• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOKYO GHOUL |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

God i gave this a chance i really did! But why does every anime protagonist have to be such a huge wuss that whines constantly??
Every freaking anime its the same lame ass loser dude with just different looks wtf.
Its just like this formless loser chameleon that wanders around from anime to anime with the goal to destroy it with its shit.

Watch Aldnoah Zero :D TermInaho has no such problems :D

Qvoth

it really could've been one of the greats... this obviously rushed ending is just too stupid
LLShC.gif

doubt there will be a sequel

phaze

Just started watching the Anime, and holy shit - the censoring is obnoxious.. The beginning of E2 was ridiculous, there were a couple of seconds where the whole screen just went black for the sake of censoring.. and those inverted colors -_-

I suppose it's gonna stay like that in the later episodes? Now I feel like putting it on hold to wait for the Blu-Ray release D:

The censorship remains though I would say it's bit less egregious lately. No idea why AoT could get away with its gore and TG can't. ;(

Regiruler

Just started watching the Anime, and holy shit - the censoring is obnoxious.. The beginning of E2 was ridiculous, there were a couple of seconds where the whole screen just went black for the sake of censoring.. and those inverted colors -_-

I suppose it's gonna stay like that in the later episodes? Now I feel like putting it on hold to wait for the Blu-Ray release D:

I don't think the inverted colors are for censorship. It's just a style thing.

I actually think that the censorship makes everything seem worse than it actually is, although some of the (ep 9-11 spoiler)
torture scenes
would be rather gruesome without the censorship.
The censorship remains though I would say it's bit less egregious lately. No idea why AoT could get away with its gore and TG can't. ;(

Does AoT Season 2 get that much more gruesome than season 1? I thought the violence in AoT season 1 (what's been on toonami anyway) is positively child's play compared to what TG would be without some censorship.

phaze

Watch Aldnoah Zero :D TermInaho has no such problems :D

I just realised Aldnoah and TG have the same voice actors for their main duo's. :O

I don't think the inverted colors are for censorship. It's just a style thing.

I actually think that the censorship makes everything seem worse than it actually is, although some of the (ep 9-11 spoiler)
torture scenes
would be rather gruesome without the censorship.

Does AoT Season 2 get that much more gruesome than season 1? I thought the violence in AoT season 1 (what's been on toonami anyway) is positively child's play compared to what TG would be without some censorship.

Really ? I would have to rewatch it but my from my memory they went farther than TG. For example they had no qualms about showing severed limbs while Ghoul felt the need to censor it in EP's 1,2,6,8. Second season of AoT is on par with the first I would say, maybe even bit lower on the gore scale

EmiPrime

Question for manga readers, should I avoid ep 12? I am worried that it will spoil something that happens much later just for it to have an ending.

I was quite enjoying this, shame they condensed and chopped and changed so much. Kaneki going from being captured to being tortured straight after made me check to see if I had skipped some episodes by accident.

MayMay

Banned
Hmm.. damn. So this is the end of the Anime? Like, it just... ends. On a cliffhanger. I dont know, Id probably have appreciated it if they gave the Anime a satisfying ending - even if its not in the Manga lol

Oh well, If they did one thing - then its making me go read the Manga right now lol.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Question for manga readers, should I avoid ep 12? I am worried that it will spoil something that happens much later just for it to have an ending.

I was quite enjoying this, shame they condensed and chopped and changed so much. Kaneki going from being captured to being tortured straight after made me check to see if I had skipped some episodes by accident.

No, they stopped at a cliffhanger, I remember hearing that the anime will continue after the next season. If that's true I would just wait for the anime.

I read the manga beforehand up to the latest, even though the anime cut a lot of stuffs out, it is a lot more impactful than the manga. I think it got to do with the horrible art in the manga. The sound effects and voice acting made the whole experience a lot more "colorful".

Frog-fu

Banned
Kaneki being a pussy 80% of the episode was annoying and Jason's sadism was so boring that I felt like skipping forward. If not for the transformation, I would've heavily disliked the episode.

from reading this thread I see that they neutered the torture scene, the most impactful/unique/disturbing part the series.(after that I ended getting bored and dropped it)

They might as well have not done an anime if they weren't going to do that scene justice

from reading this thread I see that they neutered the torture scene, the most impactful/unique/disturbing part the series.(after that I ended getting bored and dropped it)

I've heard the opposite, actually. The anime adaptation has its problems, but Episode 12 has generally been well-received.

They might as well have not done an anime if they weren't going to do that scene justice

If anything, it greatly boosted the popularity and awareness of the manga, especially outside of Japan. Though, the manga is now over so it didn't capitalize on that for very long.

phaze

Will the bluray/dvd release be uncensored?

Don't quote me on this but yes it should be.

Tokyo Ghoul 12

congratulationsvuk09.gif

Thankfully Pierrot saved the budget for this one, the execution was impeccable. Great episode,the best of the show, Though I wish now they didn't spoil that moment in the opening. I did expect to see more of Doves and Anteiku but now that I think of it, it would only break the flow of this episode. I would have liked still more graphic depiction of the torture and I don't think the OP song meshed well with the combat but I can't really nitpick anything else. Good stuff. I hope it will get another season.

Rize for the best motivational speaker of 2014. Really liked how she ripped into Kaneki's mother.

Also it was hilarious to see them end it the same way they ended the first episode.

Wiktor

I've read that part of the manga and the torture in anime seemed much worse. It was censored, but it felt a lot longer and the sounds..dear God..the sounds. I was watching with headphones and when he put that bug inside his ear the screen turned black and they set up the sound of the bug moving and chewing in a way that made me feel like it crawled into my own ear. Awesome :D

phaze

^ Was just about to post that.

Agreed about the sound effects. They were really great and so was was the background music and voice actor's performances.

Are the torture scenes in manga intertwined with the Aogiri/CCG/Anteiku stuff outside ? Don't really want to get spoiled on those if we get a sequel so soon.

So how many episodes is this current season going to be?

I haven't read the manga yet nor caught up on any production information but I'm heavily interested in it.

This weeks episode was pretty awesome, imo, but the censoring irritated me quite a bit. I want to see the gore ;/

So how many episodes is this current season going to be?

I haven't read the manga yet nor caught up on any production information but I'm heavily interested in it.

This weeks episode was pretty awesome, imo, but the censoring irritated me quite a bit. I want to see the gore ;/

The current season ended with 12 episodes. Next should also be 12 episode.

Glad its continuing.

Lum1n3s

Don't quote me on this but yes it should be.

Tokyo Ghoul 12

congratulationsvuk09.gif

Thankfully Pierrot saved the budget for this one, the execution was impeccable. Great episode,the best of the show, Though I wish now they didn't spoil that moment in the opening. I did expect to see more of Doves and Anteiku but now that I think of it, it would only break the flow of this episode. I would have liked still more graphic depiction of the torture and I don't think the OP song meshed well with the combat but I can't really nitpick anything else. Good stuff. I hope it will get another season.

Rize for the best motivational speaker of 2014. Really liked how she ripped into Kaneki's mother.

Also it was hilarious to see them end it the same way they ended the first episode.
Simply stupendous, was it wrong that I was cheering Ms. Rize for her lashing towards Kaneki? Can't wait for season 2 =D!

SOLDIER

The last two episodes were some of the hardest I've had to watch in a while. Torture scenes tend to unnerve me in a cliched way, but watching Kaneki's mental barriers slowly corrode and break down just made this even more disturbing.

I really hope the next episode is just 23 minutes of Kaneki devising new ways to out-torture the piece of shit, though I'm much more worried of what will be left of his mental state once it's all over.

Nice guys truly finish last.

Also season 2 starts in January, so I won't have to wait too long: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...o-ghoul-anime-season-begins-in-january/.78943

Moaradin

I thought the last episode was the best in the series despite it being a horrible way to end it. It's clear that they really wanted to do that scene but didn't give a fuck about everything else.

Lum1n3s

Ok so I'm confused did the anime end where the manga ended or did we end mid point at the manga so we could get season 2?

Ok so I'm confused did the anime end where the manga ended or did we end mid point at the manga so we could get season 2?

The anime ended roughly around 65-66, before the end of Yamori and Kaneki's struggle. There are 143 chapters in the manga, although it's sometimes hard to gauge where the anime is at all times due to skipping/reordering events or altering them.

EmiPrime

Really wish this had been given two 26 episode seasons. It's not going to be anyone's favourite anime but it's strangely compelling and the action is quite well animated.

I also thought the torture scene in the anime had more impact than in the manga despite all the censorship thanks to all the screams and crunches and seeing that insect animated. The manga has some pacing issues after the ward 12 action, the CGG folks aren't as interesting as the ghouls but i'll stay with it.

Just finished watching Tokyo Ghoul, its started off slow but after the first few episodes, its been brilliant ever since.

I dont know what everyone is complaining about.

Tokyo Ghoul is right up there with Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R1.

phaze

I wouldn't go that far but I agree that second half of the show was pretty good. (Only watched FMA:B)

untitled-107it0.gif
tumblr_nc441bUE5T1qckkfko1_500.gif

Kaneki learned so much from his foster mum. ;_;

Been reading bits of manga and I actually like the added appearances of Jason, Mado and Amon.(Though not the rushing through chapters.) It made the arcs seem less artificial and brought some sense of closure to the season in the finale. (As much as was possible under the circumstances)The torture in manga wasn't really more graphic, they just showed
his defingered feet once and a bucket full of those fingers
Dissapointed. -_-

I was really shocked at the finger cracking in this anime series.

Mainly because I crack my fingers too and I do it the exact same way by cracking my knuckles using the one hand.

I thought that was something only I did haha

itzOHz7tMDzaM.gif

ibaPZSB4pGDP3L.gif

Rnr1224

I really enjoyed this show since starting it when it premiered. I'm a little disappointed that the show ended like that, but if a second season in 2015 is true, ill be sure to watch that as well. The anime has also made me start reading the manga

Jaeger

I watched all 12 in the past couple of days. Very fun. I don't know anything about this, and just on a whim decided to watch it. Alot of wasted potential, as you can tell it was super rushed/condensed. Going by the thread, that seems to be the case. But there's hope! A second season in just a few months? Fuck yes.

Qvoth

so it's october now, anyone knows when is the young jump announcement? please be manga continuation ; ;

Good news! Thanks to a leak of the upcoming Young Jump issue, Tokyo Ghoul: re is a continuation manga starting publication on 16 October. According to the leaks, it also confirmed that January 2015 will see a Season 2 of the anime.

Source: ANN

Dysun

Nice to see it will get a continuation. The last few episodes were really picking up and then it left off in the midst of that

Qvoth

Good news! Thanks to a leak of the upcoming Young Jump issue, Tokyo Ghoul: re is a continuation manga starting publication on 16 October. According to the leaks, it also confirmed that January 2015 will see a Season 2 of the anime.

yay! here's hoping there won't be any timeskip and kaneki stays as the protagonist
edit: just saw the picture, that doesn't look like kaneki..... hmmm

Rarity

Cool. I was hoping that manga ending wasn't the actual ending.

Been really wanting to check this show out but I've been worried about the censorship ruining the experience for me. Is it that bad? Should I wait until the uncensored DVDs come out?

phaze

The censorship is pretty bad especially in the first half. At this point I would wait.

No one seems to have posted the teaser here ....

Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 PV

http://youtu.be/yRr10QYQCU4

What the fuck? Why is Kaneki in Koukuria, in prison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell guys I really did not see this coming. It seems that season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul will be an anime original written by Ishida his original draft from the manga. Welp I don't know what to think anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom