• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic kinda disappointed by the Switch's power

Mister Wolf

I'm surprised they are having trouble with Battle Chasers. From everything ive seen nothing about it screams demanding.

G0523

This is the same company that decided to put out Darksiders: Warmastered Edition on Wii U a little over a month ago. They could've ported that to Switch. Their priorities are a bit off.

Sami+

It's not that much more powerful than something like a nvidia shield.

I think me and many others would have preferred if Nintendo ditched the gimmicky crap (joycons) and went for better hardware.

Joycons are actually pretty great but I wish they'd sell them for cheaper without the rumble shit. Really don't care about that at all. As they are though they're setting the console up to be able to do Wii VC and complement the idea of the console perfectly.

But yeah, it is what it is. If they find ways to work through the power barrier like they did with Wii U, I'm all for it.

Maybe put both Darkstalkers on Switch, for example.

ultrazilla

For once, I'd love Nintendo to grasp for a system capable of at least getting multi-plat releases.

Let's hope they iterate on the Switch tablet with more meat on the bones in a year or so.

Plum

Even nintendo calls it a home console...do you know something we and nintendo don;t?

Come on, man. This whole "but Nintendo called it!" argument is tired. What matters is what it is and what it is is a powerful handheld and an underpowered home console.

Huh, so the title is misleading?

Kind off. Few would legitimately be disappointed at the Switch not magically being more powerful with what is essentially tablet hardware. Seems like THQ Nordic are more disappointed in what the Switch is in its entirety rather than how powerful it is in its current form factor.

Just checked out Battle chasers, and it looks really good! Hope they can get it to run well on the switch or the ipad, as this isn't a game I'd buy for my pc/ps4.

He says he is sad that the hardware wasn't beefier, what should had I named it?

You probably should have named it the actual article's intent (Talking about the lessons THQ learned from the fall of its predecessor) and not just focus on the aspect of them not having many compatible titles to port to Switch.

Its relationship (and financial dependence) with Nintendo, once large with its previous incarnation with kid friendly and licensed titles bloating up the library, was one of the mistakes the old THQ made, and that's why they're mentioned. Lamenting that the Switch isn't as powerful as they hoped it would be, but are willing to work with it on its new mission for more serious game entries is one aspect of the conversation.

Come on, man. This whole "but Nintendo called it!" argument is tired. What matters is what it is and what it is is a powerful handheld and an underpowered home console.

Kind off. Only people like the above would legitimately be disappointed at the Switch not magically being more powerful with what is essentially tablet hardware. Seems like THQ Nordic are more disappointed in what the Switch is in its entirety rather than how powerful it is in its current form factor.
Idc about the power race but Ima call it what Nintendo does they say it's a home console. I'll listen to that before I listen to their hardcore

Plum

Idc about the power race but Ima call it what Nintendo does they say it's a home console. I'll listen to that before I listen to their hardcore

What you're essentially saying here is that you're using PR talk from a company notorious for their wishy-washy PR to disguise the fact that you're wrong.

I think me and many others would have preferred if Nintendo ditched the gimmicky crap (joycons) and went for better hardware.
If gimmicky crap nets the user the most versatile controller on the market then bring on the gimmicky crap.

Famassu

I feel like, if it can run Zelda, it should be able to run their 2D turn-based RPG.
I'm of the impression that high-res (smoothly animated) 2d doesn't come cheap? Haven't followed Battle Chasers too closely so I'm not quite sure how they've done things in it, but that could explain some of it?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fans aren't opposed to using pr talk themselves. You don't get to decide what it is they do

I mean...there is spin and then there is reality in terms of what is realistic power wise for a form factor.

cuate

Banned

it's a fucking portable. look at it, it even has a screen and everything

NintendoSwitch-1200x675.jpg

Battle Chasers is also made in Unity. Not like they started the development of this game with optimization in mind.

giphy.gif

NSESN

Bleg I think you misunderstanding what Nintendo means by that. When they call it a home console it is because of the type of games it is getting and not its form factor. Switch has yet to receive a game that Nintendo would launch for a handheld intead of a home console.

What makes you think a controller is holding back the hardware? Joycons serve an important purpose to the Switch. They are far from a gimmick.

Finn

It will mostly just be a ton of Nintendo fans telling these devs they don't know what their talking about and they could easily put their games on Switch.

Edit: damn, they beat me to it already.
How can you use "their" properly in one context, and improperly in another?

Dremorak

Banned
Theres nothing crazy happening with what we've seen of the game that makes it seem impossible to run well, I get the impression this says more about the engine they are using than anything else.

Gitaroo

its just not part of the console multi platform eco system like PS2 era, unless you are making simple indie game.

I mean, i bought a switch and im satisfied enough with its visuals i guess. But if they had one SKU that was portable handheld hybrid like it is now, and another one that was like, 2x the power and home console only, i wouldnt even look at the hybrid.

This whole continuous argument of whether the Switch is a console or portable is by far the dumbest, most meaningless shit I've seen on this board in a long time. It doesn't fucking matter!

Top Bottom