• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PC Performance Thread

prophecy0

Well, it sucks this probably wont be patched in the next couple of days. Going go be busy the tail end of this week/weekend. Theses crashes are so frustrating.

Has anyone else tried rolling back to 310.90 drivers? Keep reading that those on that driver aren't getting crashes with tesselation.

I've been using the 310.90 drivers on a GTX 680. I haven't encountered a single crash two hours or so into the game, but I turned the following off from the start:

- High Precision
- Tessellation
- TressFX

The game still looks stunning and I haven't had any performance issues. This is at 1920x1080.

Yuripaw

Banned
Just started playing this morning...I'm not sure what was happening, but the game was running fantastic for me mostly at 1920x1080 on Ultra settings, but shortly after getting the bow, the performance was really starting to take a dive for me. Shut the game down cuz I was afraid it might crash. It was becoming unplayable :(

I dunno why, might have something to do with my computer not able to take the stress, because I do have a old ass CPU, and fairly old RAM. Video card is only thing my computer really has decent in it.

Even still while I was playing, I gotta say I am damn impressed with how good this game looks so far. I wasn't really expecting much from this game.

593B72E50C01A344D1C3316F941D81D57A1AFED0

Eideka

Banned
I've been using the 314.07 drivers on a GTX 680. I haven't encountered a single crash two hours or so into the game, but I turned the following off from the start:

- High Precision
- Tessellation
- TressFX

The game still looks stunning and I haven't had any performance issues. This is at 1920x1080.

Same drivers here, no problems at all as long as tessellation is turned off. This thing crashes my game in about 25 seconds, I couldn't even run the benchmark !

TressFX on the other hand does not seem to cause any problems aside from butchering my framerate.

Only had a crash when on High/Very high settings. On Medium/High works fine. There is an issue somewhere.
As a comparison, played Crysis 3 on High/Very High and not one single crash.

prophecy0

Same drivers here, no problems at all as long as tessellation is turned off. This thing crashes my game in about 25 seconds, I couldn't even run the benchmark !

TressFX on the other hand does not seem to cause any problems aside from butchering my framerate.

I was wrong about the 314 drivers. I'm actually on 310.90 :/ . It really is looking like tessellation is main culprit when it comes to crashing.

game runs great on my 7970 at ultra with hair tech. I like the art direction in this game a lot :D and this SMAA is really great at killing the jaggies without a performance hit,.

Erebus

My GTX 460 is really struggling to keep steadily at 30fps.

What's the most taxing option? Also what does "High Precision" do?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
game runs great on my 7970 at ultra with hair tech. I like the art direction in this game a lot :D and this SMAA is really great at killing the jaggies without a performance hit,.

Yeah, they definitely nailed the art direction. Art can take you very far, and it takes TR for miles.

No problems with the latest 314.14 drivers with SLI GTX560s, tessellation on as well. 3D vision works well for the most part. Some minor issues with water and light rays. I'm glad they didn't limit it to AMD hardware only.

Seriously guys, this game looks great on normal settings. My wife has a 660m 2gb and textures on Ultra, everything on normal, dx11 features off, fxaa, triple buffering and it still stands up to my rig with the stuff on.

JRW

Anyone notice the game pushing GPU temps higher than normal?

I'm running an overclocked GTX 480 (775 / 1900) and the highest temp Ive seen was 91C after extended sessions with Crysis 3, but with Tomb Raider its reaching 95C.

I enabled the software fan curve adjustments in evga precision earlier which seems to of did the trick (87C max now in Tomb)

But still find it interesting Tomb raider is pushing the card harder than Crysis 3..

statham

running a stock phenom x6 2.7, 8gb ram, 7850 2gb overclocked about 20%. Running @ 1600x900, everything ultra including hair has not dropped below 35 fps besides cutscenes where it sometimes hits 27 which I wouldn't of noticed if I didn't turn on fraps, very happy.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

I'm running an overclocked GTX 480 (775 / 1900) and the highest temp Ive seen was 91C after extended sessions with Crysis 3, but with Tomb Raider its reaching 95C.

I enabled the software fan curve adjustments in evga precision earlier which seems to of did the trick (87C max now in Tomb)

But still find it interesting Tomb raider is pushing the card harder than Crysis 3..

Don't the 480's naturally run at a higher temp due to the nature of the card?

Varna

Looks like no tesselation is the only way I can play. Tried the latest official, newest beta, 310.90 and 311.06 and they all have problems. The newest ones have crashing with tessellation enabled. The older two give me some bad texture glitches like so...

It's strange, but I can have tessellation on with the ultimate settings and not get these issues. But if I enable SSA x2 it happens. However, if I have tessellation disabled I can enable SSA x2 without problems too. :/

Deepo

Happens to me with TressFX on. GTX 690. Runs cool with TressFX turned off.

Varna

You running with FXAA? I'm using SSA x2 and this is the hottest my 690 has ever gotten in actual games. 76c or so, not bad I guess. It's heading outside of my comfort zone though.

AEREC

i7
GTX 460 1 gb
8gb ram

Set to ultimate (highest setting) and turned off tesselation and tressfx...feels like I get a solid 60 at 1368x720.

MaLDo

Looks like no tesselation is the only way I can play. Tried the latest official, newest beta, 310.90 and 311.06 and they all have problems. The newest ones have crashing with tessellation enabled. The older two give me some bad texture glitches like so...

It's strange, but I can have tessellation on with the ultimate settings and not get these issues. But if I enable SSA x2 it happens. However, if I have tessellation disabled I can enable SSA x2 without problems too. :/

Maybe is a problem of vram. Then game show problems when use more than your real amount.

Deepo

You running with FXAA? I'm using SSA x2 and this is the hottest my 690 has ever gotten in actual games. 76c or so, not bad I guess. It's heading outside of my comfort zone though.

