• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Nordic kinda disappointed by the Switch's power

B-but it's not the weakest console, it's the strongest handheld!
pOyJGmT.gif

ReitStuff

Man, sometimes THQ Nordic makes no sense. Why did they release Darksiders Warmastered on the Wii U in 2017 and not the Switch? That game ran in 1080p on Wii U and I'm sure would run great on Switch.

They also released quite a few games on Wii U like Darksiders 2 and Legend of Kay. Why is the Switch's power an issue but Wii U's wasn't?

Moze

Banned
For a handheld Switch has pretty powerful hardware so not sure what more they expected?

The trouble is, what western developer is interesting in making AAA handheld games?

If it is the most powerful handheld, then it isn't much better for third party support.

Famassu

Good who needs them anyways. Developers are lining up to make games for Switch. Whats one less one?
It's not just one publisher. You ain't gonna see Red Dead Redemption 2 on Switch either.

And THQ would like to bring more games to Switch but due to its underpowered hardware, they don't see that as possible. No need to be butthurt about a publisher saying not-so-good things about a console.

LordKasual

Banned
They most certainly are.

There are third party and 1st games which run great on the system, they are just saying these for the sake of saying it...

You guys really must not understand just how far behind modern consoles are as far as GPU and CPU power goes.

The PS4 was technically already weak compared to PCs when it was released. The Switch was a 2017 release and it's even weaker.

Of course people are disappointed by it.

And honestly, as artistically beautiful as Breath of the Wild is, it looks pretty mediocre as far as modern games go. Aliasing, alot of pop-in, LoD cutoff is quite close, low resolution textures, ect ect.

BotW and Odyssey are just examples of Nintendo knowing how to make shit look good with the tools they have. Take Nintendo out of the equation, and yeah, the Switch's horsepower may seem problematic.

I mean, i bought a switch and im satisfied enough with its visuals i guess. But if they had one SKU that was portable handheld hybrid like it is now, and another one that was like, 2x the power and home console only, i wouldnt even look at the hybrid.
But it would sell even less. The major selling point of the Switch is that it's a console you can take on the go, and it actually works. That's the important part. People are amazed that Nintendo actually did it.

I think in this case Nordic are, much like posters in this thread, wishing for something more idyllic even if it doesn't necessarily gel well with what we know of the Switch's nature and its production. It's not necessarily a position rooted in 'we think they clearly could have done this because of X, Y, Z', so much as 'but wouldn't it be nice...?'

The Tegra X2, though it exists, would have been a relatively late, significant change in the hardware if they had tried to opt for that over the X1. Nvidia would have also likely been more willing to part with the X1 at a reduced cost than they would the X2. The Switch ultimately makes sense for what was available to Nintendo at the time for the purposes they required.

But it would sell even less. The major selling point of the Switch is that it's a console you can take on the go, and it actually works. That's the important part. People are amazed that Nintendo actually did it.

Yes, and again, this is a thread based on "satisfaction with the power of the machine". In that aspect, i dont care how much it sells or doesnt. It is strictly speaking on what you think about the technical capabilities of the machine.

Mister Wolf

You guys really must not understand just how far behind modern consoles are as far as GPU and CPU power goes.

The PS4 was technically already weak compared to PCs when it was released. The Switch was a recent release and it's even weaker.

Of course people are disappointed by it.

And honestly, as artistically beautiful as Breath of the Wild is, it looks pretty mediocre as far as modern games go. Aliasing, alot of pop-in, LoD cutoff is quite close, low resolution textures, ect ect.

BotW and Odyssey are just examples of Nintendo knowing how to make shit look good with the tools they have. Take Nintendo out of the equation, and yeah, the Switch's horsepower may seem problematic.

Whatever you say about BOTW its leaps and bounds above Battle Chasers. Where do you think the struggle to run Battle Chasers is coming from?

OuterLimits

Nintendo would have been idiotic to make a traditional home console that is having to directly compete with the other two.

Instead they smartly focused on a system that could be used as a portable as well. With Sony abandoning this market, it pretty much leaves them as the only viable option for those that like handheld games. With a nice bonus of being able to play it on a TV as well.

If it takes effort certain developers and publishers will be disappointed by it.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect third party to specifically develop a Switch version separate from current gen Xbox/Playstation/PC versions because the processing just doesn't hold up. Either developers hold back to accommodate Nintendo's for the sake of efficiency or they butcher their games to accommodate Nintendo's. Neither is a great solution.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, and again, this is a thread based on "satisfaction with the power of the machine". In that aspect, i dont care how much it sells or doesnt. It is strictly speaking on what you think about the technical capabilities of the machine.

Good for a handheld. A gen ahead of the Vita an two over the 3DS. THQN even said they expected a 3DS successor, so dont bring that Nintendo says its a console crap.

Why does nearly every switch thread trying to discuss the technical aspects of the machine end up with defensive "BUT SALES!!!!1111" comments?

We get it, its selling well, and its going to get good support because of that. We get that.

This has nothing to do with discussing how satisfied or dissatisfied we are with the power of the console.

Mister Wolf

It was the same thing with I Am Setsuna. You telling me Mario Odyssey is 60fps but I Am Setsuna had to be 30fps on the Switch? I'm calling bullshit.

nynt9

What kind of turn based rpg REQUIRES beefy specs to run in 2017?

One designed for baseline PS4/XB1 specs? Those specs aren't really "beefy" anyway. The switch is just below the standard for the generation. This obviously means games designed for those systems will be difficult/impossible to port sometimes. It's a gamble Nintendo obviously was willing to take, and the fans should accept that they took that gamble. I have a switch and I understand this as well.

I just lament the fact that now everyone will be talking back and forth about the Switch's power and THQ Nordic's capability as a developer and not about the actual article, which is actually pretty interesting. They're talking about they're trying to learn from the previous mistakes from THQ, like focusing on more serious looking games, and not trying to spread themselves thin with so many games in development.

I don't think multiplats is the answer for Switch when it comes to its success. It's not going to run PS4 games in any acceptable manner.

I still don't understand why whenever people mention ports, they talk about PS4 or XB1. PS3 and Xbox 360 should be the goal. Now if the hubbub is that Switch can't handle those games, we've got the makings of a good conversation.

LordKano

I just lament the fact that now everyone will be talking back and forth about the Switch's power and THQ Nordic's capability as a developer and not about the actual article, which is actually pretty interesting. They're talking about they're trying to learn from the previous mistakes from THQ, like focusing on more serious looking games, and not trying to spread themselves thin with so many games in development.

Remember that "Gaf only likes bad news" thread ?

Famassu

Whatever you say about BOTW its leaps and bounds above Battle Chasers. Where do you think the struggle to run Battle Chasers is coming from?
It's using Unity which has trouble running even on XB1 and PS4 and since three out of the four platforms Battle Chasers is coming for are more powerful, they just might be doing things under the hood in a way that doesn't translate well to running on an inferior hardware without doing bigger changes/adjustments/tons of optimization. Nowadays even smaller games might do some pretty intense stuff under the hood so just because they aren't open world games like BOTW it doesn't mean you can run them on modern toasters.

I think they're going to come out swinging with darksiders 3 and go up from there I think they can do it

OmegaDL50

For a handheld Switch has pretty powerful hardware so not sure what more they expected?

With a handheld device of the Switch's form factor, I don't know many other devices that surpass it. This factors Apple and Android devices within the Switch price range too.

Even if we get beyond the Switch price range most of the high end expensive mobile options in the Switch form factor generally don't provide the same sort of experiences to had in a console-like experience the Switch provides.

Then again it is a unrealistic expectation and scenario to expect PS4 Pro level fidelity in the form factor the Switch has, especially with reasonable battery capacity pushing those levels of visuals IN 2017 EVEN.

Mister Wolf

It's using Unity which has trouble running even on XB1 and PS4 and since three out of the four platforms Battle Chasers is coming for are more powerful, they just might be doing things under the hood in a way that doesn't translate well to running on an inferior hardware without doing bigger changes/adjustments/tons of optimization. Nowadays even smaller games might do some pretty intense stuff under the hood so just because they aren't open world games like BOTW it doesn't mean you can run them on modern toasters.

So Unity is a piece of shit engine that developers love to use.

SgtCobra

If they indeed are disappointed then let them be, don't know why anyone would get mad at that statement. I'm sure they're not the only ones who have that opinion as I think there are several western developers who see the Switch as a home console with portable capabilities.

And Nintendo isn't disappointed by its sales
This has nothing to do with the whole subject though?

Yes, but this is a tech based thread so i dont know what your point is?

My point is that Nintendo was correct for going for the tech they did if it was necessary for them to achieve the Switch's form factor. They clearly have a stronger understanding of the hardware market than THQ Nordic.

This has nothing to do with the whole subject though?

It absolutely does. It'd be like if I was a developer and said, "I'm kinda disappointed with the 3DS power..." Like, it's main appeal isn't power. Get over it. In fact, the Switch's power is actual pretty impressive for what it is going for. And the sales prove Nintendo was right to go down that route. So who cares what THQ Nordic thinks about the Switch's power? Definitely not Nintendo...

Mister Wolf

What was so impressive under the hood about I Am Setsuna that it had to be 30fps on the Switch?

Mael

One designed for baseline PS4/XB1 specs? Those specs aren't really "beefy" anyway. The switch is just below the standard for the generation. This obviously means games designed for those systems will be difficult/impossible to port sometimes. It's a gamble Nintendo obviously was willing to take, and the fans should accept that they took that gamble. I have a switch and I understand this as well.

And what does that look like?
We're past stuff where games like FFXIII (and probably XV too) can run on the Switch after all.
On top of that a strictly turn based system doesn't require that much computation where shit like pokemon can run on a fucking 3DS and be mightily more complicated than most turn based system.
WTF are they doing that is turnbased and requires that kind of specs?
I mean sure games like DKCTR cannot run on anything but WiiU for example but you will never see anyone make the argument that it couldn't be made to accommodate lower specs either.
What part of the experience requires something that is so beyond what the Switch offers?

Scum

It's good to see THQ Nordic are willing to straighten up after their previous terrible antics but come Sin, you've been here long enough mate. Reading the article is for sissies! :p
Expect a move onto Nintendo's mobile app/voice chat/online shenanigans once the Spla2n Direct is over.

J@hranimo

Banned
Eh, this is unsurprising. This will be a thing for quite some time.

Meanwhile, Indie games and some more niche Japanese games will be the main 3rd parties flourishing on the platform. Keep cranking out good shit Indies!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD

But is it a handheld? If so, yes it's the most powerful dedicated handheld. Is it a console? If so, it's weaker than consoles released in 2013.

So, it's a toss-up. It's all about perception. I think Nintendo sees it as a console first, so in that respect, it's weak.

It doesn't mean that's a bad thing necessarily, but more power would always be nice for third parties that have to develop for 2 much more powerful systems.

gafneo

Banned
I don't know why Switch games need to be so graphically demanding in the first place. I'm happy things just being HD.

schopaia

Man, sometimes THQ Nordic makes no sense. Why did they release Darksiders Warmastered on the Wii U in 2017 and not the Switch? That game ran in 1080p on Wii U and I'm sure would run great on Switch.

They also released quite a few games on Wii U like Darksiders 2 and Legend of Kay. Why is the Switch's power an issue but Wii U's wasn't?

Wii U's power is an issue - Warmastered runs like shit on it. And they had plenty of time to familiarize themselves with the hardware - same can't be said of any developer launching a big game this early in Switches life (probably why we haven't seen one yet).

Schnozberry

Unity is an engine with nice tools and is pretty much universally supported from a platform standpoint. That being said, it's never been easy to get great performance from it, and many unity games reflect that.

Instro

It's a piece of shit in the sense that it is often very CPU bound, which is unfortunately a weakness for all current consoles, even moreso with the Switch. Obviously it has some other issues as well, but ease of development makes it worthwhile for a lot of developers though.

This seems like a nothing headline, and a bit warped. The overall article itself is much more interesting than what was pulled out here. I think everyone is aware that the Switch is a low power device, that may or may not cause porting issues depending on the game.

nynt9

Man, these posts. It is not a "piece of shit". It is a cheap engine that is quite comprehensive for the price, very easy to use, has a robust community supporting it, and lets you deploy to many platforms, including mobile. Most of those platforms handle it relatively well. Switch is the exception I guess. Without it, we wouldn't have gotten many awesome games, including:

Kentucky Route Zero, Teslagrad, Broforce, Dreamfall Chapters, Endless Legend, Hearthstone, Square Enix Go series, Oddworld remake, Cities: Skylines, Grow Home, Ori and the Blind Forest, Pillars of Eternity, Firewatch, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Oxenfree, Overcooked, Pokemon Go, Superhot, Super Mario Run, and many more.

The only piece of shit here is your post.

And what does that look like?
We're past stuff where games like FFXIII (and probably XV too) can run on the Switch after all.
On top of that a strictly turn based system doesn't require that much computation where shit like pokemon can run on a fucking 3DS and be mightily more complicated than most turn based system.
WTF are they doing that is turnbased and requires that kind of specs?
I mean sure games like DKCTR cannot run on anything but WiiU for example but you will never see anyone make the argument that it couldn't be made to accommodate lower specs either.
What part of the experience requires something that is so beyond what the Switch offers?

It's not necessarily about "part of the experience". Do you understand programming? Engines? Software development isn't magic. If you build your game assuming a certain set of resources, it might be difficult to decouple the assumptions and make them scale for lower resources. Sometimes that's trivial, sometimes it isn't.

antonz

Most platforms can brute force Unity for all its issues. Switch does not have all that extra power to brute force. Unity managed to get as successful as they did because Unreal dragged their feet on costs for as long as they did. If they had opted to be more competitive earlier Unity would never have gotten as large as it has.

Top Bottom