• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human IGN video - RPG Systems, Gameplay, Arenas & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdouble

Draft said:
I think it's just a byproduct of making an action RPG that you're not playing from an isometric perspective, or that only has one attack animation per weapon.

What's unfortunate is that while I can understand WHY the animation is shitty, I don't think that exactly excuses its shittiness. They wanted to use the DMC/NG camera and they wanted to give you DMC/NG style attacks, but they didn't follow through with DMC/NG animation, and so, you have, Too Human.

I disagree that you can compare it to DMC/NG. Those animations are canned for each attack and combo. This system uses the control stick and they don't know exactly what you are going to do next. Its gonna look a little weird when you try to predict what the play is going to do or what they could do. Then you add in special attacks into any part of the normal attacks and you have a whole new problem.

Zabka

godhandiscen said:
Yes, its an online RPG over everything. I do not know why you set your expectations high on the action elements. The game from the beggining was deemed as an action RPG, meaning Diablo style of gameplay. Do you go into WOW threads an criticize the animation? This may clearly not be your type of game.
Diablo had air juggling? Must've missed it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Zabka said:
Diablo had air juggling? Must've missed it.
So that automatically puts it in DMC/NG territory? Its just another type of attack. It doesn't mean that the game is the next fix for NG/DMC fans.

soldat7

Looks like Too Human is back on the map for me.

I am curious as to why this still looks like an Unreal 3 Engine game though...

Put me in the cautiously optimistic camp.

I'm not going to run out and pre-order it, but I'm really looking forward to the demo (assuming there is one).

Zabka

godhandiscen said:
So that automatically puts it in DMC/NG territory? Its just another type of attack. It doesn't mean that the game is the next fix for NG/DMC fans.
At the very least it opens it up to comparisons.

It's directly lifting elements from modern action games (camera movement, combo meters, air juggling, scripted kill sequences) and mixing it with dungeon crawler collect-a-thons. If it wasn't trying to do more with the combat than games like Diablo, would there be nearly as much interest in it?

Plus the animation isn't bad in comparison to DMC and NG. It's just bad. I'm looking forward to the final product though, because I hope it's still fun in spite of it looking so sloppy.

Vish

Banned
godhandiscen said:

I like how the devs talked about that being a possibility though.

keanerie

Draft said:
I spent a LOT of time over the weekend beating Diablo 2 + LOD with my brother, and man, let me tell you: that draw, that item draw, seeing the tiny little helmet on your dude change, seeing that differently colored shield, it's a powerful thing. Powerful.

This is the truth.

As a rabid Diablo fan, I'm pinning a lot of hopes on this one. So far it looks like it might be what I want it to be - nothing's ever going to come close to D2 until D3 comes out, but this looks like it'll fulfill that loot lust well enough, and seems like it might have some nice combat to boot.

sprocket

Banned
Frame rate looks awful.. other than that it looks like an awesome dungeon crawler!

Is there still going to be co op in this game?

adelante

soldat7 said:
Looks like Too Human is back on the map for me.

I am curious as to why this still looks like an Unreal 3 Engine game though...

i'm pretty sure their new engine doesn't retain much similarities with UE3 in terms of architecture...but that doesn't mean they have to rework on their assets like textures, character models, etc.

SPEA

sprocket said:
Frame rate looks awful.. other than that it looks like an awesome dungeon crawler!

Is there still going ot be co op in this game?
Awful? Looked pretty smooth to me.

And yes, 4 player online co-op.

XHitoshuraX said:
The only issue for me, from a design stand point is the lack of and limit of animations.

Considering all the different weapons that need to be taken into consideration and the fact that you need to be able to bounce back and forth between multiple enemies like Geometry wars so to speak I think it's perfectly fine.

This is pretty much a more action heavy world of warcraft from a gameplay perspective.

Mashing

Who gives a shit. great animation is not really necessary in this type of game. Man, I'm really hyped for this game after seeing the videos and hearing more about it from the developers.

GhaleonEB

Watched a couple of vids. Looks good. It's moving from "on the radar" on up to "tentative purchase". The demo will make or break it. I'm not a fan of the animation either, as it just looks...unfinished. But it's a flaw I can live with in what looks to be a wonderfully deep action RPG.

GhaleonEB said:
Watched a couple of vids. Looks good. It's moving from "on the radar" on up to "tentative purchase". The demo will make or break it. I'm not a fan of the animation either, as it just looks...unfinished. But it's a flaw I can live with in what looks to be a wonderfully deep action RPG.

Nice avy Ghaleon though I will miss the obligatory halo ones and the fanboy piss matches that follow anything you post.

gfdoom

sprocket said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30753.html

the very first 2 secs shows both frame stuttering. And a big frame hit when the hammer lands.
i def' see the framerate problems, and one thing i've noticed with alot of ps3/360 games is that their frame rates are well below alot of old gen ps2, xbox, and gcube games. I don't understand with alot of these dev's as to why they strive to have the highest poly, sharpest texture massive worlds pushed to the limits but worry about framerates later which then suffers. COD4 is one of the real true current gen shinning lights on how to do a excellent game with the added technology! They were able to have a ton of things happen on screen at once while 99% locked at 60frames per second.

gfdoom said:
i def' see the framerate problems, and one thing i've noticed with alot of ps3/360 games is that their frame rates are well below alot of old gen ps2, xbox, and gcube games. I don't understand with alot of these dev's as to why they strive to have the highest poly, sharpest texture massive worlds pushed to the limits but worry about framerates later which then suffers. COD4 is one of the real true current gen shinning lights on how to do a excellent game with the added technology! They were able to have a ton of things happen on screen at once while 99% locked at 60frames per second.

Rose-tinted glasses. Shadow of the Collosus was horrible, DMC3 had tons of slowdown, Killzone was glitchy as hell.

sprocket

Banned
Secks4Food said:
Wow, the things that count as "awful" around here.

well a game like this framerate is everything.

Still this looks to take the place of games like CHAMPIONS OF NORATH and I LOVVVEE those types of games!.

soco

it looks tons better.

still my only concern is replayability. Diablo had this huge advantage in that everything was randomly generated, but from hearing Dennis talk about being set up by the level designer, it leads me to believe this won't have any of that. it then becomes like that xbox D&D game or even gauntlet, where you might wanna play through again once or twice, but not much more.

gfdoom

NovemberMike said:
Rose-tinted glasses. Shadow of the Collosus was horrible, DMC3 had tons of slowdown, Killzone was glitchy as hell.
all the devil may cry's ran at 60fps from the start 90% of the time, too human is 30 fps and dips below that. killzone was bad true (which might be the case for the new one). and shadow was bad too. Im just saying you would think by now with the added power of the newer systems there wouldn't be several frame rate issues.

Dont see the large stuttering/framerate issues some people are seeing, may be a playback issue on some peoples computers, shrug. Good job Dennis, cant wait for it to ship.

Tieno

2dvu6xh.jpg

This armor is mine. Really like this one.

looking better...

the combat still doesnt look stellar, but considering I've played through games like diablo and BG:DA, this looks a step up...since it is action take on that genre

One thing Im still not fond of is some of the art design...but still, looks like a purchase for those with a 360

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Tieno said:
2dvu6xh.jpg

This armor is mine. Really like this one.
I beat that is noob gear. I am pretty sure the best armors have not been show yet.
sprocket said:
actually my setting are to quicktime files not flash.
Not to be a dick, because I totally can see your excitement for the game, but I just noticed a texture pop in like 10 seconds in and nothing like a frame rate drop. Are you sure your arent running too much crap at once, sometimes HD video lags a bit when there isn't enough memory.

GaryD

Not sure if this has been posted, but impressions at Shacknews

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=778

...combat is truly unlike anything you've ever played.

All of the core combat, both swords and guns, is controlled by tilting the right analog stick towards the direction you wish to attack, similar to Geometry Wars.

It's a nifty twist on the well-worn button mashing we all know so well, much like how EA Black Box's Skate reinvigorated the once-stagnant skateboarding genre. No one will go into this game with a clear advantage. Everyone will start out at the same basic skill level.

While simple, there is a lot of underlying depth to the system. Hold the right stick to keep attacking in a particular direction. Instead of just pointing in a new direction, rotate the stick for a smoother and more combo-friendly transition. Tap in a direction to launch an enemy into the air. Double tap to dash towards them.

With the right analog stick literally controlling the action, the flip side is that players don't have much direct control over the camera. Silicon Knights has compensated for this with a series of preset camera angles and an auto-targeting feature that centers the action around baddies, but it's not perfect.

At one point, I was being blasted to smithereens by two missile-firing goblins, with a horde of regular old goblins standing between us. I tried to run around the crowd and take on the missile jerks, but the camera was centered around a select member of that horde, turning what should have been a straight beeline into a fight with the camera system.

madmook

sprocket said:
actually my setting are to quicktime files not flash.
Don't worry its not just you. I've only watched the first GT trailer so far, and the framerate is definitely sub-30 throughout. But it wasn't so bad that they won't be able to get it solid before release, so I can let it slide for now. I certainly hope that its not indicative of the final retail build.

Tailzo

Too Human will feature online play similar to Phantasy Star Online which will allow up to four players to connect over Xbox Live for cooperative play. This includes a drop in/out system so people can join you no matter where you or they are up to in the game. It is expected that co-op players will be able to take advantage of class combinations to defeat difficult enemies and gather rare items.

So no local multiplayer ( splitscreen) ?

gfdoom said:
COD4 is one of the real true current gen shinning lights on how to do a excellent game with the added technology! They were able to have a ton of things happen on screen at once while 99% locked at 60frames per second.
and all at 600p.

Game is looking really good, can't wait to try it because it does remind me so much of Phantasy Star Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom