• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar15| the smartest anime is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning on picking it up, but I realize I have too many games collecting dust to justify buying another game. I plan on picking it up sometime in the future. I just hope this game manages to stay in 2-3 threads instead of engulfing all of GAF.

Who am I kidding? We are talking about Bloodborne in here too. It's already too late.

I've already "bought" the game despite not having a ps4. I put that in quotation because my buddies collectors edition won't be in till tomorrow, so he bought the regular edition today and is gonna sell it to me when his ce comes in. Means I pay less and can add another game to my infinite back log and another ps4 games for the system I still don't own

Soulflarz

Banned
I've already "bought" the game despite not having a ps4. I put that in quotation because my buddies collectors edition won't be in till tomorrow, so he bought the regular edition today and is gonna sell it to me when his ce comes in. Means I pay less and can add another game to my infinite back log and another ps4 games for the system I still don't own

Well,I would say you have a problem, but give fromsoft all your money :D

ckohler

Toonami Faithful has posted an interview with Erica Mendez (Ryuko). I'm listening to it now. The interviewers are embarrassingly bad (so many awkward silences) but Erica sounds sweet and it's interesting. She talks about her career and her own personal fandom with the shows she's in.

Crocodile

In a goddamn bathroom? lol

Things people like to do in public bathrooms that I don't get
-Eat
-Play videogames on a console
-Have sex

etc.

The movies make Shinji more tolerable by not having him be as depressed as he is on the show, but Shinji has a -lot- of problems. He's sexually repressed/confused (THAT scene from End of Evangelion, his feelings for Kaworu, ect), has a father that basically refuses to acknowledge his existence, and has severe depression. If you have ever had real depression, you would understand that all you want to do is lie in bed all day, regardless of what's actually going on around you. It's something that makes you seem like a shitty person to people who don't understand- you aren't "sick", but you can't function as a human being. And while depression are certainly something worth exploring in art, an anime about giant robots probably isn't the best place to be trying it.

Movie Shinji, who is far more capable of functioning than the TV version, is a better character for telling the kind of story Eva wants to tell- he clearly has problems, you can tell the same story as the show, but he seems far more likable and understandable to the average person

No I think Shinji is clearly the exact type of character the show wanted as its protagonist. It was all intentional - you aren't supposed to "like" Shinji nor self-insert and he isn't some alpha hero here to save the day while a JAM Project song blasts in he background. As you said he suffers from a variety of mental issues on top on being within a nightmare scenario. Being essentially forced to pilot giant monsters robots against an alien threat that has already wiped out a good chunk of humanity isn't exactly fun and games - especially when "Shonen Heart" isn't a thing in that universe that will pull your bacon out of the fire.

He's a fucked up person living in a fucked up scenario with a bunch of mostly fucked up people around him. One doesn't have to like the show but I don't think "getting" the show requires you to have have a similar mindset or life experience as the protagonist. Plenty of popular, conversation-driving fictional media features shitty (as in bad people or people in "bad places") people doing shitty things. As has already been mentioned too, the context of when the show was created was a huge deal as well in how much the show was different than anything remotely like it at the time.

For the entire week of March 16-22, 2015 in Total Day (8 p.m. to 5:59 a.m.), Adult Swim is up 6 percent in total viewership (1.220 million vs. 1.148 million) and up 5 percent among Adults 18-49 (724,000 vs. 687,000) from one week earlier; the network is also about even in total viewership (1.220 million vs. 1.223 million) and up 3 percent among Adults 18-49 (724,000 vs. 705,000) from the same week one year ago (March 17-23, 2014).
f79cd.png

44a68.png

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/tv-r...continue-see-record-highs-ncaa-march-madness/

Quaddddddddd.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The One Piece repeat is up from last week, and yet it's still getting pulled. ARGH!

Quad million is pretty cool
Jeez, so many people left after Inuyasha despite it being the final episode of Gurren Lagann, AKA one of the biggest episodes of anything ever.
And people came back for One Piece. Ratings are weird.

The One Piece repeat is up from last week, and yet it's still getting pulled. ARGH!

Quad million is pretty cool
Jeez, so many people left after Inuyasha despite it being the final episode of Gurren Lagann, AKA one of the biggest episodes of anything ever.
And people came back for One Piece. Ratings are weird.

Too little too late for the OP rerun sadly.

Great numbers all around, if we including 8pm DBZ thats 5 shows doing over 1 million which is great.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All of which are characters that were on Toonami or Cartoon Network...

....all except Dio......

........JOJO SECRETLY CONFIRMED FOR TOONAMI!?!?

All of which are characters that were on Toonami or Cartoon Network...

....all except Dio......

........JOJO SECRETLY CONFIRMED FOR TOONAMI!?!?

My fantasy world of adult swim helping to fund the jojo dub with viz to get over the expensive rights issue and having it announced at momocon is closer to coming true :p

Grexeno

I sort of agree that the actual fight in the Gurren Lagann finale isn't that memorable outside of the ludicrous scale and over-the-topness of it all.

I sort of agree that the actual fight in the Gurren Lagann finale isn't that memorable outside of the ludicrous scale and over-the-topness of it all.

In the second movie,
it's even more over the top. To the point where the galaxies are literally nothing but specks of dust in comparison.

The climax is one of the coolest damn things ever.

G Gundam? Get outta here, that show was over after "The east is burning red".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom