• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Gameplay Footage (Embargo Lifted)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Based on what I read, it seemed like Respawn is trying to make it fun for everyone, while still keeping skill important.

Can't wait for all the CoD kids to not understand that you have actual magazines and not just bullets. See ya you every 3 shot reloaders.

HariKari

^ So they're trying their damnedest to hit the lowest common denominator.

What gave you that idea? Was it the aim assist on PC or the smart pistol that aims for you as long as you point it in the general direction of the enemy? I thought people had to earn Titans but apparently everyone gets one on a timer, and doing well decreases that timer.

Nerokis

Huh. I didn't know this. That's actually pretty cool.

We're not actually 100% sure that's the case, though, are we? Do we have confirmation one way or the other? It looks like your ammo resets after you reload, but does your extra ammo actually disappear?

^ So they're trying their damnedest to hit the lowest common denominator.
Nurturing new players while also fostering a wide skill gap for the best players seems like the very wisest of game design goals.

If they can manage to keep the game fun for newcomers, lower skill players AND the ultra competitive alike they'll have accomplished something that just about everybody else out there has failed to do.

You're on a roll with these interpretations! :p

Which of those quotes are wrong or incorrect? I heard them say 3-4 times that it's call of duty and I thought that was funny. And they want as many players as possible to enjoy themselves, even if they're bad. Sounds like they would have to hit the lowest common denominator to make everyone enjoy themselves.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm a bit conflicted there, as well. Taking on relatively dumb bots is not particularly satisfying, and killing a continuous stream of them could potentially lessen the impact of taking out actual players. On the other hand, though, they could minimize some of the more frustrating/less fun elements of these games, such as those moments you end up spending a long stretch of time not seeing anyone. They could be just threatening enough as to meaningfully contribute to a sense of chaos that has you constantly immersed and paying attention to your surroundings. They're a low hanging fruit for less skilled players, and for those skilled enough to easily distinguish between bots and real people, killing them is a quick way to reduce the time until your next Titan is ready.

So I can see a potential place for them, but yeah, we'll have to see how it all feels in practice. I do like that the bots interact with the surroundings, though, instead of just doing a poor job trying to shoot you. I think that's a pretty creative way to implement the whole concept.

My big issue with them is that while you're trying to kill them you may miss a human enemy that can get the drop on you or figure out where you are on the minimap due to your firing. I've seen a lot of gameplay vids where the player is killing an AI bot and gets build sided by a human player that was alerted to their presence. Seems super annoying to me, you save a few seconds on your Titanfall clock but get killed due to some dumb AI bot. Great.

E92 M3

Can't wait for all the CoD kids to not understand that you have actual magazines and not just bullets. See ya you every 3 shot reloaders.

COD players will be in for a serious awakening when they try to play Titanfall like it.

Nurturing new players while also fostering a wide skill gap for the best players seems like the very wisest of game design goals.

If they can manage to keep the game fun for newcomers, lower skill players AND the ultra competitive alike they'll have accomplished something that just about everybody else out there has failed to do.

Exactly. Halo was fun for new players to mess around with; while also being really good for competition. Absolutely nothing wrong when game designers create a piece of entertainment that can satisfy a wide array of people.

If this ends up the case, I bet they end up changing it because of the outcry. Even in Battlefield the whining was incessant until they fixed the "bug" where it impacted everyone not just hardcore servers.

def sim

We're not actually 100% sure that's the case, though, are we? Do we have confirmation one way or the other? It looks like your ammo resets after you reload, but does your extra ammo actually disappear?

I don't know, I was taking racer's word for it.

Fine by me, I know is hip to hate it nowadays but Call of Duty is fun. You don't get those sale numbers with a boring game.

You should watch the video. They point out what differentiates it from CoD and isn't much like what Freddie says.

Edit: Rereading his posts, I see that he is just laughing at the fact that they said or mentioned CoD a number of times.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
COD players will be in for a serious awakening when they try to play Titanfall like it.

Like what? An FPS where you run and gun? Sure Titanfall has vertical traversal and mechs, but I fail to see how it is widely different than games like CoD. Not saying TF is a bad game, just that it is very similar to CoD.

farisr

Jeff (GB) said that's the case. They're treated like proper magazines, an oddly sim-like aspect in this otherwise arcadey game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The ammo is literally shown as a picture of a magazine x number. So it'll say 10, then if you shoot one bullet and reload it goes to 9 so it definitely is acting like you ditch the rest.

jet1911

Like what? An FPS where you run and gun? Sure Titanfall has vertical traversal and mechs, but I fail to see how it is widely different than games like CoD. Not saying TF is a bad game, just that it is very similar to CoD.

If you stay on the ground skilled player who use the traversal mechanics correctly will dominate you.

E92 M3

It has similarities, but the mechanics, strategies, and flow of combat is completely different.

Etnos

Banned
I don't know, I was taking racer's word for it.

You should watch the video. They point out what differentiates it from CoD and isn't much like what Freddie says.

Edit: Rereading his posts, I see that he is just laughing at the fact that they said or mentioned CoD a number of times.

I'm aware I was just pointing out the hyperbole. It is not Call of Duty that is blatantly obvious. but it does keep some of the best traits of a Call of Duty game.

Don't fix what ain't broke, IMHO Call of Duty has the best gunplay around, if they can build over that and get a fresh experience... like why wouldn't you?

HariKari

Jeff (GB) said that's the case. They're treated like proper magazines, an oddly sim-like aspect in this otherwise arcadey game.

Does it really matter when the guns all reload as fast as they do? Don't think it will be a big issue for most.

Nerokis

Which of those quotes are wrong or incorrect? I heard them say 3-4 times that it's call of duty and I thought that was funny. And they want as many players as possible to enjoy themselves, even if they're bad. Sounds like they would have to hit the lowest common denominator to make everyone enjoy themselves.

I highly doubt you would have found the comparisons to CoD quite as amusing if you had kept them fully in context, and in the same way, summing up that entire post by saying "so they're going for the lowest common denominator" ignores, for example, the whole leaving room for skilled players to shine thing. Just strikes me as very...imprecise/selective/negative.

That's the last I'll say on this, though. This is only my own interpretation, and I barely know you, after all. ;)

My big issue with them is that while you're trying to kill them you may miss a human enemy that can get the drop on you or figure out where you are on the minimap due to your firing. I've seen a lot of gameplay vids where the player is killing an AI bot and gets build sided by a human player that was alerted to their presence. Seems super annoying to me, you save a few seconds on your Titanfall clock but get killed due to some dumb AI bot. Great.

Hmm, that's a good point. I can see some people finding the bots a hindrance to the "real game", so to speak.

On the flip side, though, that also does two other things: highlights the need for situational awareness, and makes it more difficult for people to hide somewhere and camp.

Victrix

*beard*
The bots also directly reward aggressive play

They don't necessarily discourage camping entirely, but aggro players will get more titans on the field over the course of a match (ignoring attrition contribution, thinking of other game modes)

statham

I just want to give Abbie mush respect, Just listened to a couple of her interviews and she is open, knows most of her stuff and very likable. If she doesn't know something, she doesn't give you fluff, but just straight up says she doesn't know. and you can tell she plays this game daily. Respawn did good in getting her.

Bad7667

I'm not sure how I feel about the bots in the game. It makes it seem coming across real players is few and far between. I like knowing in BF or COD that every player I come across is real.

Just seems really weird in a multiplayer game to have some of the worst AI I have seen.

Hopefully I am wrong and get a chance to play it before the release date.

I dunno if its Twitch acting up or XB1's streaming capabilities, but man these streams look like CRAP. All glitchy and pixelated.

EDIT:

It was Twitch.

Wizman23

Banned
The ammo stuff doesn't matter (reloading when 80% of the clip remains). I played the Alpha a ton and got pretty good at the game and not once did my soldier/ Titan ever get close to running out of ammo even after staying alive for a long time.

nicanica

Its twitch.
It looks garbled as fuck because the max bitrate limit they put on it is probably making it look shitty.

The beta looks gorgeous on my screen, but you're right I have no idea why its ending up looking like that. Ill run a couple of bitrate tests before I go live with mine

Portugeezer

Well, beyond the usual fanboy stuff, there are a lot of weird design decisions with this game. Completely locking down the source engine and taking out stuff like demos on PC? No server browser or private servers? Not going to announce how many maps there are?

That I don't understand. I watched an Abbie interview with Jackfrags, and she just said they want people do discover things about the game... I don't see what a hard number for maps has anything to do with that, that is working out value not discovering things about the game. I'm guessing there will be 6 maps, 8 if we're lucky.

For those that have played the beta, how often do you get killed by the infantry AI? They seem duuuuuuuumb. It'll definitely bring the casuals out to play, but couldn't they have made them just a little more fun to play against?

Sorry if this has been asked (a million times) already, haven't gone through the thread yet.

Smidget

Been seeing all this footage and streams... Did invites go out to the masses from that sign up yesterday or is this something else right now?

antitrop

I just want to give Abbie mush respect, Just listened to a couple of her interviews and she is open, knows most of her stuff and very likable. If she doesn't know something, she doesn't give you fluff, but just straight up says she doesn't know. and you can tell she plays this game daily. Respawn did good in getting her.

She was great on G4, during her short time with Sessler and X-Play over there. She co-hosted Sessler's podcast and wrote some good reviews (one of the most accurate Other M reviews at launch).

Why do people pretend like they haven't been given beta solely on their ability to stream or use social media heavily?

"I got it from a friend!" Okay then.

On the topic of the game it's not for me - it's not my style but it's kind of neat to watch and I hope I get an invite to give away.

Nuke Soda

She was great on G4, during her short time with Sessler and X-Play over there. She co-hosted Sessler's podcast and wrote some good reviews (one of the most accurate Other M reviews at launch).

Really liked her coverage of L4D2 and that Other M review was pretty brutal.

E92 M3

The ammo stuff doesn't matter (reloading when 80% of the clip remains). I played the Alpha a ton and got pretty good at the game and not once did my soldier/ Titan ever get close to running out of ammo even after staying alive for a long time.

When a Titan drops it also comes with ammo packs for your gun. And that makes perfect sense.

legacyzero

Banned
Gotta top that Robert Bowling :p

Yeah, will second that I liked what she did over at G4.

On topic, this game looks like so much fun. Really excited for this.

Ecto311

Goddamn this looks good, I might have to take off the week for this game. Too bad there is no mid tier limited edition just the big ass toy one.

Calen

For those that have played the beta, how often do you get killed by the infantry AI? They seem duuuuuuuumb. It'll definitely bring the casuals out to play, but couldn't they have made them just a little more fun to play against?

Sorry if this has been asked (a million times) already, haven't gone through the thread yet.
I think this says more about my ability than that of the grunts, but I sure do seem to get meleed by Specters a lot.

Top Bottom