• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remastered releases 09/04/20

This looks SO good! Has a remake by a different developer ever paid so much respect in-game to not only the previous games in the series, but also the original developer? I guess it helps that there are members of the team that once worked at Neversoft, but this is above and beyond.

They do have some history with the games, VV did the flat out excellent GBA ports so the passion is real. This will turn out amazing.

Blond

Banned
I hope there's a race mode for Downhill Jam and Mall, I can't be the only one who raced his cousin in those stages time and time again.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Quanta, mesons, hadrons, photons, neutrons, electrons and protons combining to form
Atoms and molecules and compounds and cells, tissues and organs in a system of a being
And on the planet earth, spinning around its axis, revolving around the sun, revolving around
The center of the milky way galaxy in a supercluster of galaxies will it ever be you and me here and now?

I hope there's a race mode for Downhill Jam and Mall, I can't be the only one who raced his cousin in those stages time and time again.

We know they're making improvements to create a park mode. Perhaps we'll even be able to build our own races. If not, I would imagine you could still build your own races in traditional levels with some agreed upon rules. Go here, then here, then here, and then back to the start. Maybe use graffiti mode to mark each spot as you come to it. There should be a lot of possibilities with this game.

Also, for those of you all who like spicy food, this apparently is a thing. Order the Tony Hawk Burrito from the Chipotle app and get the warehouse demo without pre-order. Should be good for those who never played a game in the series, but kind of pointless for those who know they want the game already. It's also sounds like it's only for the first 2000 orders, which seems a bit low.

would buy THPS2 on switch in a heartbeat, HD or just a port tbh

I don't want anything on my switch that doesn't have 500+ hours logged into it, and thps2 was the pinnacle of skating games, epic arcade-style replayability

...if I know activision, and my gba copy of the game says I do, I just might get my wish! <3

The demo is all over you tube today, and with it we just got a ton of new information. Here's a bunch of details I've compiled, and some of it is very good news.

The main menu lists "single session," "Skate tours," "multiplayer," and "create a park."

The demo is the standard two minute run. You can only play as Tony Hawk, and you can't increase your stats.

Demo has four songs: Superman, Guerrilla Radio, Afraid of Heights, lose control

There's a gap list, and it also keeps track of the total number of times you've hit each gap.

There are four views: Near, low, far, and default.

There's a legacy moveset for THPS1 or THPS2, which would suggest each level can be played one of three different ways. Not known if the goals change for each, though. There are no goals in the demo aside from being your own high score. I can only hope there are at separate leaderboards for each moveset in the full game. Even if there aren't, we now know you can play the game and limit the moves to what actually appeared in the original games. That means optionally no manual in THPS1, and no revert in THPS2.

The touchpad is listed as "social" in the controller layout menus.

You can invert either the X or Y axis.

Skaters can set up to 10 different special tricks. At default you have three special tricks, two remaining slots are unassigned and unlocked, and five more are locked.

There are all sorts of assists for perfect balance, always special, no bails, etc.

After your run, you see the "current run" and "best run" stats for the following: single session, total score, longest grind, longest manual, longest lip, and best combo. Each of these also has an "experience" column, and there's an overall dollar amount that looks specific to your profile. In the demo, it looks like you get five dollars for each run. Best combo for that run includes not only the number of tricks, but also the specific order of every move in that combo string.

If I had to guess, I'd say the the XP system will likely be used to assign an overall player level, while the dollar system will likely be used to purchase cosmetics, stats, and new boards. It's hard to tell for sure from the demo, though.

Under Tony Hawk's stats, there are a number of interesting meters that say the following: "challenges completed 0/0" (likely because this is a demo), "trick slots earned 0/5," "Exclusive boards earned 0/9," "exclusive gear earned 0/2"

Tony Hawk has two locked outfits in the demo, in addition to his standard outfit.
Outfit 2 is unlocked for beating Tony Hawk's "Go for the Gold" Challenge.
Outfit 3 is unlocked for beating Tony Hawk's "Original Competition" Challenge.

Let me know if you guys spot something that I missed. There's loads of new video out there now.

Last edited:

M.W.

Damn it, gonna have to pre-order to get in on the beta. Looks incredible.

Also,

https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/12/21363724/tony-hawk-remaster-demo-impressions-1-2-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Sounds great, plus this quote, which is the key to this remaster:

“We dug into Neversoft’s codebase, we were able to pull the handling code out of there, bring it into the engine that we’re in now and update it to make sure that we are making that feel exactly the way you remember it but updated with modern animation

Last edited:
This demo should be free for everyone, I wonder why they didn't include THPS3 as well. That would have made it a day one for me.

I think there's a good chance they make the demo free after the game has been released, but they've not confirmed that just yet.

As for THPS3, they're still including the revert which didn't appear in the series until that game. The Remake is also only 40 dollars and it includes an online create a park mode, so it should have plenty of content for that price.

I thought I'd just be getting a basic graphics comparison here, but this is easily the most detailed look at gameplay differences that exists today. I hope they fix the issue where a pivot doesn't change the direction you need to fall during a manual to end your combo without bailing, but it really is a fairly small complaint. I seem to remember usually jumping out of manuals to end combos anyway.

The space walk might be nice, but it's yet another in a long series of moves added to the game to remove any sense of planing to your combo lines. You shouldn't be grinding your combos to a full stop while in a manual anyway. If it never gets added to the game, I won't personally miss it.

Last edited:

Phase

This'll be cool for nostalgia's sake. I might pick it up but Session and Skater XL are filling that spot rather well at the moment.

bender

What time is it?
Cool but 3 and 4 were the pinnacle of the series.
giphy.gif

Nymphae

Banned
I'm so ridiculously excited for this now, I forgot it was coming out and it getting a physical release makes it even better for me. Going to preorder it tomorrow.

Can't wait to rock old man Geoff Rowley, always used him back in the day, used to wear Rowley Vans too. Darkslide all day baby.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm so ridiculously excited for this now, I forgot it was coming out and it getting a physical release makes it even better for me. Going to preorder it tomorrow.

Can't wait to rock old man Geoff Rowley, always used him back in the day, used to wear Rowley Vans too. Darkslide all day baby.
Are you getting the CE with the deck?

bender

What time is it?
Funnily enough that's the board I bought when THPS1 originally released on Dreamcast and I decided to recapture the glory days of my youth and pickup skating again. Unfortunately somewhere in my twenties I developed fear.

Abear21

Banned
THE release of the summer! Really looking forward to this even though I’m loving Skater XL, it’s a totally different playing game and $40 is reasonable, so how can I resist?

Two mins on the demo for a preorder bonus is stingy, why the limit? I tell my wife two minutes is a long time though so I shouldn’t complain!

Top Bottom