• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Warren: Microsoft is considering bringing Indiana Jones to PS5, several months after the Xbox / PC release as part of new strategy

I’m afraid this was MS plan all along, they will have monopoly in gaming with the ABK acquisition, the CMA guys have been fooled. They already did it with OS and office software, their software have been installed on millions if not billions of PCs even though MS have their own hardware lineup (Surface).
giphy.gif
Bingo lol I’m sure the fanboys are mad but strictly business this move makes sense. I do hold a lot of Microsoft shares so I welcome this.

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

As a counterpoint, they’re also responsible for two of the worst elements in the industry:

Paywall subscription for multiplayer access and timed exclusive DLC for multiplatform games. They pioneered the former with Xbox Live Gold and engineered the latter with COD timed exclusive DLC on the X360 to retain their edge against the PS3.
I honestly think if hadn't been for Xbox Live, Nintendo and Sony would not have been forced into creating their own habitats for online gaming. We could have gone possibly 2 generations without a decent online ecosystem for console gaming.

I mean look how backwards Nintendo was towards online in the beginning. Imagine if Xbox Live wasn't pushing them. We might not have played an online Nintendo game until 2018.

Sure it sucks paying $50 a year for it, but I'd take that over being 2 or 3 gens behind.

I'm not a fan of paid DLC in general, so I will give you that.
But I think PC paved the way for that with expansions in the first place. It's a double edged sword in my eyes.

LordCBH

Considering how badly Dial of Destiny flopped, I would go with No

To be as fair as possible, Dial of Destiny was also a shit movie and followed a long string of other shit movies disney had pumped out. It probably wouldn’t have set the world on fire if it was a great entry in the IJ franchise though, but we never got the chance to find out.

Killjoy-NL

Pretty weird seeing such an amount of mediocre games create such a shitstorm. Lol

Edit:
Double-post, I need some more coffee.

Last edited:
Bingo lol I’m sure the fanboys are mad but strictly business this move makes sense. I do hold a lot of Microsoft shares so I welcome this.
Agreed, the fanboys will be crying but the money comes from software sales. Console makers tend to lose money on hardware. They’re not here to please the gamers as they always say.
The new empire has arisen.

Raonak

Banned
Ironic isn't it. The ABK merger was the death of Xbox as we knew it.

For the first time, Xbox actually had the expectation of making money. A stable return from a 70 billion years purchase. It has to finally owe it's shareholders.

Activision, Bethesda, Mojang, etc. they all became valuable because they release on all platforms. They cannot actually afford to be exclusive.

The layoffs was only the first step.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They are going to buy up every publisher in the industry and just become 3rd party. No one off limits

Raonak

Banned
Man. When is MS gonna address this? I know it's only a rumour. But it feels like all but confirmed.

MS wants Xbox to become Netflix. It has been their play for the last 2 generations. They didn't care about hardware. But noone realized this is what it meant. The full 3rd party move was foreshadowed pretty heavily.

Killjoy-NL

Man. When is MS gonna address this? I know it's only a rumour. But it feels like all but confirmed.

MS wants Xbox to become Netflix. It has been their play for the last 2 generations. They didn't care about hardware. But noone realized this is what it meant. The full 3rd party move was foreshadowed pretty heavily.
And those who have been saying this for years were labeled 'fanboys' and some were even banned for it.

tomorrow...well today in about 6-10hours ?

Should really just come out with a blog post this week about it

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ironic isn't it. The ABK merger was the death of Xbox as we knew it.

For the first time, Xbox actually had the expectation of making money. A stable return from a 70 billion years purchase. It has to finally owe it's shareholders.

Activision, Bethesda, Mojang, etc. they all became valuable because they release on all platforms. They cannot actually afford to be exclusive.

The layoffs was only the first step.
In reality, it was not Xbox that acquired Activision-Blizzard-King. Turned out that it was ABK that acquired Xbox.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

They are intentionally just putting feelers out there, doing these controlled leaks, to create a cushion for themselves and craft their messaging as well.

There is also a strong possibility that they leak more than what they intend to do at this stage. For example, Microsoft leaks that Indiana Jones is also coming to PS5 this year. Then when Microsoft announces that Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves are coming to PlayStation, they refute the Indiana Jones rumor and say something like "Indiana Jones is not coming to PS5 this year. Those rumors are wrong."

That will give Xbox fans a (fake) sense of relief, and that'll make it easier for them to accept Hi-Fi Rush and Sea of Thieves going multiplatform, as in "phew, at least it is not Indiana Jones as well!"

Classic consumer psychology manipulation 101.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So this goes down today? At least something mildly entertaining on monday

Killjoy-NL

Well you better hope they sell well (which is no guarantee for a lot of the games given the level of quality), if not then there's a high probability you won't even be getting gamepass anymore.
Xbox excels at mediocrity.

I'd be really surprised if Xbox titles on PS aren't going to be duds.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Xbox excels at mediocrity.

I'd be really surprised if Xbox titles on PS aren't going to be duds.
And if Xbox games don't sell well on PS and Nintendo either, it will be even funnier than this.

Xbox will be having lots and lots of layoffs, games cancelations, studio closures, and price hikes. They won't get lots of games on Game Pass either at that point.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They will make so much bank but I didn't see Microsoft accepting a 30 percent platform cut. I guess they finally reached fuck it.

Killjoy-NL

And if Xbox games don't sell well on PS and Nintendo either, it will be even funnier than this.

Xbox will be having lots and lots of layoffs, games cancelations, studio closures, and price hikes. They won't get lots of games on Game Pass either at that point.
I was just talking about this with a co-worker who's a massive fan of Diablo.

He was saying it didn't really interest him, until I pointed out what you just said.

It's going to be a shitshow if we'll see that scenario play out.

Also, just imagine Sony and Nintendo rejecting GP.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

He was saying it didn't really interest him, until I pointed out what you just said.

That is pretty much guaranteed. Sony is in a partnership with Ubisoft for Ubisoft+ Classics, and PS still doesn't have Ubisoft Premium. Game Pass is never coming to PlayStation, at least not in this form.

And I have very little hopes of XGS games selling well on PlayStation either. Most of them are just not good enough to compete with PlayStation's games on an even playing field.

Consumers have only so much money. Will they spend it on Wolverine, Death Stranding, Venom, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade or Halo Infinite, Gears of War, Forza, Redfall, Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, or Sea of Thieves!

For the same reason, I also expect lots of these games to become available on PS Plus relatively soon.

Last edited:

I think some will be successful. I'll actually be surprised if Starfield is a huge hit on PS. I think launching later + word of mouth right now means it'll launch without huge numbers, unless expansions get excitement going again/ fix things

Hi Fi Rush deserves numbers, but not sure it'll get them.

Indiana Jones launching day and date has a chance though. I'll give it a buy.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think some will be successful. I'll actually be surprised if Starfield is a huge hit on PS. I think launching later + word of mouth right now means it'll launch without huge numbers, unless expansions get excitement going again/ fix things

Hi Fi Rush deserves numbers, but not sure it'll get them.
On the contrary, I believe Starfield would have sold really well if it was a day one release.

Now that the hype is over and people have see how undercooked and last-gen that game actually is, I don't believe PS5 gamers will bite as much.

Last edited:

twilo99

Fanboyz will be melting all over the place..

Not sure what they are doing with the single player games, but anything that’s GaaS/live service or whatever we are calling it, should be accessible from all available platforms..

On the contrary, I believe Starfield would have sold really well if it was a day one release.

Now that the hype is over and people have undercooked and last-gen that game actually is, I don't believe PS5 gamers will bite as much.
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's launching when the word of mouth is poor, excitement is dead. If it had launched day and date, yeah, it would have sold well.

amigastar

It's funny, while MS and Sony are fighting over the first place in console war, Nintendo assured them a place with unique hardware and great games on the side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom