in the first game cause of bad shard luck. Really wanting to unlock Celes, Edgar, and Hope. Haven't tried online play yet- hopefully tonight I'll get to battle against a friend online at least (I'm looking at you, Mira).

I'm ready!!

kierwynn

Had a client cancel so I've just been sitting here playing the game while waiting on my next appointment. I'm so happy they included some Mystic Quest songs- Battle 2 is so good. I'm just sad the final boss music wasn't included. That one is sooooo goooood

I've finally started clearing some ultimates, too. I was never very good with the touch controls so I had a lot of trouble on the first one. I'm not great at it, but I can tell I'm getting better. The button controls are much easier to pick up for me. I've only cleared Dancing Mad and both FFXIV primal themes so far, but it's a big step up from nothing.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Dunno how you guys are using button controls. The circle pad is way too stiff and slow to use in Ultimate BMS.

Pretty cool that they give recognition to the one-handed style haha.

Tried online. Got whooped by this dude called Ochi. That ass picked FFVIII - Force Your Way. It's so hard on Ultimate. :(

Seems hard to get opponents right now. International, Ultimate w/ or w/o EXB, Lv30

Vlade

I got my collectors edition, checked ebay to see what it's really going to cost me to open this thing... about $100.... worth it. opened, listening, playing, and so nerd happy with my mushroom hat on :)

ff14 characters!! how did i miss that tidbit?

LuuKyK

Love the Crystal Chronicles songs. Nostalgic as hell.

Also, i forgot how good of a song Answers (XIV) is. Best EMS so far.

I switched from the stylus controls to buttons as I was playing last night, and I think it's quite a bit easier, except maybe for the case of slides at the end of holds in FMS. I should try Big Bridge again this way.

The track I remember being ridiculous in the original was FF4's "Battle with the Four Fiends". Is it still the same here?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I switched from the stylus controls to buttons as I was playing last night, and I think it's quite a bit easier, except maybe for the case of slides at the end of holds in FMS. I should try Big Bridge again this way.

The track I remember being ridiculous in the original was FF4's "Battle with the Four Fiends". Is it still the same here?

Ugh I hate those so much

Swamped

Banned
I feel like Expert difficulty is too easy but Ultimate is too hard for me. I can never clear this mode, on any of the songs I've tried! I know that practice is key, so I'm going to keep at it. BUT does anyone have any suggestions for 'easier' Ultimate songs? Thanks!

Btw if anyone wants to play vs mode against me (on Expert difficulty lol) do add me! My friend code should be on my profile.

10 online games. Have yet to win once. :lol I keep getting matching against 1500s for whatever reason.

If you have a history of epilepsy, DON'T play with EX Burst.

Why the heck is Savior of Souls an EMS? I haaaate those.

Dunno how you guys are using button controls. The circle pad is way too stiff and slow to use in Ultimate BMS.

Seriously. I was pretty excited to try button controls, but the circle pad just doesn't feel right.

Jasconius

I feel like Expert difficulty is too easy but Ultimate is too hard for me. I can never clear this mode, on any of the songs I've tried! I know that practice is key, so I'm going to keep at it. BUT does anyone have any suggestions for 'easier' Ultimate songs? Thanks!

Btw if anyone wants to play vs mode against me (on Expert difficulty lol) do add me! My friend code should be on my profile.

Maybe try Blinded By Light from FFXIII? I played it last night during a quest and it was surprisingly doable. I haven't played too many of the Ultimate scores on the battle songs yet - my goal for today is to go through a bunch of them for practice. Stuck on the last boss on my 36-day inherited quest and of course it's One Winged Angel which I just can't quite seem to get through....

Love the Crystal Chronicles songs. Nostalgic as hell.

Also, i forgot how good of a song Answers (XIV) is. Best EMS so far.

Answers is the best Vocal in FF history, just a shame that the version in the game is so damned cut down. I know the song is 7 minutes, but still.

Pretty happy with the game so far, though honestly, I am a little annoyed that FFXIV 1.0 got completely jilted. No Twilight over Thanalan, no On Windy Meadows, no Twin Faces of Fate, such a great OST, but it is really under-represented here. At least my two favorite boss songs are in the game.

Also, why only Y'shtola? Hope more characters come from the DLC, but I doubt it.

Oh, BTW, if I download the demo NOW? do I still get character unlocks from it?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, you'll still get the option to start with 10 additional characters. However, anyone you DON'T chose will have to be unlocked later on.

Mknzy

I'm still struggling on the FMS stages when you have to slide the target up and down. I don't know why, I never had a problem with it in the first game, and now all the sudden I'm really struggling with it. I'm falling behind, or just never quite quick enough. It's starting to get a little frustrating.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just tried the One-Handed control scheme....it just feels rather awkward to use the L button for button presses/taps. Maybe it's because I'm right handed, but I can't see myself using this mode again, especially on harder difficulties.

