• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today is National Love Your Red Hair Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that a lot of guys grow red beards or at least partially red beards when the rest of their hair is a different color. I wonder what the scientific explanation for that is. My beard actually has some brown and black in it but its mostly red to match my hair.
As I get older the red in my hair is starting to turn brownish. It is still obviously red, but when I was getting a haircut and beard trim I was shocked when I saw the difference in the color of red when head hair and beard hair were sitting on my lap.

trillbo

I find it interesting that a lot of guys grow red beards or at least partially red beards when the rest of their hair is a different color. I wonder what the scientific explanation for that is. My beard actually has some brown and black in it but its mostly red to match my hair.

My hair is red and my beard is a different shade of red. I actually really like the two tone look of it!

KevinCow

Banned
I like my red hair. It's the only thing about my physical appearance that I like. The hair on my head is like a reddish blond color, while the hair in my beard is a much stronger red.

Unfortunately, nobody else seems to appreciate my red hair like I do. Especially not girls. :(

FuuRe

Simone_Simons.jpg

tumblr_lx4gg6Ftww1qb9h9jo1_400.gif

Redheads are the best of the best

I had a redhead gf in HS and for sure it was the most beautiful thing on earth that has honored me with her kisses and hugs.

Afterwards she dumped me since she was going to college next year, she was a year older than me.

14 years have passed.

I sittl remember that day, i cried a lot, like a part of me was gone forever.

She consoled me a lot that day, she never played the asshole and left me, she stayed with me all the time until i could hold myself up.

I still remember that fucking day

Redheads are still the best though

omg ;_;

I like my red hair. It's the only thing about my physical appearance that I like. The hair on my head is like a reddish blond color, while the hair in my beard is a much stronger red.

Unfortunately, nobody else seems to appreciate my red hair like I do. Especially not girls. :(

I'm assuming something like this?

720x405-RAW_1145_Photo_176-1199725558.jpg

I'm blonde myself but the longer my bread gets the more ginger it goes.

To be honest, nowhere is it anywhere close to how it is in the UK. Growing up there, even as a tall, strong kid on the rugby team, meant you were mocked and abused endlessly from all directions.

If there is a god, he hates me. Grew up ginger, started going bald at eighteen and now what's left is going grey.

I wonder if things will change with Prince Harry in all his ginger glory. Things have gotten worse here in the US since a particular South Park episode made fun of gingers pretty hardcore.

Pila

Lol, hair. It's 2015 and you guys still have hair. I'm way too cool for hair amirite?! ( ._.)

(My beard is kinda ginger, redheads are the hottest thing on the planet)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I wonder if things will change with Prince Harry in all his ginger glory. Things have gotten worse here in the US since a particular South Park episode made fun of gingers pretty hardcore.

I never felt like the South Park ginger episodes really made anything worse, though I was just starting college at that point. So it might have been worse for younger kids. For me it just made it so instead of getting a random insult you just got the same one about no soul. By that time though direct insults didn't matter much any more and didn't happen all that often, the overall shittiness though that is being a redhead was always there and still there, and the other ways it manifested itself hurt far more.

For me at least the direct attacks were never as big an issue as the constant everyday slights that came from people not directly looking to insult me, yet were nonetheless. The never ending stream of comments about my hair or pale skin, even in the most benign ways, the lingering stares from people on the street and in public places, the othering effect it has on you is what really sucks and never really goes away.

I never felt like the South Park ginger episodes really made anything worse, though I was just starting college at that point. So it might have been worse for younger kids. For me it just made it so instead of getting a random insult you just got the same one about no soul. By that time though direct insults didn't matter much any more and didn't happen all that often, the overall shittiness though that is being a redhead was always there and still there, and the other ways it manifested itself hurt far more.

For me at least the direct attacks were never as big an issue as the constant everyday slights that came from people not directly looking to insult me, yet were nonetheless. The never ending stream of comments about my hair or pale skin, even in the most benign ways, the lingering stares from people on the street and in public places, the othering effect it has on you is what really sucks and never really goes away.
With all the internet outrage about micro aggression people still openly insult red heads all the time. I'm not saying our plight is comparable to blacks or other minority groups but there appears to be no filter at all about insulting us on the regular.

trillbo

With all the internet outrage about micro aggression people still openly insult red heads all the time. I'm not saying our plight is comparable to blacks or other minority groups but there appears to be no filter at all about insulting us on the regular.

Totally agree that while it's clearly not on the same level as blacks or some other minorities, there is a definite discrimination against people with red hair that other people seem to not notice or think it's okay. The no soul thing is the lowest possible effort though, and I actually feel sorry for people who use it thinking they're funny or witty.

Most slurs towards gingers are so low effort that they are trivial (for me at least) to either ignore or come back with sick burn
pun intended

Tacitus_

Everyone loves the ladies. Us guys with red hair otoh... at least I don't think finland has the ginger-bullying found elsewhere.

I got grief as a ginger kid but I've learned to love my hair. Helps that it's a lot darker than it used to be. Guys probably got it way worse though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Vince Vaughn's redhead wife on True Detective was really gorgeous. I see she's British, too.

People constantly asked us if we dyed my sisters hair when she was a baby and now that shes an adult people ask her the same question. She has a very weird shade of red.

People constantly asked us if we dyed my sisters hair when she was a baby and now that shes an adult people ask her the same question. She has a very weird shade of red.

I've been asked if I dye mine quite a lot, though I don't think there is anything weird about my shade.

Camwi

You're in luck, OP. The redhead gene is recessive, so chances are your baby won't have red hair.

My baby girl has read hair, btw. She's adorable.

EDIT - Nevermind, this thread has gotten too creepy.

Samara

Strawberry blonde, auburn, caramel: I'm all jealous of them. Especially children. Ugh, those perfect sparkling color.

Red hair is usually the result of a mutation in a gene called MC1R, also known as a melanocortin 1 receptor. Normally, when activated by a certain hormone, MC1R sparks a series of signals that leads to the production of brown or black pigment. Yet, in cases when both parents are carriers of the recessive MC1R gene and said receptor is mutated or antagonized, it fails to turn hair darker, resulting instead in a beautifully fiery buildup of red pigment.

As previously estimated by BBC News, between one and two percent of the world's population -- or 70 to 140 million people -- are redheads. In Scotland and Ireland, around 35 percent of the population carry the recessive gene that yields crimson locks, and the redhead count is around 10 percent. As such, the word ginger often calls to mind visions of Celtic-Germanic attributes -- namely, pale, white skin.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/photographs-redheads-of-color_55db9929e4b0a40aa3abf017

XBP

Redhead girls are absolutely gorgeous. The few pictures posted in this thread should be enough to prove that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom