• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Microsoft is considering bringing Indiana Jones to PS5, several months after the Xbox / PC release as part of new strategy

Interfectum

Cracking Up Lol GIF

DJ12

I guess all those queasy stomachs will be fine with the first person view now :lollipop_baby_angel:
lol, everyone already knew MS was going third party when it was shown, why not just accept people thought that way, without it being related to console warring as your little chicken brain seems to be insisting.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I would love if Sony made some big changes, they can start with removing the additional PS+ tiers.

I would also like to see all of PS+ go, along with paid online subs but that’s probably a bridge too far at this point.

Having no competition is not gonna lead to them becoming more consumer friendly lmao

NEbeast

All the xbros finally realising MS fucked you. Your ss/sx is irrelevant. MS don't care about you. You were a stepping stone for the ABK acquisition.
200.gif

xrnzaaas

I would love if Sony made some big changes, they can start with removing the additional PS+ tiers.

I would also like to see all of PS+ go, along with paid online subs but that’s probably a bridge too far at this point.
If Sony loses its main console competitor they're going to milk their customers even harder. Isn't that obvious considering how many anti-consumer moves they've already made this gen after "winning" the battle with Xbox last gen?

Saber

Gold Member
All the xbros finally realising MS fucked you. Your ss/sx is irrelevant. MS don't care about you. You were a stepping stone for the ABK acquisition.

They don't care about their fanbase, their employees and probably don't care about ABK and regulators either. They are willing to burn money just to see their plans of dominance going to fruit.

200.gif

Many of who you speak of will cheer them on, “games everywhere “ conveniently failing to acknowledge they are already on millions upon millions of PCs and phones as it is.

They clearly barely give a shit about the console , all that potential wasted.

as someone who prefers consoles all I ever wanted was for them to be the best it could be along with PlayStation and Nintendo

Last edited:

Woopah

The PlayStation empire is absolutely dominanting

Sega - Defeated and forced to go 3rd party

Nintendo - Damaged and forced to become a hybrid handheld/console to stay alive

Xbox - Defeated and surrendering as we speak.

Next up is the PC market against Steam and Tencent and the Mobile markets.

Can PlayStation rule the world?
Nintendo and Sony are about equal and the console market and I don't see either of them dominating the PC or mobile markets anytime soon.

nemiroff

Gold Member
That would be most excellent.

Artificial console exclusivity keeps dying, consumers win, console warriors lose.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nintendo and Sony are about equal and the console market and I don't see either of them dominating the PC or mobile markets anytime soon.
I agree with him if we're talking home consoles. Without a handheld component, Nintendo would struggle against PlayStation. You're right on the second half, though.

Schmendrick

MS games have been on PC for a long time anyways. Putting it on one more platform doesn't really make a difference anymore.
Overall this sounds like going 3d party with extra steps.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Nintendo has the most loyal base but PlayStation is getting all the 3rd party games. Nintendo could not do that so they went a different direction. Lower gen hardware and portable domination. If Nintendo go head to head against the PS6 and release a truly next gen console, they would lose against PlayStation because most of their base love portability. Nintendo going latest hardware tech = they would need to make a separate Portable console thus splitting their player base.

Last edited:

Nydius

The Beginning of the end of the Xbox??
The beginning of the end was the Xbox One and the complete clusterfuck surrounding it. We’re well past the beginning and likely well over the hump.

They’ve thrown so much money at hardware only for the gap between PlayStation and Xbox to wide. They’ve thrown money at creating Game Pass only for it to not really take much hold on PC and plateau around 30M total subs. Their last ditch effort was all these acquisitions but now it seems people inside Microsoft (and important shareholders, I imagine) have come to realize they’d make a hell of a lot more money from all those acquisitions selling games where people are actually buying them.

Woopah

I agree with him if we're talking home consoles. Without a handheld component, Nintendo would struggle against PlayStation. You're right on the second half, though.
With the Wii U Nintendo did indeed struggle a lot against PlayStation. But with the Switch they have a big chunk of the console market.

They fact that its hybrid design is one of the reasons for Switch's success doesn't change the reality that it has a bug chunk of the market. Just like there are several reasons why PS5 has a big chunk of the market.

Nintendo has the most loyal base but PlayStation is getting all the 3rd party games. Nintendo could not do that so they went a different direction. Lower gen hardware and portable domination. If Nintendo go head to head against the PS6 and release a truly next gen console, they would lose against PlayStation because most of their base love portability. Nintendo going latest hardware tech = they would need to make a separate Portable console thus splitting their player base.
They follow different strategies, but that's always been the case. The PS1 didn't compete with the N64 by copying Nintendo's strategy, but by doing something different yet successful. Same with the PS2 competing with the GameCube or the Wii competing with the PS3.

Both companies are successfully competing by playing to their strengths.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
With the Wii U Nintendo did indeed struggle a lot against PlayStation. But with the Switch they have a big chunk of the console market.

They fact that its hybrid design is one of the reasons for Switch's success doesn't change the reality that it has a bug chunk of the market. Just like there are several reasons why PS5 has a big chunk of the market.
If the Switch was another Wii U or even or Wii, it's highly unlikely that it would have hit the highs that it has.

As a hybrid, yes, it has a big chunk of the market, which is why they can co-exist and PlayStation wouldn't be this "runaway train" that the fearmongers are saying it would become.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

It was the fact of having ‘competition’ that brought about the anti-consumer moves such as
PS++ and buying studios.
Yes Deluxe and Premium were an answer to Microsoft's Game Pass, but Sony could introduce the higher tiers without day1 games AND facilitate a massive PS+ price increase. This wouldn't have happened if they weren't so cleary in the lead, because otherwise people would show them the middle finger and pick Xbox.

If there's no competition from the Xbox on the console market they'll have even more freedom how to increase their profits, because people will only be able to choose between staying with them and switching to PC gaming.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The strange part for me is that if you look at this impartially, all this actually represents is MS' fully committing to the Gamepass/XBL business.

Arguably a more rational strategy than how things stand today.

Look at it this way: MS' pitch is that Gamepass is THE all-in-one gaming offer. One that doesn't need a major spend on hardware to jump into, but covers everything from smartphones to high end PC, and is the best deal on the market. They back this up with the premise that thanks to their raft of world class studios, you get to play the best stuff on there, first.

None of this mission statement demands they not take advantage of the userbases of their former competitors in the console space. In the long term they may even find themselves in a position where they can demand that Gamepass be allowed on systems built by these competitors too thanks to the precedent set by the EU calling the appstore a monopoly.

This may seem an especially compelling argument if in the long term they can show their console business is no longer directly competing.

The reality is that ultimately if they were to "win" the console war by obtaining such a dominant market share the Nintendo and Sony could no longer afford to manufacture hardware of their own, their IP would likely end up on sale. Something that could represent a massive opportunity for another tech giant to step-in and use that to bolster a competing service to Gamepass.

What I'm getting at is if MS honestly believe Gamepass-type digital services are the future, this is a natural step.

bitbydeath

Yes Deluxe and Premium were an answer to Microsoft's Game Pass, but Sony could introduce the higher tiers without day1 games AND facilitate a massive PS+ price increase. This wouldn't have happened if they weren't so cleary in the lead, because otherwise people would show them the middle finger and pick Xbox.

If there's no competition from the Xbox on the console market they'll have even more freedom how to increase their profits, because people will only be able to choose between staying with them and switching to PC gaming.
I think most people knew day 1 games on services was a death knell, MS was just hoping they could spend Sony out of business and it failed.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Its not official until it's official, but SenjutsuSage has been in denial and it's going on a huge rant on twitter. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I comment on one Xbox fanboy tweet and his stuff keeps showing up on my timeline. Funny.

reinking

Gold Member

Video Games Nintendo GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Top Bottom