Anyone else got this game without much FF experience? I honestly love it as a rhythm game, but it does feel weird to be unaffected by all the fan service in it.

Son Of D

Does this mean all the tracks from the first game are in this one as well?

EDIT: Seems that yes is the answer. Sorry guys, should have just searched for two seconds before posting.

No worries. There is one DLC song that's not in Curtain Call, that being Somnus from FFXV (or Versus as it was then known). That's the only real incentive to get the first game but even then, not worth it.

All the music is definitely not as loud as the first game.

Kind of disappointed I'm feeling forced to wear headphones to enjoy it the same.

So I haven't had this question answered yet.

Are the songs actual song length or cut off like the first game? I might keep it if they are the full length. I haven't opened my copy yet.

Ala Alba

Are the songs actual song length or cut off like the first game? I might keep it if they are the full length. I haven't opened my copy yet.

At least some of them have been shortened. For example, Answers (FFXIV) cuts off the beginning and the end of the song (7 minutes was probably deemed to be too long).

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

They seem to generally be full length, though some of the songs with a really plodding and ambling run-up prelude to the actual song seem like they fade in or start a little further in. I could be mistaken, but I kinda maybe remember that from the 2 hours I played last night?

Brakke

Banned
Really adore this game. Just opened up the quest thing last night, played through the first one this morning. It's such a simple, thin wrapper but it's still somehow totally compelling.

The one thing I don't really understand in this game is that some characters are clearly FMS optimized, some BMS optimized but like... how much does it ever matter? I'm mostly playing Expert and getting S or SS with the occasional perfect chain. Maybe my picked-for-their-looks party would fail me in the Ultimate(?) Score?

This is the wooooooooorst. If the slope on the curve isn't too steep, you can let go your up/down a beat or two before the arrow, but yeah damn those are messy.

Swamped

Banned
Maybe try Blinded By Light from FFXIII? I played it last night during a quest and it was surprisingly doable. I haven't played too many of the Ultimate scores on the battle songs yet - my goal for today is to go through a bunch of them for practice. Stuck on the last boss on my 36-day inherited quest and of course it's One Winged Angel which I just can't quite seem to get through....

Alright, thanks for the suggestion! Forgot to mention that I can complete Ultimate for FMS songs, but that's no use for versus mode lol.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
The one thing I don't really understand in this game is that some characters are clearly FMS optimized, some BMS optimized but like... how much does it ever matter? I'm mostly playing Expert and getting S or SS with the occasional perfect chain. Maybe my picked-for-their-looks party would fail me in the Ultimate(?) Score?

Therein lies the dirty little secret of this game... as long as you personally as a human hit every note perfectly or close to perfectly, you'll never fail and the abilities and items and skills won't matter for jack.

The skills matter when you start failing, or when you're trying to rush bosses to get items and cards, in which case strength/power allow you to kill more dudes during the course of a song and get more items.

ALSO at least this time around, your skills can help in versus battles to help you weather the storm of EX stuff to a certain degree. This counts for offline also, which is nice.

But in a normal, single player, score-attack environment, there really isn't much point.

Thanks for the answers guys. I think I'll probably keep it then. I enjoy the gameplay of it enough to enjoy it again. I was just worried it would be super shallow because of them cutting songs so much in the first game.

That "choose your characters" song from FFTactics in Quest Medley sounds so good.

I see myself listening to that for awhile before playing.

Awesome score that really pumps you up!

Petrie

Banned
That "choose your characters" song from FFTactics in Quest Medley sounds so good.

I see myself listening to that for awhile before playing.

Awesome score that really pumps you up!

Every song in FFT is amazing. It's a shame more of them didn't make the game.

Best FF soundtrack and it isn't even close.

So I only found out you can use the buttons and the circle pad while going through the tutorial and I have to say, I like it MUCH better. Button pressing for hits is so much more wonderful than tapping is.

Pangya

Therein lies the dirty little secret of this game... as long as you personally as a human hit every note perfectly or close to perfectly, you'll never fail and the abilities and items and skills won't matter for jack.

The skills matter when you start failing, or when you're trying to rush bosses to get items and cards, in which case strength/power allow you to kill more dudes during the course of a song and get more items.

ALSO at least this time around, your skills can help in versus battles to help you weather the storm of EX stuff to a certain degree. This counts for offline also, which is nice.

But in a normal, single player, score-attack environment, there really isn't much point.

Skills are absolutely necessary to clear high level chaos maps. I have a map where I cannot beat the final boss with 4 level 99 BMS oriented characters all using their limit breaks, and this is with SS perfect chain score on Ultimate. It looks like I'll have to reset them to level 1 for the CP gain along with beefing up their stats with cards. I'm still in the processing of getting every character to 99 to see final stats and abilities as I have not decided yet who I want have as my BMS team.

lionpants

Does anyone know what the letter beside the level number means in the Quest Medleys (Chaos Maps)?

IE: Lvl 35 P Hills and valleys, blah blah

Top Bottom