• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
I know part of Sentai's deal is they frequently pick actors with little to no experience. I know that was definitely the case for quite a few of the Akame ga Kill actors.
Yeah, but it's mostly bad direction. Sentai gets a lot of veteran VAs too, and they still sound like crap.

I mean, look at My Hero Academia, where both the Japanese and English dubs have a ton of brand new VAs in both seasons. They sound perfectly fine.

tbh, I thought as a kid that people complaining about the One Piece (manga) artstyle were weird.

and I still do

My friend who got me into some good Shonens told me that the art of One Piece is pretty genius. There is this silhouetting ground-rule(?)(or some type of principle rather, which you don't necessarily have to abide by) which applies in cartooning:- "if you can make out most of the features of a character just from their outline alone (from the way they are posed), then it is one fine art style you got going" or something like that. Gotta ask him how exactly it was worded. But, you know how often Oda does that - where the characters have these distinctive poses where you can make out just about every appendage on them & whatnot?

I hope that gets the idea across

cntr

Banned
The idea that you should be able to recognize a character from their silhouette is one of the first things you learn making comic book art, though most long-running artists tend to drop it. It was true of early Naruto, but not later Naruto. Even One Piece ends up throwing away the idea, like with nearly all the female characters. It's pretty noticeable.

Fullmetal Alchemist keeps to it all the way through, though, which is why it's great. There's a Brotherhood OP where you see the entire cast from a height, and you know right away who's who.

That's true. I think we're mainly going off from how we've seen One Piece up to now on American TV.
The anime itself seemed to have deviated away from this styling by Enies Lobby in favor of fluid animation over consistent character modeling.

Almost done with SamuJack season 1 btw. (Thank you hulu and previous roomie who's letting us use it)

It's been a pretty good Spring Break for me. I got my order in for Fire Emblem Echoes Limited Edition and I have beaten a bunch of great games from the three Shovel Knight campaigns to Zelda: BotW. Now, I've been playing NieR: Automata and that has taken me in and I'm getting close to the first ending (beating Route A) and I'll probably go after all the main routes. I have other games like Persona 5 on the horizon too...

I keep forgetting Cartoon Network is rebooting Ben 10.

That freaking show is gonna be around longer than any of us.

CN has done so much to that show that I think it'll never die. It probably makes them bank since it got really popular. Now, I'm getting the original theme song stuck in my head.

Puruzi

Banned
There was an SBS or something I think and Oda literally just said that he liked that body type. He also said that the way he draws women was with 3 circles and and x and it was pretty funny.

Morlas

I'm gonna be honest alien force and ultimate alien were legit good even though they kinda bs'd their way into making Kevin a good guy for the sake of having a 3rd protagonist.

Puruzi

Banned
Tbh Ben 10 was a pretty fun and good series up until Omniverse. People told me it was good but I watched a good amount of episodes and I didn't like it. The new Ben 10 looks like gutter trash though

Raxus

They really should have just redone the 4th season in the style of seasons 2 and 3.

A reboot is heartbreaking.

Considering how he was getting progressively older in the series I guess it made sense to reboot. That or continue it with a new protagonist also named Ben. BenBen's Bizarre Adventure.

Morlas

They sort of explained it later on but by then it was late.

Yeah I know but it would've benefited from an earlier explanation, but don't get me wrong I like older kevin way more than evil bratty kevin, goodhearted rogues are really fun when done right.

edit: Also they were very lucky to get Dwayne McDuffie as the lead on the show, That man was a real talent.

Yeah, but it's mostly bad direction. Sentai gets a lot of veteran VAs too, and they still sound like crap.

I mean, look at My Hero Academia, where both the Japanese and English dubs have a ton of brand new VAs in both seasons. They sound perfectly fine.

That's true. And the weird thing is Sentai and Funimation both pull from the same pool of veteran VAs.

Morlas

Whoever is in charge of programming for CN right now has no goddamn idea what they're doing "ooh we should just air TTG and Gumball all the time because they're cheap and have good ratings, that surely won't affect our overall network ratings negatively, kids hate variety after all."

cntr

Banned
here's an awful joke

what do a soda and Caesar Zeppeli have in common?
they both go flat when they run out of bubbles

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Whoever is in charge of programming for CN right now has no goddamn idea what they're doing "ooh we should just air TTG and Gumball all the time because they're cheap and have good ratings, that surely won't affect our overall network ratings negatively, kids hate variety after all."

This might explain why Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs the TV Show comes across as a cheap knockoff of every popular CN show from the last decade.

Mizerman

I dunno, I think Ben 10 is being set up for the fall given that it has been aired overseas months ago/

Somehow, I don't doubt it. They'll probably put it on a timeslot that leads to bad ratings, then blame the low ratings and stop showing it as much. Then go right back to spamming TTG.

Seda

I'm no expert but I think the majority of cable channels latch onto a small selection of well-rated shows which are run endlessly.

Raxus

I'm no expert but I think the majority of cable channels latch onto a small selection of well-rated shows which are run endlessly.

Ding ding ding. Hence why Big Bang Theory, Seinfeld, Simpsons, etc. play on an almost endless loop on other channels. Syndication is big $$$$$.

It's also why more story driven shows (while higher in quality) tend to not be shown on repeats. It is hard for a viewer to just stumble upon it and just pick it up in the middle of a story.

That said Netflix and other streaming services is a welcome change to this since scripted shows flourish in a binge format allowing for higher quality TV at your own pace. Hell, besides Toonami I don't think I watch a single show live anymore.

Morlas

I can understand that, but when about 90% of your programming consists of 2 shows endlessly repeating throughout the week you know there's a problem like even when regular show and adventure time were the premiere shows on the network they still showed reruns of lazlo, flapjack, and chowder as well

Huh?

Hero Academia has lots of not new VAs???

All Might has tons of roles, so does all the lead cast. Look at Bakugou cast list...even non main characters are pretty experienced, like tenya, midoriya was already in many prolific lead roles in series much before heroaca. Even someone like noumo or sero has been around a long time, and people like kaminari va has been in lead roles of long stuff like Zexal. I dont know who youre seeing a brand new voices.

cntr

Banned
"have" isn't the same as "have only", dude. and the second season and the English dub certainly do.

That said Netflix and other streaming services is a welcome change to this since scripted shows flourish in a binge format allowing for higher quality TV at your own pace. Hell, besides Toonami I don't think I watch a single show live anymore.
Yeah, same. Toonami's the first "live" TV thing I've watched in years.

incidentally, I totally missed the Ben 10 train. I'm not even sure what the show's actually about.

"have" isn't the same as "have only", dude. and the second season and the English dub certainly do.

Only one person in the second season is maybe new to anime but not voice acting, the rest of the new cast have been around voicing anime and non anime roles. One is very non new (shinsou), the others started at least 6 years ago.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Naruto Shippuden is over. At 500 episodes.
Time to update the end dates, in that we have one.

cntr

Banned
almost 2 years after the manga ended

...man, wonder how long the One Piece anime is going to take to end after the manga

Naruto Shippuden is over. At 500 episodes.
Time to update the end dates, in that we have one.

I miss Naruto already https://twitter.com/XZ_0x0/status/844986191258644484
C7n-SUcV4AA94sN.jpg:small

cntr

Banned
I've heard the last few dozen episodes of Shippuden were pretty decent, since they were adaptations of the novels and thus written by mostly competent writers instead of Kishimoto

Josh5890

Shoot. If I wasn't a big sports fan I would have next to nothing to watch live on TV minus the daily news.

Morlas

Yeah they were nice, and i'm glad they did it,
i think it's a pretty good idea to end it on Naruto and Hinata's wedding since it makes a good transition from Naruto to Boruto, also it was just a nice sweet episode with all of the characters which i enjoy for final episodes in a series.

Neoxon

Fun Fact: The English voice of Deku is actually a member of TeamFourStar (he's Cloud & Teen Gohan for TFS).

Neoxon

Funination has been getting quite a bit of TFS talent recently (DBZ Kai's movie gag aside). Justin Briner, KaiserNeko, Lanipator, & Takahata101 are all employed at Funimation. Not sure about MasakoX, as I believe he lives in the UK.

Neoxon

Wasn't there a period where TFS was under really heavy fire? Why are they being hired now?
They were under heavy fire by Toei. Funination always had a great relationship with the guys at TFS (especially Christopher Sabat, who does cameos for TFS in some of the DBZ movies that they abridge).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom