• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
YTO1pOD.gif

I acknowledged GXP in the other thread.

I think Beware the Batman messed up Batman's formula more than GXP screwed up Tenchi Muyo's formula.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I think Beware the Batman messed up Batman's formula more than GXP screwed up Tenchi Muyo's formula.

Eh, that depends on a lot of things. Both basically peaked with their first version (if you count TAS as the origin point as there are obviously tons of Batman cartoons before it) and basically got worse and worse with each iteration. Especially apt in the visual department where each progressive series got lazier and lazier with the art. The plots also get dumbed down as they go along.

Mizerman

Eh, I doubt it. BtB was so short lived that it's just gonna go down as a forgettable series at best. Another day at the office for DC/WB.

No no, that was me. I joked that it would be Super AIDS when it was revealed she was sick, I never felt worse about being right.

Those last episodes of SAO II were hard to trudge through.

Line_HTX

I hated how Tenchi Muyo didn't really finish airing or just cuts off before Toonami the very next day aired Tenchi Universe, which was an even stupider story direction.

Got around to watching the Little Witch Academia shorts on Netflix.

Very enjoyable stuff, super cute and a treat to look at.

I'm left wanting more, but of course I'm also left wary of how these pieces exist as animation showcases, and by their nature aren't feasible as a series without impacting a big part of what makes them so good.

I'm also left thinking about some of the suffering inherent in being someone who would prefer to watch something dubbed. I was considering the effort it would take to search the forum and other social media for the reactions and opinions from when it had been first released, because at this point people have said their piece on it and are not likely to repost it, but decided against it. Much like how I have been lazy in getting around to watching multiple shows I had told myself I wanted to for the same reason, the social aspect takes a heavy blow. Of course, this applies to being "late" to any anime regardless of how you watch it, as the responses to a post about having watched an older thing always pale in comparison to the episode by episode reactions as it's airing.

With a healthy Toonami and Funi's simultaneous efforts it's actually better on that front than it has been for a long while, it's just a matter of whether or not the things you want to watch get those treatments so you can enjoy the group excitement and have the liveliest discussions.
of course i could also find some real personal friends who would listen to me ramble about having watched random stuff instead of posting it to forums

TUSR

Banned
Got around to watching the Little Witch Academia shorts on Netflix.

Very enjoyable stuff, super cute and a treat to look at.

I'm left wanting more, but of course I'm also left wary of how these pieces exist as animation showcases, and by their nature aren't feasible as a series without impacting a big part of what makes them so good.

I'm also left thinking about some of the suffering inherent in being someone who would prefer to watch something dubbed. I was considering the effort it would take to search the forum and other social media for the reactions and opinions from when it had been first released, because at this point people have said their piece on it and are not likely to repost it, but decided against it. Much like how I have been lazy in getting around to watching multiple shows I had told myself I wanted to for the same reason, the social aspect takes a heavy blow. Of course, this applies to being "late" to any anime regardless of how you watch it, as the responses to a post about having watched an older thing always pale in comparison to the episode by episode reactions as it's airing.

With a healthy Toonami and Funi's simultaneous efforts it's actually better on that front than it has been for a long while, it's just a matter of whether or not the things you want to watch get those treatments so you can enjoy the group excitement and have the liveliest discussions.
of course i could also find some real personal friends who would listen to me ramble about having watched random stuff instead of posting it to forums

There is also a Making of Little Witch Academia documentary you should check out.

I highly recommend it.

Eh, that depends on a lot of things. Both basically peaked with their first version (if you count TAS as the origin point as there are obviously tons of Batman cartoons before it) and basically got worse and worse with each iteration. Especially apt in the visual department where each progressive series got lazier and lazier with the art. The plots also get dumbed down as they go along.

Batman Beyond is debatabely equally as good as the original TAS. And while The Bat was worse then TAS or BB I'd say BaB was better then it. The batman cartoons are more up and down in quality then gradually getting worse. While I don't remember much of muyo/in space/in love/tokyo the bit I saw of geminar confirmed it was certainly better then GXP.

I wouldn't say either show messed up the formula for either series since by the time they aired we'd seen a wide variety of animated takes on both series that handled the material differently. The problem with both shows wasn't the formula change it was the execution. The only Batman show to change up the formula is Gotham since its not about Batman.

I only watched one episode of World Trigger. I remember two things from it.

After the opening, there was roughly 3 minutes of dull barely colored still images before the plot got rolling.

I remember that, and that I hate this kid...

...and this goddamn face he makes all the time.

For all I know, maybe World Trigger is actually amazing. What I do know is the first episode of World Trigger is godawful.

World Trigger is actually amazing. Once you get beyond the introductory episodes it really expands. The pace is pretty brisk and things stay intense.

I think the person who is doing their backgrounds and scenery does good especially whenever its a sunset type of moment.

How could anyone hate the cast
tumblr_nyjrg7O7xe1qbxqfpo3_540.png
tumblr_nyjr82Tcb91qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_nnevgiXkmN1s6kdv3o1_540.jpg

I only watched one episode of World Trigger. I remember two things from it.

After the opening, there was roughly 3 minutes of dull barely colored still images before the plot got rolling.

I remember that, and that I hate this kid...

...and this goddamn face he makes all the time.

For all I know, maybe World Trigger is actually amazing. What I do know is the first episode of World Trigger is godawful.

World Trigger does get pretty great, Toei's adaptation does it no favors sadly :(

Watched LWA the other day. The first is a fun little thing, the second suffers a bit from simultaneously feeling a little padded to accommodate the longer run time while being not long enough to do a lot with a larger cast.

TUSR

Banned
Watched LWA the other day. The first is a fun little thing, the second suffers a bit from simultaneously feeling a little padded to accommodate the longer run time while being not long enough to do a lot with a larger cast.

yeah but it has Amanda in it

Raxus

Food girl really was there just for one joke. Machine girl seemed like she walked in from another anime.

Crocodile

Happy New Year and all that jazz <3

Looking at the nominations, some categories are really hard to narrow down. For example there were a lot of quality fights. There were also A LOT of really bad moments :/

Yeah that clip doesn't really do a good job of showing off Black Bullet

Fandub clip but should give you a better idea

http://youtu.be/igJ6t0BwbmI

Is this an accurate dubbing? The end of that clip is like everything wrong with anime distilled into seconds :/

Both get accused of being a Mary Sue, but only one actually is.

That conversation is really annoying for so many reasons. Leave it to GAF to blow it up into a 2k+ post thread :/

Yoh Yoshinari said he was influenced by Kill la Kill (Ryuko) when he created Amanda.

lyHux4n.gif

Amanda >>> Ryuko

Yoshinari > Imashi

Are people actually this stupid?

Depending upon which part of that tweet you find dumb my answe is either yes or pot calling kettle black if you didn't get the joke :p

Is this an accurate dubbing? The end of that clip is like everything wrong with anime distilled into seconds :/

I didn't listen to the fan dub I just used a clip which is just one example of how BB is truly lowest common denominator the show. I think the best is the finale when
the big boobed lady goes yandere out of nowhere after killing her brother in a plot thread introduced in the final episode

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Checking this person's Twitter, they're a shit poster. Yeah... probably pulled the trigger there.

Xenoblade > maratho-

waiiiiiiiiiit a minute

we back

Thats crazy, the skill ceiling in FGs is so immense that you could see benefits in using 120hz, but if you're tied to the consoles you cant.

Too many practical issues with using PCs at tourneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom