• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Totino's Presents: Sonic 25th Anniversary Bee Farm and Vacuuming Convention

How excited are you for Sonic Mania?

Results are only viewable after voting.

bman94

Give me this sequel.

Sonic_All-Stars_Racing_Transformed_logo.jpg

Isn't Sumo Digital working on Dead Island 2?

I want to be on the train! I'm really hoping for the Chao to make a comeback in a main Sonic game.

Of all the things Sega could capitalize on, it astounds me that they never used the Chao raising aspect outside of Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and the advance games. Like if Sega had a Chao raising game on mobile devices literred with micro-transactions, I probably would be a whale for that game.

Elija2

Every fucking time 10 people say this and every fucking time I have to link this article to tell you it's untrue.

Sonic 2006 was never intended to be Sonic Adventure 3. End of Story.

I don't buy it. Sonic Unleashed plays nothing like the Adventure games, whereas Sonic 06 is similar to them in many ways. Just because they never intended for 06 to be Sonic Adventure 3 doesn't mean that it didn't act as a spiritual successor to that series, and in the end that's what most of the people asking for a new Sonic Adventure game want.

I don't buy it. Sonic Unleashed plays nothing like the Adventure games, whereas Sonic 06 is similar to them in many ways. Just because they never intended for 06 to be Sonic Adventure 3 doesn't mean that it didn't act as a spiritual successor to that series, and in the end that's what most of the people asking for a new Sonic Adventure game want.
They're both pretty similar, really. 06's similarities are more blatant, but Unleashed pretty clearly takes inspiration from the Adventure series even if the base "Sonic" gameplay is a new take. Both SA1 and SA2 are pretty different as it is, the only thing that connects them really are the multiple playstyles and the names. The pacing of the two are super different as are the controls for each character.

ionitron

I'm excited but I'm also in the camp that does not really want a Sonic Generations 2 or a Sonic 5. I guess Sonic Generations 2 wouldn't be too bad if they were all original levels, but I dunno, I would like something new. Could be a platformer in the vein of Sonic Generations but with a playable Tails and Knuckles instead of classic Sonic, I dunno.

Sonic Unleashed is called Sonic World Adventure in Japan.

And I hate to say it, but Sonic 06 plays just as much like Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog than the Adventure games.

G0523

So, the Nintendo eShop is currently having a Sonic sale.

(Sonic 1 & 2 for 3DS are on sale too but they're under "3D Sonic" so they won't be under S like the other Sonic games.)

Hmm...how strange that Nintendo put these games on sale now instead of last month for Sonic's birthday. Hmm,,,

Jay RaR

lmao, can't even tell if the 06 port/remaster begging is serious half the time.

Eagerly waiting for this. Just gotta wait a day.

Vex_

Banned
I'll always be optimistic about a new sonic game. Even if I know there is a chance it will be a blue bomba. He is my childhood hero, he deserves that much :'c

Please don't fail me, Sega.

Maedhros

See, I've never cared to play as anyone but Sonic. The other characters always felt gimmicky to me, even as a kid. Flying and climbing with Tails and Knuckles felt tacked on and something that just slowed the game down. I always wanted to just keep moving, it felt weird to me to switch from controls that were built from the ground up to have you constantly moving and being pushed forward by the hilly and uneven terrain to slow flying and climbing. Felt unnatural to me.

You're part of the problem. You are one of these guys that play the game just running forward, part of the reason they changed their design visions to what we see in Sonic Advance 2 onwards and other games like Sonic Adventure 2 and forward.

You could play with the other characters just as good as with playing with Sonic. They all had very similar speeds, with the benefit of having other alternative paths to explore. Never felt that they were slow or anything.

Love Advance 1 because they still kept what was great in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, while introducing Amy as playable (great character in that game).

zeioIIDX

Sonic VR Blast? Sonic & Knuckles '16? Lmao. I have no clue what might get announced tomorrow but I'm mildly optimistic.

You're part of the problem. You are one of these guys that play the game just running forward, part of the reason they changed their design visions to what we see in Sonic Advance 2 onwards and other games like Sonic Adventure 2 and forward.
What!? Why so hostile? Hahahhah you don't know me dude. "Part of the problem?" What? It's a video game dude. I think you need to relax.

My point was that I prefer the vanilla controls and felt that the other characters with their extra moves were superfluous. Sonic CD is my favorite game in the series and that's nowhere near as dumbed down as Rush, Advance 2 and 3, etc. You didn't need climbing and flying to take advantage of adventurous level design when the physics allowed you to traverse great lengths without extra moves. That was my point and you spun it into some crazy crap for some reason?

I remember Iizuka saying the classic Sonic from Generations was supposed to be a one off thing because of the 20th anniversary celebration. But that just comes across as a stubborn mindset given that his design and his stages were very well received for the game. Why ignore that?

I'd say a 25th anniversary more than warrants another Generations. In fact, I'd say a new generations game every 5 years is perfectly acceptable.

Ferr986

Finally, the long awaited physical release of the Sonic Chronicles soundtrack.

Sonic CD 2 please

My man!

Sonic CD 2. Full 2D HD next gen awesome looking graphics. Real time time travel system. Surreal art style like CD 1.

...Now I need this.

Marow

Do we expect the new game announcement at the start of the stream or later in? I don't know how SEGA handles their streams.

Been playing through the original trilogy (& Knuckles) and Sonic CD on steam last few days.

My first console when I was six was a Mega Drive with Sonic the Hedgehog. It has a fond place in my heart. 25 years.

However the Trilogy and CD are amazing games, they have been the pinnacle of the series thus far and I hope we get a remastered collection, gorgeous graphics same levels. It doesn't need to be a new game.

3D game wise the last one I play was Sonic Heroes, and I thought it was fun, but been wary since 06 and the poor reception.

Sonic 4 was tripe.

Sonic R and Racing were both amazing (the former had a fantastic soundtrack.).

I hope they make an effort in to this. Sonic has been dragged through the mud and any good game is usually dismissed.

marmoka

Banned
Hoping to wake up tomorrow and read great news about the next Sonic game.

Hopefully is something with Modern Sonic gameplay like Generations, which had a perfect gameplay.

Hopefully is the return of Classic Sonic, mixing 2D and 3D gameplay, with Generations engine for Classic Sonic.

Hopefully we don't have to stand Sonic's shitty friends again, just Tails.

hopefully is not another Adventure-style game. We already had 3 and Sonic was a joke during those years.

So much Hypeeeee!! But I should have my body ready for disappointment.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

(Sonic 1 & 2 for 3DS are on sale too but they're under "3D Sonic" so they won't be under S like the other Sonic games.)

Hmm...how strange that Nintendo put these games on sale now instead of last month for Sonic's birthday. Hmm,,,

Well, it's Sega's decision and considering they are celebrating Sonic's birthday this week, it seems reasonable. By the way, these ports are incredible.

Yeah it's Sega's call, and holy SHIT I never realized how intriguing the timing is with this. o_O

I mean EVERY Wii U and 3DS game bar the Olympic games and Game Gear ones sans Triple Trouble are on sale here. With nothing on any other system that I can tell at the moment (Steam, PS3, 360, etc).

Why is Triple Trouble the only GG game they ever put on sale? I want Sonic 2. :p

chozen

Too soon for a generations 2 man, this is supposed to be the future of sonic here.

Something big and new.

This game HAS to be good, and it HAS to impress.

The sonic the hedgehog twitter and facebook has been talking to much shit and memeing around online for this game to look unimpressive. If so it will finally be time for him to be shit on lol and im not sure how that account is going to fight back. If its memes and shit then yeah, Sonic is a joke at that point to me.

Village

Gens 2 where the only new game repped between that and Gen 1 being Lost World would be pretty miserable. There's better things to do right now.

Good thing there are bunches of other games and other levels from sonic games that werents sonic generations

Amongst the other additions shown in mods, like alternate styles of play via other playable dudes.

So no actually, its fine and everyone would like it.

Good thing there are bunches of other games and other levels from sonic games that wasn't sonic generations

Amongst the other additions shown in mods, like alternate styles of play via other playable dues.

So no you are wrong

Just make generations 2, its actually fine.

I'm not wrong! You can't keep celebrating a franchise's nostalgic value every 5 years when you're not adding anything worthwhile to the brand in the interim spaces! It's ridiculous and is a seriously bad look for the series. They need to make... at least two more reasonably decent Sonic games before he gets to be nostalgic again. That's my line.

Besides, people only want Gens 2 because it was good. Just make a game with that gameplay (the Modern Sonic gameplay specifically, though an original Hedgehog Engine sidescroller in that vein would be A-OK too) and people would be excited. Probably more excited than if it was another game with GHZ again. I think the nostalgia is detrimental right now.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't think no friends is the way to go but rather refined gameplay for each character. Sonic Adventure did it quite well for half the cast.
This. Friends are fine, but split them up like in SA1 and never give us Big the Cat again.

I'd be cool if two of the other characters were Silver and Shadow and they played like a slightly different Sonic with different stages. Hell, throw Blaze in there too.

Darcotik

Banned
SEGA is so lame, as usual. An US event at 6pm means middle of the night for Europe. Maybe their aim was to get ten spectators out of San Diego.

Top Bottom