• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Asian? - An Article on Universities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zzoram said:
I do go out to pubs for a pint and cheap wings. I did it yesterday. I mostly do it with my white friends since they mostly don't want to do anything that doesn't involve drinking. My asian friends prefer going to a cafe for coffee and a dessert. There are exceptions, some of them are up for a good Settlers of Catan or LAN party night every now and then. My asian friends mostly don't drink, they LAN starcraft or play Settlers of Catan over snack food and casual discussion. They also watch TV shows together and discuss them. I enjoy both activities, I just don't like getting drunk or clubbing. Every time I go to a club with friends we have to yell at each other and only hear half the words even then. I find that the opposite of social, nobody can talk.
Good man; I despise clubbing for the same reason.

Johann said:
I've never understood the claim that Asians are too specialized in academics. There used to be a time when they focused solely on rout memorization (the "Asian are good at math" meme) but now Asian applicants to college have very well rounded background (their parents know how to game the system).
wat

rpmurphy

I don't know about others, but the issue is that with a sizable Asian group, people start feeling that they do not have to break out of their comfort zone and interact with other ethnic groups to function in school, which is the major priority due to culture. A lot of the older students would find the socialization incentive to be a waste of time. It's more or less a thing with the environment people grow up in.

CrankyJay

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
But are you Asian? Would they be as likely to invite you to lacrosse and rugby parties if you were "the Asian guy who plays Starcraft"?

They might if I talked to them during class or went out to parties when I wasn't playing Starcraft.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SabinFigaro said:
A lot of asian parents these days push their kids to go to extracurriculars too, all for the sake of having something on their college transcript.

Halycon said:
A lot of asian parents these days push their kids to go to extracurriculars too, all for the sake of having something on their college transcript.
To be fair, for most post-grad programs, this is true for everybody. When an application lists 48 spots for "extracurriculars", you can be damn sure that most people will find some way to fill those spots. No ancient Chinese secret here.

Coeliacus

ATF487 said:
My experience:

It's not really "Asians" but "foreign asian students" that segregate themselves heavily. I knew lots of foreign students from China that would be afraid to talk to ol' whitey but I also knew lots of second/third generation asians that would be much more likely to intermingle. And then I knew some foreign students that would open up when approached, so uh, it sort of depends
QFT
Then again I have to wonder how different it is overseas when Melbourne feels like its half asian these days anyway.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Johann said:
I've never understood the claim that Asians are too specialized in academics. There used to be a time when they focused solely on rout memorization (the "Asian are good at math" meme) but now Asian applicants to college have very well rounded background (their parents know how to game the system). They're in leadership positions, sports and other extracurricular activities. All of this is on top of the fact that many of them come from poor families in which English is not the primary language.

I'm especially bewildered that they claim Asians don't party or get hammered. A lot of them can't hold their liquor though.
ya this is bullshit with the ones i know.

asian glow lights up toronto on a saturday night

myself included.

harSon

Banned
salva said:
Really? I'm still waiting for UCSC's decision. I've never heard anything about Santa Cruz. Is it a nice school?

The campus itself is ridiculously beautiful and the city itself is awesome, education wise, it depends on your major, but pretty much all of the UCs outside of Riverside and Merced are relatively good. This is my first quarter though, so I don't really have much of a sample size to give an opinion on.

Haly

To be fair, for most post-grad programs, this is true for everybody. When an application lists 48 spots for "extracurriculars", you can be damn sure that most people will find some way to fill those spots. No ancient Chinese secret here.
The parents are all interconnected on the Asian Parent Grapevine.

The moment one of them gets wind of any possible weakness their kids' transcript might have, the news spreads like wildfire.

I think this is one examples of the main differences in how various ethnic families treat academics.

Johann

SabinFigaro said:

The objective criteria for getting into most elite schools is well known to the public. High GPA, excellent standardized test scores, leadership qualities, strong letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities to round out all the academics. You'll see parents encourage (i.e. force) their children to participate in extracurricular activities to diversify their transcript.

It's dilemma that college admissions face since there is no impartial way to reject many accomplished, well-rounded Asian applicants.

Ulairi

Banned
I went to UC Berkley which is considered an "asian" school I guess and from my experience Asian Americans partied just like all the rest of the Americans but Asians from Asia tended to hang out with each other and not party as much as the Americans. But, when I'd go out with my wife and her friends they'd go clubbing but they'd go to actually dance and a lot of them wouldn't drink. They'd also have house parties but instead of just getting drunk they'd play Killer games, KTV, and have activities.

Zzoram

Good point on asians catching up in extracurriculars. In the face of descrimination, they just double down and work harder by keeping up grades but adding in the school band and hospital volunteer work or something.

SRG01

Dear God, Asians don't party? Since when? Considering that most of us Asians are missing a certain enzyme in our liver, we actually get drunk faster than most. :lol

College the only place where white people are the minority,
Valid only in Math Economics Biology Physics and Engineering

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
SRG01 said:
Dear God, Asians don't party? Since when? Considering that most of us Asians are missing a certain enzyme in our liver, we actually get drunk faster than most. :lol
seriously? i didnt know that.

i think im missing it too :lol

harSon said:
From what I've seen personally, UC Irvine is absolutely awful in this regard.

I'm a student at UCI, and the above is probably true for the fobby asians. Americanized asians are pretty social.

School is 56% asian, and it's in So Cal.

It depends on the culture too. The school I go to is fairly segregated, but with the Greek system the way it is, it's pretty obvious why.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
velvet_nitemare said:
I'm a student at UCI, and the above is probably true for the fobby asians. Americanized asians are pretty social.
This is pretty much true for the west coast in general. Asian-Americans generally have no issues hanging out with other ethnic groups.

Halycon said:
The parents are all interconnected on the Asian Parent Grapevine.

The moment one of them gets wind of any possible weakness their kids' transcript might have, the news spreads like wildfire.

I think this is one examples of the main differences in how various ethnic families treat academics.
Yeah I seriously hate that shit when growing up. My kid is better then yours crap and have your parents rub it in your face as well.

Thai

Bane was better.
half of this article is about pressure parents put on kids (asian or otherwise), the other half is about White Flight from certain universities.

Haly

Crakatak187 said:
Yeah I seriously hate that shit when growing up. My kid is better then yours crap and have your parents rub it in your face as well.
"Why can't you be more like your friend and get good grades?"

Thai said:
half of this article is about pressure parents put on kids (asian or otherwise), the other half is about White Flight from certain universities.

Yeah, I dont think anyone read the article.

The first half is racism central.

"I dont want to go to x university because they have colored folks there"

Then it sorts of morphs into "asians study too much" and "people for cliques"

Superman00

Liverpool01
I'm finding a lot of what people saying pretty ironic. It seems like people are stuck on either "asians" are this or that. I live in Northern VA near DC. There is big asians population here. I have a lot of asians, black, latino friends. However, I have very few white friends. Just seems like to me, white people tends to stick to themselves too, not just other groups. Asians around here party like crazy, but at the same time, they just happen to study like crazy when they aren't partying.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Crakatak187 said:
ya the status stuff in chinese culture sounds kind of sucky, ive seen the effects of it too.

if i had parents like that i feel id be kinda tempted to just be a hobo

Zzoram

-COOLIO- said:
ya the status stuff in chinese culture sounds kind of sucky, ive seen the effects of it too.

if i had parents like that i feel id be kinda tempted to just be a hobo

Again that's a bit of a stereotype, not all asian parents are like that and some are a little but not too extreme.

It is true in my Asian community. News spread like wildfire. My family gets shunned by the Asian community because of a freaking divorce.

Not all parents are like that, but there are a lot out there. It's funny how some brag about how much better their children are when they don't even know what the hell their children does.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Crakatak187 said:
It is true in my Asian community. News spread like wildfire. My family gets shunned by the Asian community because of a freaking divorce.

Not all parents are like that, but there are a lot out there. It's funny how some brag about how much better their children are when they don't even know what the hell their children does.

I agree, I can't stand older asians people sometimes. They talk way too much and spread rumors way too much. It's just so damn annoying.

Lunchbox

Banned
does canada imply asians as people from the indian subcontinent like british people, or far eastern like the US?

i read through several articles from different sources where they were talking about different people and i was thinking about the other

Zzoram

Lunchbox said:
does canada imply asians as people from the indian subcontinent like british people, or far eastern like the US?

i read through several articles from different sources where they were talking about different people and i was thinking about the other

In Canada Asian means East Asian (China, Korean, Japan, Vietnam, etc). We generally use the term Indian for people from India, and Natives for Native Americans.

Johann

Lunchbox said:

The largest Asian group in Canada is Chinese followed by Indian/Pakistani. Koreans and South East Asians also have significant populations. I believe use of Asian is similar to that of its use in the US.

Thai

Bane was better.
Zzoram said:
In Canada Asian means East Asian (China, Korean, Japan, Vietnam, etc). We generally use the term Indian for people from India, and Natives for Native Americans.

red flag, sir. First Nations!

elcapitan

Even though I'm Asian (Vietnamese), my parents are pretty chill. I think they would prefer that I become a doctor or whatever, but they just let me do whatever I want. Never felt pressure from them.

The ones who self-segregate are usually the foreign ones like it was mentioned earlier. Asian-Americans have no problems intermingling.

Korey

Um....a lot of Asians I know party and drink. And they can do that and excel at school at the same time.

Honestly, this news article sounds like one of those bullshit human interest stories you always see where one bored journalist will make up a narrative out of thin air and fish for quotes from three random people and write a whole article about it as if it applies to the entire population.

Mikey Jr.

This Indian girl got like 101% in one of her math classes in high school. They couldn't fit 3 digits on the report card, so they put a 99% and attached a note to it saying that she actually got 101%. lol.

Zzoram

Mikey Jr. said:
This Indian girl got like 101% in one of her math classes in high school. They couldn't fit 3 digits on the report card, so they put a 99% and attached a note to it saying that she actually got 101%. lol.

A prof said in class today he doesn't like giving _9 marks. He then clarified to say he rounds up 49, 59, 69, 79, etc. He never mentioned 99 but that's the one I wanted to know about :lol

harSon said:
I'm not sure about Canada, but within the United States, or at least California, large blocks of Asians tend to restrict their socializing to other groups of Asians. I personally never had trouble penetrating those circles, considering I am part Japanese, but I have noticed that I'm the elephant in the room/odd man out when hanging with some Asian friends.

From what I've seen personally, UC Irvine is absolutely awful in this regard.

University of Chinese Immigrants
University of Civics and Integras

:lol

I was definitely the same way as you were when I attended UCI early in the decade. Even though I was Filipino, I never really hung out with with the Asian crowds as they tended to be pretty xenophobic, especially when 60% of the total population of campus was Asian back then. But it did tend to be those who were not really Americanized, etc.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
asians killjoys? Maybe i felt this too at one point....till i went to a japanese wedding...wtf 10 hrs of toasts and partying ..damn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The article is strange because it doesn't differentiate between Asian Canadians and international students. I think if you remove the foreign students from the numbers, the actual number of Asian students in universities would be much lower (especially in the sciences).

Zzoram

Also "Asians" is a pretty broad term. Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Phillipino, Cambodians, they're all pretty culturally different and have insanely different languages that mean they can only speak to each other in English.

Zzoram

firehawk12 said:
The article is strange because it doesn't differentiate between Asian Canadians and international students. I think if you remove the foreign students from the numbers, the actual number of Asian students in universities would be much lower (especially in the sciences).

Ya probably, but even second and third generation Asians seem to trend more towards valuing education even if they mix in more clubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom