• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Totino's Presents: Sonic 25th Anniversary Bee Farm and Vacuuming Convention

How excited are you for Sonic Mania?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tsunamo

Crazy to think it's been almost three years since the last mainline Sonic game. It'll be nice to have a new one again, feels like it's been way too long.

With that said though I didn't enjoy Lost World all that much (it was a fun game, but the level design was all over the place and I wasn't much of a fan of the new gameplay system), so i'm curious to see what gameplay direction Sonic Team take the next installment in.

SEGA is so lame, as usual. An US event at 6pm means middle of the night for Europe. Maybe their aim was to get ten spectators out of San Diego.

Try to find me a time that's good for everybody to stream, as well as good for a live party-type event in California.

Village

edit:

I don't trust sega to just make simply a new 3d sonic game that plays like generation, and understanding the novelty of that with out trying to add or remove mechanics. So maybe if its generations 2, they will just leave it be.

Aki-at

Try to find me a time that's good for everybody to stream, as well as good for a live party-type event in California.

Everybody at this point is every Sonic fan minus American fans.

It's not exactly a good time for what could be the largest Sonic market. I'd like to watch the event but it's 2am for me and the UK is the closet to American time zone, if it started sooner or later shorter it would have been fine. Oh well such is life :(

ChaosXVI

I'm also pretty surprised this hasn't leaked yet. Hell Generations got leaked almost 6 months before it's official announcement! SEGA's usually the worst at keeping big secrets.

KingBroly

Banned
He is pretty iconic, it makes sense to celebrate a big anniversary with him.

I'd be really surprised if SEGA didn't have a modern Sonic game though. Not too much longer to find out luckily!

Modern Sonic's been focused on longer than Classic Sonic at this point.

Village

Sonic: The Movie details
Sonic: The Movie - The Game details

- slow claps-

Wow man, I didn't even think of that bottom thing

I now have a big frighten.

I had a bunch disappointing scenario's running through my head. I never thought of something actually frightening. Thinking outside the disappointment box i see

You put the fear in me

Generations 2, Adventure 3, Colours 2, New Classic...we all seem to want different things, I'm sure someone wants Sonic Labyrinth 2.

I want Adventure 3 and Sonic 5 btw.

Xieldos

I want: A game like the original Sonic Adventure with an overworld

Will accept: Sonic Generations 2, Sonic 5

EDIT: I'd quite like a new Sonic All-Stars racing game actually...

Sami+

multiple characters
hub worlds
chao gardens
story
quality

Don't care what the game is called that's all I ask

ShadiWulf

iizuka looks so happy having his picture taken with Sonic Boom

Cn905bmVYAEyk6b.jpg:large

picture from Japanese 20th anniversary account

https://twitter.com/sonic20th/status/756451803776954368/

Regiruler

Colors style art design (re-use and brush up the original planets I don't even care)

Lost World gameplay

Generations hub world

let me give you my money sega

Aki-at

Modern Sonic's been focused on longer than Classic Sonic at this point.

Which is why I'm thinking we might get another redesign of the Sonic model. Current one has been in use since 2008 and I get the feeling they might do something similar to that Nenodroid Sonic.

S3K is still, to my knowledge, in legal hell right now.

I'm not sure what the legal issue would be, though. Has anybody ever explained this? If it's solely about the music, one would've thought it'd have snagged stuff like the Xbox 360, Xbox One, Steam and PS3 releases of the original, not to mention the multiple compilation discs released in the generation prior across multiple platforms.

Indeed, Sonic 1/2's music was in a legal quagmire of its own where SEGA were unable to remix music from those games without paying out hefty royalties to the composer, who still owns those tracks. That's why Sonic Adventure 2's Green Hill uses the original music, why the only remixed Sonic tracks in Smash are from Sonic 3, etc. They obviously chose to pay out for Generations. It's also of course why the 'Round Clear' music was replaced after Sonic 2 but then remained the same forever after that, because Masa owned it. That's also why there was no official Sonic 1/2 soundtrack release until 5 years ago - it took that long to convince Masa to do it.

Even if a similar issue exists with the Jackson music, the emulated rereleases suggest that SEGA still owns the music as-is, those versions that were featured in the original game... and a Taxman release wouldn't remix, so... right?

I dunno, ah, it's confusing, but I've always thought the 'legal issues' around S3K's music was a red herring. If you could explain otherwise/why that'd be very enlightening though

Mr Swine

Banned
In 10 hours Sega will reveal the greatest game ever!

Dr Eggman Adventure 3: World Domination

Starring everyone's favorite bald mustachioed scientist Dr Eggman!

It will be a glorious day in the Eggman Empire!

Hope it's both a classic game sequel to 3 and a sequel to Lost Wprld

Piers

iizuka looks so happy having his picture taken with Sonic Boom

picture from Japanese 20th anniversary account

https://twitter.com/sonic20th/status/756451803776954368/

I do feel some sympathy for Izuka. Bad design choices could be chalked up to him, but when he's lead a franchise of such extremes for so many years, and had to repeatedly contend with Sega's unfair demands, I do wonder how he feels.

Especially when the other big cheeses behind Sonic left a while ago.

Even if a similar issue exists with the Jackson music, the emulated rereleases suggest that SEGA still owns the music as-is, those versions that were featured in the original game... and a Taxman release wouldn't remix, so... right?

I believe emulation is an exception when it comes to music royalties, since it's only running a product that has been released in the past.
Possibly also why Sega were able to allow modding for roms in Steam.

Taxman/Stealth haven't outright stated why Sonic 3&K wasn't given the green light (And presumably won't from NDA) — the case so far is that their petition campaign failed, and Sega simply isn't interested. It could be legal headaches, but the cynic in me assumes the diminishing sales from Sonic CD up to 2 has put Sega off giving any more remasters the go-ahead.

EhoaVash

want I want : Adventure (4?)

unleashed style 3D sonic game with just gotta go fast

what I don't want : 2D sonic

what I expect : sonic all star racing 3

Kyari

Touched upon in an interview with Taxman at Sonic Retro.

The long and short of it is that unspecified legal action that officially started some times in 2012 is the reason Sonic 3 & Knuckles hasn't been released on anything new since the Steam release in 2011.

Purely guesswork on my part would say its probably related to Michael Jackson's involvement in the music of:
- Carnival Night Zone
- Ice Cap Zone
- Launch Base Zone
- Knuckles' Theme
- Multiplayer Menu
- Credits Theme

These tracks were all replaced with new, unrelated, music in the native PC port from 1997, but just about every release aside from that (including the Steam version) are simply Genesis/Mega Drive emulations with the original music in tact.

Edit: And to clarify, Taxman's ports are not emulated, they are (from what I understand) total pixel perfect remakes that allow for the widescreen mode.

Top Bottom