• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
0u5H9Ym.png

Was wondering if BWGenesis would use Tridoron...guess they worked it out?
I'm a little worried the ghost mascot guy will remind me too much of Mandora Boy from Magiranger. Otherwise looks great.

Ghost Mascot Girl.

Voiced by Madoka.

TokuGAF 2016| Escape From Butcher Bay

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kamen Rider Drive Finale

While last week was the actual finale, this was a nice bit of closure that doubled as an introduction for Kamen Rider Ghost. Certainly wasn't pointless fluff like the Wizard "finale"
Shinnosuke's speech at the end was great, showing how much he's grown since the beginning. A shame it will go to waste when the Movie War comes out and he HAS to become Drive since that's the rule.
It was also nice to hear Peppler say "Start Your Engine" in perfect English. No forced accent (I have no idea why Toei does this, Peppler can speak perfect English, same with Robert Baldwin)

I look forward to Ghost. I know Orange-Lion said they'll do the subs and they've been pretty good (I'm waiting until they finish Den-O to watch that, but their Super Hero Taisen GP subs felt just right). Any word on Over-Time?

Maybe Crunchyroll will have a surprise announcement? ... Stop dreaming.

alvmew

sigh...I'm really wanting to get into Sentai but I just struggle everytime. I have a request tokugaf.

Please post the best fight scenes from any and all sentai you can think of. Gifs, video links, whatever...I struggle with this compared to tokusatsu stuff like Kamen Rider, but I need something to get me over the hump. Try and hit me with any cool actiony sequences you can. Help get me motivated on this while I have the time to take it on.

Would post video if I wasn't on mobile, but have you given Go-busters a shot? Sounds like it'll be up your alley.

Faiz

Ghost Mascot Girl.

Voiced by Madoka.

In the brief scene it's coming off to me like the typical shrill male voice of a small character intended to sound silly. Like Mandora Boy which was also voiced by a girl...

May end up being a girl but you can't call it based on the voice actor.

Tiu Neo

So we're getting yet another crossover (next month?) with the Ninningers teaming up with
Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya

I wouldn't be surprised if the winter VS movie at this point is "Ninninger VS Every Damn Ninja on Planet Earth (guest-starring the ToQgers)".

Jiraiya coming back
? My life is complete now. My brother will love it too, it's his favorite toku.

Even better if the vs. is like that. Bring back Ninja Captor too, while they are at it. Never watched, but eh...

TokuGAF 2015 | Go Ninja Go Ninja Ghost. Ghost Ghost Ghost Ghost

This!

WarRock

Drive Finale
That was a nice way to pass on the torch! Wonder if Ghost will acknowledge that it happens in the same world as Drive?

I'm just disappointed that we never saw Shinnosuke washing his car (or doing similar maintenance) during the show, just in the opening.

Anyway, great season, recommended.

sigh...I'm really wanting to get into Sentai but I just struggle everytime. I have a request tokugaf.

Please post the best fight scenes from any and all sentai you can think of. Gifs, video links, whatever...I struggle with this compared to tokusatsu stuff like Kamen Rider, but I need something to get me over the hump. Try and hit me with any cool actiony sequences you can. Help get me motivated on this while I have the time to take it on.
Dude, anything Gokaiger. Seriously. The fighting is just too good for TV.

TokuGAF 2015 | Go Ninja Go Ninja Ghost. Ghost Ghost Ghost Ghost
ooooh

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'd want a Tridoron model kit.

Also eh... some fights in Gokaiger are good for the most part they tend to be dull.

BatDan

Was watching Age of the extinction and kept noticing one chick in the backgroud, it was the pinkranger from Samurai

*checks her IMDB page* Huh, what do you know.

Speaking of, that awful WatchMojo channel did a video on the "Top 10 Hottest Female Power Rangers". It did not go over well.

alvmew

So, the next sentai trademark leaked? https://twitter.com/Rangerboard/status/648530768243879936

Hope it's as good as the other Doubutsu Sentai.

I hope that it IS the other Doubutsu Sentai. With the Not-Vaglass defeated, the Not-Go-Busters went their separate ways, but with a new threat having risen, they have reunited and rebranded to fight evil!

Never in a million years, but I will do anything to get more of the Go-Busters crew.

javadoze

Final Drive

Nothing needs to be said.
CP4BoRbWwAAwIeV.jpg:large

Well, okay. This epilogue was a pretty good sendoff to Drive while having a nice tease for Ghost (who didn't actually hog the spotlight, to my surprise). I appreciate the lack of Krimbelt in this episode since it allowed for more cop-drama bits. Also, the episode had some nice pacing and felt more... natural? (There certainly were some funny bits, but nothing too over-the-top.)

So, the next sentai trademark leaked? https://twitter.com/Rangerboard/status/648530768243879936

Hope it's as good as the other Doubutsu Sentai.
:/

I seriously hope there's more to the next theme than just power animals. (But then again, Bandai's gonna Bandai.)

Tiu Neo

Drat. The 2nd Anniversary season based on animals.

At least last time they were innovative and used pirates.

Well, we still don't know if it's simply animal, or something more. Maybe they'll innovate on that.

But, ehh... Dunno. I hope it at least has a cool monkey mecha that moves like Shinobimaru.

WarRock

Well, okay. This epilogue was a pretty good sendoff to Drive while having a nice tease for Ghost (who didn't actually hog the spotlight, to my surprise). I appreciate the lack of Krimbelt in this episode since it allowed for more cop-drama bits. Also, the episode had some nice pacing and felt more... natural? (There certainly were some funny bits, but nothing too over-the-top.)
The benefits of not being a two-parter.

Since it seems NinNin didn't set the world on fire, it makes sense they'd go back to a super safe theme. If this fails, I expect the next one to try Samurai again.

Nah, the next in line after that would be another real-world-style theme: cops, firemen, etc.

Watch Da Birdie

Can't wait for the Jyuuouger x Ghost crossover...

Ghost sporting a fur jacket would be sweet
maybe that's Darwin?

What do you think the Jyuuou part means? Simply "10 Kings"?

BatDan

I know! Karate Bugmen Sentai!
*gets pelted with bricks*

Actually I wonder. Is KR the reason there's no insect-themed Sentai?

Watch Da Birdie

There will never be an Insect Sentai and there will never be a (central themed) Dinosaur Rider.

Never.

javadoze

It strikes me as weird that the next sentai is just going to be a pure animal theme and not a certain theme + animal submotif/mechs (like Go-Busters and Go-Onger).

Maybe? Well, not that current Kamen Riders are that much insect-themed.

In basic design, they are all insect-themed. They just put so much junk on top of that design that you need to know what to look for to notice.

Ghost's design is (kinda) based off a firefly.

Tiu Neo

There will never be an Insect Sentai and there will never be a (central themed) Dinosaur Rider.

Never.

Or a Kamen Rider Ninja. :(

In basic design, they are all insect-themed. They just put so much junk on top of that design that you need to know what to look for to notice.

Yep. And that's why it would be ok to have an Insect Sentai, heh. Almost nobody would care about the theme if it ran with, say, Drive. Ghost is a bit more insect-like, so maybe it wouldn't be a good fit for that.

EDIT:

It strikes me as weird that the next sentai is just going to be a pure animal theme and not a certain theme + animal submotif/mechs (like Go-Busters and Go-Onger).

Ghost's design is (kinda) based off a firefly.

It's been long since that happened. Maybe Gao? Or maybe we just don't know the secondary theme yet.

And yeah, Ghost is a bit more insect-like than Drive and Gaim, at least.

WillyFive

And yeah, Ghost is a bit more insect-like than Drive and Gaim, at least.

Perhaps, but interestingly enough, Ghost lacking twin antennae (at least in it's main form) makes it less related to the Kamen Rider face design than either Gaim or Drive (the latter which was pretty much straight-up the standard Rider face with added car textures).

Watch Da Birdie

So, I've been practicing drawing a bit more, and did some quick sketches of Gaim and Drive---I haven't drawn in years, but I thought it turned out pretty good I guess...not so much the mechanical part of Drive.

SQMviiS.jpg

Then I wanted to try something more creative so I sketched out a few ideas for Ghost forms from the leaked sounds...

2WNAxWM.jpg

Kamehameha Soul!
I don't imagine Toei has enough restraint, so I went ahead and did what we all know what they're gonna do---have Ghost wear a Hawaiian shirt. It'd be red and yellow, like King Kamehameha's colors. The shoulder pads are shaped like the hat Kamehameha is usually shown wearing, but when I finished drawing this I realize they could also perhaps double as being fruit slices. And of course his light-up head becomes a ukulele, which his horn serving as the neck.

Darwin Soul!
The meeting between birds and dinosaurs! It's evolution! The top part of his light-up head is meant to be wings, while the bottom resemble dinosaur fangs. On his hood, there are white triangles which double as bird feathers AND dinosaur fangs with the back of the hood being a T-Rex. Then he has claws for shoulder pads (dinosaur claws, or bird claws, it'd be ambiguous), wings surrounding his chest, and then the jacket is purple with scaled patterns, with the bottom having feathery fringes like a bird.

Shakespeare Soul!
The face is supposed to be a hand holding up a skull---as in Alas, Poor Yorick, then he's got the classic Victorian frill, a black hood to resemble Shakespeare's hair, book bindings, open-book shoulder pads, and "R" "J" letterman-style jacket. Kind of ended looking like a pirate though...

Tiu Neo

Kamen Rider Drive - Finale

That was... a lot better than I expected! It wrapped up everything nicely, and fit well with the ending.

Making it about Shinnosuke coping with not being a Kamen Rider anymore was a good choice. Making the Rider parts a flashback also makes a lot of sense.

I like how the moster looks, kinda oldschool.Ghost is pretty cool too.

The way they left Tomari and Kiriko's ending for this episode, showing it at the end, was a good choice, too, since this episode is pretty much centered on them both.
So, she is Eiji's mother, after all.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I'd say Gekiranger was pretty much an "animal sentai" even though it also fell under the "martial arts" motif as well. If you wanna get nitty-gritty you could probably include Go-Onger definitely, and even Go-Busters might qualify even discounting the joke OVA.

Gaoranger was pretty okay though. Honestly, the show had nothing unique about it---it's extremely by-the-numbers and I barely remember much of it---but the Animal Mecha were all pretty good looking and I liked the fusions.

WillyFive

Gaoranger was an anniversary season that had people behind it that thought the best way to make a celebration of Sentai was to do every single trope in the book completely straight. Such a chore to watch.

On the other end of the spectrum was Fourze, an anniversary that tried to be as different as possible; and became really interesting. Granted, the talent behind was Fourze seemed to me much more talented than the guys behind Gao, so the opposite could still be really good if handled by the right people.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Ghost looks like the thing the street dancing kids in Gaim should turn into

That was actually a really satisfying ending to Drive. Reminded me of W's ending with
Belt coming back, but this time Sanjo realizes he'll come back in crossovers regardless of it making sense or not and holds off
. Idk the last few episodes of Drive have been good but they really haven't been that much about Tomari, lot of focus was put on Roidmudes, Chase, Banno and Gou while Tomari hit things I guess. None of it interested me that much except for Gou's thing with banno.

BatDan

Maybe for Sentai 2017 they'll finally do something "risky"
Not Go-Bus risky, but different enough. Surely Go-Bus didn't scare them that much right?

I guess now there's a chance that PR 2017 will be animals. I still think Ninnin will be the show adapted.

Top Bottom