• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PS4 Pro version vs PC Maxed out 4k screenshot comparison

Ophiuchus

They've increased the intensity value for the blue light. Only rising brightness on the pc shot you can find the spot where the light case reach the light point and the separation line fades. This way the face is nearly identical. Obviously the background is wrong because is far away from the light but is affected in this fake edit.

ddteoaj.jpg

Original for comparison

rottrcomparison2krphp.png

This is far better.I knew that something is wrong but could not say so.

Well, everything. And especially lighting, reflections and overall IQ.
Just open them in new tab and zoom to 100%. PS4 Pro screenshot look like it's 1080p upscaled.

No it doesn't. Looking at it fitted to 1080p there isn't any noticeable aliasing. It looks like the sharpening filter and film grain aren't playing well with the checkerboard upscaling.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the lighting and the textures are obviously worse compared to the PC version.

Yeah, the checkboard rendering mode will eat up a lot of GPU time since they are rendering from a much higher resolution by default. If Mankind divided gets a 1080p mode however, i would like to see them include more graphical enhancements closer to the higher end PC release

But the main problem with the IQ is that the sharpening filter isn't playing nice in general with the image. I wish they never included that

Lister

Banned
It's weird people are trying to compare the PS4P's "4k" with actual PC 4k and then bringing in the price of a high end PC for actula 4K.

There's nothign stopping you from upscaling and reaching similar results with lower end hardware, for a LOT cheaper thana 1080ti.

And games on PC are already doing things similar to checkboard upscaling too.

So you're back to square one. It's not PS4P 4K vs PC GTX 1080 + i7 @ 4K.

It's PS4P "4K" vs equivalent PC @ 4k (likely an i3-i5 + AMD 480 GTX 1060.

I think even so the PS4 is great bargain because a 480 + i3-i5 is probably going to run you more than the $450 (PS4P + subscription) but then there's also a lot ofther pluses to PC gaming outside of the downside of upfront cost.

But that's not what this thread is about.... is it? I'm so confused.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Off topic but Mankind Divided screenshot was released and it's not pretty:

image_deus_ex_mankind_divided-32977-3207_0001.jpg

Similar from PC for comparison:

DXMD_2016_09_08_21_16_11_611.jpg
Based of off Leadbetter's impressions on DF yesterday, it sounds like the Pro version of Deus Ex needs a lot of work compared to the other games on display. Maybe Nixxes can help out there too.

nOoblet16

Off topic but Mankind Divided screenshot was released and it's not pretty:

image_deus_ex_mankind_divided-32977-3207_0001.jpg

Similar from PC for comparison:

DXMD_2016_09_08_21_16_11_611.jpg

The problem with the pro shot is that it is using that sharpening filter which can't be disabled in console version. The scaling artifacts might be causing due to that filter.
It also may be that they turned off volumetric lighting for 4K mode, but it can also be that the volumetric lights become more intense if you are closer to them (I don't remember it well enough to say this for sure, which is odd considering I've played that game so much)

That screenshot looks amazing, it's crazy to think that consoles have overtaken PC graphics again so soon. I know it took PC a couple years to catch up to PS4 graphics after it launched, how long do you guys think it will take PC to catch up to PS4K this time? I'm assuming it won't take as long due to it not being as large of a jump as PS4 and the CPU not receiving as large an upgrade.

Wait a minute. . .its not april 1st!

Buburibon

I'm playing on a GSYNC monitor with an Xbox 360 controller. Any dips to the high 50s would be imperceptible.

Mine is running at 1950/11,000mhz. Playing on everything max including VXAO.

2) If you look at benchmarks, you will see the Titan X is very consistent when it comes to minimum fps. At my overclock settings, it will never once dip below 50fps in the entire game.

Right, so we agree that even an OCed Titan XP cannot maintain 60fps at all times at 4K/max settings.

Sanctuary

1) I don't care what most people use. I am obviously well entrenched in the enthusiast camp. Besides, even without GSYNC on a tv, this PC would provide a better gaming experience than the Pro ever could.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the Pro over PC or any of that. I was only commenting on the claims that even a Titan X can maintain 60fps at 4K, and it can't. There won't be a single slot solution until most likely whatever the flagship after the 1080 Ti is. You're an enthusiast? Congrats? I won't game below 60fps on PC.

Obviously.

It's up to the buyer to decide whether it is worth it paying 3+ times as much for the difference in the OP.

Personally I play both consoles and PC so I'm really happy about the PS4P, means a higher baseline for my gaming and much better IQ.

Really only need to spend twice as much to get native 4K/30 starting from zero. If your going the upgrade route and selling your old PS4 or GPU your looking at $200 to go from a PS4 to PS4 Pro and $200-250 to go from a 970 to a 1070.

Sanctuary

It can..just not at max settings.

