• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So because of a funny clip posted to r/Anime that I saw, I decided to watch Daily Lives of Highschool Boys today. That shit was really funny.
It's a great series, & it helps that it was made by the same director who works on the Gintama anime, plus Sugita voices the boy w/ glasses. It also stands out by being one of the few slice of life comedies focusing on boys instead of girls.

Though I still hate the damn cover that NIS America decided to use. I get the reference/context, but if you had no idea what the show was about, what the hell would an average person think when seeing it?!

It's a great series, & it helps that it was made by the same director who works on the Gintama anime, plus Sugita voices the boy w/ glasses. It also stands out by being one of the few slice of life comedies focusing on boys instead of girls.

Though I still hate the damn cover that NIS America decided to use. I get the reference/context, but if you had no idea what the show was about, what the hell would an average person think when seeing it?!

Oh wow, no kidding. Of all the jokes they could focus the cover on they go with that one lol

Mainly because I didn't like Kira and Athrun was meh to me.
I honestly think Athrun is the only likeable one since he's flawed, but not hyper messed up the way Shinn is. He can be right, but he's not the personification of Jesus like Kira is. Also helps that he didn't smash his best friends girl and then beat him up afterwards.

tumblr_oi1ve8Tile1vqf12oo1_500.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
More revivals need to be done like Samurai Jack. Faithful to the original while changing it up.
Powerpuff Girls did it completely wrong.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
More revivals need to be done like Samurai Jack. Faithful to the original while changing it up.
Powerpuff Girls did it completely wrong.

Jack is going well because Genndy is back, anyone else would have butchered it. Revivals need at least part of the original team back, if only to shepherd the property. Not that a drastic change can't work of course. With the PPG reboot they just had the wrong team behind it with the wrong vision.

I wish Megas XLR could get a revival.

The creators tried really hard. Short of another network picking it up, like say Netflix, it's dead.

CN did a lot of good shows dirty in the 2000's.

Mizerman

I honestly think Athrun is the only likeable one since he's flawed, but not hyper messed up the way Shinn is. He can be right, but he's not the personification of Jesus like Kira is. Also helps that he didn't smash his best friends girl and then beat him up afterwards.

It didn't help when Cagalli got shafted as well.

CN did a lot of good shows dirty in the 2000's.

Oh yes. They were worse in the 2000's when it came to certain shows appearing.

cntr

Banned
They usually fix up Shinn and make him interesting/rational in the SRW versions of SEED and Destiny. I hear Shinn's VA prefers the SRW version of him, actually.

edit: also for bonus points, Kira Yamato gets treated like the shitty person he is in pretty much all SRW games.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Jack is going well because Genndy is back, anyone else would have butchered it. Revivals need at least part of the original team back, if only to shepherd the property. Not that a drastic change can't work of course. With the PPG reboot they just had the wrong team behind it with the wrong vision.

Exactly this. Genndy is there to guide things and the show is just as good.
Nobody from the original Powerpuff Girls team is on the reboot, and it suffers hard. Craig McCracken has nothing to do with it and it shows.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shinn is a spoiled brat taking out his aggression on the wrong ass people.

Athrun is the only character in the show a normal person should relate to. He has an issue between doing the right thing, doing what he wants, and doing what he is told by his father. Then in the second season he has a bad breakup and listens to the same smooth talking con man who convinces most of the world he's the good guy before basically winning and revealing that his plan is all coo-coo bananas eugenics nonsense and he would have gotten away with it too if he'd just cold blooded murdered a pink haired pop idol and her boyfriend, who happens to be Jesus.

cntr

Banned
the thing is, it sometimes feels like they aren't even trying with the new PPG.

like, "trying to imitate the original style but not getting it quite right" would've been a lot more acceptable than whatever the fuck they're actually doing

Shinn is a spoiled brat taking out his aggression on the wrong ass people.

Athrun is the only character in the show a normal person should relate to. He has an issue between doing the right thing, doing what he wants, and doing what he is told by his father. Then in the second season he has a bad breakup and listens to the same smooth talking con man who convinces most of the world he's the good guy before basically winning and revealing that his plan is all coo-coo bananas eugenics nonsense and he would have gotten away with it too if he'd just cold blooded murdered a pink haired pop idol and her boyfriend, who happens to be Jesus.
Athrun definitely has women trouble in Destiny, it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. I actually like...proper Meer not Lacus double Meer.
They usually fix up Shinn and make him interesting/rational in the SRW versions of SEED and Destiny. I hear Shinn's VA prefers the SRW version of him, actually.

edit: also for bonus points, Kira Yamato gets treated like the shitty person he is in pretty much all SRW games.
Doesn't he piss off Shinji of all people?
It didn't help when Cagalli got shafted as well.
A lot of that cast got shafted. I would like to think at some point those two get back together, but who knows.

cntr

Banned
Doesn't he piss off Shinji of all people?
Yeah, EVA Shinji tries to beat him up for being an asshole.

generally the SRW versions of Gundam characters are either fixed to be rational/sensible, or end up having everybody treat them like the crappy people they are.

Does their villainy know no end?!?

IMO, It works so much better if
Kira intentionally goes for the kill.
Doesn't give Kira any leeway for trying to say "I didn't mean to" and brings the so-called "Jesus Yamato" down a peg.

I still like SEED!Kira, I do not apologize.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm actually watching Wing right now and I forgot how hilarious Heero is when Releena isn't around/he isn't trying to kill himself. He's got some killer straight man lines.

Morlas

All I really remember about wing is Heero blowing himself up and the ending credits of endless waltz.

edit: Whereas with g gundam i just remember that this hand of mine is burning red...

So here's the thing with the Gundam Wing dub. The top ten-fifteen roles with the most screen time do a pretty good job with the acting, though the script is bad and the recording isn't the best.

It's everyone else that were seemingly done by janitors and office weirdos.
Also characters with voices way older than they should have.

So here's the thing with the Gundam Wing dub. The top ten-fifteen roles with the most screen time do a pretty good job with the acting, though the script is bad and the recording isn't the best.

It's everyone else that were seemingly done by janitors and office weirdos.
*In raspy voice* "Huh, wad did you say! Da Gundam?"

The Super Buu arc was my intro to "watching DBZ"

I kinda enjoyed it? (At the time)
But even then I felt as though I got more out of playing Budokai 2 than watching the actual show, lol

Dragon Ball will always be preferred for me

So I'm reading spoilers of the Power Rangers movie...

Apparently it takes
92 minutes for them to put on their damn Power Ranger armor.

Bear in mind, this movie just a bit over 2 hours long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom