• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheSameCoin Rumor: DriveClub delayed till 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arklite

Still....Evolution I want dynamic weather at launch as a reward for the delay.

We're not going to get weather when the base game isn't even sorted out. Pretty bummed about the news, I know this game didn't have much hype behind it but the prospect of having anything near PGR style handling had me sold.

Fair point team building and moral he seems great at. But managing the teams seems suspect. And it's not just the Drive Club news it's the vita situation it's the allocation or resources etc.

P.S. thanks for a decent reply instead of personal attack or a silly gif..

Gotta love the "etc" bit. What vita situation? Vita is the platform that's fucked, not the PS4.
Every sony studio is working on the PS4 or finishing their PS3 titles, while several of them don't even want to touch the Vita. There's 3rd party support for the PS3 and PS4, there isn't for the Vita.
Your argument is just silly. Sony's strength is in the home console space, not handhelds. They tried with the PSP, had a decent run with it. They tried it again with the Vita, they failed.

People post silly gifs because your argument is silly. You really think Shu, president of WWS, is the person responsible for the "vita situation"? Sony could be releasing/publishing games on a monthly basis and that thing would still be failing. Sony hasn't followed the "drop support off a cliff" model in quite some time, they're not changing now. They've having some of the best years on ps3 and reaping profit from it.

I mean, seriously, blame the guy for The Last Guardian or whatever broken promise they made with the ps3, but for Driveclub? That's just ridiculous.

Elios83

I refuse to believe this news warrants 40 pages. I understand we are fresh off the heels of another delay, and this would be a blow to Sony's first party lineup. But REALLY?

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/killz...rders_outpacing_forza_5_and_ryse_analyst.html

I know that's a little over 2 months old but the game was tracking the least of the bunch! The Watch_Dog delay thread barely hit 15 pages and the game was tracking pretty damn good. (i know multiplatform blah blah)

Crying for free stuff, blaming yosp, pretending this will hurt launch sales, Sony first party sucks etc. This thread is ridiculous. lol

Ratio between jumping on the bad news and actual disappointmnent is probably 80:20 in this thread :p

We're not going to get weather when the base game isn't even sorted out. Pretty bummed about the news, I know this game didn't have much hype behind it but the prospect of having anything near PGR style handling had me sold.

Not sorted out is a big word, development for the game is going well, they have done multiple playable demos, it's just that they couldn't meet a really tight deadline. Dynamic weather was already being planned, I can see it being ready at launch if the game now get other 3 months of development.

Sendou

Launch exclusives may be the 4th or 5th reason to pick up a console at launch. People dont remember launch games and the exclusives people really care about do not happen at launch.

People buy console at launch to play old game[cod, bf, ac4] on new hardware. the best selling game on PS4 & xbone is black flags. http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_tab_t_bs#1

You are kidding yourself if you think these console are nearly identical. One is cheaper and more powerful and one has kinect and tv stuff.

$100 more is nothing if it gets to me games I actually want to play. I have hard time getting excited over games that don't exist.

I'd imagine I'm not alone too. Especially outside of GAF.

1. Why would it be higher in price next year?
2. How would I lose money?

1. It happened with Vita, you could buy it day 1 with 8GB for 230€ shipping included. 3-4 months later it was 250€ everywhere without memory card. My PS4 preorder at amazon is currently 383€, without including bundles.

2. Buy for ~400, sell for less or the same (I seriously doubt you can make a profit reselling it on launch week), buy for ~400 again 3 months later.

You can just spend the 400 and enjoy it for those three months with whatever you can get your hands on, even if it's just multiplats.

I really doubt that this delay will lead to the game being 60 FPS. There's only so much optimization that you can do and having a couple of extra months isn't going to change that.

djjinx2

Launch exclusives may be the 4th or 5th reason to pick up a console at launch. People dont remember launch games and the exclusives people really care about do not happen at launch.

People buy console at launch to play old game[cod, bf, ac4] on new hardware. the best selling game on PS4 & xbone is black flags. http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_tab_t_bs#1

You are kidding yourself if you think these console are nearly identical. One is cheaper and more powerful and one has kinect and tv stuff.

AMAZON UK BEST SELLERS TOP 100

14 - Ass : Black Flag (MP PS4)
17 - CoD Ghosts (MP PS4)
20 - FIFA 14 (MP PS4)
36 - BF4 (MP PS4)
44 - Watch Dogs (MP PS4)
50 - CoD Ghosts (MP XB One)
59 - KZ ShadowFall (EX PS4)
70 - Destiny (MP PS4)
71 - Dead Rising (EX XB One)
72 - BF4 (MP XB One)
84 - Forza 5 (EX XB One)
100 - Knack (EX PS4)

DNF - Driveclub (EX PS4)

Oh and
Best Sellers #3 - PS4
Most Wished For #1 - PS4
Most Gifted #3 - PS4
Hot New Release #1 - PS4

I think that speaks volumes.... Now wheres that Boom.gif

Its odd how some people act like they never seen a damn game delay.
I think you can agree that this is a special case:

1- it was one of the first games revealed for the PS4
2- it was supposed to be a launch day release
3- everyone with PS+ was going to get a version of it
4- we're a month out from release which is very late to announce a delay

For this particular game, if they are going to delay. I rather them add weather than spend time for 60fps.
Yes! I was very bummed when I heard that weather got dropped.

I didn't know so many people were interested in Driveclub here. When I went to fanexpo this year, no one touched the driveclub booths, lol.
It is a little surprising. I've been looking forward to this game since the reveal but I'm probably in the minority.

Racer1977

But why do exclusives matter? I would say they're the biggest reason to pick one nearly identical console over another.
Firstly, I'd argue these aren't nearly identical consoles, I'd suggest theres a notable performance difference that will become more apparent as time goes by. For that reason alone PS4 will have the definitive version of 3rd party titles.

Secondly, exclusives are why PS4 is the safest bet in town.

PS4 hasn't yet been released, PS3 owners have been enjoying the likes of the Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls, with the biggest Sony franchise of all, Gran Turismo, coming in December. That's a far cry from abandoning a system two years back.

PS4 owners know they'll be getting a steady supply of titles from the likes of PD, GG, SSM, R&D, MM, QD, ND etc., I'm also convinced Driveclub will surpass expectations significantly when released.

It seems people are being disingenuous, taking a snap shot of launch day, while ignoring what has happened in previous years, and what we expect going forward.

Neither console has been released yet, I could switch my pre-ordered right now, and lose nothing. I won't be, as the points I've outlined above stand true regardless of what happens to Driveclub.

Nafai1123

Banned
$100 more is nothing if it gets to me games I actually want to play. I have hard time getting excited over games that don't exist.

I'd imagine I'm not alone too. Especially outside of GAF.

People outside of GAF care about franchises they like. As evidence, see UK/US Amazon pre-orders.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

17 - CoD Ghosts (MP PS4)
20 - FIFA 14 (MP PS4)
36 - BF4 (MP PS4)
44 - Watch Dogs (MP PS4)
70 - Destiny (MP PS4)
72 - BF4 (MP XB One)
84 - Forza 5 (EX XB One)
100 - Knack (EX PS4)

DNF - Driveclub (EX PS4)

Is interesting.

As far as Amazon can be used as a barometer, the 2013 overall chart might be more illuminating about total relative interest in games.

Same story as far as third party > first party goes, but different rankings.

61 FIFA 14 PS4
67 Watch Dogs PS4
68 Call of Duty Ghosts PS4
89 Battlefield 4 PS4

- Nothing else charts

Going by that, Watch Dogs' delay was a much bigger deal really.

Krakn3Dfx

I doubt we even see a substitute. Knack would be cool, but I don't see it happening in the US.

Maybe half of Knack for Plus subs, with an option to upgrade to the full game for $30 or something like that. I can't see them giving away a full $60 game as a substitute when they weren't giving away the full version of DC in the first place.

I hope Sony confirms this or denies it (if it really is a rumor after all) by the end of today.

They shouldn't drag this thing out. Just makes things worse.

Maybe half of Knack for Plus subs, with an option to upgrade to the full game for $30 or something like that. I can't see them giving away a full $60 game as a substitute when they weren't giving away the full version of DC in the first place.

Isn't that what they're doing in Japan though? I don't think it's out of the question. The whole idea of splitting it to create a "PS+ Edition" is certainly not out of the question either, but I think I'd be a bit let down by that. (If it was a $20 upgrade, I think I'd be cool with it.)

S¡mon;86410837 said:
I hope they will replace PS Plus DriveClub Edition with an awesome triple A title, such as FIFA 14 *hint hint*

This would be the ultimate disappointment for me. To go from a driving game that I would probably play a little, just for the heck of it, to a game that I would almost certainly not even bother installing would be depressing. I like sports, soccer/football included, but not in video game form.

They could simply offer another Indie Game for free, THEN, offer Knack at a discount of like $30 for the full game. I would be happy with that. The only reason I think that Sony should replace Driveclub with another game, or at least another offer, is kinda what FamousMort Said.

He said something like how this is the first bad news, and that is fine if there is no more bad news, but if more bad news drops, then it snowballs. If DriveClub isn't replaced with another free game on PS Plus, some users will turn that into the second set of bad news, then people will compile those two into this HUGE MEGA bad news freight train.

I still think Sony will do something about Driveclub on Plus. Whether they offer Knack for free, or at a discount, or simply replace with another Indie game, or even give away 3 months or so of Plus for free, I still think Sony will come up with some type of alternative plan, thus the delay for announcing the delay.

I don't think Sony wants to announce that DriveClub is delayed, then say they have nothing to replace it or that it will not be replaced. Being able to say "Driveclub is delayed till next year, and we are sorry, to make it up to you, we are offering xxxxxx to users for PS4 for free at launch." would be a clever way to try to turn this "bad news" into something somewhat positive.

Isn't that what they're doing in Japan though? I don't think it's out of the question. The whole idea of splitting it to create a "PS+ Edition" is certainly not out of the question either, but I think I'd be a bit let down by that. (If it was a $20 upgrade, I think I'd be cool with it.)

In addition, not just Driveclub, but Watch_Dogs as well. Marketing with Ubi for WD was insane; official bundles and all.

You do? Why would you buy a console at launch if it wasn't for launch games? What's the point in buying any kind hardware before you can get the software you want to use? It's not like the console is getting more expensive after launch, is it? If there's nothing to play for me at launch, I'll buy the system later. Maybe it's even available in a different color or so until then. I get the idea that it's neat to "be there" when new hardware launches. But that feeling wears off within hours after the purchase. At least for me.

"Just for" would be the major qualifying statement here. You buy a console for the current and future libraries.

i didn't run out and get a ps2 just to play SSX and DOA2 HC all day. I got it because I know those games, and games like MGS 2, FFX, and others were on the way.

If you were already set on a ps4, a game getting delayed at launch isn't going to make you jump ship. Likewise for anyone getting an Xbox.

What i'm really crying foul on is all the fanboys and plants saying "game X delayed? time to buy Y instead" that are popping up these last two days.

tfur

17 - CoD Ghosts (MP PS4)
20 - FIFA 14 (MP PS4)
36 - BF4 (MP PS4)
44 - Watch Dogs (MP PS4)
70 - Destiny (MP PS4)
72 - BF4 (MP XB One)
84 - Forza 5 (EX XB One)
100 - Knack (EX PS4)

DNF - Driveclub (EX PS4)

Oh and
Best Sellers #3 - PS4
Most Wished For #1 - PS4
Most Gifted #3 - PS4
Hot New Release #1 - PS4

Ah, but this was BEFORE the #DRIVECLUB delay....

concernytrollface.gif

In addition, not just Driveclub, but Watch_Dogs as well. Marketing with Ubi for WD was insane; official bundles and all.

Did you quote the wrong person? I'm not understanding how this is related to what I was talking about. I don't think Sony owes anyone anything for Watch_Dogs as that was out of their hands. I'm only commenting on what would replace the the Drive Club PS+ Edition.

viveks86

Status update for all:

Driveclub is still listed under "Day 1 for PS4" trailers on the Playstation Store. Just wanted to check if stuff is getting taken down. Launch date is still the same on the PS4 website as well. Not that any of that isn't subject to change. Thought I'd put it out there for those of us who still have hope! :)

Cidd

maybe they delayed Watch Dogs to launch alongside the movie Sony is supposedly making?

Sad if rumour about DC delay is true, I was looking forward to it. oh well i still got GT6 to hold me over until then.

Sean

Banned
I doubt we even see a substitute. Knack would be cool, but I don't see it happening in the US.

Why not? Game is already being given away in Japan and is destined to be a massive flop in the US. It's not like Sony would be losing out on a ton of sales nice nobody was going to buy Knack anyway. It makes perfect sense IMO.

I think most people would view Knack as a disappointing replacement though. It'd be like if MS got dudebros excited for free Halo and then swapped it out for Blinx at the last minute.

S¡mon

Banned
This would be the ultimate disappointment for me. To go from a driving game that I would probably play a little, just for the heck of it, to a game that I would almost certainly not even bother installing would be depressing. I like sports, soccer/football included, but not in video game form.
Maybe, but I think that, especially in Europe, for most gamers, it would be a great decision. FIFA is extremely popular in Europe and I think more people would enjoy it than DriveClub.

In the US they could use Madden NFL 25?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is interesting.

As far as Amazon can be used as a barometer, the 2013 overall chart might be more illuminating about total relative interest in games.

Same story as far as third party > first party goes, but different rankings.

61 FIFA 14 PS4
67 Watch Dogs PS4
68 Call of Duty Ghosts PS4
89 Battlefield 4 PS4

- Nothing else charts

Going by that, Watch Dogs' delay was a much bigger deal really.

That list... is not shocking.

Status update for all:

Driveclub is still listed under "Day 1 for PS4" trailers on the Playstation Store. Just wanted to check if stuff is getting taken down. Launch date is still the same on the PS4 website as well. Not that any of that isn't subject to change. Thought I'd put it out there for those of us who still have hope! :)

Vivek, your belief will save DriveClub for the rest of us!

Believe!

How good would it be if DC wasn't delayed? ;P

S¡mon;86412895 said:
Maybe, but I think that, especially in Europe, for most gamers, it would be a great decision. FIFA is extremely popular in Europe and I think more people would enjoy it than DriveClub.

In the US they could use Madden NFL 25?

No doubt about that. I know FIFA is huge in Europe, so I'm sure that would go over great in that territory. It wouldn't be a big deal in the US, as you've noted, but I don't think Madden would ever sign a deal with Sony to release the game for free in the US. There's just too much money to be made there (I likely a legal morasse that no one wants to get into with the NFL and its licensing).

I was mostly just stating my distaste for sports games in general. I think they largely just get pushed out every year without much effort, and I don't want to support that, or play it. (Lots of people eat it up though, so it's just a matter of opinion.) I personally hope Sony goes with something first party. But we shall see.

FourMyle

by the end of the month we'll find out that there are literally no games coming out for the rest of this year. it was a little embarrassing once all the companies realized it, but there you go.

Aren't you that clown who was calling the KZ:SF footage from the february reveal CG? Haven't seen you posting in a next gen thread for months. Funny that.

Vyse

Gold Member
With all of the hype Driveclub is getting, expectations are gong to be very high when it releases.

S¡mon

Banned
No doubt about that. I know FIFA is huge in Europe, so I'm sure that would go over great in that territory. It wouldn't be a big deal in the US, as you've noted, but I don't think Madden would ever sign a deal with Sony to release the game for free in the US. There's just too much money to be made there (I likely a legal morasse that no one wants to get into with the NFL and its licensing).

I was mostly just stating my distaste for sports games in general. I think they largely just get pushed out every year without much effort, and I don't want to support that, or play it. (Lots of people eat it up though, so it's just a matter of opinion.) I personally hope Sony goes with something first party. But we shall see.
So you would prefer either Killzone: Shadow Fall or Knack?

I would like to get Killzone: Shadow Fall, but I think there is too much money to be made there. And Knack for free on PS+? I think it wouldn't be as well received as DriveClub.

UNCMark

Banned
But it's like the xbots god finally answered their prayers...some negative PS4 news!

Woot! lol

If this thread has taught you anything, it's that the bolded word is a no-no. The answer to trolling isn't more trolling.

With all of the hype Driveclub is getting, expectations are gong to be very high when it releases.

The upside is that you don't generally delay a game that you don't care about the quality of.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
S¡mon;86414251 said:
So you would prefer either Killzone: Shadow Fall or Knack?

I would like to get Killzone: Shadow Fall, but I think there is too much money to be made there. And Knack for free on PS+? I think it wouldn't be as well received as DriveClub.

I think PS+ would do more for Knack than KZ though.

Knack looks like it could be a 'fan favourite', if it's good quality, but could do with getting into more hands in order to achieve that status vs something like KZ which is probably a bigger priority for more buyers.

edit - nm, kind of misread your comment :p But I think a DC delay could have a silver lining for Knack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom