• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan16| Maybe I Should Have Worn Pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
yGe99KK.gif

I, like Man God, hate the word underrated.

And I don't know if Samurai Champloo is underrated per se, but more people should watch it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Samurai Champloo was most certainly overhyped back in the day. I still recall this project being touted as the second coming of Cowboy Bebop and it just never reached that level at any facet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Samurai Champloo was most certainly overhyped back in the day. I still recall this project being touted as the second coming of Cowboy Bebop and it just never reached that level at any facet.

Yep, this is definitely the case.

Mizerman

Even if Champloo never reached the same notoriety as Bebop, it's still pretty good. Then again, I could see why it would've been hyped up as hell.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think comparing a show to Cowboy Bebop is automatically going to turn some people against it.
Remember when people tried to compare Space Dandy to Cowboy Bebop?

Sometimes, it seems like it kind of backfires if you make a name of yourself because then that's all people will ever compare your future projects to.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not living up to Bebop is the thing that turned more people away.

Champloo is more of a slow burn. I don't think the total product is on the level of Bebop anyways, but it doesn't have an immediate hook like Bebop does.

kewlmyc

I have a confession to make

I've never watch Samurai Champloo

Looks like you're in for a treat.

Also Cowboy Bebop deals with cowboys in space which would appeal to westerners more than samurai. Even though samurai fighting while breakdancing to a catchy rap/r&b soundtrack sounds hype as hell.

Having seen both, Champloo is not the second coming of Bebop.

Judging it as its own thing though, I think it's pretty good and will be enjoyed by those who are seeing it for the first time. It's been a while since I watched in full so I'm looking forward to it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm a little surprised by just how many people haven't seen Champloo by now. You guys are in for a treat tonight. Samurai Champloo episode 1 is still my all-time favorite first episode in any anime ever.

Not to, like, over hype it or anything.

And comparisons to Bebop are generally unfair and kind of miss the point. The two shows do some very different things and have very different sensibilities.

Mizerman

In hindsight, I wonder how 4Kids would've continued that...interesting rap when the other characters started to join the crew...

Dreamin. Don't give it up, Shard.

Dreamin. Don't give it up, Man God.

Hey, rolls right off the tongue.

Edit: Mother fu-

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm much more curious how 4Kids would have done a lot of the later arcs.

Spoilers (duh)
Fishman Island's racism issues. Caesar Clown's human experiments. Soooo much of Dressrosa. The brutal massacre of Zou.

I'm much more curious how 4Kids would have done a lot of the later arcs.

Spoilers (duh)
Fishman Island's racism issues. Caesar Clown's human experiments. Soooo much of Dressrosa. The brutal massacre of Zou.

Everyone just got knocked dizzy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
IYySNPU.gif

YO! ya-yo, ya-yo

Dreamin', don't give it up Luffy
Dreamin', don't give it up Zolo
Dreamin', don't give it up Nami
Dreamin', don't give it give it up give it up give it up give it up give it NO!

Here's how the story goes we find out
About a Treasure in the Grand Line
Theres no doubt, The pirate whose eye is on it
He'll sing I'll be King of the Pirates
I'm gonna be king

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, ho-ho

His name is Luffy
That's Monkey D. Luffy
Gonna be king of the pirates!
He's made of rubber - (female singers) how did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho he took a bite of Gum Gum

Ya-yo, ya-yo

His name's Zolo he's just like a samurai
and a l-a-d-y Nami's not shy
Usopps' doin' that marksman thing
Sanji's cookin'
Chopper's doctoring

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, hoo-hoo

Set sail for One Piece, it's the name of the treasure in the Grand Line!

Ya-yo, ya-yo

Set sail for One Piece!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom