• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Microsoft is considering bringing Indiana Jones to PS5, several months after the Xbox / PC release as part of new strategy

RIPN2022

Nintendo and Sony are about equal and the console market and I don't see either of them dominating the PC or mobile markets anytime soon.
Nintendo does their own thing in terms of video game genre- I don't think Sony has much in the way of similarity. Both stand out in their own way.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nintendo does their own thing in terms of video game genre- I don't think Sony has much in the way of similarity. Both stand out in their own way.
He mostly meant marketshare and he's right. Those are the two big players in this industry! Which is why it will still thrive!

Xbox is now the kid who comes to everybody's parties with all the goodies it hid from them!

Woopah

If the Switch was another Wii U or even or Wii, it's highly unlikely that it would have hit the highs that it has.

As a hybrid, yes, it has a big chunk of the market, which is why they can co-exist and PlayStation wouldn't be this "runaway train" that the fearmongers are saying it would become.
Correct, but by the same token if the PS5 had been a PS3 or a Vita then it wouldn't have hit the heights it has either.

In the end, both Sony and Nintendo made the right moves with their consoles.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Correct, but by the same token if the PS5 had been a PS3 or a Vita then it wouldn't have hit the heights it has either.

In the end, both Sony and Nintendo made the right moves with their consoles.
The difference is traditional vs handheld. The PS5 largely is a PS3, just easier to develop for and cheaper to buy. The fundamentals are the same, though. Outside of Nintendo branding, the Switch is neither a Wii nor a Wii U.

What both of them did was capitalize on what their strengths were. Sony has no equal in the home console space and Nintendo has no equal in the handheld space (hybrid or otherwise).

Last edited:

wolffy66

I doubt we see another xbox. It would be crazy for anyone to spend any more money in the ecosystem when the could go pc or Sony instead

Draugoth

Gold Member
Soon:

Uh2DphZ.jpeg

Nydius

Fucking hell.

The denialism about Phil Spencer is insane. He is responsible for this. He runs Xbox.
Right? I just don’t get how people are believing Spencer doesn’t have a part in this. His job title is literally “CEO of Microsoft Gaming”. He’s part of the executive board. There’s no way he was somehow left out of this.

He’s also been pretty damn silent since late last year.

Woopah

Was it though.

I still see blurays everywhere, which they get royalties from.
It wiped out a lot of the PS1/PS2 profits, but did recover in its later years.
The difference is I'm talking traditional vs handheld. The PS5 largely is the PS3, just easier to develop for. The fundamentals are the same, though — console. Outside of Nintendo branding, the Switch is neither a Wii nor a Wii U.
Nor does it need to be. The PS2 was less traditional than the GameCube, the Wii was less traditional than the PS3 and the Wii U was less traditional than the PS4. But all those consoles competed in the market like Switch and PS5 do today.

Nintendo could have made more mistakes with the Switch (like they did with the Wii U) and been less effective at competing. But that isn't what happened.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nor does it need to be. The PS2 was less traditional than the GameCube, the Wii was less traditional than the PS3 and the Wii U was less traditional than the PS4. But all those consoles competed in the market like Switch and PS5 do today.

Nintendo could have made more mistakes with the Switch (like they did with the Wii U) and been less effective at competing. But that isn't what happened.
Oh, I agree. Nintendo are better off for capitalizing on what their strong suits were. Folks "worried" about a future where they and PlayStation rule this industry are forgetting that these are the two companies who have provided the best exclusive content to date and I don't see any reason that would cease!

Last edited:

Woopah

Oh, I agree. Nintendo are better off for capitalizing on what their strong suits were. Folks "worried" about a future where they and PlayStation rule this industry are forgetting that these are the two companies who have provided the best exclusive content to date and I don't see any reason that would cease!
Exactly. Both of them will fight to keep content away from the other, and that will result in more funding going to their own and other developers.

Humdinger

That's cool, I hope so. Although he does say "is considering," and big companies "consider" all sorts of things. Doesn't mean it's a done deal.

Iced Arcade

Just name the next Xbox "early access box"

Seriously if this is the case, they just need to bow out of hardware, no one is chucking $500+ on an Xbox console when eventually you can play on PlayStation. Lol

DKPOWPOW

The strange part for me is that if you look at this impartially, all this actually represents is MS' fully committing to the Gamepass/XBL business.

Arguably a more rational strategy than how things stand today.

Look at it this way: MS' pitch is that Gamepass is THE all-in-one gaming offer. One that doesn't need a major spend on hardware to jump into, but covers everything from smartphones to high end PC, and is the best deal on the market. They back this up with the premise that thanks to their raft of world class studios, you get to play the best stuff on there, first.

None of this mission statement demands they not take advantage of the userbases of their former competitors in the console space. In the long term they may even find themselves in a position where they can demand that Gamepass be allowed on systems built by these competitors too thanks to the precedent set by the EU calling the appstore a monopoly.

This may seem an especially compelling argument if in the long term they can show their console business is no longer directly competing.

The reality is that ultimately if they were to "win" the console war by obtaining such a dominant market share the Nintendo and Sony could no longer afford to manufacture hardware of their own, their IP would likely end up on sale. Something that could represent a massive opportunity for another tech giant to step-in and use that to bolster a competing service to Gamepass.

