• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy |OT| Yes, "One-Winged Angel" is in! Quit asking!

scy

Quesiton for the chaos shrine Battle songs:

Do you guys prefer magic users over physical attackers? I have Terra and Vivi Lv.99 and I'm not sure how to best set them up? Anyone have any suggestions?

I've used Trance and Dualcast with as many magic spells as I could... and I'm just not sure that this is as effective as just using Squall and Cloud with max STR and Focus abilities.

The party I've been using:

Terra as Leader - Trance, Fira, Thundara, Agility Up (for FMS).
Cloud - Omnislash, Strength Up 3, Strength Up 2
Squall - Lionheart, Strength Up 2, Focus 3
Lightning - Omega Weapon, Fire, Thunder, I think Bluff?

The last slot could rotate around. Sephiroth functions well there with his high STR and MAG stat (and since he'll have a really good assortment of skills with Thundaga, Blizzara, Focus 1, STR Up 1). I find casters to do better with cleaning up random trash enemies and just use the two Limit Breakers to insta-kill (or nearly insta-kill) bosses when they show up.

Likewise, any high damage Limit Breaker could probably replace Cloud or Squall.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man do I prefer the iOS version. Not sure if I want to invest in it financially though since I already have the 3DS version.

It does look really nice in higher res... but yeah F that pricing. The 3DS version gives you so so much more content for your money.

It does look really nice in higher res... but yeah F that pricing. The 3DS version gives you so so much more content for your money.

Besides the value of all the base game content on iOS being pretty close to what the 3DS game retailed for, if I tally up all the content on the base 3DS game I actually use vs all the content I actually care to play and meter out the base game's cost to match, the iOS version comes out far ahead for me. The iOS version might have issues but cost isn't really one of them.

Yoshiya

Playing this on my iPad mini, very enjoyable diversion with the $3 FFVI pack. I doubt I'll spend much more on it, but this is great for the price of a coffee.

Enzon

I have a question, i was never a FF fan, i've played IV, III, XIII and XII for a few hours each, but i am a sucker for rythym games, i loved Elite Beat Agents on the DS.

Does this game offers a lot of content for me if i just like rythym games but i'm not a fan of FF? I just played the demo and i liked it, is a good indicator of the game?

btw i like japanese music so i don't think it should be a problem

Roto13

I have a question, i was never a FF fan, i've played IV, III, XIII and XII for a few hours each, but i am a sucker for rythym games, i loved Elite Beat Agents on the DS.

Does this game offers a lot of content for me if i just like rythym games but i'm not a fan of FF? I just played the demo and i liked it, is a good indicator of the game?

btw i like japanese music so i don't think it should be a problem

If you liked the demo, go for it. It's basically more of that.

I wouldn't say you need to be a fan of Final Fantasy to enjoy this game, but it helps.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Playing this on my iphone (4) and it's frustrating how it dips in framerate occasionally :( Is it my phone?

Playing this on my iphone (4) and it's frustrating how it dips in framerate occasionally :( Is it my phone?

It says right in the App Store description the game doesn't run well on iPhone 4, even with several display features turned off to compensate. There's a lot more going on in the game's visuals than people ever seem to realize - it's not a 3DS game for nothing.

Here's a video from the game running on an iPad 3rd gen if you want to compare: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cANpvURvEQM

(I'm actually interested in the FOV difference, if any, between the iPad and iPhone/3DS displays... should look into that.)

Enzon

If you liked the demo, go for it. It's basically more of that.

I wouldn't say you need to be a fan of Final Fantasy to enjoy this game, but it helps.

Oh i see, thank you, i may pick this one up. Do you know how many songs does it have? i don't want it to be short lol

Roto13

Oh i see, thank you, i may pick this one up. Do you know how many songs does it have? i don't want it to be short lol

Not counting the crappy intro/outro bits you'll never play more than once, there are about 50 songs. Plus 52 more as DLC.

Reading some of the posts in here I'm finding out about game mechanics and tips I didn't even knew existed in this game! I'm discovering more and more replay value every second with Theatrhythm I love it!

Yuripaw

Banned
I say just keep downloading songs for the iPad version

I dunno, it's hard to say. I just downloaded the iPad version recently myself, and it's great, but the pricing is what concerns me. I played a good chunk of this game on 3DS when I borrowed it from a friend, and I liked it. Really like the iPad version so far too, but over a dozen track packs at $3 a piece, and I think over 50 songs at $1 a piece...if you want to get the complete package at some point, this version would cost almost $100 I think...>_<

I dunno, it's hard to say. I just downloaded the iPad version recently myself, and it's great, but the pricing is what concerns me. I played a good chunk of this game on 3DS when I borrowed it from a friend, and I liked it. Really like the iPad version so far too, but over a dozen track packs at $3 a piece, and I think over 50 songs at $1 a piece...if you want to get the complete package at some point, this version would cost almost $100 I think...>_<

Pretty much the same cost of ownership as the 3DS version, which also has DLC at $1/song.

CorvoSol

So uh, I haven't seen a Black Shard or an Orange Shard and I'm at 35 hours. What am I doing wrong? All the Orange Shards I have were given me.

Celegus

So uh, I haven't seen a Black Shard or an Orange Shard and I'm at 35 hours. What am I doing wrong? All the Orange Shards I have were given me.

Make sure you're doing the right stage difficulty levels (the first number listed on the chaos shrine songs). Black is like 75-99 if I remember, and I believe Orange is much lower, like 1-25 or 1-50 so you might be doing levels that are too high. There's a good guide on gamefaqs that explains it all, though I can't check it here at work. Black shards are stupidly hard to find, I only have 3 but I've done songs that do have black shard at least 20 times.

CorvoSol

Make sure you're doing the right stage difficulty levels (the first number listed on the chaos shrine songs). Black is like 75-99 if I remember, and I believe Orange is much lower, like 1-25 or 1-50 so you might be doing levels that are too high. There's a good guide on gamefaqs that explains it all, though I can't check it here at work. Black shards are stupidly hard to find, I only have 3 but I've done songs that do have black shard at least 20 times.

I got 2 black shards last night, so I'll be grinding that song for awhile. I know where to get Gray Shards, too, so there's that. All I need is to find these dang orange shards and I can unlock every character in the game. Kinda ironic that Vivi will be the last character I unlock.

Celegus

I got 2 black shards last night, so I'll be grinding that song for awhile. I know where to get Gray Shards, too, so there's that. All I need is to find these dang orange shards and I can unlock every character in the game. Kinda ironic that Vivi will be the last character I unlock.

That is pretty odd, I remember him being one of my first. I thought he was a low level one. Such is the life of the RNG.

Famassu

Yo, are any of the downloadable songs really amazing?
There's a Field song from FFVII that is much harder than any of the Field songs in the vanilla game, that's really fun... I forget its name (me and my shitty name memory). But really, I'd say pretty much all songs from post-NES FFs are worth getting except maybe a couple and some of the NES era stuff are surprisingly nice (but I wouldn't recommend all of them, at least I don't think some of the NES era FF music is worth a shit).

CorvoSol

YUSH. Unlocked Sephiroth! Got my last two black shards today! I still need like, 3 gray shards for Seifer and to find the Orange Shard font so I can unlock Vivi already.

Wortany

I'm trying to find this game, but it seems to be sold out everywhere.
I'm currently residing in Madrid, Spain for the coming 3 months, and thought I could perhaps buy it in one of the shops here. But none of them have them in stock.

Is the 3DS version just going to get phased out with no reprints and stock selling out in only the few months of life it had?

Also, what is up with the Game shops (not necessarily only Game), they all seem so small.

Danneee

I'm trying to find this game, but it seems to be sold out everywhere.
I'm currently residing in Madrid, Spain for the coming 3 months, and thought I could perhaps buy it in one of the shops here. But none of them have them in stock.

Is the 3DS version just going to get phased out with no reprints and stock selling out in only the few months of life it had?

Also, what is up with the Game shops (not necessarily only Game), they all seem so small.

Same in Sweden and it's out of stock at amazon too. Anyone know what's up? GOTY edition incoming (might start happening now that we get dlc on portable games)?

Edit: gave up on trying to find it cheap and just bought the only copy I could find new. €40 but now I have all the 3ds games I'm really interested in.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
YUSH. Unlocked Sephiroth! Got my last two black shards today! I still need like, 3 gray shards for Seifer and to find the Orange Shard font so I can unlock Vivi already.

Blah unlocking characters is balls. Such a pain in the ass. I keep on getting the same boss/drops in Chaos Shrine on Lv.99. I think I have three more characters to unlock.

Bururian

Blah unlocking characters is balls. Such a pain in the ass. I keep on getting the same boss/drops in Chaos Shrine on Lv.99. I think I have three more characters to unlock.

I have a Dark Note that has a magic pot enemy and Boss no. 3 being a Magic pot. I've linked it to my proficard for everyone to enjoy, as if you can make it through one round, you get to enjoy 20k+ of experience.

Celegus

I have a Dark Note that has a magic pot enemy and Boss no. 3 being a Magic pot. I've linked it to my proficard for everyone to enjoy, as if you can make it through one round, you get to enjoy 20k+ of experience.

Huh, I just got a dark note at Tekkoshocon with a magic pot as the third boss and one of the items being those ever-elusive black shards. I played it a bunch of times because it was easy enough I could kill the boss twice and possibly get two shards. I finally have all the characters now!

Don't suppose you were just at Tekko (anime con in Pittsburgh) by any chance?

Bururian

Huh, I just got a dark note at Tekkoshocon with a magic pot as the third boss and one of the items being those ever-elusive black shards. I played it a bunch of times because it was easy enough I could kill the boss twice and possibly get two shards. I finally have all the characters now!

Don't suppose you were just at Tekko (anime con in Pittsburgh) by any chance?

That was surely not me. I am nowhere near Pittsburg, and my Magic Pot boss 3 has Navy and gold shards.

It was No.65 and MV 25 "Paradise Contract"

Esiquio

Just bought this game after playing the demo like 50 times - what a great game. I bought a few DLC songs, but I was hoping there would be more. I know the game came out for iOS recently, but has anyone heard of any plans to release more songs? I'd buy some more FFVI, VII, IX and X music in a heartbeat.

addyb

Ok I hold my hand up and admit I'd totally forgot about this game. It was only after picking up rhythm thief I decided to have a look at other rhythm games on the system and ended up snagging a copy off eBay for £20 :)

I've got DJ max and project diva f on my vita as well as I do like my rhythm games. How do these compare to theatrhythm?

Bururian

As far as DJ MAX, this is a different experience. I've played both, and while I liked DJ MAX, I've enjoyed Theatrhythm more, just because it has more of an actual game element to it.

You have a party, you level them, give them magic, etc. There's definitely a lot more to do in terms of content. That doesn't mean DJMAX doesn't have its merits. I just like this game more.

As far as DJ MAX, this is a different experience. I've played both, and while I liked DJ MAX, I've enjoyed Theatrhythm more, just because it has more of an actual game element to it.

You have a party, you level them, give them magic, etc. There's definitely a lot more to do in terms of content. That doesn't mean DJMAX doesn't have its merits. I just like this game more.

All those "game" elements are exactly why I don't play Theatrhythm more. It's nothing but a distraction from the core gameplay, and its ancillary nature is even emphasized by there being a 2 million point score penalty for having -any- equipment on your characters - as if even the developers thought all that stuff was dumb and pointless and wanted to discourage it.

Bururian

All those "game" elements are exactly why I don't play Theatrhythm more. It's nothing but a distraction from the core gameplay, and its ancillary nature is even emphasized by there being a 2 million point score penalty for having -any- equipment on your characters - as if even the developers thought all that stuff was dumb and pointless and wanted to discourage it.

Stoic mode is more for Rhythm game purists, which is why they force that. It doesn't bother me at all, honestly because still, to SSS a song, you have to 100% critical with no equipment, and that's really added lot of replay value from me.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Equipment is for grinding out items/shards in Dark Notes, take it off for scoring runs.

I think Hell has officially frozen over. Just beat Contest of Aeons on Ultimate for the first time ever. And I even managed to get a S rank. That's one monkey I can finally get off my back

Yep, Hell is feeling quite cool as of yesterday. Beat The Castle on Ultimate for the first time with a S rank and got a Perfect Chain on the third completion

Top Bottom