• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy Story 3 |OT| The Toys Are Back In Town. In 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it tonight and LOVED it.

Fantastic intro
it was amazing to see all the toys basically the way Andy does in his mind.

Lots of funny moments, a good amount of serious ones too.

And the little girl was soooooooo adorable.

Oh and I loved the short film before the movie started.:D

So.

The first thought I had when it finished was that it was a really engaging and fun (and flat out gorgeous, easily the most visually accomplished animated movie Pixar [and thus, pretty much anyone] has ever made) movie. Probably not as solid as 2, but better than 1 due to sheer scope and ambition.

But now that the trilogy is over, it's clear that Toy Story is a series of incredibly well done movies. But stuff like Wall-E, Ratalouie, Up; those are Pixar's films, and Toy Story 3 just isn't on that level.

It sounds like the most pretentious thing in the world to make that delineation, but it's the only way I can think of to explain the difference.

Day & Night was brilliant, by the way.

As far as the 3D goes, it was kind of just there. It didn't distract but it didn't really enhance either. It just was. I'm pretty sure any digital showing is in 3D so I'll probably just deal with it but if I can find a digital 2D showing, I'd certainly go with that. But if there is none, there's no way you can see this movie on film. The lighting and detail are literally unprecedented in CG animation. Every single thing that Pixar has accomplished over however many years; fur, hair, lighting, cinematography, EVERYTHING; is turned up to like 14 in this movie. Its visual accomplishment can not be overstated. In movies like Wall-E, you're impressed afterward that you kind of forget it was an animated movie. In Toy Story 3 there are dozens of moments that are almost photo real and yet completely fucking impossible. It's an effect I've never seen on screen and leads to a movie that just explodes detail and color and just plain awesomeness.

I remember a conversation in the LTTP Cloudy thread about how Pixar is more restrained, animation-wise than something like that movie which was way more WB inspired in style. That's all out the window here. Woody and Buzz especially each have tons of moments of near-jawdropping tomfoolery. You could slow it down frame by frame and just marvel at all the cool and hilarious detail some dude in Emeryville slaved over for two-and-a-half years.

As a visual accomplishment, it is the most impressive movie ever made, bar none.

As a story, in the library of Pixar's previous works, it's less successful. But by all means, do not let that stop you.

Toy Story 3 was the pinnacle of an entertaining summer film. Emotional, exciting, stunning. Absolute must-see.

I could go on and on but it I need to get up in a few hours. It's the most wholly satisfying Pixar effort, I will say that.

Blader

BenjaminBirdie said:
But now that the trilogy is over, it's clear that Toy Story is a series of incredibly well done movies. But stuff like Wall-E, Ratalouie, Up; those are Pixar's films, and Toy Story 3 just isn't on that level.

I didn't much care for those three, and I love Toy Story, so I think I'll like this movie just fine. :D

Blader5489 said:
I didn't much care for those three, and I love Toy Story, so I think I'll like this movie just fine. :D

Well, it's an amazing, fun, gorgeous movie. But I didn't leave the theater thinking about shit afterwards like I did with Ratalouie or Up. I was just like "Woo! Awesome movie!" Nothing wrong with that.

Blader

BenjaminBirdie said:
Well, it's an amazing, fun, gorgeous movie. But I didn't leave the theater thinking about shit afterwards like I did with Ratalouie or Up. I was just like "Woo! Awesome movie!" Nothing wrong with that.

That was basically my experience with Ratatoutillie and Up. :lol

Dan said:

Is that the next Pixar? First time ever that there wasn't a preview for the next Pixar movie. I was ready start ripping seats out of the fucking Ziegfield. But then "Day & Night" came on and we all hugged each other.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
traveler said:
Muntz was there as a foil to Carl. He's everything Carl could have been had he continued down his current path, obsessed with the past. I do agree his resolution was fairly unsatisfying, but he, as a character, had a purpose outside of simply being the antagonist.

I understand that he was meant to be a foil. I was just unsatisfied with how they used him.

Speaking of which, I don't like Ebert's review. Seriously - didn't have the soul of the first two? IT'S FULL OF IT, DAMN IT!

Ookami-kun said:
I understand that he was meant to be a foil. I was just unsatisfied with how they used him.

Speaking of which, I don't like Ebert's review. Seriously - didn't have the soul of the first two? IT'S FULL OF IT, DAMN IT!

It really didn't. That's exactly it.

It's just a little too all over the map to focus. It expects that you've already established what these characters mean to each other and so something like Jessie's isolation in 2 or Buzz's birth as a toy in 1 is missing completely. It's just an entertaining caper film with a very sweet ending.

It's Oceans Veleveteen.

(OH MY GOD I JUST MADE THAT UP I AM A FUCKING GENIUS.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Except that years had passed since 1 and 2. Jessie has most likely gone over it. That's why when she said "It's Emily all over again!" and simply shrugged it, I believe that she has already gotten over that, especially that she has companions now as opposed of being alone. And Buzz himself already knows that he is a toy in this movie. That's why the touching line of "Our mission with Andy is completed" was a reflection on that.

GG-Duo

I liked Ratatouille, Wall-E, Incredibles... I really didn't like Up, and the trailer for Toy Story 3 seems really formulaic - should I give it a chance? Will I be pleasantly surprised?

squinters

astigmatic
GG-Duo said:
I liked Ratatouille, Wall-E, Incredibles... I really didn't like Up, and the trailer for Toy Story 3 seems really formulaic - should I give it a chance? Will I be pleasantly surprised?
I definitely would. Loved the whole thing. Even Spanish Buzz, which I thought would be gimmicky after a while, was pretty amazing and had the whole audience in laughter. This movie really is the complete package and thoroughly entertaining throughout.

And if you don't at least smile at the ending, you have no heart.
I cried

So I was ten when the first movie came out. I think that adds a lot. Maybe I'm blinded by how much I adore the first two films but I gotta say I think three might be the best. I had high expectations and I was worried Pixar wouldn't be able to end it the right way. But they did. Everything just felt right. The beginning did an amazing job of pushing you right back into it all. The movie was touching and a tad emotional. A ready supply of intelligent well-timed jokes that at times brought on flashes of one and two. I am extremely satisfied.

I'm going to see it again on Saturday so my opinion might change but probably not.

I just got home from probably one of the worst midnight releases of a movie I have been to. Right here in Prescott, Arizona. Home of the racist mural.

I was stoked, this has been my most anticipated movie ever since Pixar went back on board for the creation of this exact film. So , I went and got my tickets to the midnight showing in 3D a few hours before the showtime. Things were looking grand. Then shit fell apart. I ended sitting in front of the most snotnosed, rotten kids in my life. I am not a guy who's easily pissed off, but I was about ready to knock the shit out of all of these kids. It was terrible.

Then showtime hit and after several attempts by the staff to quiet the kids behind me (not of my doing mind you, others complained) the hotshot manager of the theater appeared to make an announcement. We wouldn't be seeing the movie in 3D as promised and we had to move to a different theater. So basically we all lost are good seats (more people had arrived) and I was pretty upset.

Meh, my rant is over, onto the movie. This is easily my movie of the year, nothing else is going to compete with it. This is also quite possibly my favorite movie of all time. Always loved the franchise, but this movie is just purely amazing even o its own. EVERY scene was just amazing, I never once found myself taken out of the film. My heart was tugged in every direction. Man, what a mind blowing experience.

God I can't wait t see this thing another 200 times.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It was very fun, but it might not be as affecting as the other two, aside from the major scenes with Andy. Michael Keaton generally steals the show as Ken, while Kristin Schaal makes Trixie absolutely adorable. The variations of Buzz worked out pretty well, I was worried about that being too much of a rehash of what's come before.

My favorite line: "Not the nehru!"
But seriously, not the nehru, heh. Oh how I love nehru jackets. They need to be easier to find in the west. I treasure the one I have.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Is that the next Pixar? First time ever that there wasn't a preview for the next Pixar movie. I was ready start ripping seats out of the fucking Ziegfield. But then "Day & Night" came on and we all hugged each other.
That tradition was broken a while ago. There was no teaser for Up in front of WALL-E, instead we got Bolt. I can't remember if the Toy Story 3 teaser was actually attached to Up, but it had been released a couple weeks earlier anyhow.

Next Pixar films:

* Cars 2 (June 24th, 2011)
* Brave (June 15th, 2012)
* Monsters, Inc 2 (November 16th, 2012)

netguy503

smokeymicpot said:
Is the movie worth it to see in 3D?

It sounds like 3D is the only one with digital projection and that is the only way I want to see this movie. They are forcing my hand and making me watch a film with possible "muted" colors because of the 3D and glasses. It sucks. :(

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
netguy503 said:
It sounds like 3D is the only one with digital projection and that is the only way I want to see this movie. They are forcing my hand and making me watch a film with possible "muted" colors because of the 3D and glasses. It sucks. :(

Guess 3D it is. They are not even showing a lot of regular shows at my theater but the 3D has a lot.

DonMigs85

Bit-Bit said:
Pixar can do no wrong. Good god. So freakin emotional. The ending was...bittersweet.
Yeah, I'm generally a very cynical type and rarely cry at movies, but I really got teary-eyed at the ending. The only other movie that made my cry was Terabithia.
It's nice that Totoro showed up quite a lot too, and displayed his trademark grin at the end.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just came back from it. Holy shit is really all I have to say. It was fucking amazing. I had tears going down my face too.

at 130 reviews, still 100%

Here are the scenes that made me tear up like a baby and really make it one of the best films ever made. Major spoilers of course.

1. The opening of Andy playing w/ his toys recorded on VHS and how he grew up with them. Instantly brought me back to my childhood and how I can never have that same feeling again.
2. Bo-Peep being sold/lost. Small moment, but came out of nowhere and really sad.
3. Buster being an old dog (just like the dog I grew up with got old and passed away, but yet I think of him just like Woody does; ready for anything.)
4. Andy's Mom saying goodbye to him as he is leaving for college. Instant (recent) memories of how you never have the same relationship with your family after you leave and go on to the real world.
5. The toys holding hands as they all are about to die in the fire. I can't remember the last time my heart raced that fast in a movie and their sense of friendship was incredibly emotional.
6. Andy introducing his toys to the girl at the end. That final moment where he is able to play with them one last time before he ever sees them again was so bittersweet

Solo said:
I love you Ben, but you're crazy :lol

Hands down the most visually impressive animated film, bar none. Every shot was bursting with vibrant colors and life, it was remarkable. One of my favorite holy shit! visual moment was the
the death by monkeys nuke
. :lol

hermit7

I'll be seeing this later tonight, but is it imperative to have seen the second one? I saw the first when it first came out, but I can't remember for the life of me if I saw TS2.

I am sure I will enjoy it regardless.

hermit7 said:
I'll be seeing this later tonight, but is it imperative to have seen the second one? I saw the first when it first came out, but I can't remember for the life of me if I saw TS2.

There are a few really nice throwbacks and I'll get hate for this, but the film felt A LOT like the LOST series finale. It is a cathartic experience remembering how much you loved the characters. Obviously in Toy Story 3 it works much, much better. So if you don't remember TS2 I would suggest re-watching it before. You will get more out of TS3.

Bowser

hermit7 said:

If you've got an hour and a half to kill, TS2's up on YouTube (in 10 parts). I watched it Wednesday night before going to see TS3 at midnight yesterday (er, today) :lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Fantastic film, really enjoyable. Man Tears at end.

Loved seeing Totoro in the background, loved when he did his big grin (Kept waiting for the roar)

Question Where was
Cid
I'm guessing the trash guy rocking out?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
smokeymicpot said:
Is the movie worth it to see in 3D?

I saw it in 3D and just totally forgot I was watching something in 3D. I don't think my enjoyment would have been any less without it.

DonMigs85

DrForester said:

Loved seeing Totoro in the background, loved when he did his big grin (Kept waiting for the roar)

Question Where was
Cid
Yup.
I also wonder if the Buzz Lightyear franchise is still popular at this point in Andy's world. Afer all it's been about 15 years since he first received him.
And I wonder if the Zurg toy who arrived at Sunnyside was the same one from TS2.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
DrForester said:
I saw it in 3D and just totally forgot I was watching something in 3D. I don't think my enjoyment would have been any less without it.

Same. I wasn't expecting that to happen. I really didn't like paying 15 bucks for a ticket to see it in 3D though.

Blader

Loved it! Pixar's best movie since the original Toy Story. It was just fun and hilarious and heart-wrenching and sincere and nostalgic and perfect.

Best line of the movie:
"Yeesh."
:lol

DanielPlainview said:
1. The opening of Andy playing w/ his toys recorded on VHS and how he grew up with them. Instantly brought me back to my childhood and how I can never have that same feeling again.
2. Bo-Peep being sold/lost. Small moment, but came out of nowhere and really sad.
3. Buster being an old dog (just like the dog I grew up with got old and passed away, but yet I think of him just like Woody does; ready for anything.)
4. Andy's Mom saying goodbye to him as he is leaving for college. Instant (recent) memories of how you never have the same relationship with your family after you leave and go on to the real world.
5. The toys holding hands as they all are about to die in the fire. I can't remember the last time my heart raced that fast in a movie and their sense of friendship was incredibly emotional.
6. Andy introducing his toys to the girl at the end. That final moment where he is able to play with them one last time before he ever sees them again was so bittersweet

Agreed on these, especially the last two. In regards to #5,
I just knew the claw had to save them, but that didn't rob the scene of it's emotional weight at all. Everyone just realizing they were about to die and holding each other's hands, while Woody is still struggling, only to realize that everyone else has accepted their fate...and then he does too...jeez, that scene was tough. My heart was racing too.

In regards to #6,
while that scene was great on its own, it was the final lines that sold it. "Thanks guys." "So long, partner."
MAN TEARS.

DrForester said:
Question Where was
Cid

Oh man, I didn't even realize that. That's awesome!

Just a fantastic film in all, with a great balance between some hilarious comedy and genuine emotion. And my own personal connection to these films was just the cherry on top.

Best movie of the year so far.

DrForester said:

Question Where was
Cid

Yeah, definitely. Same shirt.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
DrForester said:
I couldn't locate the Pizza Planet truck. Anyone notice it?

Yeah when the
three toys were walking home from Daisy's house. They hitched on the pizza planet truck. I think at least.

DrForester said:
I couldn't locate the Pizza Planet truck. Anyone notice it?

During the flashback when Chuckles the Clown is telling Woody what happened to himself, Lotso, and Big Baby. At one point they are sitting on the back of the Pizza Planet truck in the rain. You can tell it's the truck since the back of it said "YO" like it did in the other movies.

Edit: Curses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom