• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Jeffrey

https://youtu.be/8nWJSwkhxdI

Green Ranger helmet was at wondercon. I would love to know the thought process of designing the US variants of the suits because they definitely didn't go for 1:1 accuracy like with the green Ranger armor. I assume they had access to the original props? Because how else would they have done the thunder megazord destruction scene in s2?

Also green Ranger helmet got all kinds of redesigns over the years lol.

Finished Zero: Dragon Blood. I never knew that's what happens when the timer runs out, I always assumed that it was like Devil Trigger & the timer represented how long they had til the armor wore off.

Jeffrey

Finished Zero: Dragon Blood. I never knew that's what happens when the timer runs out, I always assumed that it was like Devil Trigger & the timer represented how long they had til the armor wore off.
What that's a thing again? Swear it was only a thing in s1 and they forgot about it lol.

Big One

Banned
NUkGZqB.jpg

Kamen Rider W Returns (FINISHED)

I completely forgot about this until I finished OOOs for some reason, lol. But yeah, thoughts on both movies:

Accel: Holy shit! I didn't know Ryu Terui was John Wick! Great movie overall. The action sequences are genuinely fantastic in this movie. This is the type of stuff I watch Kamen Rider for. So much fun and serious at all the right moments. This is some of the best Kamen Rider media you'll ever watch.

Eternal: I wasn't as hyped about this one coming in, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. I never thought I'd honestly give two shits about the NEVER crew, but this movie made me a fan of them as well as Eternal. While the W movie was great, this is a really good companion piece that puts the whole NEVER crew in a new light.

Overall both movies were excellent and full of nods to Kamen Rider W. I wish they'd do this for more Kamen Rider series.

Um5mNSw.jpg

Kamen Rider Fourze (FINISHED)

Ooh boy where to start. Now, I was going into this somewhat expecting to hate this. While I did like Den-O, initially I didn't really find Fourze nearly as funny, and the characters I wasn't ever invested in too much which made the dramatic moments feel flat in the first few episodes. So after watching 48 episodes, the crossover movie, and the actual movie... I absolutely loved it! Buuut it has some clear issues that i want to cover first before I go into the positives:

• What the hell happened to Sonoda and the others that were on the M-BUS?
    They never re-appeared or anything.
  • Ryuusei's entire character arc was kind of terrible to be honest.
    There was really no reason to why he had to ally himself with Ares other than he was impatient. Tachibana stated all they needed was Ares Switch to cure his friend but instead of being patient he was just being an ass all around. He does get better as the series goes on but the entire Meteor arc was pretty bleh for me.
  • While I do enjoy the theme of friendship, some of these guys straight up deserve to be in jail for what they did. You could argue "oh it was the switch that made them do it" but let's get real here...the Gaia Memories were the same way. It felt a bit disingenuous how fast characters were able to turn from straight up evil into good guys just because they discovered friendship.
  • The Presenters.
    Why is one of the series biggest plot-points not expanded upon? Also, I'm curious why they never expanded upon the Chairman's book about study of civilizations in galaxies outside of our own. In Fourze, if people are struggling to get to the Moon then how does the chairman know so much about aliens? I get his goal is to meet the Presenter, but he still didn't know anything about them.
  • For the space theme I also felt that it was a missed opportunity to not involve aliens in some capacity. I get that's a sentai theme and Kamen Rider does it sporadically like in BLACK and Kabuto, but bleh.
  • I should expect this by now,
    but bringing Kengo back was cheap,. cheap, cheap. Why does KR insist on reviving the dead? He wasn't even as likable as Phillip!
With that being said, I did enjoy it a lot. At first I disliked the core cast, but after getting several episodes dedicated to them and developing them, they started to grow on me as the course of the show went on. The plot took a long time to really come up, and the show never really stops being in filler mode until the very end, but regardless I enjoyed the little stories and moments Fourze had to offer.

I also hated the setting at first, but once I realized that the setting would allow Kamen Rider to explore themes it's never explored before, I started to really enjoy how different it was from other Kamen Rider series. The school theme grew on me, even though it was weird how it was basically an American school with Japanese characters, lol.

xVG0tSf.jpg

Both of the Fourze movies were fantastic as well. The W and OOOs crossover with Fourze was surprisingly fantastic throughout, and I loved the obscure toku references in the Fourze movie itself and similar to the Kamen Rider Accel portion of Kamen Rider W Returns had some really kickass action sequences with SURPRISE Mikie Hara!

Overall I really enjoyed the FRIENDSHIP and characters of Fourze. It was fun. It wasn't as funny as the other comedy-based Kamen Rider Den-O, but it was definitely better written for what it's worth.

NOW ONTO WIZARD!!

vSalhDj.jpg

Super Hero Taisen (FINISHED)

While this is somewhat a Fourze movie but I wanted to give it it's own section cause...this movie was really the drizzling shits. I tried to convince myself this was going to be good fun, and a lot of the action sequences WERE awesome as fuck, but the majority of the movie was spent with Diend, Hina, Gokai Blue, and Gokai Green....just why? I can't stand Hina either.

Decade and Gokai Red were complete asses in this movie. I hated Decade before, but this movie really solidified by hate-on for him. While Gokai Red is a dick in his own series, he's a LOT more lovable in Gokaiger than Decade ever was in Decade. Unfortunately however the movie had this genius idea into making Captain Marvelous have the SAME EXACT PERSONALITY AS TSUKASA!

I wanted to like this one. It took a wile to settle on this one, cause I love toku fanservice but man...this was shit. The previous Den-O and OOOs movie did a much, much better job at this. I can't hate on the fanservice moments though.

WillyFive

Worst moment of the Kamen Rider series ever, the show getting cancelled in the 80s, or going to Wizard after Fourze.....can't decide.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Worst moment of the Kamen Rider series ever, the show getting cancelled in the 80s, or going to Wizard after Fourze.....can't decide.

the cancellation. at least after the wizard shenanigans, we got gaim. kamen rider was dead for years before kuuga. id love to see what 90s kamen rider would have been like

NeonZ

[*]The Presenters.
Why is one of the series biggest plot-points not expanded upon? Also, I'm curious why they never expanded upon the Chairman's book about study of civilizations in galaxies outside of our own. In Fourze, if people are struggling to get to the Moon then how does the chairman know so much about aliens? I get his goal is to meet the Presenter, but he still didn't know anything about them.
[*]For the space theme I also felt that it was a missed opportunity to not involve aliens in some capacity. I get that's a sentai theme and Kamen Rider does it sporadically like in BLACK and Kabuto, but bleh.

The Dark Nebula from Fourze is kind of odd. The name is basically a reference to where the aliens in the 2nd half of Super-1 came from, but they never really do anything with that reference in the Fourze show itself or crossovers that followed.

Also, yes, Super Hero Taisen is pretty much a Decade movie. If you didn't like him before, it won't help at all. Kamen Rider Taisen might change your opinion regarding him though since his role is pretty different there.

SHT also does some baffling things, like repeating the same scenes for the Sentai and Rider sides. It did give me a 2nd Legendary Battle that Gokaiger lacked though.

Edit: There are also these deleted scenes which really annoy me.

SuperHeroWars_DeletedScenes_01_zpscxseajwp.jpg

W and Accel vs Black Cross King, which was shown in trailers and even advertised in magazines, and also another one where the remaining Dai-Shocker and Dai-Zangyack commanders were killed. They were planning to make a Director's Cut for the movie, but Toei stopped making Director's Cuts around that time, so they're just lost. The W and Accel scene also would have been the first one where Heisei Riders got replacement voice actors with actual lines, which might have played a role in removing it from the theatrical cut in spite of using it in advertisement. Curiously, their replacements are still credited in the final movie, even though they don't have lines anymore. In the following year, SHTZ would finally break away from that though and use a replacement VA for OOO, giving him several lines in the final battle.

NeonZ

Badass....

...and what is this from?!

Final episode of the
GoRider mini-series.

It seems like the whole plot with the dead Riders in a Game World is a set up from Genm (who survived as data) in order to collect data from the despair of the dead in order to bring himself back to the real world. I haven't watched the final episode itself though, so I don't know if he'll just be defeated and killed again or if there'll be some foreshadowing regarding him returning in the actual tv show.

Sou Da

no that was a shitposter gimmick, in fact I daresay it that it's only one poster spamming his shit in different toku threads, and most probably came from /v/. I enjoy toku on its own without even classifying its age, only for its "concept" (i.e. effects), especially considering that most of the toku I watched are Showa era

You're mistaken. I'm talking about the people who insist that /m/ hates showa every time they can't get the discussion they want.

Also I just started watching Dino Charge. Why do they insist on have Pink in a tank top all the time when all it does is make them cut away more for her unmorphed action scenes?

Slayven

You're mistaken. I'm talking about the people who insist that /m/ hates showa every time they can't get the discussion they want.

Also I just started watching Dino Charge. Why do they insist on have Pink in a tank top all the time when all it does is make them cut away more for her unmorphed action scenes?

Are the stunt doubles still painfully obvious in the action scenes?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Yeaaah... there's one really bad instance with Chase (Black Ranger) where it's clearly an Asian guy.
Only Koda (Blue Ranger) has the really good unmorphed fight scenes, and that's due to Yoshi Sudarso being awesome.

Slayven

Yeaaah... there's one really bad instance with Chase (Black Ranger) where it's clearly an Asian guy.
Only Koda (Blue Ranger) has the really good unmorphed fight scenes, and that's due to Yoshi Sudarso being awesome.

Like the stunt doubles always keep their heads down even when it looks painful and a terrible way to fight

Sou Da

I was speaking more from more of "the poor choice of civilian wardrobe for her causes her actress to get less screen-time in any action scene due to jiggling" perspective but I haven't noticed anything particularly egregious.

Kinda interested in how exactly this shits the bed in Super.

BatDan

Like the stunt doubles always keep their heads down even when it looks painful and a terrible way to fight

I wonder if that's why Sentai rarely has unmorphed fight scenes these days. Even the mooks require morphing.

PR really needs to fix the ADR too. Music drowns out the dialogue like Doctor Who, there's many moments where the dialogue is completely out of place, and not really ADR but they need a new composer too.

BatDan

I bet the nerd kid on Ninja Steel is really 35

More attention is focused on the jock kid, with jokes like "he looks like he has a kid in high school" and "are we sure he's not an undercover agent?" Seriously he looks nothing like a high school kid.

jwk94

I wonder if that's why Sentai rarely has unmorphed fight scenes these days. Even the mooks require morphing.

PR really needs to fix the ADR too. Music drowns out the dialogue like Doctor Who, there's many moments where the dialogue is completely out of place, and not really ADR but they need a new composer too.

I'll take bad ADR and music if we can get good writing again.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Sentai rarely has unmorphed scenes nowadays because the actors are young modesl rather than actors or trained stuntmen and if the director/their agency aren't interested in making them do stuff it doesn't happen. And if you have to use a double for most of it anyway there's little point to it. Only Sakamoto can consistently make people do things but he probably has connections with satan.

Sou Da

More attention is focused on the jock kid, with jokes like "he looks like he has a kid in high school" and "are we sure he's not an undercover agent?" Seriously he looks nothing like a high school kid.

There has to be some executive mandate or something right? Lynn dropped the high school stuff in every season he's written, why is it still here?

I was genuinely shocked when I found out there were supposed to be High Schoolers in Dino Charge.

Slayven

There has to be some executive mandate or something right? Lynn dropped the high school stuff in every season he's written, why is it still here?

I was genuinely shocked when I found out there were supposed to be High Schoolers in Dino Charge.

I thought they were full time at the museum, damn

BatDan

I thought they were full time at the museum, damn

Pretty sure there were no high schoolers.
Shelby was in college.
Tyler traveled the world, Chase is from New Zealand, Riley's from a farm, and Koda & Ivan were displaced from time.
Fuck, that all sounds way more original than "High school students, except for the one guy that was stuck in space for 10 years and the other that's a country music star
and possibly Brody's brother if the spoilers from France are real

WarRock

holy shit Ex-Aid doesn't know when to stop
is this the first on screen mass murder in Kamen Rider since... whatever was the last one before Decade?

Sou Da

Pretty sure there were no high schoolers.
Shelby was in college.
Tyler traveled the world, Chase is from New Zealand, Riley's from a farm, and Koda & Ivan were displaced from time.
Fuck, that all sounds way more original than "High school students, except for the one guy that was stuck in space for 10 years and the other that's a country music star
and possibly Brody's brother if the spoilers from France are real

Well I stand corrected then.

WarRock

He even remembered his shield.

Wonder how much time till he and Taiga meet Graphite again. We still don't know why Taiga is so fixated in killing all Bugsters and getting all Gashats for himself and Hiiro may be breaking down from Fantasy.

Everybody is screwed in this show.

KingDirk

Just got caught up on Ex-Aid and holy shit does it remain top-shelf Kamen Rider. Genuinely impressed with the pace and the show's structure. Starting in media res in episode 25 was also a really nice, modern touch.

We still don't know why Taiga is so fixated in killing all Bugsters and getting all Gashats for himself

Its already been stated that he wants all the gashats because he believes its his responsibility to handle the Bugsters, and he doesn't want anyone else getting hurt. He was the prototype Gamer Driver user, after all. The first to combat Bugsters, ever.

WarRock

Didn't he mention a couple of times there was something he would get by acquiring all gashats though? Like, in his introduction?

Didn't he mention a couple of times there was something he would get by acquiring all gashats though? Like, in his introduction?

You're thinking of the "get all 10 gashats to kill all the bugsters" ruse that Dan had going on. That's partly why Taiga wanted them all, he thought it would help him take the burden off anyone else with defeating them once and for all.

Slayven

Its already been stated that he wants all the gashats because he believes its his responsibility to handle the Bugsters, and he doesn't want anyone else getting hurt. He was the prototype Gamer Driver user, after all. The first to combat Bugsters, ever.

That and him failing to beat Graphite and saving Hiro's girlfriend

Slayven

Has there been a rider squad that gelled so organically together? At first they hated each other, then lazer died, and they still hated each other, but slowly they started to win each other over. Any other series would have Lazer's death be the moment they are best friends forever.

BatDan

Amazons 14

We're back!
Fucking millennials. Filming violence for YouTube.
Humans turning into Amazons. That's terrifying.
Definitely feels like a different season so far. The theme isn't as good as the first though.

Was thinking about it earlier, not going to happen but it would be really nice if the Power Ranger adaptation of Kyuranger was a full anniversary/legendary ranger season.
Especially given the team size.

NeonZ

Was thinking about it earlier, not going to happen but it would be really nice if the Power Ranger adaptation of Kyuranger was a full anniversary/legendary ranger season.
Especially given the team size.

The next anniversary season is apparently going to be Ninja Steel s2, so the timing won't really work.

The next anniversary season is apparently going to be Ninja Steel s2, so the timing won't really work.

If Kyuranger's adaptation aired in the fall of 2018 it would be the 25th Anniversary.

Though I don't know who would be willing to return for a full season.

WarRock

Caught up with Kyuranger. Violet debut is the best episode so far, they finally juggled between the characters efficiently.

Also watched Shin Godzilla. That scene man...

You're thinking of the "get all 10 gashats to kill all the bugsters" ruse that Dan had going on. That's partly why Taiga wanted them all, he thought it would help him take the burden off anyone else with defeating them once and for all.
Oh, that's right, thanks for the reminder!

Has there been a rider squad that gelled so organically together? At first they hated each other, then lazer died, and they still hated each other, but slowly they started to win each other over. Any other series would have Lazer's death be the moment they are best friends forever.
I can't remember any others. Maybe Agito and G-3, but it's hardly the same thing.

Seems like it. The incessant cringe cramming of High School, Go Go Power Rangers, that awful ranger rhyme, it's morphin time, and immature jokes are all obviously coming form the top. There is no way this being the 6th season of this nonsense is a one off especially with a change of writers. That being said hopefully with the release of their movie they'll finally end the constant annoyance of nostalgia grab aimed at those that they wanted to see the movie. Because none of the fans even like it.

Maybe start treating their shows with respect and have it appeal to all ages instead of the pre-school mickey and friends crowd.

I am sad Kyruranger might get disrespected even though it's liquid gold for Lynn. Plus it would end up on a year that Star Wars and Avatar will be running through mainstream 2019/2020 (if still on Nick)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

If they were different characters they probably would have been friends after that. With taiga and Hiro, it's like you have two barons on your team. They're naturally gonna be standoffish

Tiu Neo

Kamen Rider Amazons 2-1

My main problem with Amazons was the non-ending it had. And, watching this episode, I think they could have done that better, back then, with the time skip and mostly new cast. Well, at least the time skip actually makes some sense. Things have really gone to shit, the world has changed. Amazons are now contagious, somehow.

It's a good setup. It's a bit early to tell much about the new characters yet, so I'll just wait and see. The allied Amazon girl is kinda badass. I'm kinda intrigued about the two main characters and the new teams. Didn't really feel team X, but they'll probably die soon, lol.

The fights and action are good, the tone is just right. I hope it's at least as good as last season. It has potential to be even better, imo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Loved how Emu was jumping out of the Maximum suit and it fighting separate from him, I thought it was kind of boring at first but that sold me.

Top Bottom