• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Gameplay Footage (Embargo Lifted)

Graphics are on par with Halo 4.

Will we ever have a visual jaw-dropper from the Xbox One? Something like Gears was for the 360?

Nice try.

Having played Ryse, I guess it qualifies as a "jaw-dropper".

Shame it also isn't a jaw-dropper for its gameplay. Titanfall on the other hand...

Mrbob

Not really. Whenever you split your player base like that, the matchmaking system fails because it requires critical mass to work properly.

This is a big reason why Dota and LoL are so successful, and why a lot of my core group of friends that have been playing FPS's competitively since Quake 1 have taken those up as the default 'comp' game.

Until you meet up with smurf accounts who like to prey on lower level people.

Plenty of benefits to have local servers. You can get into games with custom games modes. You can have a more moderated experience. You can see what your ping is relative to the server you are going to join. Imagine how much it will suck for those without local Azure servers with Titanfall. If the PC version offered user run servers they could play locally and have a better experience.

Xerotwo

I wonder if there's going to be more game modes rather than the main one when it hits retail and goes through EA's "clusterfuck" day one catastrophy.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Why do I have a feeling that getting into this beta is only going to validate my concern about how (not) fun it will be to shoot at random bots?

Nerokis

Heh, kinda funny how many times the Giant Bomb guys said that it's call of duty.

We saw the same Quick Look, right? CoD is the obvious comparison to make, but Jeff also continuously emphasized how different the game feels. Near the end, one of Vinnie's takeaways was how different Titanfall is in general, and they discussed once or twice whether Titanfall would be copied by other games.

Why do I have a feeling that getting into this beta is only going to validate my concern about how (not) fun it will be to shoot at random bots?
Then you should start focusing on the players. If you want to win, you'll have to. AI grunts aren't ever a serious threat, more like mild power-ups that you shoot instead of picking up.

We saw the same Quick Look, right? CoD is the obvious comparison to make, but Jeff also continuously emphasized how different the game feels. Near the end, one of Vinnie's takeaways was how different Titanfall is in general, and they discussed once or twice whether Titanfall would be copied by other games.

Jeff also commented numerous times about how fun the game was, meanwhile he's been down on the last several Call of Duty's

MercuryLS

Banned
Looks boring and way to easy. Would be soooo much better if the dumb bots was replaced by real players.

The bots are a sticking point for me too. I want to fight real players only, not get distracted by dumb AI bots. That's the only thing I've seen that I don't like so far.

I'm halfway through and heard the phrase about 3 times. Just thought it was funny when they said it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

From watching the videos they look like satisfying cannon fodder and might make it less frustrating for noobs, which is going to be especially important given that the game has kind of added another entire axis to think about in terms of maneuvering. I suspect that people who get to be good at this are going to be REALLY good.

Those bots are for dirty poors like me.

E92 M3

From watching the videos they look like satisfying cannon fodder and might make it less frustrating for noobs, which is going to be especially important given that the game has kind of added another entire axis to think about in terms of maneuvering. I suspect that people who get to be good at this are going to be REALLY good.

Those bots are for dirty poors like me.

Yes, I see the skill differential between bad and good players being similar to the Halo spectrum.

farisr

Would've been a day 1 buy with an Xbox One purchase if it had splitscreen. Oh well.

Also, those burn cards strangely give me a nostalgic feeling. I have no idea why.

McLovin

I never knew that titanfall didn't have any kind of destruction. It makes sense for the buildings but those trees just look silly taking all that damage.

Nerokis

The bots are a sticking point for me too. I want to fight real players only, not get distracted by dumb AI bots. That's the only thing I've seen that I don't like so far.

I'm a bit conflicted there, as well. Taking on relatively dumb bots is not particularly satisfying, and killing a continuous stream of them could potentially lessen the impact of taking out actual players. On the other hand, though, they could minimize some of the more frustrating/less fun elements of these games, such as those moments you end up spending a long stretch of time not seeing anyone. They could be just threatening enough as to meaningfully contribute to a sense of chaos that has you constantly immersed and paying attention to your surroundings. They're a low hanging fruit for less skilled players, and for those skilled enough to easily distinguish between bots and real people, killing them is a quick way to reduce the time until your next Titan is ready.

So I can see a potential place for them, but yeah, we'll have to see how it all feels in practice. I do like that the bots interact with the surroundings, though, instead of just doing a poor job trying to shoot you. I think that's a pretty creative way to implement the whole concept.

Victrix

*beard*
People here and elsewhere talking about the Titanfall bots really seem to underestimate just how many average or bad players there are out there. Not just in CoD, but in any multiplayer game really. It's a major reason why team based competitive or outright cooperative games are so popular, and also a major reason why people rage at CoD specifically so hard. Going 5-20 repeatedly is not fun.

Many of the design decisions in Titanfall seem aimed squarely at that problem - you could argue that a side effect of these decisions is 'dumbing the game down' or 'lowering the skill required' or other such hyperbole, but given the level of player movement possible in the game, I'm pretty sure it's just been shifted from one place to another.

Giving everyone access to Titans lets everyone feel awesome in every match. Not everyone could call in an AC-130 in CoD, not everyone can do 25 gun kills and nuke the map. Good players will use Titans more effectively. Good players will evade and defeat Titans more effectively.

Having ai fodder lets everyone get some kills and feel awesome in every match. Good players will milk bots to lower their Titan cooldown or to speed the win in Attrition (indeed, there's a piece of Kit specifically for this purpose). Good players won't be as satisfied fighting bots, but I think that's an acceptable tradeoff to help the guys who do go 5-20 in CoD and have a shitty time.

Even burn cards are a part of that. From the newbies perspective they're 'getting' something from dying, a reward of sorts, rather than being punished for sucking by ending what in CoD was their killstreak. From the veterans perspective it lets them get back into the fight just a bit more dangerous than they were before, and again, good players will take greater advantage of these than newbies will.

As far as skill cap goes - the parkour alone will separate players by their skill levels immensely. You will see new players barely taking advantage of the 3d movement, while veterans will traverse levels incredibly quickly, evade unfavorable combat rapidly, and generally be a royal pain in the ass to hit when they're moving.

There's other stuff too. Damage core for the Titan. Two shot snipers unless they're headshots. An auto-locking pistol that kills slower than a manually aimed weapon if the user is accurate. Effective use of the auto-titan. Rodeo riding both enemy and friendly Titans. A very aggressively accurate minimap.

When I watch Titanfall footage, it's so incredibly obvious that Respawn is carefully focusing on tuning so many elements from CoD that frustrated players, while still leaving room for skilled players to shine. Complaining about the bots is a bit like complaining about the creeps in a competitive dota match.

And as a ranty aside, I'm not sure where the fuck the internet hateon for TF stems from, but I'm getting really fucking sick of reading whining about 6v6, bots, the number of ps in the resolution, or how the game is CoD with mechs (as though that's somehow a bad thing, even if it were entirely true). It's bad enough that I'm avoiding most TF threads even though I'd like to talk about some of the more interesting gameplay elements that have been shown, or just cool shit in general (did you know you can use the auto-pistol to lock on to thrown grenades and detonate them midair?).

Top Bottom