• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and think about Beyond Two Souls.

DJ4jh_TYXc_AA_ICo.jpg

bigkrev

You ever wonder why YYH got a good dub, I mean I could understand Cowboy bebop but its sort of surprising how a shonen anime got a decent dub

Justin Cook got to not only play Yusuke, but was also the "director" of the dub. A cohesive creative vision goes a long way, and the idea to make Yusuke more of a punk than he was works perfectly

Seda

speaking of 90s dubs, they guy who voiced Domon from G Gundam joined twitter recently basically just to say 'Hi it's me'. Apparently, he's an actual Doctor now after retiring from acting, pretty cool.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
speaking of 90s dubs, they guy who voiced Domon from G Gundam joined twitter recently basically just to say 'Hi it's me'. Apparently, he's an actual Doctor now after retiring from acting, pretty cool.

I heard he's a dentist or something. I will say I'm a bit sad he didn't stick around, he really knew how to work those hype moments.

Justin Cook got to not only play Yusuke, but was also the "director" of the dub. A cohesive creative vision goes a long way, and the idea to make Yusuke more of a punk than he was works perfectly

I'm also not 100% sure on this, but didn't the central four VAs also record their lines together? I know that's a big difference between anime voice acting in the US compared to Japan.

If that were the case, I'd imagine them getting to play off one another also helped out a lot.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm also not 100% sure on this, but didn't the central four VAs also record their lines together? I know that's a big difference between anime voice acting in the US compared to Japan.

If that were the case, I'd imagine them getting to play off one another also helped out a lot.

I wish more series actually did that, you can usually tell when they do (I think FMP did and that dub was awesome), since it tends to result in a better finished product.

While I think dubs are better these days sometimes I do wonder how dubbing so much so quickly has affected the quality they might otherwise have had. Space Dandy turned out great but not everything's gonna be Space Dandy

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
While I think dubs are better these days sometimes I do wonder how dubbing so much so quickly has affected the quality they might otherwise have had. Space Dandy turned out great but not everything's gonna be Space Dandy

It'll all depend on how much they care about an individual show. Something like the new Full Metal Panic season will likely have an awesome dub due to who is involved, while the ecchi harem of the season show will probably be middling at best.

Morlas

It'll all depend on how much they care about an individual show. Something like the new Full Metal Panic season will likely have an awesome dub due to who is involved, while the
ecchi harem of the season show will probably be middling at best.
Yep the one piece dub is excellent because the writers love the show and you can tell same with db super

I need to watch Full Metal Panic

I need to read and watch everything...reading (books not sub's) is easier than the latter for me, though

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I need to watch Full Metal Panic

I need to read and watch everything...reading (books not sub's) is easier than the latter for me, though

Unfortunately only 4 of the books made it into english before the localization company went bust. There's a manga that covers the main plot (not the side stories) though if you know where to look.

I'm just stating that it's easier for me to get into books or comics than shows...but then, I suppose both tasks are also easier than getting into JRPGs I'm unfamiliar with

Btw backing the convo up a bit, G4's website still exists but its a zombie website forever stuck in 2012:
http://www.g4tv.com/

*Explains Bliss PPG episode*

Spoiler tagging if anyone gives a shit

"I have to go, the planets need me."

NOTE: Bliss died on her way to Saturn.

Yeah his voice-alike has been doing a good job with Domon in the games for awhile now. but I do miss his original voice actor, he probably thought this anime voice acting thing wasn't going to go anywhere waaaay back when anime was starting in the americas and went back to college. god damn do I want him as a primary care doctor though!

Morlas

Btw backing the convo up a bit, G4's website still exists but its a zombie website forever stuck in 2012:
http://www.g4tv.com/

"I have to go, the planets need me."

NOTE: Bliss died on her way to Saturn.

Yeah his voice-alike has been doing a good job with Domon in the games for awhile now. but I do miss his original voice actor, he probably thought this anime voice acting thing wasn't going to go anywhere waaaay back when anime was starting in the americas and went back to college. god damn do I want him as a primary care doctor though!
I'm glad they at least kept the B theme going strong

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only really popular Gundam getting a new HD version. Every nostalgia show besides Sailor Moon getting a run. Wing is a stone cold lock.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Unless it's G Gundam, I really don't have any desire for Gundam on the block, find a different giant robot anime to bring to the block.

cntr

Banned
I still laugh at the fact that Domon's VA became a dentist. Too bad he didn't go for a field that'd let you use your fingers, though.

also I've said it before and I'll say it again, get some god damn super robot shows

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You'll get Gundam Wing and you'll like it. Outlaw Star is going to end in spring! So will IBO Season 2! Prepare yourself!

