• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

Mob Psycho and Lupin III have to be in the works (it'd be kind of weird to hold a poll and not have the shows planned), and after 3 years of waiting for it, I can't see Stardust Crusaders not dub premiering on Toonami.

So it's gonna happen.

As long as the group gets to watch Part 3, I'll be content.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Semi related: I actually, in a weird way, kinda enjoy watching or playing bad shows/games occassionally. Makes you appreciate the quality stuff more and I like to actually be able to articulate why something is "bad" rather than just avoiding it outright and saying "it's bad".

That said I'm having a hard time continuing my UC Gundam watch. Both because of time and because I'm finding it incredibly dull in general.
This is exactly why I was able to make it through shows like Akame ga Kill, SAO, Tenchi Muyo GXP, etc., because they had stuff worth talking about & understanding why they didn't work. With Gundam, there's so little for me to comment on, I can't bring myself to continue watching it. It's just one of the worst kinds of bad: BORING.

I used to pick on IBO being the most dull show on the block previously, but I still felt that had a decent beginning & ending, not to mention I actually remember moments in that show, even if all of them aren't good. Unicorn kind of actually makes me hope for IBO S2 just so we can have entertaining Gundam again instead of....what we have now.

Grexeno

I can actually answer this, only choice that could work given the timing. Can't leave The Final Chapters on the cutting room floor nor could they leave the new series hanging on the vine for the competition so why not grab them both. Expect this to happen with the Boruito anime eventually.
I feel like they may just drop Shippuden for Boruto.

Seda

I'm in the same boat. Super is pretty entertaining reguardless of it somewhat dragging. Hearing it only gets better is nice.

This might be a left-field opinion, I dunno, but I don't mind the padding much in Super at all. I know some people get really annoyed at things like Pilaf or Bulma zany antics. But, like, I don't really care about the Super Saiyan God showdown of doom or whatever so it's not like the "padding" is getting in the way of some super engaging storyline I am especially eager to see. Perhaps its a case of lowered expectations but give me some mildly amusing character interactions and I prefer that to beam struggles or whatnot.

That said I hear tonight's episode is a power-level waving contest between Goku/Beerus which doesn't sound too fun.

edit: Amusing character interaction is why early Buu Saga is enjoyable, too.

Josh5890

I can actually answer this, only choice that could work given the timing. Can't leave The Final Chapters on the cutting room floor nor could they leave the new series hanging on the vine for the competition so why not grab them both. Expect this to happen with the Boruito anime eventually.

Gottcha. That makes sense.

Anyway, I was thinking about it the other day. Is Sailor Moon still a big deal? I looked it up and saw that it has been a super long time since the show was on Toonami. Do they just not have the rights or has there been nothing new for a long time from the series? I just remember it being a big deal when I was growing up in the 90's. It just seems like that would be a nice ratings grab for Toonami, no?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gottcha. That makes sense.

Anyway, I was thinking about it the other day. Is Sailor Moon still a big deal? I looked it up and saw that it has been a super long time since the show was on Toonami. Do they just not have the rights or has there been nothing new for a long time from the series? I just remember it being a big deal when I was growing up in the 90's. It just seems like that would be a nice ratings grab for Toonami, no?

This also has an answer, Sailor Moon got locked up by Hulu awhile back, even outbid them for Crystal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They might snag Sailor Moon HD one day for a back of the block run and it would do pretty great. It's a good version of the show.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't get how an every other week show like Crystal can look as bad as it did. But it did.

They kinda...sorta fix it by the third season. It's still not as good as the original!

Raxus

If Boruto winds up being like DB Super and just say fuck the manga and do its own thing I would be ok with it coming on the block. What sank Naruto was its endless insistence of running in place while the manga got ahead.

Really? I've haven't played it yet but I gathered it was a bit of a rebound from Zestiria (which is probably the worst I've played and I've played most of them) and the painfully average Xillias.

I've heard it's a step in the right direction from some people. Some say it's their favorite Tales game. Far as reviews go, it's in the upper 70s, which is where Tales normally stays far as review scores go. A step up from Zestiria, where most people say it was better to just watch the anime instead of playing the game. That's the impression I've gotten from people and from some footage I've seen. The only reason I haven't gotten it yet is Zestiria disappointed me and there were other games coming out at the time for me to get like Yakuza 0.

I still have to get Gravity Rush 2 as well.

Tales of Tempest exists.

Best since vesperia is what everyone has said

It's definitely better than Graces F, both Xillia's and Zestiria

Apparently I'm talking to the wrong people about Zestiria then.

Granted one said person in this group thought the characters of Final Fantasy 13 were well defined.

Crocodile

Update:
  • Dissertation Presentation went well!
  • Dissertation Defense - I came up a bit short. My committee wants me to make some changes and additions before they pass me so they gave me some more weeks to work on it. Disappointing but that's life. I feel good I'll pass with flying colors next time :)

This might be a left-field opinion, I dunno, but I don't mind the padding much in Super at all. I know some people get really annoyed at things like Pilaf or Bulma zany antics. But, like, I don't really care about the Super Saiyan God showdown of doom or whatever so it's not like the "padding" is getting in the way of some super engaging storyline I am especially eager to see. Perhaps its a case of lowered expectations but give me some mildly amusing character interactions and I prefer that to beam struggles or whatnot.

That said I hear tonight's episode is a power-level waving contest between Goku/Beerus which doesn't sound too fun.

edit: Amusing character interaction is why early Buu Saga is enjoyable, too.

see, i'm at the point where i feel like the bad, lengthy fight is getting in the way of the jokes

Mizerman

On Power Rangers Samurai:

Yeah, Samurai was disappointing.

Update:
  • Dissertation Defense - I came up a bit short. My committee wants me to make some changes and additions before they pass me so they gave me some more weeks to work on it. Disappointing but that's life. I feel good I'll pass with flying colors next time :)

Sounds good. Keep at and you'll get there.

The Black Lagoon manga is returning May 19th.

fuck_yeah.gif

Seda

Update:

Good to hear! As with any time you get critical feedback, it stings at first but after you get a chance to go again you know the second attempt will be much improved over the first. Kinda the same feeling when you get feedback back on a draft or whatnot. You always appreciate it in the end.

Raxus

Sounds like you will nail it next time Croc. Keep up the good work!

On a totally unrelated note, Sooooooo did KFC sponsor the Sand Whale and Me?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

OH YES!!

Time to blast the B-Dubs siren

siren.gif~c200
image.php
siren.gif~c200

LOL

Update:

You got this dude!

ckohler

Just to be clear, I'm not even feeling Super dragging. I like the pilaf stuff too. I only mention it because other people seem to be wanting to point it out. It's probably because of the differences between the movie and the TV show. I've only seen the TV show so far, so the pacing seems pretty good to me. I also agree that the humor stuff is equally or better than just generic fights.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The only reason I point out the Pilaf + coworkers parts when they happen is because I felt they worked better in the movie compared to here, humor & plot wise. Though the humor in general for the most part is still good, despite a few jokes/moments that fall flat.

Probably since I remember watching most of it back in the day (nostalgia)
But I'm really enjoying season 3 of SamuJack so far. Just got through episode XXX - the Halloween special that ends in a bout with Aku

Warning, today's episode of Super is the slowest shit ever, but after this the pacing is pretty solid, though the climax of the 2nd arc is a bit slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom