• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

More taxing than Crysis 3 with tessellation and TressFX on.

TressFX looks nice in screenshots but the result in motion is not very convincing I must say. The shadows look off, the hair reacts weirdly to the environment.

It's a step in the right direction.

So the recommendation for mid-range pcs is definitely to turn off tesselation and TressFX? Would the game still look good without?

Mithos

Also, does anyone else get artifacting on Lara's face with tesselation on?

Yes, black pixels flashings, so I turned it off.

i7 930 @ 3.5GHz, 6GB ram, GTX 660 Ti 2GB vram.

My game settings.
LwE0or7.png
CC5DZlx.png

What are your specs, I got i5 3570K 8G ram and a 660ti, I consider it mid range.

Ha, lower than that. I have a single 560ti, decent quad core, but I only play on 1440x900 which allows me to crank up my settings more. It's amazing what I can get from that bad boy at that resolution sometimes.

I suppose I am fast approaching have low range specs, though.

elbourreau

Ha, lower than that. I have a single 560ti, decent quad core, but I only play on 1440x900 which allows me to crank up my settings more. It's amazing what I can get from that bad boy at that resolution sometimes.

I suppose I am fast approaching have low range specs, though.

You'll have to make some compromise, but you can have a pretty gorgeous 50/60fps run (lower shadows, turning SSAO off, no tess, no precision stff, etc....) (maybe some dips on the very open space, but not so violent...).

Even with these nerf, will look superbe!

Eideka

Banned
What the heck does high precision do? Can't even really tell watching the benchmark, and I get 15fps for turning it off.
No idea. Probably related to post-processing.

Also, does anyone else get artifacting on Lara's face with tesselation on?
Same here, and same with Deus Ex HR back in August 2011.

What the fuck have Nixxes been doing ? Really disappointing.

So the recommendation for mid-range pcs is definitely to turn off tesselation and TressFX? Would the game still look good without?
Don't worry it looks really good even with tessellation and TressFX turned off. And it should run very well on your machine.

Everything Maxed, including TressFX on and Trippel buffer @ 1080p:

AMD FX-4100 4-Core 4.2 ghz
20 gb HyperX ram
GIGABYTE RADEON HD7970 OC 3GB

min: 7.4 <- this minimum thing is pretty silly since it never goes lower then 50.
max: 60.4
avg: 55.2

Refresh rate set at 60.. waiting for dual link cables..

Ryuuga

Banned
GTX 570
8GB

Ultra - Tress OFF, DoF OFF

I get a decent 45-60, but I'm bothered by the copious amounts of screentearing. Any way to resolve this?

CoolS

Ill ask here as well:

The foliage on my PC keeps flickering like crazy. Anyone else got this problem?

I have a 560Ti if that helps. Maybe I should try the new Beta drivers.

Addnan

Tressfx has a serious impact on performace. All settings max, tressfx on, tessellation on, V-sync off I got 38 fps average but with tressfx off I got 58fps average. That's a pretty big impact for just hair. (3570K@4.5 and GTX 670).

Lime

Game works fine on unlocked X3 720 and a 6950 with everything on except Depth of Field. Getting around 30-40 fps.

If you alt-tab the game gets graphical issues. This might be the explanation for some people getting stability issues, in case they alt+tab a lot.

Mithos

Remember how "we" used to put in a Nvidia card like GTX 8800 to take care of PhysX when your main card was ATI.

Maybe its possible to do the same but backwards for tessFX ?

;P ;P ;P

DieH@rd

Banned
Well this sucks. Ultimate preset @1080p and FXAA, only 30fps average.

i5 3570k @4.2GHz HD 7850 Crossfire @ 1GHz.

:/ I expected a lot better, at least close to a 7970....

Your expectations were wrong. Low midrange card cant get same performance as best highend card.

Damian.

Banned
1080p Ultra TressFX w/ FXAA, High Precision disabled

~45fps

1080p Ultra TressFX off FXAA, High Precision disabled

~68fps

i72600k@4.6 680 @1240 (314.14)

Not as bad as I was expecting. This benchmark works the hell out of my card. A constant 99% GPU usage throughout the benchmark.

For gameplay I will be opting for tressfx disabled so I can play at a locked 1080p60. Game looks great except for some texture flickering on Lara and some foliage. Hopefully I can play with tesselation turned on without crashing.

K' Dash

i5 2500K
7850 2GB

Everything maxed, except SSAO which is on normal and tressfx off, I get constant 48-60fps with the rare dip to 30.

This is when playing the game with fraps, not the benchmark

JackyD

Neo Member
After a reg hack I was finally able to access the game options uncheck "xclusive fullscreen" an run the benchmark:

XU88Sf3.jpg
sj0k10r.jpghttp:

DSX4Exz.jpg

Specs are:

i7-3770k @ 4.8GHz
8GB Ram
GTX690
Win8 64
Drivers 314.14 beta
Screen Res 1920x1200

Edit: Just saw that I had LoD only on high instead of ultra, ran the Benchmark again but results stayed the same, well avg FPS dropped to 50.7 :D

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
my specs:

Intel i7 3.2ghz
AMD 7970
12GB of Ram
and my resolution is 1920 x 1200 (though I do plan to play this on my 40" Bravia, just waiting for my extended HDMI to arrive from Amazon)

with TressFX (and everything maxed out)

8531315560_c9c0fea362_c.jpg

Without TressFX (and everything maxed out)

8531315512_a1c980b5e1_c.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If someone could explain me what exclusive full screen and High Precision means I'd be forever grateful :)

Disabling exclusive fullscreen means you're running the game in bordeless window mode. The option toggles regular fullscreen, in other words. As for the high precision setting:

I'd assume it increases the amount of samples used in post-processing effects such as motion blur and depth of field.

I have:

Core i5 2500k
8gb DDR3
EVGA GTX670 FTW version (with the 4 gigs over the 2 gigs, and the factory OC)

I also have a 1440p monitor

is this gonna be playable at high if I turn of AA and stuff?

looking for a baseline here

edit: if witcher 2 is any indication i'll also turn off tesselation

Id like to have fancy hair but if its too much of a system hog Its not a big deal

scitek

In case anyone was wondering, I benchmarked with the old drivers (314.07) with my settings and got an average of 83fps. Tried after installing 314.14 and got 87.

Vitor711

I've read about Nvidia 6xx series users having crashes with this game, anyone have that experienced? I have a 680m so am wary to go into it if I incur the same issues.

A friend of mine has the same laptop and keeps having a weird graphics issue where the game just becomes 4 big blocks on screen, despite it still clearly running underneath (even the QTE prompts appear fine). His GPU is overclocked to hell though whereas mine is at stock clocks so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Damn.
This game is something else.

The graphics put crysis 3 to shame. Definitely had my mouth open staring at the screen for a while (not just because of Laura). It doesn't stop there, the animation, environment interaction, physics, etc - so well executed. I wonder how more incredible this game could have been had they not padded it with useless multiplayer.

The TressFX thing: definitely adds something to the game. Going back to regular hair just seems bleh. I know it sounds silly, but it adds more depth to the character and makes it easier to connect with her - she seems so incredibly human...

I honestly want to have her babies.

Playing with a 7850 overclocked to whatever AMD overdrive lets you. Haven't tried playing around with the voltages, but perhaps I should as my card doesn't get hotter than 64 C. Getting a rather unstable ~ 35-40 frames, so I hope there is a patch that can give me consistent 40 fps or so. Seems the hair thing really kills the framerate, especially in moments when you zoom in on her face (but worth it).

Ummm.. no.

Eideka

Banned
Tessellation off and TressFX off, FXAA at 1080p and I get 60fps 99% of the time.

Almost two hours and no crashes. Drivers 314.07

I'm satisfied.

dEvAnGeL

Tessellation off and TressFX off, FXAA at 1080p and I get 60fps 99% of the time.

Almost two hours and no crashes. Drivers 314.07

I'm satisfied.
same here, also some sweeyFX love ;P

sweetFX on

Knm.png

sweeyFX off

Lnm.png

this game looks absolutely stunning with sweetFX, after you use it you cant go back

Looked through 3 pages, didn't see this. Can't even get the game to get past the open scene of play-options-quit-etc. Keeps saying "Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings".

i5-2320 and a NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 550 Ti.

Any ideas?

DSmalls84

When I launch Tomb Raider it defaults to my Intel integrated card instead of my 660ti. I have my nvidia software set to prefer maximum performance. Anyone have any ideas? At this point I can't even launch tomb raider.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looked through 3 pages, didn't see this. Can't even get the game to get past the open scene of play-options-quit-etc. Keeps saying "Failed to initialize Direct3D with current settings".

Any ideas?

Disabling exclusive fullscreen should do the trick.

Any ideas?

I remember someone said it had something to do with exclusive full screen being checked? I am not 100% on this but give it a try.

Hope it helps you.

GTX 570
8GB

Ultra - Tress OFF, DoF OFF

I get a decent 45-60, but I'm bothered by the copious amounts of screentearing. Any way to resolve this?

Seems like decent FPS (I have basically the same setup - 2500k/570/12GB).

Is there no vsync option?

same here, also some sweeyFX love ;P

sweetFX on

Knm.png

sweeyFX off

Lnm.png

this game looks absolutely stunning with sweetFX, after you use it you cant go back

I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be looking at...

edit: nvm, easier to see in the re-sized quoted pictures. Looks very very nice.

lunchtoast

Core i5-750@3.8ghz
660Ti (factory overclocked)
12GB Ram
installed on SSD (Samsung 830)
Win7 x64

I'm ~1 hour in and the benchmark seems to be accurate, no dips so far. Needed to turn off Tessellation (crashes), can't see the 'High Precision' difference (saps ~10-15fps) and I'm having a hard time spotting a difference between 'Normal' & 'Ultra' DoF (~5-10fps). FXAA does a surprisingly good job, but whatever, I can't effort SSAA anyway. Let's hope Nixxes gets the Tessellation crashes fixed. TressFX (at least on nvidia cards) looks like a no-go.

Thanks for the info. I have a similar setup to yours. Will probably try on ultra with tess/tress turned off and tweak from there. High precision can go off too since no one seems to know what it does or any difference.

Durante

Any guesses as to what High Precision does?
Just guessing from the name (I don't have the game yet) I'd say it uses 16 bit per component (instead of 8 bit) buffers for the rendering/postprocessing. If so, you should see the largest difference in HDR effects, and maybe some postprocessing-induced banding without high precision.

JackyD

Neo Member
After a reg hack I was finally able to access the game options uncheck "xclusive fullscreen" an run the benchmark:

XU88Sf3.jpg
sj0k10r.jpghttp:

DSX4Exz.jpg

Specs are:

i7-3770k @ 4.8GHz
8GB Ram
GTX690
Win8 64
Drivers 314.14 beta
Screen Res 1920x1200

Edit: Just saw that I had LoD only on high instead of ultra, ran the Benchmark again but results stayed the same, well avg FPS dropped to 50.7 :D

I've run the benchmark again this time with V-Sync off:

XovubKQ.jpg

settings are the same as above

Dewoh

Neo Member
Is anyone else getting an audio buzz while playing? I find it real annoying.

I'm sure it's the game. No other games/programs do it.

Top Bottom