• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Gameplay Footage (Embargo Lifted)

Bsigg12

The CoD crowd is going to love this game. Except for the ones that like to camp and pad their K/D ratio.

Pretty much. There's one spot on Fracture you can camp with the Marksman rifle and cloak but it barely nets you any kills because of a giant ass billboard.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I imagine on domination you need to do at least some level of camping to play the objective correctly. There doesn't seem to be any mines you can lay down and there's no airborne killstreaks, so you will have to patrol the general area.

ElRenoRaven

So just got around to watching those after getting home from work and dear god. I just have to say GIVE ME NOW!!!!

I see many many hours being lost to this game.

sflufan

Banned
Respawn can deny it until the cows come home, but from what I've seen on the jackfrags PC stream, this game is completely and totally designed for e-sports competition.

The bot AI is so bad. It's actually embarrassingly bad. They gave them Storm Trooper level shooting skills.

From all the alpha footage I have seen and stuff today I agree, they stand still too much and should really pack a little more firepower, they seem to just be free xp more then getting in your way.

Respawn can deny it until the cows come home, but from what I've seen on the jackfrags PC stream, this game is completely and totally designed for e-sports competition.
The game definitely has a large skill gap.
But apparently there is no LAN, private matches, or ranked playlists so it's going to be awfully difficult to arrange any competition.

These burning cards need to be forbidden though. Or every clan needs its designated card farmers that keep the supply rolling in :D

Cards don't seem like that big of a deal tbh.

jgf

These burning cards need to be forbidden though. Or every clan needs its designated card farmers that keep the supply rolling in :D

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
This is one of the first times I can ever remember of a "new" developer having that fantastic reputation based solely on a few key team members really pre-hyping and helping sell the idea of a game.

Their track record + the speed and fluid movement + COD quick kill feel of the guns = money.

No PC to run this bad boy so I'll have to wait for a sequel but I don't know how anyone could say this game isn't going to sell gangbusters.

akira28

The bot AI is so bad. It's actually embarrassingly bad. They gave them Storm Trooper level shooting skills.

I'm watching the player stand there next to an AI bot, who is shooting him point blank, and he ignores it to shoot at the Titan in the distance, with his machine gun, and he wins. He never kills the AI, and the AI just casually hits him with burst fire, to no effect...

Also why can't the damn Titans smash the enemies like a bug when they crawl on their heads?

sflufan

Banned
I'm watching the player stand there next to an AI bot, who is shooting him point blank, and he ignores it to shoot at the Titan in the distance, with his machine gun, and he wins. He never kills the AI, and the AI just casually hits him with burst fire, to no effect...

jackfrags said that the bots do "fuck all" damage.

The bots are there to be farmed - pure and simple. Just like in a MOBA.

This is one of the first times I can ever remember of a "new" developer having that fantastic reputation based solely on a few key team members really pre-hyping and helping sell the idea of a game.

Their track record + the speed and fluid movement + COD quick kill feel of the guns = money.

No PC to run this bad boy so I'll have to wait for a sequel but I don't know how anyone could say this game isn't going to sell gangbusters.
I dunno I'm not sure it'll sell gangbusters man...it looks very similar to cod without the military themes. I think a lot of people overlook how that's such a strong factor in cod and bf popularity and even socom before it. I think it'll sell very well, I'm having a hard time believing it'll be the next big franchise, especially because graphically it leaves a lot to be desired, and contrast to people on forums, there aren't THAT many ppl tired of cod, what many would call the worse in the series sold a lot of units, and it isn't like the team is gonna rest on there laurels, it's now a three team studio, meaning new ideas are gonna be tried with the series. I'm rooting for Titan fall to be something though, it looks far more interesting than cod. The lack of sp and x1/PC exclusive keeps me out for now, but I'd try it out if it supports more platforms down the road. Not convinced after seeing the gameplay it'll live up to the hype tho, but heck 50 million ppl downloaded flappy bird, so my taste is not inline with a lot of ppl....

Thrillers

Banned
I am truly confused by the hype surrounding this game. At the beginning of this gen I had a choice Ps4 or XB1 and chose the PS4 for really well known reasons. Is it because I'm not a child or is this really worth and deserving of they hype surrounding it. I'm not ignorant, but looking at this this is what I see...

. It a multiplayer add on?
. It will not run in a native 1080p but is a AAA title?
. It's a point and shoot/cod,
. physics engine is lacking, Non dynamic environment, Like cod everything looks as though it's made from plastic
. 6v6? Seriously 6v6 with bots
. bots to fill out the map (I know i made the point above but yeah, bots.)

The most hilarious thing is that I believe they plan on charging you full price or so I've heard on other forums? Hype needs to be justified.

Bsigg12

I am truly confused by the hype surrounding this game. At the beginning of this gen I had a choice Ps4 or XB1 and chose the PS4 for really well known reasons. Is it because I'm not a child or is this really worth and deserving of they hype surrounding it. I'm not ignorant, but looking at this this is what I see...

. physics engine is lacking, Non dynamic environment, Like cod everything looks as though it's made from plastic

The most hilarious thing is that I believe they plan on charging you full price or so I've heard on other forums? Hype needs to be justified.

If you like multiplayer games, play it, you'll enjoy it. If not, Second Son will be out shortly after and you can enjoy that and forget Titanfall exists.

I hear that some people like games that are fun. Coincidentally, lots of people feel like it is a lot of fun.

And what is full price anyway? Lots of games have $200 collectors editions. This one will be $60 and if it's fun, you'll have hours of entertainment.

Thrillers

Banned
If you like multiplayer games, play it, you'll enjoy it. If not, Second Son will be out shortly after and you can enjoy that and forget Titanfall exists.

I do! And I love love them. I played Ghosts until I saw a match full of superman glitchers and put it on ebay. I also fell in love with BF4, yes it has it's problems but I've been playing it for months and I'm still amazed...

But you didn't answer my question. I was asking you to explain the hype not a direction to play the game.

Kade

I'm not ignorant, but looking at this this is what I see...

Hard to tell. There's a lot of information about this game out now so I recommend doing a bit of research on the official website and various threads here.

Serious question.

If you think the game is garbage, (and presumably you have no in interest in buying it from the body of your post) why are you here acting like this?

Why even bother commenting on it?

You are projecting a condescending attitude towards people who might be into it and I'm not sure why.

Nerokis

I am truly confused by the hype surrounding this game. At the beginning of this gen I had a choice Ps4 or XB1 and chose the PS4 for really well known reasons. Is it because I'm not a child or is this really worth and deserving of they hype surrounding it.

I'm confused by these two lines. Not seeing how your console of choice or your age has anything to do with the rest of your post.

Joco

I've said it before, and my mind hasn't changed. I'm just not seeing what justifies the hype. Maybe it's having played every COD since COD4 and I'm getting sick of the formula, but it still is WAY too reminiscent of COD for my liking. The wall-running is definitely an interesting concept but it also cranks the pace of the game way up, which while some people will surely like is too fast for my liking - COD was fast paced enough as it was, and this looks even faster.

And then there's the AI. Comparing this game to a MOBA and saying that the bots are essentially "creeps" and meant to be cannon fodder doesn't change the fact that in most of the videos shown so far, enemies who aren't players will often blankly stare at you for a couple seconds, easily enough time for them to be taken out. The problem is, it's too easy. If Respawn wanted people to feel like part of a larger experience they should have upped the player count, not added in more bots.

Maybe I've just become too cynical but after playing numerous shooters last generation, but I'm not seeing anything here different enough to be worth the time.

Bsigg12

I do! And I love love them. I played Ghosts until I saw a match full of superman glitchers and put it on ebay. I also fell in love with BF4, yes it has it's problems but I've been playing it for months and I'm still amazed...

But you didn't answer my question. I was asking you to explain the hype not a direction to play the game.

Play it. Then you'll understand. Videos really don't do this game justice. It's not a looker but the mechanics and gunplay are nailed. We still don't know very much about the game and it comes out in 27 days. If you get a chance to play in the beta, set aside an hour or two because you'll get hooked since you like shooters.

Honey Bunny

Also why can't the damn Titans smash the enemies like a bug when they crawl on their heads?

Have we seen a video in which a bot kills a player?

Dosia

Wonder how this game would play having to earn your titan and not get free kills from those dumb as shit grunts? It seems in the vids i see like 4+ grunts continuously run up on the player and they don't even shoot a weapon.

Im about 95% sure most of the hype from this game comes from it being exclusive. I will check it out on pc, as i bought a ps4 as well. Not expecting much, but really any time a game is exclusive just ignore most of the praise because its hyped up because its exclusive.

iceatcs

This game by former real COD team. Modem Warfare is still extremely popular.

It is like COD on crack.

Bsigg12

Im about 95% sure most of the hype from this game comes from it being exclusive. I will check it out on pc, as i bought a ps4 as well. Not expecting much, but really any time a game is exclusive just ignore most of the praise because its hyped up because its exclusive.

That literally has nothing to do with it. There wouldn't be universal praise from everyone who has played it if that was the case. The game is well made and fun to play. Had it been Sony exclusive the hype would be just as high if not higher here. It's just a outright fun game to play.

Thrillers

Banned
I've said it before, and my mind hasn't changed. I'm just not seeing what justifies the hype. Maybe it's having played every COD since COD4 and I'm getting sick of the formula, but it still is WAY too reminiscent of COD for my liking. The wall-running is definitely an interesting concept but it also cranks the pace of the game way up, which while some people will surely like is too fast for my liking - COD was fast paced enough as it was, and this looks even faster.

And then there's the AI. Comparing this game to a MOBA and saying that the bots are essentially "creeps" and meant to be cannon fodder doesn't change the fact that in most of the videos shown so far, enemies who aren't players will often blankly stare at you for a couple seconds, easily enough time for them to be taken out. The problem is, it's too easy. If Respawn wanted people to feel like part of a larger experience they should have upped the player count, not added in more bots.

Maybe I've just become too cynical but after playing numerous shooters last generation, but I'm not seeing anything here different enough to be worth the time.

preach.jpg

Bots to make the experience more epic = one hell of a crusty engine

statham

Maybe with all that, the game is just fun to play

Naw, the hype I see is coming from people that have played it, evangelizing it and from Respawn's pedigree in making FPS games.

That is why I am excited.

I don't think exclusivity has anything to do with it, as it's available on 3 skus.

It's a game from the folks that brought us deathstreaks, not sure with I thought this would be a balanced competitive title... I need to stop getting hyped for game like this.

Cru

Sorry but this is one bad post.

Tabris

I really want to know what the ranking / match making features are for this game as this game looked very twitch heavy FPS and well I'm not great at those.

So combine that + no campaign mode, and I have no clue how I learn / get better outside the simple tutorial, before having to play people that will kill me all the time.

jet1911

Hey guys, guys! Please explain to me why is all the hype hyped for this game so I can dismiss everything you're telling me. Please guys!

Wonder how this game would play having to earn your titan and not get free kills from those dumb as shit grunts? It seems in the vids i see like 4+ grunts continuously run up on the player and they don't even shoot a weapon.

I saw maximillian getting killed by a Spectre.

Bsigg12

The concept of escape after losing a round sounds pretty awesome.

The worst is when you're trying to make it to the evacuation ship and the doors close right before you get there and suddenly you're surrounded Lone Wolf style for 5 seconds before the match ends.

The concept of escape after losing a round sounds pretty awesome.

Speaking of escape, I started marking the fack out in the one video, (I forget which one) where the player was in a Titan, realizes someone is on top, trying to destroy it...jumps out the suit, turns and fires on his own Titan and kills the guy up top, detonating his own mech.

HOLE
LEE
SHIET

Like what? An FPS where you run and gun? Sure Titanfall has vertical traversal and mechs, but I fail to see how it is widely different than games like CoD. Not saying TF is a bad game, just that it is very similar to CoD.

I totally agree and as I posted earlier my hype for the game is getting less and less the more I see it cause it's looking to me more and more like a COD game. And I'm not saying it's a bad game either but I'm just tired of COD type games. There's so many different ways you can make a shooter

Top Bottom