• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
for what it's worth, in my "general mecha fan" circles, the opinion on Unicorn is "really good fights, so-so plot"

so Unicorn's popularity probably says more about the tastes of Gundam fans than actual general quality.

Morlas

After that amazing episode last night i've decided to embrace my destiny as a foolish samurai.
That was one of the best episodes of any show I've ever seen i mean goddamn

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I really need to stop reading this thread. Reading everyone trash Unicorn is an exercise in masochism.

I can understand not liking it jist fine, but the exaggerated level you guys go too is pretty extreme. You act like it's the worst fucking show ever made when it's not. I'll admit the tv series edits are pretty bad, but the content in of itself is pretty gm fucking great.

Well, things should get easier given that most of the thread is probably dropping the series once it moves next to Shippuden. At any rate, the big problem is Gundam being a boring show filled with dull terminology, layers of dense continuity and convoluted takes on politics that don't translate to 1 AM. Everybody is getting pissed off because Gundam Unicorn is legit putting people to sleep and there is no entertainment value to be had with the program, not even to mock it like with SAO for example.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, things should get easier given that most of the thread is probably dropping the series once it moves next to Shippuden. At any rate, the big problem is Gundam being a boring show filled with dull terminology, layers of dense continuity and convoluted takes on politics that don't translate to 1 AM. Everybody is getting pissed off because Gundam Unicorn is legit putting people to sleep and there is no entertainment value to be had with the program, not even to mock it like with SAO for example.

1. I like Gundam Unicron...kinda. At least I know what is going on.

2. I've started to doze watching it more than I have for any show since the last Naruto Shippuden filler arc (Home is where you make it)

For reference the last show I kinda liked but put me to sleep frequently were the Samurai Jack reruns at 4:30 am. Three hours later. And most of that were the episodes of Jack where they played atmospheric music and had no dialogue for 25 minutes.

cntr

Banned
Oh that reminds me, serious props for whoever at Bang Zoom wrote the script for this Jojo episode.

Wired Beck had one of those annoying anime verbal tics in Japanese (which Joseph temporarily copies), and translating that to a general annoying voice and having Joseph imitate it was brilliant.

2. I've started to doze watching it more than I have for any show since the last Naruto Shippuden filler arc (Home is where you make it)

For reference the last show I kinda liked but put me to sleep frequently were the Samurai Jack reruns at 4:30 am. Three hours later. And most of that were the episodes of Jack where they played atmospheric music and had no dialogue for 25 minutes.
Yeah, I don't find Unicorn very confusing since I know what all the words mean and what's going on. I find it pretty straight-forward. But I don't like it since well, the plot is kinda bad and the dialogue and characters are really bad. And it basically turns the UC into Gundam 00, especially given stuff that happens later...which makes sense given the era it was made in, I guess, but it's still bad.

Really good mecha and space animation, though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

The overall point is everybody is getting extra pissed off because Unicorn is legit pulling to them to sleep.

cntr

Banned
also I should note that Gundam Build Fighters is even more reference heavy than Unicorn, but it's instantly understandable.

maybe not really the same thing, but guess which one is a great show.

bigkrev

I really need to stop reading this thread. Reading everyone trash Unicorn is an exercise in masochism.

I can understand not liking it jist fine, but the exaggerated level you guys go too is pretty extreme. You act like it's the worst fucking show ever made when it's not. I'll admit the tv series edits are pretty bad, but the content in of itself is pretty gm fucking great.

It's a bad show in a time slot that makes it a real chore to make it through awake

Not only that, but it is sandwiched between Jojo and HxH, the 2 best shows on the block. It's going to look a lot worse by comparison

Welcome to ToonamiGAF. We like to exaggerate.

Welcome to ToonamiGAF. We like to exaggerate.
TXR2AB8.jpg

But seriously, I'm an IBO fan so sometimes you just roll with the punches lol

cntr

Banned
IBO is honestly pretty bad but I have fun with it, so it's fine.

also frankly, half the reason I like IBO is because Mikazuki smashing dudes with a giant wrench > Banagher crying about killing dudes with lame-ass lasers.

you guys will appreciate how truly refreshing Mikazuki is when IBO S2 comes on after Unicorn.

Oh that reminds me, serious props for whoever at Bang Zoom wrote the script for this Jojo episode.

Wired Beck had one of those annoying anime verbal tics in Japanese (which Joseph temporarily copies), and translating that to a general annoying voice and having Joseph imitate it was brilliant.

Yeah, I don't find Unicorn very confusing since I know what all the words mean and what's going on. I find it pretty straight-forward. But I don't like it since well, the plot is kinda bad and the dialogue and characters are really bad. And it basically turns the UC into Gundam 00, especially given stuff that happens later...which makes sense given the era it was made in, I guess, but it's still bad.

Really good mecha and space animation, though.

See, I think I know most of the terms now but I find it just extremely convoluted when it doesn't have to be. And I think that's what trips people up; the plot isn't difficult but it's far from straightforward for no good reason.

cntr

Banned
See, I think I know most of the terms now but I find it just extremely convoluted when it doesn't have to be. And I think that's what trips people up; the plot isn't difficult but it's far from straightforward for no good reason.
Yeah, it has that general "pretentious" vibe that Gundam shows tend to have nowadays. It's so...eh.

I sometimes wonder if they just copied the novel's dialogue into the anime, which'd make a lot of sense as to why they sound like lectures.

Yeah there seems to be like this general gundam bubble that once you're past its thick outer wall you can full enjoy most of the series. If you're not able to pierce that shell though you seem to enjoy the shows that are more designed for general audiences like wing. G, build fighters, etc

I think you all could probably jump straight into Zeta Gundam which is a direct sequel to the original with more returning characters and understand it easier than Unicorn tbh.

I somehow completely missed the fact that Jack was hiding under a destroyed beetle drone and not just a random piece of scrap.

download_1.png

Seems like this civilization Jack and the sisters fought through was maybe destroyed by Aku.

Morlas

I thought it was a piece of the one he just destroyed like a second before, also even though Greg Baldwin didn't sound exactly like Mako i thought he did a good job at capturing the spirit of Aku.
I also liked how they didn't have Jack act with shocked horror immediately after he killed her, that's a pretty realistic reaction that most Storytellers that put their characters in this situation don't bother to follow, but a delayed reaction to a traumatic event is something i would expect someone in survival mode like Jack to experience.

cntr

Banned
Jack's sword "can't harm innocents in the hands of evil". Though the sword's goodness detection thing doesn't work on robots,
because Jack killed a good robot that one time he caught the Aku flu.

"Here's this guy you're replacing. He fucked up so we framed him and put him on our wall." Yup...Neon is Boltan. I was expecting Partick Seitz to sound like Dio. Funny enough Angelic Ghostwriter isn't even the most batshit Nen power. Feitan sounds...weird. Chrollo sounds good.

Based on the UC stuff I've seen, Unicorn is my least favorite by far. Aside from the animation, it just hasn't impressed me at all. It's characters are either boring or unlikable, and the plot isn't really exciting, and it's actually making me see why people actually liked Mikazuki so much. That being said, I think most of the complaints about it being confusing are extreamly overblown and it's made me question if the people that keep saying it is are paying attention at all.

Gon and Killua are getting matching phones...they really are life partners. Killua looks good in pink...Miluki on the other hand looks like shit. Melody practically has a Full Metal Alchemist backstory.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Unicorn basically has 3 issues.

1) It's dense and nearly impenetrable without at least some understanding of what has previously transpired in UC Gundam. It's not too terribly difficult to follow in and of itself, but unless you're already invested in the two sides in this conflict and have some understanding of what has happened up to now, it's not really giving us any new reasons to care. Breathlessly describing someone as "the Second Coming of Char" doesn't exactly have the intended resonance without the previous context.

2) I actively want Banagher to die just so we can be rid of him.

3) The MacGuffin is terrible. In order for a MacGuffin to be effective in driving a narrative, it needs to be immediately obvious why it would be desirable and why everybody would be devoting their entire being to finding it, even if it's mysterious and elusive. The Ark of the Covenant is a great MacGuffin. The Philosopher's Stone is a good MacGuffin. The Death Star plans are a good MacGuffin. The Red Stone of Aja is an acceptable enough MacGuffin. Even the One Piece is a solid MacGuffin. "Laplace's Box," on the other hand, is awful. Laplace's Box might be a big deal to the Federation or maybe not or maybe it might or might not exist and it might destroy the world or lead to the future and WHAT? That's NOTHING. You've given us NOTHING to work with here. How can we be invested in a quest for a thing that might or might not do anything and that might or might not exist? Banagher apparently switching sides in the conflict every other week doesn't help either since we don't have any consistent grounding to keep us going.

ckohler

Based on the UC stuff I've seen, Unicorn is my least favorite by far. Aside from the animation, it just hasn't impressed me at all. It's characters are either boring or unlikable, and the plot isn't really exciting, and it's actually making me see why people actually liked Mikazuki so much. That being said, I think most of the complaints about it being confusing are extreamly overblown and it's made me question if the people that keep saying it is are paying attention at all.

I agree with the last part in so far as it isn't holding my attention so I'm not following what's happening enough and that's my fault.

However, the amount of technobabble, names, locations and prior events it assumes its audience already knows (but in my case doesn't) hurts it tremendously.

I've said several times that if you are someone invested in Gundam, this is probably a pretty sweet show and is easy to follow. For newbies, it is not.

Jarate

Banned
I want Gendy to do his own new IP with the next show if he ever does one

It's awesome that we are finally getting a well made western action show tho. We haven't had one since Korea, and I was never a big fan of the Avatar series.

The only reason I can keep up with gundam unicorn is because of Toonami and [AS]'s past with gundam, I feel soo sorry for someone totally not knowing anything about UC Gundam and starting with this god damned show of all things.

Also.

2) I actively want Banagher to die just so we can be rid of him.

This. Hell make an Amuro Ray clone or something just get rid of this annoying brat, never has a gundam protag annoyed me soo much before not even Wing's Heero who I found pretty dull.

I like the director of Unicorn and I actually bother to watch it and do try paying attention. Not that it really accomplishes anything without understanding the terminology within the dialogue, but hey well-directed/fluid animations are my favorite!

$hippuden though...bye-bye.
Might stick around for that next arc w/ the
Looney Tunes
fight

I do need to get a move on with Zeta and SamuJack

The only reason I can keep up with gundam unicorn is because of Toonami and [AS]'s past with gundam, I feel soo sorry for someone totally not knowing anything about UC Gundam and starting with this god damned show of all things.

Also.

This. Hell make an Amuro Ray clone or something just get rid of this annoying brat, never has a gundam protag annoyed me soo much before not even Wing's Heero who I found pretty dull.

Kira is pretty annoying and so is Shinn.

Everyone else is pretty good.

Kira is pretty annoying and so is Shinn.

Everyone else is pretty good.

Thats the thing, I watched SEED and SEED Destiny when they were new in japan and I was never annoyed by them at all, I don't know what it is about Banagher but I want to kick the shit out of him, both Kira Jesus and Shinn never invoked that in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom