• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm trying to decide worst moment, but I'm tempted to stick with Zoro babysitting because that was an ENTIRE DAMN EPISODE & was so out of character for him, and flat-out the worst One Piece moment I've had to endure. Somehow even worse than "LOL ANOTHER ROUND OF THE DAVY BACK FIGHT BECAUSE STUPID BAD LUCK".

Most of the worst moment nominees were just part of an episode at least, or hilariously bad.

Hope i'm not too late

Best Opening

We Are! (Straw Hat Version) - One Piece OP 7 (This one was a tough one btw. Sorairo Days kept popping up in my head but in my heart the Straw Hats singing the first opening was too much.)

Best Promo

Get Busy Living

Worst Moment

Ragyo Fingers Her Daughter (Kill la Kill)

Best Moment

The funeral of the Going Merry (One Piece)

Best Fight

Team Dai Gurren vs. The Antispiral (Gurren Lagann)

Worst Character

Death Gun (Sword Art Online II)

Best Character

Hatchin (Michiko & Hatchin)

Best Villain

Hiroshi (Michiko & Hatchin)

Biggest Disappointment

Marathons replacing movie nights

Best Surprise

Samurai Jack returns

Most Wanted New Show

One Punch Man

Best Performance by a Voice Actor

Sonny Strait as Usopp (One Piece)

Best Performance by a Voice Actress

Carrie Keranen as Satsuki (Kill la Kill)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"Worst Moment - Super AIDS (Sword Art Online II)"

I...missed something, didn't I?

You missed something quite... magical.

Spoilers obviously
In the third arc of SAO Season 2, Asuna meets this ultra-powerful swordswoman and becomes friends with her. But then she starts getting distant. Turns out she's dying because of Super AIDS. They specifically note that this is a strain of HIV that's difficult to treat. Even though this is supposed to be in a future with perfect virtual reality. Kawahara couldn't have written something like cancer or a new future disease?

By the way you guys

we aren't actually taking votes on the winners here. That's for the podcast to decide.

You monster. You made me do all that hard work for nothing. To the guillotine with this traitor! Long live Seda, the once and future King of ToonamiGAF.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Spoilers obviously
In the third arc of SAO Season 2, Asuna meets this ultra-powerful swordswoman and becomes friends with her. But then she starts getting distant. Turns out she's dying because of Super AIDS. They specifically note that this is a strain of HIV that's difficult to treat. Even though this is supposed to be in a future with perfect virtual reality. Kawahara couldn't have written something like cancer or a new future disease?

Seriously,
cancer would have been perfectly fine. I have no idea why he had to go with an STD, maybe to keep up his streak of having bad sexual things happen to his heroines
?

Oh. New thread already?

3EwbtrB.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess these might be my final decisions for the awards (I'm sure a few will change). I just want a list ready for when we do the podcast & have some time to think about what I had decided on if I want to stick with my choices or switch them:

Best OP - We Are (One Piece)

I'm not a big OP/ED person & honestly, it has hard deciding which one stood out the most (though 2016's vote will easily go to Battlecry), but despite this being for the rather tedious recap episodes right in the middle of a big moment in a current arc, it was neat seeing one of the original OPs for the show return with vocals sung by the Japanese voice actors, especially when you consider this returned after 200+ episodes.

Runner-ups: Kill la Kill OP2, M&H OP

Best Promo - *shrugs* I'll have to rewatch them, because I barely remember any of them.

Worst Moment - Zoro babysitting (One Piece)

Again, there's probably "worse" moments, but this lasted an entire damn episode & was completely out of character. Even worse, when it was done, it contributed nothing to the plot nor was considered canon. One could argue being considered filler is not as bad as the other moments being canon, but we still had to endure it, & it was EASILY the worst One Piece episode we've had to watch.

Runner-ups: Super AIDS, OH MY GOD, IT WAS KAYABA.....AGAIN...

Best Moment - Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann's transformation (Gurren Lagann)

It was between that or GL's finale (though I'm thinking more of the fight while I'll go into later), but simply put, the build up to this was great. We had everyone's lives at stake, with the sacrifice of a major character, & just as we thought GL couldn't get any bigger, it does, & it ends with a great cliffhanger that just hypes you up & makes you want to see how this new form is going to kick everyone's ass.

