• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Totino's Presents: Sonic 25th Anniversary Bee Farm and Vacuuming Convention

How excited are you for Sonic Mania?

Results are only viewable after voting.
It would be anti-hype if they made another 2D game like Sonic 4.

They are hyping it too much... It must be a 3D game, Generations 2 or something different.

Not a fan of Unleashed-to-Generation's style of 3D gameplay, especially the boost ability as well as its levels consisting of nothing but hallways and bad 2D sections.

So I hope it's not just another one of that (but if it is, at least make it as fun and polished as Colors - the best one.)

Cn1rwZgW8AAEDEy.jpg

Obligatory Hype Train.

I have no idea what to expect with this mythical new Sonic game. I'm just really hoping it doesn't leak for once, I want to be surprised there and then. I just don't want nostalgia-pandering really... no sequels. A new Sonic experience is what I want, now 'SA3' or Generations 2.

...at this point, they could show a GIF of Sonic riding a chicken and I'd probably be hyped though.

Awesome

Can we expect 2 game announcements?

Ein Bear

Really excited to see what they've been working on, I've got high expectations for what the Generations team have managed to put together with such a long development period.

Shorter term, it would be really cool if they released the Taxman ports of the Mega Drive games onto consoles/PC to celebrate the anniversary. And also let him do S3&K.

Aki-at

It would be anti-hype if they made another 2D game like Sonic 4.

They are hyping it too much... It must be a 3D game, Generations 2 or something different.

See the problem in itself isn't another 2D game like Sonic 4, there's nothing wrong with 2D games.

The problem was the design choices and how much they rehashed the original's artwork in Sonic 4 hurt the game (And the music wasn't very suited to Sonic) If they attempt another 2D Sonic game, I don't know get someone like Taxman to develop the physics, and tried their hardest to make a proper game with a decent budget (IIRC Sonic 4 was meant to be called Sonic mobile until SoA/SoE got involved) it'd work well enough I feel.

That being said, I'd much rather prefer a 3D title than a 2D one, we have plenty of great 2D Sonic games but not enough great 3D Sonic game (Sonic Adventure aged badly and both Generations and Colours are good but I can still find faults in them)

Optimism caution: Modern Sonic games are all about dips and peaks, man. High highs and low lows. And the last few years have been a hell of a low.

All I ask for is a good, AAA feeling Sonic game (or at least that it has a good budget) and Sonic & Sega All Star Fighting Megamix Championship.

Maedhros

All I want is multiple playable characters done right (as in Sonic 3 & Knuckles not Sonic Boom).

Please.

And by Multiple I mean Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy

Kouichi

I'm still holding onto the wrinkle of hope for the true Sonic Adventure 3 with the glorious return of chao!

But I'm expecting Sonic Generations 2, which is still pretty neat.

crash-14

Not a fan of Unleashed-to-Generation's style of 3D gameplay, especially the boost ability as well as its levels consisting of nothing but hallways and bad 2D sections.

So I hope it's not just another one of that (but if it is, at least make it as fun and polished as Colors - the best one.)

Listen to this man.

I don't care what people says about Unleashed days section being good. For me, that certified Sonic's dead after 06 (Not the wolfy thing which was also bad).

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Please not Generations 2. Something more ambitious.

Samemind

Please not Generations 2. Something more ambitious.

Thanks, I was thinking earlier about a realization I had for what I'd hoped for the new game and ambition is the word. What triggered that thought for me was the thread on best Level 1 tunes in the series and I kind of lingered on Palm Tree Panic, which got me thinking about Sonic CD in general. Even as one of the first sequels to series, that game took a pretty big leap in scope: every single level (or almost) had 4 different variations, each with its own tune, tileset and tweaks of level design. I would kind of want to see that in the new game, just an actual, concerted effort to bring something new and impressive to the series.

Daingurse

Everytime they try to do something "ambitious" it winds up being crappy tho

Haha, true. I just want a good game. I don't care if it's Generations 2, Sonic 5, Sonic Adventure 3, or a completely fresh idea. I just want a decent fucking Sonic game. But man, I don't trust Sonic Team to reinvent the wheel haha, and frankly I quite enjoy the boost gameplay style, so I wouldn't really mind more of that.

Het_Nkik

I want a Lost World sequel. I feel like they were on the right track with that game for what I want in a 3D Sonic title. They just need to refine it.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles 2. Give that shit the Donkey Kong Country Returns or Rayman Origins treatment.

But I'd be more than okay with this as well.

Haha, true. I just want a good game. I don't care if it's Generations 2, Sonic 5, Sonic Adventure 3, or a completely fresh idea. I just want a decent fucking Sonic game. But man, I don't trust Sonic Team to reinvent the wheel haha, and frankly I quite enjoy the boost gameplay style, so I wouldn't really mind more of that.
Same. It'd be cool to have some whole new take on the franchise, maybe like an open world game or something cool, but like... can they do it right? Their open worlds suck (See: SA1, S06, Unleashed, etc) and when they try to cram a bunch of different, new ideas into one game, at least half of them wind up being boring or even broken (See: SA1, SA2, S06, etc). They need to make something more focused and arcade-like where the length of the game comes from its replay value.

If they design one, MAYBE two gameplay styles, they can probably whip up something half decent where maybe more than half of the game isn't a slog to get through. Even Unleashed for example, I consider to be a decent game. The hub worlds are lame and the Werehog is a slog, but it was worth it to me to get to the Daytime levels. Then we have Generations & Colors that decided to focus almost 100% on gameplay instead of trying to reinvent the wheel or bog the experience down with a ridiculous story or multiple playable characters, and because of which I put lots of hours into them and even got some of my friends into it as well.

They don't need to make Generations 2, but they need to make something FOCUSED. Even if they decide to have a story in there, dare I say one that's maybe a little dark or grand in scale, if there's one playable character in the game with no more than 2 variations of play, we may have something good on our hands. If not, then whelp, maybe next anniversary! :p

See the problem in itself isn't another 2D game like Sonic 4, there's nothing wrong with 2D games.

The problem was the design choices and how much they rehashed the original's artwork in Sonic 4 hurt the game (And the music wasn't very suited to Sonic) If they attempt another 2D Sonic game, I don't know get someone like Taxman to develop the physics, and tried their hardest to make a proper game with a decent budget (IIRC Sonic 4 was meant to be called Sonic mobile until SoA/SoE got involved) it'd work well enough I feel.

That being said, I'd much rather prefer a 3D title than a 2D one, we have plenty of great 2D Sonic games but not enough great 3D Sonic game (Sonic Adventure aged badly and both Generations and Colours are good but I can still find faults in them)

Yeah. If we get another game like Sonic 4, that would certainly be a letdown. But if it's a 2D game that actually plays just like the Genesis games, I'd be all for that!

Kyari

All I want is multiple playable characters done right (as in Sonic 3 & Knuckles not Sonic Boom).

Please.

And by Multiple I mean Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy

Every time Sega says "We listened, no friends, just Sonic as the only playable character!" I die inside over how massively they missed the point.

People didn't hate Sonic's dumb friends from the Dreamcast era onwards because they were new, they hated them because it involved bullshit like third person lock on shooting, treasure hunting or fishing.

Go back to the Sonic 3 & Knuckles / Advance series of one largely shared move set with a unique twist on each character that can result in alternate playstyles/routes.

Daingurse

Every time Sega says "We listened, no friends, just Sonic as the only playable character!" I die inside over how massively they missed the point.

Haha yep, me too. I've never had an issue with Sonic's "shitty friends". I've only took issue with their shitty, gimmicky play styles. Sonic should be the base template for all characters, speed based platforming. Then like in S3&K, each character should have individual traits on top of that. I want the variety of other characters, while still having the core gameplay be focused on moving quickly through levels. No treasure hunting, no mech suits, none of that gimmicky shit.

See, I've never cared to play as anyone but Sonic. The other characters always felt gimmicky to me, even as a kid. Flying and climbing with Tails and Knuckles felt tacked on and something that just slowed the game down. I always wanted to just keep moving, it felt weird to me to switch from controls that were built from the ground up to have you constantly moving and being pushed forward by the hilly and uneven terrain to slow flying and climbing. Felt unnatural to me.

-Ryn

Banned
I do believe this. And I do enjoy that game. It's only real issue was loading time. Every sonic game has glitches.
It's only "real" issue? The game was filled with issues dude. The game design, the loading times, the glitches, the game feel; it was the whole package.

Top Bottom