Currently running with FXAA, yeah. Hovering around 76c as well, but the GPU usage is insane. Around 98% on both cores almost constantly when there's close up of ShampooFX. Nothing to say on the SLI scaling at least.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hey guys, have an official statement from NVIDIA HQ RE: Tomb Raider issues.

We are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings.

Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

Please attribute to NVIDIA if you republish.

Slacker

Anyone know what exclusive fullscreen does?

It means "not fullscreen windowed mode." Uncheck that and you can alt tab out easier but it may cost you a bit of performance. I usually only play in that mode for games like TERA where I'm flipping in and out a lot.

Vitor711

Bought the game for myself and I also have crashes. Disabling tesselation fixed it for me.

Performance is also weird. With FXAA, no tesselation and normal hair, I can get a constant 30FPS at 1920x1080 with everthing else maxed out whether in gameplay or cutscenes.

In fact, if I enable the special hair effect thing I also get 30FPS during gameplay but this takes a nosedive in cutscenes I lose around 10FPS in both the benchmarks and cutscenes with it enabled, despite not taking any performance hit in game.

Anyone know why this is? Are they enabling more shadows or something during cutscenes? Because the hair looks fantastic and right now, I'm having to manually turn it off and on again every time there's a break in the gameplay which is becoming a little tedious.....

I doubt there's any way for me to force the game to switch back to the normal hair during cutscenes automatically?

Eideka

Banned
Hey guys, have an official statement from NVIDIA HQ RE: Tomb Raider issues.

Please attribute to NVIDIA if you republish.

Thank you for the update, and sadly this was to be suspected that Nvidia couldn't optimize their drivers for the game given the AMD partnership.

I read on forums that AMD didn't receive final code of games like Batman Arkham City or Just Cause 2 for instance, both TWIMTBP games.

This seems to be common practice.

JRW

Don't the 480's naturally run at a higher temp due to the nature of the card?

Yea they're not the most efficient cards, 95C is still "Safe" for a GTX 480 but Ive had it since 2010 and never witnessed it run that hot is all I was saying. Tomb Raider is the first game to do it.

Thanks I'll try it without , not sure I even like it anyhow considering the performance cost & strange hair behavior.

nbthedude

I am on a i7 920 with a 7970GZ and 4gb of RAM and I can run it with pretty much everything maxed including the hair physics and I have not noticed a drop in frame rate at all yet.

However, I am not sure I like the hair physics. They are kind of distracting and sometimes look wierd.

Glad to see Nvidia acknowledge the issue quickly. I haven't even booted the game up yet so I think I'll wait until they get a new driver released before diving in. I still have Metal Gear Rising and Crysis 3 PC to play through anyways...

kinggroin

Banned
Just started playing this morning...I'm not sure what was happening, but the game was running fantastic for me mostly at 1920x1080 on Ultra settings, but shortly after getting the bow, the performance was really starting to take a dive for me. Shut the game down cuz I was afraid it might crash. It was becoming unplayable :(

I dunno why, might have something to do with my computer not able to take the stress, because I do have a old ass CPU, and fairly old RAM. Video card is only thing my computer really has decent in it.

Even still while I was playing, I gotta say I am damn impressed with how good this game looks so far. I wasn't really expecting much from this game.

That area keeps getting quoted (probably because nvidia users can't make it past that), but it looks absolutely dreadful.

The cave interior and forestry areas when hunting, THOSE look amazing.

Yuripaw

Banned
That area keeps getting quoted (probably because nvidia users can't make it past that), but it looks absolutely dreadful.

The cave interior and forestry areas when hunting, THOSE look amazing.

So wait...my performance issues might be related to something other nvidia users are experiencing also? I'm running a gtx 560ti, and in an area right after getting the bow...I went under ground in that shack, got the axe thing, and went up a ladder, and that's when it went to crap. Like i mentioned in my previous post, i just shut the game down afraid it was going to crash.

kinggroin

Banned
So wait...my performance issues might be related to something other nvidia users are experiencing also? I'm running a gtx 560ti, and in an area right after getting the bow...I went under ground in that shack, got the axe thing, and went up a ladder, and that's when it went to crap. Like i mentioned in my previous post, i just shut the game down afraid it was going to crash.
My bud has a nearly identical setup to mine and his copy crashed or went into polygon-tango mode just after exiting the cave. Similar symptoms when your card is overheating. He's rocking a gtx680

Tiberius

I am on a i7 920 with a 7970GZ and 4gb of RAM and I can run it with pretty much everything maxed including the hair physics and I have not noticed a drop in frame rate at all yet.

However, I am not sure I like the hair physics. They are kind of distracting and sometimes look wierd.
@stock ?

gdt

This game doesn't start for me if I'm using Big Picture...but it mostly starts if I'm on the regular Steam skin.

Yuripaw

Banned
My bud has a nearly identical setup to mine and his copy crashed or went into polygon-tango mode just after exiting the cave. Similar symptoms when your card is overheating. He's rocking a gtx680

hm, it wasn't like that for me. The visuals still looked good, but the framerate just tanked. It was like not able to maintain a performance for the game. Pausing it made the game go back to normal, and i was able to get back to the main menu and everything appeared to be running normally, it's just when running the game, or during the next cutscene that it dropped so bad.

gdt

When I actually get to play the game (finished up a two hour session not too long ago) it runs awesome for me.

Danj

Seriously guys, this game looks great on normal settings. My wife has a 660m 2gb and textures on Ultra, everything on normal, dx11 features off, fxaa, triple buffering and it still stands up to my rig with the stuff on.

I'm going to try this next, so far I've only managed to achieve single digit framerates with my poor old 5850 :(

Top Bottom