Runner-ups: Luffy defeating Lucci, drunk Hatchin

Best Fight - Team Dai Gurren vs. The Antispiral (Gurren Lagann)

Again, it was the build-up that made this so great, & once more, just as you think they couldn't get any bigger, we get a giant GALAXY-SIZED FINALE using big-bang attacks and actual galaxies as platforms & weapons. A shame we can't count the movie version, because it gets even CRAZIER. This fight was what helped make Gurren Lagann one of the classics among fans.

Runner-ups: Sheele vs. Seryu, 1st Ryuko vs. Satsuki fight

Worst Character - Kirito (SAO2)

Man, this was TOUGH. I tried to balance overall badness with how much they played a part of the show, & after much thought, as awful as Dr. Stylish was with his stereotype voice, we had to endure even more of Kirito in SAO2, despite him not showing up as often in the final few episodes. His PTSD comes out of NOWHERE, continues to be a gary stu, and just grows an even bigger harem. Not to mention, being the main character of the series plays a huge role in why he was chosen.

Runner-ups: Dr. Stylish, Rossiu

Best Character - Hatchin (M&H)

In an overall, disappointing show that turned out to be rather "meeehhh", Hatchin was probably one of the few saving graces, if not for the fact she's one of the rare NOT annoying child characters in any forms of media. Forced to grow up too fast, she tends to get more done than the main adult character & has her moments like her silly drunk dance & trying to force a guy to call her mom on the phone.

Runner-ups: Mako, Satsuki

Best Villain: Seryuu (AgK)

Probably one of the best parts of the show, her transformation to typical cutesy girl to yandere "JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED" was great, & her first battle was just bonkers. Her facial expressions at times are so hystarical at times as well, and come on, she has a DEMONIC DOG THAT BITES HER ARM OFF IN ORDER TO SWITCH WEAPONS.

Runner-ups: Bols, Satsuki

Biggest Disappointment: Michiko & Hatchin

Talk about wasted potential. The first episode or two, things looked like we were gonna have a hidden gem that people missed out on. Instead, we get a very "okay" show that feels way too long & repeats too many plot points (oh noes M&H argued & split up AGAIN). It wasn't anywhere near the worst show that we've seen, but we got our hopes up and overall, while I'm still glad I watched it for a few good moments, I cannot honestly recommend it nor have any desire to rewatch most of it.

Runner-ups: Lupin III: Woman Named Fujiko Mine deconfirmed, Inuyasha: Final Act

Best Surprise: Parasyte dub quality

I'm honestly only voting for this due to getting AgK first and then Parasyte. After seeing it was the same ADR Director as AgK, I feared we were going to get another terrible Sentai dub. It's still not as good as I would've hoped, but it's MUCH better than what I was expecting & at times show that Sentai IS able to produce some decent voice acting. Still had some bad reads at times, sure, but it easily could've been a hell of a lot worse.

Runner-ups: Kill la Kill actually airing on Toonami (despite a few bits of censorship), the Intruder 2 bumps, Samurai Champloo returning

Most Wanted New Show: My Hero Academia

This was another tough one. On the one hand, Jojo would be great considering it's long & changes things up when switching from Parts 1 to 2 & 3, with 4 coming out in April, but this means more slower moments & less action at times. One Punch Man, as AMAZING as the anime version turned out to be, would only last 12 episodes, making it rather short & only lasting a few months. Therefore, My Hero Academia gets my vote because it's right in the middle being 24-ish episodes but still a great series....plus it's the only series I actually haven't seen yet in anime form.

Runner-ups: Jojo, One Punch Man

Best Performance (Male): Patrick Seitz as Gamagoori (Kill la Kill)

The Kill la Kill dub was spectacular & one of the rare anime I originally watched subbed, then later dubbed & prefer the dub. Seitz is great in this and you can tell he's enjoying every line he's speaking. He's perfect for the giant, muscle-built guy, so his voice works great for Gamagoori.

Runner-ups: Sonny Straight (Usopp), Ben Diskin (Takarada)

Best Performance (Female): Carrie Keranen as Satsuki (Kill la Kill)

Originally one of the few voices I felt was a bit "off" in the dub (just a biittt deeper), after giving it some time, it's actually very good and another reason why the Kill la Kill dub turned out to be great.

Runner-ups: Sarah Williams (Nonon), Brittney Karbowski (Migi, Going Merry)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It seems premature to be excited about My Hero Academia...

...what if Bones screws up the adaptation?
They're not doing an original ending, don't worry.

Excluding original content, when did they ever screw up an adaptation? They tend to do them well, from what I've recall/seen.

Grexeno

It seems premature to be excited about My Hero Academia...

...what if Bones screws up the adaptation?
A Bones ending seems unlikely with Shonen Jump being the chief boss, and considering how they have liked their adaptations to be done recently: Haikyuu!, Assassination Classroom, and Shokugeki no Soma are all seasonal.

A Bones ending seems unlikely with Shonen Jump being the chief boss, and considering how they have liked their adaptations to be done recently: Haikyuu!, Assassination Classroom, and Shokugeki no Soma are all seasonal.

BBB was season and had anime original content

BBB is not Shonen Jump.

Same company Shueisha owns and publishes WSJ and Jump SQ which BBB airs in. Heck its in the same magazine D-Gray Man is currently in and most people consister it a jump manga still.

And even then while you can argue the filler content in BBB was handled well, you can't deny its finale being too long to air on tv was a bungle on Bones' part.

Grexeno

Same company Shueisha owns and publishes WSJ and Jump SQ which BBB airs in. Heck its in the same magazine D-Gray Man is currently in and most people consister it a jump manga still.

And even then while you can argue the filler content in BBB was handled well, you can't deny its finale being too long to air on tv was a bungle on Bones' part.
Look, I'll put it this way: MHA is already one of Jump's biggest series. They're probably looking for a massive anime bump. Bones will not be permitted to engage in any shenanigans.

Look, I'll put it this way: MHA is already one of Jump's biggest series. They're probably looking for a massive anime bump. Bones will not be permitted to engage in any shenanigans.

Shonen Jump sure....makes no bones about their dislike for shenanigans.

Considering they let Toei have awful pacing and (small) filler arcs with OP

Letting Toei do bad pacing and large filler arcs with World Trigger

And allowing Pierrot to endlessly spin wheels with Naruto

Its very clear they don't give a fuck about the quality of their anime adaptations as long as they boost the volume of manga sales and sell merch. A mha anime will do this with filler arcs or filler new characters added to the story just fine.

Also World Trigger has gone the Op/toriko/naruto/bleach route of airing non stop with long filler to let the manga get ahead

It comes down to the studio making the anime what they do with it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's no real way to fix One Piece's pacing without screwing up the anime franchise. They do a reasonable job with one chapter a week, 5 or so fillers a year. The only way to fix it would be to do 30 a year and there's no point with it doing so well.

I only watched one episode of World Trigger. I remember two things from it.

After the opening, there was roughly 3 minutes of dull barely colored still images before the plot got rolling.

I remember that, and that I hate this kid...
...and this goddamn face he makes all the time.

For all I know, maybe World Trigger is actually amazing. What I do know is the first episode of World Trigger is godawful.

Its very clear they don't give a fuck about the quality of their anime adaptations as long as they boost the volume of manga sales and sell merch. A mha anime will do this with filler arcs or filler new characters added to the story just fine.
True.
Toei and Pierrot are businesses first. It's not about creating a quality product, it's about making the most lowest common denominator adaptation that can make the source material more popular.
When Shueisha gives the anime license to those two studios, they're saying "make this as mainstream as possible because this is going to go on for years."

Spoilers obviously

Y'know, as shit as that is...

Actually, scratch that. That scenario was about as dumb humanly possible.
A new strain of HIV
, what the fuck is that? And people said this show was smart? I actually hope the phrase "Super AIDS" was actually used.

It has to be seen to be believed.

Future Foundation needs to finish SAO II just because.

;D

I'll do that when this thread publicly acknowledges the existence of Tenchi Muyo! GXP.

Moaradin

BBB was season and had anime original content

Really good anime original content surprisingly. The anime original characters in that show is pretty much the only narrative through line it has. Without them, it would be entirely episodic. Still very good mind you, but I really liked what the anime original stuff brought to the table.

MHA wouldn't get anything that would hurt it's chances of more than one season though. That much I'm pretty sure of. Pretty much every major Jump anime lately has gone the seasonal format. Shokugeki no Soma, Kuroko's Basketball, Haikyuu, Assassination Classroom, JoJo, etc. All have 24-26 episode seasons. World Trigger is the one exception but even that isn't anything like a definitive Bones ending. If anything, they are dragging more episodes out of that than it needs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tenchi Muyo GXP was a mistake. Funi offered it to them, they barely screened it and went, oh, more Tenchi Muyo, and one that requires almost no editing to pass S&P! What could go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom