• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2015 | Japanese live action superheroes hiding in shadows driving cars

WillyFive

It's pretty intriguing to think what the next PR will be since Bandai now has a choice on which toyline (and therefore season) to adapt. GoBusters vs Kyoryuger was an obvious choice since Go-Bus was flop and Kyoryu was the most successful Sentai since Gao.

However, as I understand it ToQ and Ninnin are both good performers; so which one do they pick?

Tiu Neo

It's pretty intriguing to think what the next PR will be since Bandai now has a choice on which toyline (and therefore season) to adapt. GoBusters vs Kyoryuger was an obvious choice since Go-Bus was flop and Kyoryu was the most successful Sentai since Gao.

However, as I understand it ToQ and Ninnin are both good performers; so which one do they pick?

I think they'll skip ToQ. Ninjas are a much easier sell, imo.

Or maybe they'll pull a Megaforce and use both. That would be weird.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

No more Megaforce-style hybrids. It is possible Lynn could pull it off, but that's way too much of a risk.

shaowebb

Would post video if I wasn't on mobile, but have you given Go-busters a shot? Sounds like it'll be up your alley.

I'll give it a shot. I remember being here and seeing everyone posting "Enter" and they looked like a complete badass for a villain. The villain's make the hero and at least these dudes didn't salsa dance with dinosaurs in the first episode so its going better than my last attempt at Sentai at least...Kyoryuger and me did not get very far.

WillyFive

I'll give it a shot. I remember being here and seeing everyone posting "Enter" and they looked like a complete badass for a villain. The villain's make the hero and at least these dudes didn't salsa dance with dinosaurs in the first episode so its going better than my last attempt at Sentai at least...Kyoryuger and me did not get very far.

That's too bad, I found Kyoryuger to be a better show than Go-Busters.

BatDan

I just learned that this weekend's Power Rangers will be the 800th episode. Impressive.

shaowebb

That's too bad, I found Kyoryuger to be a better show than Go-Busters.

I think what got me was a combination of the enemies being super bizarro over actors and the main hero constantly smiling and yelling about how brave everything was. Im not used to going ham that hard after Kamen Rider. They made Chief from W look positively tame in personality by comparison and we all know how I feel about that character
booooooo hiss

vareon

I think what got me was a combination of the enemies being super bizarro over actors and the main hero constantly smiling and yelling about how brave everything was. Im not used to going ham that hard after Kamen Rider. They made Chief from W look positively tame in personality by comparison and we all know how I feel about that character
booooooo hiss

Go-Busters is the sentai for those who don't like the generally ridiculous tone of sentai. They tamed pretty much everything, from antics to having realistic mechs.

It didn't do well on toy sales and Toei thought the series was too bleak considering Japan post-earthquake at that time, that's why Kyoryuger was on the other extreme end of ridiculousness.

WarRock

Well, the current Ninja Sentai basically has animal mechs at the start... Maybe an actual Animal Sentai can do something else with the motif.

Perhaps, but interestingly enough, Ghost lacking twin antennae (at least in it's main form) makes it less related to the Kamen Rider face design than either Gaim or Drive (the latter which was pretty much straight-up the standard Rider face with added car textures).
I do wonder if Ghost having a single horn/antennae is a nod the triangle headband (no idea about its name) that the dead wear in Japan, since Spectre has two.

Ghost looks rather close to this firefly with an orange head. Although like you say there, no antennas.

http://i3.sinaimg.cn/IT/2009/1222/20091222506.jpg
Pretty sure that's the case, since fireflies glow in the dark and the hoodie seems so inspired by the bug's wings.

Was Ghost just gonna stand back and let Kiriko possibly die though?
It felt like one of those "it's his moment" situations. Also seemed like they really thought Shin was still able to transform himself.

javadoze

Calling it right now: since Kamen Rider OOO was animal-themed and had medals, Jyuuouger's widgets will be animal-themed credit cards.
Bandai needs to get the money somehow.

Was Ghost just gonna stand back and let Kiriko possibly die though?

It felt like one of those "it's his moment" situations. Also seemed like they really thought Shin was still able to transform himself.

It'd be funny if Shinnsuke was actually a terrible shot and Ghost helped by magically curving the bullet (though of course that would rail against the epilogue's moral of "you don't need to be a rider to fight evil" thing).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So we're getting yet another crossover (next month?) with the Ninningers teaming up with
Sekai Ninja Sen Jiraiya

*tire screech sound* WHAT?!

I've been saying this from day one, doubting it would happen with every fiber of my being.

Well, I guess
he did show up in the Metal Hero special arc of that-movie-i-already-forgot-which-one-was-it
I really did love Jiraiya when it was broadcasted down here and I was super disappointed when the DVD releases were trash (VHS-Masters levels of trash). I've bene meaning to watch Jiraiya again for years.

I really hope that's true and I would love it if it actually happened. Here's hoping!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hilariously enough I never got into Kyoryuger while I seriously love GoBusters.

Anyway, maybe the animal motif could be used as an anniversary motif, like an animal represents a sentai. Monkey for Kakuranger for instance!

yami4ct

Slight warning for other Figuarts collectors here:

I ordered my Figuarts Tridoron from Nin-Nin Game as their shipping was significantly less than Nippon-Yassan. Today they come back and ask me for more money to ship it as they undercharged me. It's still slightly less than N-Y IIRC, but nowhere on the order page or that I can find on the site warned me that pre-order shipping is just an estimate or something like that. I'll pay it this time as I want my Tridoron, but still a bunch of crap.

vareon

In some cultures hotaru (firefly) might not have a positive reputation, but they are well liked in Japanese society. They have been a metaphor for passionate love in poetry since Man'you-shu (the 8th century anthology). Their eerie lights are also thought to be the altered form of the souls of soldiers who have died in war.

http://japanese.about.com/od/japanesecultur1/fl/Why-the-Firefly-Hotaru-Is-Important-in-Japan.htm

While not directly influenced with fireflies, I'm pretty sure the designer(s) had a thought about it.

Tiu Neo

Ninninger 31

Funny episode. More of a setup for what is to come. Next week will be interesting.

Final battle against Kyuemon? He's the only villain that does anything!

BatDan

Ninninger 31

Really enjoyed this episode.
It did kind of feel like they took out Kasumi for most of the episode because they've realized she's the best Ninninger (at least the most competent).
The villain Megazord is here, and it decimates the heroes. Oh hey, new toys next week. Neat.

javadoze

Swanboat Sentai Ninninger 31

-Pretty entertaining episode. I kinda wish they took the specialty-switching a bit further though
like giving Kinji's specialty to someone else for the hell of it
Takaharu acting smart for once
was neat to see, though.

-And so the Ninja school arc has
come to an end?

-I wonder if the
explosion at the end with the flying Ninja ally
was really the
destruction of that mech
? It'd be funny if that whole sequence was just the writer venting about Jyuuouger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9mY2EgNHe4

The NinNin game looks pretty good. I might have to check it out when I get the opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcLWx66LWX8

This I should've posted months ago but even when the trailer dropped it did make me wonder about the future of the Climax Heroes series if this is the treatment this got.

In other news, hurray for Shinnosuke growth, boo at no Kamen Rider Kiriko. We still have at least 1 more chance for my dream to come true. Come on Rider Wars!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

The NinNin game looks pretty good. I might have to check it out when I get the opportunity.

This I should've posted months ago but even when the trailer dropped it did make me wonder about the future of the Climax Heroes series if this is the treatment this got.

In other news, hurray for Shinnosuke growth, boo at no Kamen Rider Kiriko. We still have at least 1 more chance for my dream to come true. Come on Rider Wars!

they should have made kiriko kamen rider chaser at the end.

WarRock

Isn't that the All Kamen Rider Generations engine? Dunno how they handled the mech fights...

Is there any reason why nobody made a Super Robot Taisen rip off with tokusatsu?

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Man, that doesn't look half bad... until the narrator said that there was an easy mode and a super easy mode for kids - which means that the gameplay will be generic and "press a button" boring as fuuuuuuck.

To be honest, he also says that there's a hard mode, but you know...

What is that, a mobile fighting game that looks like the climax heroes, but with more movesets and it's all about generic non-licensed tokusatsu heroes? That doesn't look half bad and it's better than the shitty "Marvel Future Fight" clone that Toei made for mobiles and Kamen Rider...

I... should try that...

Edit: Oh, it's Bima-X, an Indonesian Tokusatsu show. PlayStore Link

oh god i love Kasumi....T____T

For she is love. For she is life. Our Angel in Ninninger!

they should have made kiriko kamen rider chaser at the end.

I thought that was the way they were going to go with it. It made sense but because it does logic then dictates it can't be. They have 1~2 opportunities to pull this off in a way that makes sense and actually works.

Isn't that the All Kamen Rider Generations engine? Dunno how they handled the mech fights...

Would seem like it is. Those games didn't have fights like that even given the fact that J was around.

Is there any reason why nobody made a Super Robot Taisen rip off with tokusatsu?

Most recently they dropped Super Hero Generation which I liked but didn't finish. Could say the same about Super Heroine Chronicle as well.

What is that, a mobile fighting game that looks like the climax heroes, but with more movesets and it's all about generic non-licensed tokusatsu heroes? That doesn't look half bad and it's better than the shitty "Marvel Future Fight" clone that Toei made for mobiles and Kamen Rider...

I... should try that...

Edit: Oh, it's Bima-X, an Indonesian Tokusatsu show. PlayStore Link

Good looking, Drizzle. I don't have a device that'll work with it but at least I can download it if I want to. Never know, it might be something there.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Finally got to watch Drive. Man that was a really great "crossover" ep. It did shit I didn't expect.

Kurita

Kamen Rider Gaim 27
capturedecran2015-09-x2oj9.png
Shieeeet

Faiz

Buchi keeps on giving.

Betrayal!

More Betrayal!

Takatora best supporting character confirmed!

Sid crushed to death!

Micchy really is a POS. Never liked him.

DAI-DAI-DAI-DAI DAI SHOGUUUUN!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Its weird how drive feels like the most complete kamen rider ending weve had in a while. Even without the future tags, everything wrapped up pretty nicely

Buchi keeps on giving.

Betrayal!

More Betrayal!

Takatora best supporting character confirmed!

Sid crushed to death!

Micchy really is a POS. Never liked him.

DAI-DAI-DAI-DAI DAI SHOGUUUUN!

All of that stuff is true. And hawktiger is the best

vareon

So what was the point of having Ghost in Drive's finale? (not this week, the last week one) His cameo in the epilogue was pretty good.

NeonZ

So what was the point of having Ghost in Drive's finale? (not this week, the last week one) His cameo in the epilogue was pretty good.

I guess it was to give more legitimacy to the epilogue episode, since it wasn't written by the main writer.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Guessing this cameo was set a bit after Ghost had been Ghost considered how skilled he was at fighting, when the previews (and that one leaked scene of him and Spectre) makes it look like Ghost is pretty ungraceful at first. I'd like to see an episode of Ghost reference why the Eyecon was with Neo-Shade, but I guess they won't since none of the other cameos in previous series were ever explained in their shows.

Also, anyone else noticed the Eyecon changed to Green for a few shots at the end when Ghost was atop the building?

yami4ct

My SHF Tridoron looks like it's getting here tomorrow. So excited. I'll definitely post some photos. Should be a pretty special release.

WarRock

Thinking about it, Ghost cameo was pretty well done but I also liked the low key Wizard cameo in Fourze's ending.

Poor Shun, heh.

jwk94

I'm all for another mash-up on two conditions:

1) We get a QUEST for the new powers or at least see the mentor making something on the side that gets revealed in the season finale

2) The season 1 powers get destroyed or retired. None of this Mega to Super Mega and then going straight to Super Mega for no reason crap. Also explain what the sixth is supposed to do while the Gold Ninja powers aren't there.

I have faith that Lynn could pull this off, but it has to be good.

BatDan

I saw the ToQger Ranger Keys. Are you serious with this Bandai?
You weren't satisfied with only releasing 7, you had to go overboard.

Thankfully the Ninninger keys shouldn't be this excessive.

javadoze

The Platinum Mobirates with every sound from now til forever is going to be announced any year now...

yami4ct

Well, if you're going to make the molds for ToQ 1-7, might as well go all the way.

Top Bottom