• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's JP mag news summary thread - can you take it?

Stumpokapow said:
Tail of the Sun is a gem. Unfortunate the unbearable framerate and hideous graphics sort of render it less of a gem ten years later.
I wanted to like it, but it's an occasion where my assumption that I'd like something reviewers called quirky and gave low scores bit me in the rear. The hideous graphics were a sort of un-icing; it's like a game where just walking around the world could be more fun than playing the game... but looking at the world wasn't fun, either.

Jonnyram

McDragon said:
Jonnyram/Mandoric, can you please post LO review part?
- battle tempo is extremely agreeable
- boss fights are tough but if you polish your tactics, they are fun
- Kaim's existence in the story is, according to Shigematsu's writing, very deep and well crafted. A virtuous story, as Sakaguchi also said
- event scenes progress with beautiful graphics, impressive
- battles have a noticeable effect on your characters, which develop in an enjoyable way
- it's a good RPG for adults to play and take lots of time playing through
- scenario is very "bitter"
- 4 DVDs with amazing video and beautiful music
- it's a shame about frequent loading and the poor lip-syncing

(everything is lip-synced to the English voicework, unfortunately)

bryehn

Jonnyram said:
PSP | Coded Soul
SCEJ, 7 Feb 2008
- Development: Gaia, Producer: OKADA Koji, Sound: SAKIMOTO Hitoshi, Chara design: KAZAMA Raita, Scenario: I suck at names
- It's an RPG where you capture and form a party of monsters, then use them in cooperative action battles.
- The basis of the game is use of monsters. Customization, training, and item synthesis all deepen the play.
- More than 100 enemy monsters
- Multiplay is a race through dungeons, but you can also trade monsters.
- Can connect with PS3 "Folks Soul".

Nice, a Monster Kingdom sequel it seems. First game I played on PSP, and still one of my favourites.

MCD

Thank you Jonnyram.

no mention of frame rate issues? good i guess.

as for the lip syncing, I'm fine with it since i prefer English dub most of the time.

and nice to hear that the bosses are tough.

chris0701 said:
I have seen the review part in 2ch.

First complete playing time is around 20~25 hr.

25 hours, not bad for me but it varies from one person to another.

Man Lost Odyssey impressions are all over the place, and it's not even out! "Saw the video, awesome" "Saw the final release at the concert show, looked like it needed work" "Famitsu360 8 8 8 9 WTFWTF" "Famitsu 9 9 9 9 ZUH?" "Famitsu: Takes a while to beat" "Other thread: takes 20-25 hours" etc

Can't wait for the final-release impressions

Teknoman

bryehn said:
Nice, a Monster Kingdom sequel it seems. First game I played on PSP, and still one of my favourites.

Umm wouldnt Coded Soul be more or less a PSP sequel/side story of Folk Soul/Folklore for the PS3? I mean its talking about its ability to connect with the game...so that would be my first guess.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm beginning to wonder, actually, if Nintendo is sending Wii Fit out to gaming magazines at all.

Jonnyram said:
- Kaim's existence in the story is, according to Shigematsu's writing, very deep and well crafted. A virtuous story, as Sakaguchi also said
- battles have a noticeable effect on your characters, which develop in an enjoyable way

This... sounds... GREAT. :O This is going to be the game that tips my wife and I over into owning a 360, probably.

Not for me!

harSon

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
No More Heroes is going to be an amazing game.

It better get marketed like hell in America.

I really doubt it, I'm fairly sure this game will be doomed to cult fandom. Doesn't seem like a very marketable title for the west, and even if for some reason it was marketed, I can't see the game selling all that well. Despite Suda wanting his games to sell, I think hes come to realization that his game developing vision is a bit to obscure for the gaming industry to embrace. I really do hope it sales though...

ivysaur12

Banned
harSon said:
I really doubt it, I'm fairly sure this game will be doomed to cult fandom. Doesn't seem like a very marketable title for the west, and even if for some reason it was marketed, I can't see the game selling all that well. Despite Suda wanting his games to sell, I think hes come to realization that his vision for games is a bit to obtuse for the gaming industry to embrace. I really do hope it sales though...

I mean, just show the over the top action, the violence, the gore, and make a really good TV spot. It's Ubisoft, they can make commercials.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
sweet ass scores for Mina i must be like on my 1000'th game by now, so addictive.

Hopefully Uncharted will sell half decent in Japan with those score, its getting depressing seeing games like Ratchet bomb over there :(

Xelinis

Glad to see ToI getting some love. Now if only they localized Tales of Rebirth, I could die a happy man. (Chances of that are near zilch though. :/ )

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jonnyram said:

Take that Japan, now you know how we feel when we play your JRPG's.

Ydahs said:
That's a PS3 game? Honestly thought it was for PS2.

And another innocent babe learns of NI.

@ ToI

That one dude with a rifle looks VERY out of place amongst all those standard-edition doe-eyed Inomata characters.

Pachael

sp0rsk said:
I'm beginning to wonder, actually, if Nintendo is sending Wii Fit out to gaming magazines at all.

Check health or lifestyle magazines - is there any mention? That might be a better audience for what Nintendo's looking for in regards to Wii Fit.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Bebpo said:
Also, WOWWOWOW at the No More Heroes score.

I think that's the highest rated Suda 51 game EVER :O Maybe the game will be the next Killer 7 after all?

Definitely a great score, but not the highest for Suda, Killer 7 got a 9,9,8,10. And yes lets hope it is the next Killer 7 in terms of being completely freaking awesome and crazy, but lets hope it isnt Killer 7 in terms of sales, which were abysmal, especially in Japan if Im not mistaken. Anyone know the final sales of K7?

Ubisoft better do a good job here in the US marketing the game, if they can make Red Steel sell like it did, hopefully a good game like NMH can do just as well, one would like to think even better. Also can anyone report on the interest/marketing for NMH in Japan?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Jonnyram said:

Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. This one may actually live up to the hype for me! Crap, I'm essEYEted

vareon

Mandoric said:
Tales of Innocence review.
* Polygon graphics came out really well.
* Can get drawn into the story
* Portions are a bit hard for newcomers to the series to understand
* Character customization is relatively free, and the breadth is enjoyable
* The characters themselves, whether enemy or ally, are enjoyable and make a big impact
* Battle gives you greater freedom of movement than before
* Lots of systems that can draw the player in is a good point
* May have been better with a bit more detailed explanations

Hmmm nice. This game went up from "might buy" to "will buy". As for NMH, it remains "Day One". :D

ethelred

I'm really glad Lost Odyssey and Tales of Innocence got good scores, though at the same time, I'm hoping actual gamers will back up both of those scores once they get the games. Really excited for these two (particularly LO).

Bebpo said:
Wait, wait, wait, WTF on that Innocence score.

The only Tales games that score in the 35/40s are Team Symphonia's Symphonia & Abyss.

I was kinda curious too after seeing that, so I did a search. Here's what Datschge posted back when Tempest came out (I've added Innocence in):

Code:
Abyss: 		36 (9/9/9/9)
Rebirth: 	35 (9/9/9/8)
Innocence:	35 (9/9/9/8)
Symphonia GCN: 	34 (9/9/8/8)
Symphonia PS2: 	33 (9/8/8/8)
Destiny 2: 	33 (8/8/8/9)
Eternia PSX: 	33 (9/8/8/8)
Eternia PSP: 	33 (8/8/8/9)
Destiny PSX: 	32 (8/8/9/7)
Legendia: 	32 (8/8/8/8)
Phantasia SFC: 	31 (8/6/9/7)
Phantasia PSX: 	29 (7/7/7/8)
Phantasia GBA: 	28 (7/7/7/7)
Tempest: 	28 (7/7/7/7)

So, uh... yeah, if they're correct, wow. I'll be interested in hearing how that pans out.

Vinnk

Enduin said:
Also can anyone report on the interest/marketing for NMH in Japan?

The otaku gamers in my city can't wait. The mainstream hasn't even heard of it. I predict very low sales. The hardcore will buy it and love it, no one else will notice. As for me, I'll be picking it up day one despite the fact that used copies will brobably be available a few days later. Gotta support good efforts.

Acosta

Well, as always, thanks a lot to everyone who take the time to post the screens and do the translations.

Disgaea 3 looks fantastic, this time I will have patience and will wait until the English version.

Coded Soul looks great and JAWA looks charming. And the review of ToI are promising.

I like what I´m reading about LO, seems like a game I am going to enjoy. I suppose the "poor lip sync" is because it has been made for English speech, right?

oooooooo JAWA does look like a new-gen TAIL OF THE SUN!!

interest rising! The TotS haters don't bother me. It was a pretty simple (albeit abstract) game that has it's own graphical charm, even 10 years later. You gotta love body-part power-ups in the shape of different sugar cakes (designed specifically for the game by one of Japan's most famous sugar cake designers) and far off islands inhabited by torso-less asses walking around. @_@ :D

ethelred

Coded Soul looks really cool, but... sorry, Cozy. Need a little bit more before I get excited this time! "Fool me once," and all that.

Vic said:
Layton 3, already?

Yeah, no kidding. Level-5's not wasting any time!

Vic said:
btw, you didn't gave the name of this game.

I'm pretty sure that's Flower, Sun, & Rain DS, the Suda 51 game.

Bo130

Famitsu doesn't review training games, Brain Training, Common Sense Training and such. Are we sure they're even going to review Wii Fit?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Jonnyram posted some infos in the first post already

DS | 花と太陽と雨と (With flowers, sun and rain)
MMV, Spring 2008
- port of PS2 game announced in 2001
- more than 50 new mysteries

The game never came out on the PS2?

decent content this week...

LO sounds pretty good, and the overall score so far are pretty good, funny how it got higher in famitsu than the 360 mag though...poor loading times is kind of crap too, really this should be a primary issue in games these days...

Top Bottom