• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren "I'm not a gaming journalist lol. Also, lighten up."

Pedro Motta

Someone should send him a Gaf invite
Yes please, I would love to tell him to fuck off in here since he banned me on Twitter for letting him know what an embarrassment he was as a senior editor at the Verge posting lies after lies. Not unlike Colt Eastwood.
I bet he was the one that ordered and reviewed that infamous "How to build a custom gaming PC", peak incompetence.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't get why this became so personal for most of you people. Insomniac got hacked, and plans leaked. Journalists decided to make a moral statement out of it. Why should this affect us? Does games get cancelled over this? Did we used the leaked information to harass any insomniac employee? Did this bought any hackers to our accounts? Did any of the journalists removed the information available to the public? There is no rational reason to have strong feelings over this.
Exactly.

I dont know if Insomniac personal info of bank accounts, social security numbers and home addresses etc... were leaked. But that is zero interest to me. And I havent seen on any game forum talking about the leak involving doxxing or poking fun at employees with slides showing people's details. So if that data is out there, I havent seen it nor care. And if it is out there thats uncalled for to expose people.

If any company had info leaked and it was interesting stuff..... gamers seeing road maps and games, sports fan seeing email trails about potential player trades, what products Apple has coming out soon etc.... any person with an interest in that stuff would read them. I dont even buy Apple stuff, but I'd read about their road map and prototypes too. And any Apple fan would click that link asap. Dont lie if youre an Apple fan. You'd click it too.

If any person is totally against reading up on video game company leaks, thats fine. If you want to be super protective about your favourite video game brand go ahead. But dont act like you've never click link to know what private stuff celebs do, trade rumours for your fav team, secret deals politicians did that were exposed to the public, or what leaks came about from GTA6 or when Capcom got nailed with leaks too etc....

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Exactly.

I dont know if Insomniac personal info of bank accounts, social security numbers and home addresses etc... were leaked. But that is zero interest to me. And I havent seen on any game forum talking about the leak involving doxxing or poking fun at employees. So if that data is out there, I havent seen it nor care.

If any company had info leaked and it was interesting stuff..... gamers seeing road maps and games, sports fan seeing email trails about potential player trades, what products Apple has coming out soon etc.... any person with an interest in that top would read them. I dont even buy Apple stuff, but I'd read about their road map and prototypes too.

If any person is totally against reading up on video game company leaks, thats fine. If you want to be super protective about your favourite video game brand go ahead. But dont act like you've never click link to know what private stuff celebs do, trade rumours for your fav team, secret deals politicians did that were exposed to the public, or what leaks came about from GTA6 or when Capcom got nailed with leaks too etc....

Funny enough, the best take on this whole insomniac leak I have seen so far came from another Gaf staple, Jeff Grubb.

He plainly stated that he doesn't like that the leak happened and people's info got leaked, but as a journalist it's his responsibility to cover it.

He talked about all the pertinent information on the last giant bombcast's news segment.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny enough, the best take on this whole insomniac leak I have seen so far came from another Gaf staple, Jeff Grubb.

He plainly stated that he doesn't like that the leak happened and people's info got leaked, but as a journalist it's his responsibility to cover it.

He talked about all the pertinent information on the last giant bombcast's news segment.
I find it more interesting that when GTA6 and Capcom got nailed with leaks, where's all the corporate defenders when those happened?

And where's game site ethics? You can Google it right now. IGN even posted about GTA6 leaks and even went further telling people in the article to go to GTAForums and you can find the links there.

When MS secret data got leaked about court case stuff (supposedly it was accidentally leaked by a numbnut), thats secret info too. Makes no difference if it was accidentally done by an employee or lawyer or a malicious hack. If your buddy accidentally send you pics of his wife nude, does that mean it's ok to tell the world because it wasnt hackers? Of course not. Secret info should be considered secret info. I didn't see one person saying "Hey, dont look at this MS court stuff". Every website and gamer interested in the merger ran with it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That’s hilarious. Wolverine Alpha - now an Xbox exclusive.

Insomniac covertly outsourcing alpha testers.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What a fuck up. Imagine a first party sony studio working on a PC version simultaneously while Rockstar is like fuck PC. what a crazy time to be alive. i know rockstar is also working on a pc version and just wont release it at launch but insomniac should not be working on a pc port.

absolutely no reason to be developing the pc port internally when you have fucking nixxes literally for porting this shit. focus 100% on console version during development and this doesnt happen. no one is porting the ps5 build on the xsx.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
What a fuck up. Imagine a first party sony studio working on a PC version simultaneously while Rockstar is like fuck PC. what a crazy time to be alive. i know rockstar is also working on a pc version and just wont release it at launch but insomniac should not be working on a pc port.

absolutely no reason to be developing the pc port internally when you have fucking nixxes literally for porting this shit. focus 100% on console version during development and this doesnt happen. no one is porting the ps5 build on the xsx.
Isn't it an internal testing build that is always made on PCs? How does one even make a game on a PS5, without using PC software?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Isn't it an internal testing build that is always made on PCs? How does one even make a game on a PS5, without using PC software?
Games are made on PC, but the build once compiled can only be run on ps5 devkits. unless you are making PC builds alongside the ps5 build which isnt typically done and why porting studios are needed.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Games are made on PC, but the build once compiled can only be run on ps5 devkits. unless you are making PC builds alongside the ps5 build which isnt typically done and why porting studios are needed.
A compiled build of a final game version, sure. But for internal testing builds, it is an iterative process and will continue to be on PC. Otherwise, how will devs make changes to an unfinished game?

Until that phase is reached, there will always be a playable PC version (which is what got leaked in this case).

If you look at other Insomniac slides, you can see that the Wolverine PC version is not even decided at this point. It is still marked as TBD.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Obviously. 😏

What did you expect from Wolverine? 🤨

After all, he's an 🙅🏼‍♂️-Men

ucLXExf.jpg

Praise our Lord JesuX!! 🙅🏼‍♂️🙅🏼‍♂️🙅🏼‍♂️

I know that we're joking and everything but that photo describes everything that's wrong with today's society and corporate worship bullshit...
"Jump little men, jump, do what we tell ya and you'll also feel good by doing it ! "

It's just G'damn disgusting,
i don't know whether I should cringe, laugh or cry.

Last edited:

tommib

I know that were joking and everything but that photo describes everything that's wrong with today's society and corporate worship bullshit...
"Jump little men, jump, do what we tell ya and you'll also feel good by doing it ! "

It's just G'damn disgusting,
i don't know whether I should cringe, laugh or cry.
I guess you never heard of religions…

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I stopped taking him serious years ago.

The lead up to this gen and months after this gen started sealed it for me.

Anything he says is an easy ignore. I don't know what it is with some of these pro Xbox folks acting like the Twitter fanboys. You should distance yourself from that, not lean into it.

JCK75

It was benign joke about the leak, I think a lot of people here need to take his advice on lightning up. I read that and I'm completely baffled that anyone is upset about it.

Topher

Gold Member
It was benign joke about the leak, I think a lot of people here need to take his advice on lightning up. I read that and I'm completely baffled that anyone is upset about it.

More about who said it than what was said. The guy ain't exactly well liked due to his nauseating pro-Microsoft bias.

But I think most here are just having fun at his expense more than anything else.

Last edited:

Edmund

When you're a senior editor of a tech website, especially when you look like you're well into your 40s and going into your 50s, you're expected to act like a grown up. Tom didn't.

jumpship

The problem is this wasn’t a leak. It was a serious breach of company data with failure to pay a $2 million ransom fee within 7 days risking damages of having confidential data, playable game builds, employee personal details etc released online. Insomniac are being blackmailed. The lack of empathy for what is a serious breach is baffling but not surprising given the current state of gaming media.

He should know better than to use this situation for fanboy jokes. And that goes for all the MS influencers in the media just absolute corporate low life’s with zero professionalism or integrity between them.

I hope Tom likes the joke about a ransomware data breach at the Verge revealing confidential company and personal staff information and finally getting the answer to just how much MS pay for his 24/7 service. Funny right.

T-800

Neo Member
He is right, when pressed they will all say they are not journalists, but hobbyists or simply writers, since being a journalist implies some education or professional code of conduct. I don’t know if you can even call yourself one if you do not have a degree.

Only hivemind ivy educated people can call themself journos.

I believe journoism used to be a blue-collar trade.

JCK75

More about who said it than what was said. The guy ain't exactly well liked due to his nauseating pro-Microsoft bias.

But I think most here are just having fun at his expense more than anything else.
That sounds like an admission that the people getting pissed off need a little bit more self-reflection on why they are actually angry.. the breach can be messed up but people were allowed to make harmless jokes about it

DavidGzz

The fact that he was banned from Reee, and then dissed them and asked for a perma makes him cool in my book. Don't be so mad he's on the wrong team, Neogaf. Lol

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
For me personally the "joke" was in poor taste because this wasn't a "leak" this was a ransomware attack that also took people's personal info

To me there is a huge difference and the attack should not be glorified in any manner

But again I am just an old man
season 13 GIF

For me personally the "joke" was in poor taste because this wasn't a "leak" this was a ransomware attack that also took people's personal info

To me there is a huge difference and the attack should not be glorified in any manner

But again I am just an old man
season 13 GIF

I guess what bothers me the most is that some want more attacks like this to see what devs are working on.

I know Sony not revealing a ton way ahead bothers some people and I agree the silence can be annoying. But a hack isn't the way to reveal these things. Let the devs announce it when they are instead instead of making them worry about data theft.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I guess what bothers me the most is that some want more attacks like this to see what devs are working on.

I know Sony not revealing a ton way ahead bothers some people and I agree the silence can be annoying. But a hack isn't the way to reveal these things. Let the devs announce it when they are instead instead of making them worry about data theft.
I don't mind someone leaking stuff (obviously) but illegal attacks I am 100% against and personally don't find any humor in it but if some do find it funny its not for me to judge

I do hate how secretive Sony is

What will he say when the Verge is subject to a criminal cyberattack that breaches employee data as well as revealing his Microsoft funding?
Friday Movie GIF

Top Bottom