• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Smash88

Banned
Glad to hear about the support for the modding scene. I'm excited to see what comes from it. Hopefully Steam Workshop is implemented.

I just hope my GTX Titan can handle this game. CA is known for poorly optimizing their games.

Hrothgar

The GPU won't be the bottleneck. CA has real issues with utilizing multiple CPU cores in their last few games, so high clock is more important.

Im so pumped for this since the Roman period is my favorite period in history.

If i'm able to max out Shogun 2 w the largest unit amounts, will I have no issue with Rome 2?

isual

fuark. this comes out on Tuesday morning ? Man. I wanna skip class, only 1. Good thing no work.

huehuehue

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I've only played Shogun 2, but really enjoyed it so I'll grab Rome 2. Question: do other Total War games and/or Rome 2 have a mechanic similar to Realm Divide? I felt this was annoying in Shogun 2 as it undermined your diplomatic efforts a little too much.

Shogun 2 is the first to feature Realm Divide. I believe CA said in an interview that there will be something similar in Rome II, but it won't be as severe and/or it will be more subtle.

Zushin

Shogun 2 is the first to feature Realm Divide. I believe CA said in an interview that there will be something similar in Rome II, but it won't be as severe and/or it will be more subtle.

Ah okay. Hopefully it won't be as drastic then.

Lingitiz

I wonder what the general consensus was on realm divide. I thought it happened a bit too fast in regular Shogun 2, but I enjoyed it a bit in FOTS. Going head to head with a rival vanguard nation got pretty intense towards the end.

Civil War is the Realm Divide, I believe.
The 3 gens from the Rome faction.

demolitio

Finally, proper mod support again. That's been one of the few grips I've had starting with Empire since it adds so much re-playability to the game and where mods can practically provide you with a whole new game in a unique genre. If the Game of Thrones mod came to Rome 2's engine, I'd be in heaven. If Third Age got a new version, I'd be in heaven...again...

I can't wait to see where they take their DLC for this one since there's so much history in this era in either direction.

Martian

Now let's just hope they release the modding kit around the release as well. If I remember correctly Shogun 2's came out like half a year later, which made the modding community smaller.

I hope we'll see a Greek expansion (Greek wars during the Roman invasion) or set during the Belli Gallico. A proper Alexander (unlike Rome 1's) would be nice too. I'm sure CA will make it work.

Martian

Someone put together all the released tutorial videos on youtube. Probably a good place to start for new players.

Damn, I just saw this video and now I am even more excited. WHY DIDNT THEY RELEASE THE GAME TODAY?
For once in my life I have a monday off and they decide to release it on tuesday?
This game looks soooooo good dude

Definitely going to be my GOTY

tmespe

Perhaps its a good idea to tell us where you live (if you live in the US people from Europe cant easily play with you and vice versa).

I am excited for this game, just hoping that they bring the ''impact'' factor back from games before Shogun 2. I feel the units in Shogun 2 were too easily killed, and therefore I never really had a connection with my troops.
Whereas in Rome 1 and Medieval 2 I actually felt like there was a massive clash between troops

I agree. The impact between units clashing in medieval 2 was phenomenal. Seeing my byzantine vanguard going crazy on a bunch of Italian knights for the first time was jaw dropping.

Someone put together all the released tutorial videos on youtube. Probably a good place to start for new players.

I hadn't seen these. Thanks for sharing! This game just keeps on looking better. I will finish a campaign with the Romans before I play multiplayer, but if anyone is interested in playing multiplayer at some point, feel free to add me on steam.

Irminsul

Just looked up what's in the Collector's Edition... Wow, that's really something and nearly urges me to buy that version. If it only weren't €130, that's fucking expensive.

Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to this game. It's been a while since I last played Rome 1, but I have really fond memories of that. It's gonna be great :)

Martian

I hope they fix or at least vastly improve the shitty AI.

Same, although over the course of the series it has definitively improved quite a bit.

I just hope diplomacy will be different than that from Shogun 2. In earlier games you could at least make a trade agreement with other factios, but in shogun 2 that was nearly impossible (even moreso on harder difficulties).

I also found out one feature that has been lost (gamebreaking):
the Triarii don't yell out TREE-YAR-EE-I anymore, its just Tree-are-ee

Figure I'll ask here since most have have probably played it, what are the best mods for Empire and Napoleon? Haven't spent nearly enough time with either. And are there any noticeable blood mods by any chance, really felt Shogun 2's dlc added a lot of punch to the battles.

Only saw the OT now. Looks great. Rome in my opinion is the best timeframe for TW series so I'm pretty hyped. I play Carthage due to my inability to win battles without spamming elephants. Oh and Hannibal too I guess...

I hope we still get "ELL-EEE-PHANT!"

Martian

Figure I'll ask here since most have have probably played it, what are the best mods for Empire and Napoleon? Haven't spent nearly enough time with either. And are there any noticeable blood mods by any chance, really felt Shogun 2's dlc added a lot of punch to the battles.

Dont know about blood mods, but Darthmod is a must have for Empire and I hear the WW1 mod for Napoleon is pretty rad. I suggest Darthmod for Empire first, because it fixes many things wrong with vanilla.
There are also mods that make the smaller factions playable (ie malta and native tribes) if you are into that

Lach

Great news on modding.
I wish they'd reintroduce the cinematic editor so you can make awesome battle videos! They had one in in Medieval 2 but (as far as I know) none in the later games...

tmespe

Same, although over the course of the series it has definitively improved quite a bit.

All my hype killed! If only I could get a refund.

I so wish this game had come come out before Labor Day so I could have a large chunk of free time to play it. Oh well now I'll just have to stay up late Tuesday to play it and try not to fall asleep during physics the next day.

Man I loved Medieval II so much. I played that and Kingdoms soo many hours.

1) The setting. The crusades. I can't think of a period or era more crazy. We should have had so many more crazy films about this period. Maybe its because the "holy lands" are still so conflicted with war and genocide and hatred. Kingdom of Heaven: Directors Cut is the only thing I've seen that has tackled the subject with dignity.

2) As others said.. the way your swordsman clashed when they seiged the walls. Nothing was better than just zooming in and watching them go at it. That's the essence of Total War. Seeing history with a flying camera unfold. Better than any documentary, more satisfying than any cgi war film! you're in control!

My computer runs Shogun 2 pretty well with shadows set to low, but I am afraid to try Darthmod or Rome 2. The graphics are amazing.. and I bet I can't run it well with my SLI Nvidia470's.

diamount

Banned

Darthmod, by far.

Aranath

Actually, it's 'tree-are-ee-ee', which is correct. 'ee-i' with that, denarii and so on always bugged the crap out of me playing the first game.

Martian

Actually, it's 'tree-are-ee-ee', which is correct. 'ee-i' with that, denarii and so on always bugged the crap out of me playing the first game.

Well its supposed to be latin, so I dont think they went for authenticity.
I merely miss the manly roar of my Triarii shouting their name

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Addressing the region locking mentioned in the OP, I'll add that while retail subs for the game are indeed region-locked (here's what appears to be the RU/CIS retail sub, for instance -- note the onlyallowrunincountries flag), there's just the one universal pre-order sub for the Steam store, so it's completely region-free, meaning purchasing a copy from traders for ~$35 is a valid option:

Steam AU:
rome2_steamau6gabg.jpg

Steam RU:
rome2_steamru92xx8.jpg

The sub:

Addressing the region locking mentioned in the OP, I'll add that while retail subs for the game are indeed region-locked (here's what appears to be the RU/CIS retail sub, for instance -- note the onlyallowrunincountries flag), there's just the one universal pre-order sub for the Steam store, so it's completely region-free, meaning purchasing a copy from traders for ~$35 is a valid option:

Steam AU:
rome2_steamau6gabg.jpg

Steam RU:
rome2_steamru92xx8.jpg

The sub:
rome2_preordersuba0afg.jpg
Holy shit!

Felt burned when Empire came out so buggy, and swore off Creative Assembly preorders at that point...but I've made the late decision to buy this blind anyway. Fav game series maybe ever and I have faith they won't release their flagship title in an unplayable state. The last Shogun was quality on release too...so I'm in on a Steam pre-order. Now all I need to do is find the time to play, and then decide what other aspects of my life I can ignore so I have more time once I'm hooked, and then stock up on caffeine products for dealing with the morning after at work.

FACE

Banned
Felt burned when Empire came out so buggy, and swore off Creative Assembly preorders at that point...but I've made the late decision to buy this blind anyway. Fav game series maybe ever and I have faith they won't release their flagship title in an unplayable state. The last Shogun was quality on release too...so I'm in on a Steam pre-order. Now all I need to do is find the time to play, and then decide what other aspects of my life I can ignore so I have more time once I'm hooked, and then stock up on caffeine products for dealing with the morning after at work.

Lol, I expect this to be buggy and broken for at least a few months :p

FGMPR

Banned
Lol, I expect this to be buggy and broken for at least a few months :p

Shogun 2 was in good shape at launch, although Rome 2 is clearly the most ambitious game they've made since Empire, which probably doesn't bode so well for a smooth launch.

Hopefully it isn't so bad to the point where the AI can't land their boats; after Empire launched, it took me a while to figure out why my Great Britain game was such a cakewalk lol.

DrBo42

Never played the first one but I love Roman history and that time period in general, pre-load complete. Now to find out how to not be terrible at the game. I assume co-op skirmishes are possible, what about campaign?

Martian

Shogun 2 was in good shape at launch, although Rome 2 is clearly the most ambitious game they've made since Empire, which probably doesn't bode so well for a smooth launch.

Hopefully it isn't so bad to the point where the AI can't land their boats; after Empire launched, it took me a while to figure out why my Great Britain game was such a cakewalk lol.

Part of the reason Empire was so buggy, was because of the new engine. Napoleon was a large improvement and Rome is built on the same engine. I imagine this will of course have bugs, but way less than Empire

KorrZ

Playing a little Medieval 2: Kingdoms (with SS mod) to pass the time until Rome 2.

ocfwJoj.jpg

Hmm...don't think I'm going to be invading Spain anytime soon.

tmespe

Playing a little Medieval 2: Kingdoms (with SS mod) to pass the time until Rome 2.

Hmm...don't think I'm going to be invading Spain anytime soon.

They'll probably end up invading you. Along with England, HRE and Milan. At least that's what always happened to me whenever I attempted to play France in that game.

patapuf

They'll probably end up invading you. Along with England, HRE and Milan. At least that's what always happened to me whenever I attempted to play France in that game.

Jep, which is why i always killed the english as quickly as possible. After that HRE is usually pretty weak early game.

Top Bottom