What I'm getting at is if MS honestly believe Gamepass-type digital services are the future, this is a natural step.
Unfortunately, yes it would seem so. I think MS is bowing out because they think consoles are inevitably going away pretty soon.

Nintendo is the last hardware maker who still keeps it's games on its own platforms (besides the meh phone games).

Sony has already started to port their biggest exclusives to PC. MS been doing that with PC & Xbox, stretching out to the other platforms makes sense if they figure the time of traditional consoles is coming to an end.

MS wants to be ahead of the curve, they bought out all these studios, not to be the hardware king. They did it to become the biggest game publisher in the world.

I mean, let's look at it this way.

The iPhone that came out last year can run RE4R. 5 years from now a cheap phone could probably do the same thing.

How much better do you think games are gonna look in 5 years? Is the PS6 really going to be that much better? When this current Gen has been struggling, really struggling to show a true generational leap in power?

If this gen is the start of diminishing returns, what's the next gen like? And the one after that?

10-15 years down the road... We are likely looking at a point where you can probably stream great looking single player games off your TV app.

Who cares if it doesn't look quite as crisp as it would as a $4000 PC. There will always be enthusiasts, and chasing them is a fools errand most the time.

The masses will be quite happy buying a TV and subscribing to GamePass. That's the end game right there. What MS is betting on is my guess.

Will it happen? Who knows, PlayStation without a competitor makes the odds better though from my viewpoint.

Nintendo marches to the drum of their own beat, only one who could possibly still put out a console and succeed in a future like that. But will they sell enough? Will their hybrid really be that much greater than the phone you hold in your hands 10 years from now?

Of course, VR could come to play as a deciding factor of whether consoles survive or not.

But anyways, while the fanboys rally over a win and a loss. It seems most are blind to what this could actually mean. It's not a good thing. It was bad losing SEGA in 2000. And it's bad losing XBOX as we know it.

im honestly in shock, theres too many of these to be fake. It seems like its happening for real.

This is gonna change gaming forever, kinda nuts
Honestly if you haven’t already prob best time to buy some Microsoft Shares in the long run the amount of revenue they’ll be bringing it…

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
i dunno, I thought this was bound to happen. Not if but when.

I mean a lot of gaming enthusiasts are way overestimating the Xbox’s popularity but in reality, they’re mostly unknown in many parts of the world compared to PS and Nintendo. It’s popular in US and UK sure, but everywhere else?

I mean it’s pretty obvious like Xbox heavily advertising the Persona 3 to Persona 5 ports worldwide only for Switch to get the sales more, probably even much more.

The way I see it, Xbox is niche and not as casually spoken like the PS5 and Switch.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't know how Microsoft endlessly continues to suck so badly at communicating to their consumers. These rumors/leaks have been persisting for weeks at this point. Absolutely ridiculous for them to have not addressed this by now.

Last edited:
I’m afraid this was MS plan all along, they will have monopoly in gaming with the ABK acquisition, the CMA guys have been fooled. They already did it with OS and office software, their software have been installed on millions if not billions of PCs even though MS have their own hardware lineup (Surface).
giphy.gif

Fucking failiure is this guy. A complete fraud.

J. Allard and Peter Moore had more of an understanding of the Xbox brand than this fucking tool.

I feel so vindicated every single day for selling my Xbox. Thanks Phil.

I sold my Series S a while ago. Fantastic console but a the time I had it i was mostly playing 3rd party games and 0 Xbox exclusives. Did love the quick resume feature though. That is a game changer.

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

Well, I'll put it this way.

It'll be good for the games MS puts out because the games will probably be better. They likely will put more attention of curating their line-up. Instead of trying to attract buyers to their console.

But the console industry will probably suffer. Sony without competition does not give me a good feeling.

Remember CRABS? $599? Boomerang controller?

If it wasn't for the 360 (and the Wii) kicking their ass for almost an entire generation we would not have had a PS4 or a PS5 like what we see today.

You can't get even get a port of MGS4 after 15 some years cuz the PS3 was such a pain in the ass to make games for.

XBOX hasn't been the same since the One. Definitely not. The magic they had for the first 2 gens of entry seemed lost.

But they still made moves that forced Sony (and to a lesser degree Nintendo as well) to compete and change.

I do not like Microsoft as a company. But I do think the the Xbox division has a done a fair amount of good for the industry. To see it go is a shame in my eyes. MS is in full control and that's even worse.

Im

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you just look at things objectively, like:

1. They implemented their full game release strategy last year (Starfield/Redfall/Forza) and it was disappointing both reception and sales wise and console sales collapsed while PlayStation set a new record.
2. They are a software company that spent $70B on a software company last year.
3. They've dealt with this situation before - when Windows Phone bombed they pivoted to make their software available on iOS and Android and are now bigger than ever.

It just makes sense. They cannot spend $200 million+ on these games and release them exclusively on a platform with a shrinking user base full of people they trained not to pay money for them. It just doesn't work. I really think this is the right move for them and probably what they should have done instead of releasing the Series systems.

Nydius

But I do think the the Xbox division has a done a fair amount of good for the industry.
As a counterpoint, they’re also responsible for two of the worst elements in the industry:

Paywall subscription for multiplayer access and timed exclusive DLC for multiplatform games. They pioneered the former with Xbox Live Gold and engineered the latter with COD timed exclusive DLC on the X360 to retain their edge against the PS3.

Top Bottom