Not this nonsense again. If you aren't going to be using higher than console settings at 4K, you may as well just drop it down to 1440p. The largest difference in the resolution bump from 1440 is aliasing anyway. If you're using a TV, it's a lot harder to notice compared to two feet from a monitor.

Not this nonsense again. If you aren't going to be using higher than console settings at 4K, you may as well just drop it down to 1440p.

Why? Some people like the clarity of 4k and the smoothness of 60fps

If that means dropping down a few settings to high than it's totally worth it.

Not this nonsense again. If you aren't going to be using higher than console settings at 4K, you may as well just drop it down to 1440p. The largest difference in the resolution bump from 1440 is aliasing anyway. If you're using a TV, it's a lot harder to notice compared to two feet from a monitor.

"Not ultra" can still be higher than console settings.

Regarding the OP, is it just me or is that a terrible shot for a comparison? Surely there are better scenes with more detail to compare.

killatopak

There's not much of a subjective visual difference between up-scaled 4k vs. native 4k as opposed to the relative power required but your argument about value falls apart the moment any game developer/Nvidia/AMD implements the option to use the same type of up-scaling in PC games. At that point you'll be getting cheap PC's pushing the same "4k". Personally, this brings to the forefront my main gripe with the pro of not supporting 4k blu ray.

that upscaling is patented.

It's good to keep in mind that, if you're viewing these images at 1:1 on something other than a 4K display (say, a 1080p display), you need to view it from twice as far so features retain the same angular size they'd have on a 4K display - or resize the images to 1080, obviously.

BigEmil

On Tomb Raider it can. A 1080 already comes close, like 50+ fps.
Jheeze lol then comparing the PS4 Pro to the most costly top end GPU out now what is the point? I doubt anyone here runs Tomb Raider at 4k 60fps and max settings.

Probs just for a screenshot people turned it up while running at 2fps

platina

Here i am giggling because yes, the pc version does look crisper...but the difference is somewhat slim which is a revelation in an of itself considering how much money you need to pour into a rig to run the game like the screen shot maxed out, 4k, and a constant 30fps. I'm more impressed with what the ps4 pro is doing compared to the brute forcing ways of an expensive pc.It should be a given that pc should look miles ahead with everything maxed...but it really doesn't.

alexbull_uk

Honestly for a £349/$399 console I'm impressed.

Making direct comparisons to the game running on a PC that probably has GPU that costs more than the entire PS4 Pro is more than a little bit unfair.

Nzyme32

The background in PC looks like shit. Why does the PS4 pro look better?

That's depth of field - by design, bokeh and other dof effects are there to accentuate the foreground and blur the background similar to what happens when you focus on anything close up. PS4 Pro is using a lower quality varient. On the PC you can have higher quality options or can turn it off altogether.

IMO those depth of field effects and bokeh are fantastic, especially at a high quality and in motion.

joecanada

Really how much though? An i3 and 1060/480 outperforms the Pro as-is.

You're still looking at 700-800 min here in Canada. I should know I just built mine for about 1000. My 1060 was 340 alone and I waited a month checking prices daily.

However ps4pro is probably 499 too here.
PlayStation consoles always seem to represent pretty good value imo .... These screens back that up. It's more important to compare what you get vs an og ps4 and it looks pretty good.

I don't need one but looks worth the price

Honestly for a £349/$399 console I'm impressed.

Making direct comparisons to the game running on a PC that probably has GPU that costs more than the entire PS4 Pro is more than a little bit unfair.

It's not really intended to be unfair, it's mostly to see how the rendering techniques utilized on the PS4 Pro version of the game holds up compared to a native 4K image, and it holds up very well. It's not as good but it's a very good offering, especially for the price of the console.

The PS4 Pro is a great value machine, I was expecting around £250-350, and £400 at the most.

A similar spec'd PC would cost around £100-200 more.

LordRaptor

I think even so the PS4 is great bargain because a 480 + i3-i5 is probably going to run you more than the $450 (PS4P + subscription) but then there's also a lot ofther pluses to PC gaming outside of the downside of upfront cost.

But that's not what this thread is about.... is it? I'm so confused.

The weirder thing is the people making such a big deal about price already own PS4s and probably paid launch pricing for them, so their TCO is in the $900 range already (minus whatever trade in they get on their now defunct launch units)

Cidd

Not even GTX 970 can do max settings 4k.

People saying they can do max settings 4k 60fps must have like a $1500 PC possibly more.

A GTX 1080 can't even maintain 4k at 60fps and that's a $650+ GPU yet some here act like a $400 console should lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Difference between them and Sony's is that there's no cost to their method of upscaling.

So? As long as the cost is less than actual 4K and is reasonable for the GPU in question it's an option. You know...like devs already have been doing in PC games.

Jheeze lol then comparing the PS4 Pro to the most costly top end GPU out now what is the point? I doubt anyone here runs Tomb Raider at 4k 60fps and max settings.

No it runs really well for me at 4K Ultra

ViolentP

40-50fps actually.

Top Bottom