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and think about Beyond Two Souls.

DJ4jh_TYXc_AA_ICo.jpg

That one guy thinks his games are better than any other, huh?

I still laugh at the fact that Domon's VA became a dentist. Too bad he didn't go for a field that'd let you use your fingers, though.

also I've said it before and I'll say it again, get some god damn super robot shows

Question! Is there a Super Robot thread/OT?

cntr

Banned
you know, it'd be kind of funny to air Mazinger Z and Getter Robo when everybody's watched Gurren Lagann first, 'cause a lot of the ideas in it were (deliberately) lifted from those two shows and others.

(e.g., Spiral Energy is a direct reference to Getter Rays,
complete with the idea of the universe being destroyed by it
)

Question! Is there a Super Robot thread/OT?
Nope. Though the SRW threads kind of fill that role.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Add five weeks to everything in Seda's list for dates ending and late spring/summer is going to be a deluge of shows. Outlaw Star, IBO 2, Jim Jam, and DBZ Kai all end.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
2018 is certainly going to be an interesting year, especially when it feels like there's very few "highly requested" shows left.

There's also the question of will they have something to replace AoT2's rerun slot or will they just have Cowboy Bebop end the block?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd rather watch Wing HD than TTGL again.

2018 is certainly going to be an interesting year, especially when it feels like there's very few "highly requested" shows left.

There's also the question of will they have something to replace AoT2's rerun slot or will they just have Cowboy Bebop end the block?

The only other show ending around that time is Tokyo Ghoul.

cntr

Banned
Man God wants to see us soar

and then crash miserably down in flames

I'd assume either Tokyo Ghoul or 2nd GiG.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Strengths of Wing:

Incredible soundtrack. Note this wasn't enough to save Unicron.
Great Mobile Suit design. Way more interesting than most of the suits in Unicron or even IBO.
90's as fuck.
It's got that in year 2000 dub.
Batshit insane characters. Always good for conversation starters.
The raw magnetism of one Treize Kushrinada. He's a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Downside of Gundam Wing.

90's as fuck.
It'd be the longest Gundam series they'd air, taking up over a year because of holidays. Not a huge deal since I don't see it airing before Lupin/Outlaw Star o clock.
It's not getting a redub.

Seda

Add five weeks to everything in Seda's list for dates ending and late spring/summer is going to be a deluge of shows. Outlaw Star, IBO 2, Jim Jam, and DBZ Kai all end.

In 2018, there is decent spacing between show end dates, 4-6 weeks or so. So it's not like the lineup will change overnight, but still, I get what you mean.

Dragon Ball Kai's replacement situation is obviously most interesting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd assume either Tokyo Ghoul or 2nd GiG.

I'd say nothing is about as likely as TG. 2nd GiG would be my personal choice.

Maybe

1. Nothing.
2. Tokyo Ghoul. I'm definitely breaking my rule and going to bed every week if this happens.
3. 2nd GiG.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Watch as Kai gets the rerun treatment at the end of the block, so the block starts & ends with Dragon Ball.

cntr

Banned
If you don't take it seriously, Wing is actually pretty entertaining because it's fuckin' dumb. But that's true of most old Gundam.

The dub OT suggested that they could double up on Super once Kai ends to catch up to the subs. The Spanish dub is already doing something similar.

I'd be okay with that, tbh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In 2018, there is decent spacing between show end dates, 4-6 weeks or so. So it's not like the lineup will change overnight, but still, I get what you mean.

Everything on the block besides Super, Shippuden, and HxH will end before midsummer.

It is nicely spaced out though. AoT2 and Tokyo Ghoul are the only two ending where they would need to do two schedule promos practically back to back, and only if AOT2 actually gets replaced.

Seda

The dub OT suggested that they could double up on Super once Kai ends to catch up to the subs. The Spanish dub is already doing something similar.

I'd be okay with that, tbh.

They should do this but I have a feeling they won't.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, FLCL2's happening.

They almost never talk about it, so I keep forgetting about it. That certainly seems like it could be Lupin or Outlaw Star's replacement, but put at the beginning of the block & bumping everything afterwards.

Top Bottom