• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Tragically Heterosexual) Marriage System Announced For Fire Emblem Awakening

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Gay relationships in Fire Emblem. All the sudden I'm interested in this series. :p I do have that one ambassador game that I haven't played...

ivysaur12

Banned
Do you have something against straight characters? I don't at all like the Bioware approach where every character is what you want them to become rather than a personality of their own. If they happen to have characters as straight or gay or bi that should ideally be the writers' choice and vision and have nothing to do with the company wanting to appear progressive or not.

Have we really gotten to this point?

I wouldn't go that far. But I'm straight and like to think I'm not boring simply because I'm straight. I'm sure there's plenty of better reasons.

You told that very non-sarcastic man that straight people aren't boring because they're straight!

Beth Cyra

Have we really gotten to this point?

I don't have a problem with them.

I just like to change up the pace and no matter how badly written a male/male pairing story is at least *more interesting then the a straight one to me.

* Not that it will be any good or anything. That and women can be traded for male.

CSX

O_O

Don't remember this at all.

A support in japanese version says they got married.

English versions reworded that A support ending to say they just co-ruled the kingdom together or something like that.

Both versions, they were twins.

Wilsongt

A support in japanese version says they got married.

English versions reworded that A support ending to say they just co-ruled the kingdom together or something like that.

Both versions, they were twins.

The wording is about the same as in the English text version. They didn't get married, but still. They wanted into each other's pants.

Do you have something against straight characters?
First off, what? That is such an odd question, I really don't know how to answer it.
I don't at all like the Bioware approach where every character is what you want them to become rather than a personality of their own. If they happen to have characters as straight or gay or bi that should ideally be the writers' choice and vision and have nothing to do with the company wanting to appear progressive or not.
That's a perfectly acceptable opinion to have, and I don't fully disagree. However, seeing as how the majority of characters in Fire Emblem games are pretty much throwaway, I don't think it really matters.

If you can marry any of your units at all, doesn't that just mean there won't won't be well written interactions? In previous Fire Emblem games specific characters could become friends or lovers or whatever with a few other specific characters, and it was cool seeing their conversations as they grew close to each other.

But if you can pick anyone at all to romance, there would have to be bland "one size fits all" interactions instead of real, character driven ones...right?

Emitan

If you can marry any of your units at all, doesn't that just mean there won't won't be well written interactions? In previous Fire Emblem games specific characters could become friends or lovers or whatever with a few other specific characters, and it was cool seeing their conversations as they grew close to each other.

But if you can pick anyone at all to romance, there would have to be bland "one size fits all" interactions instead of real, character driven ones...right?

I'm guessing Your Unit can romance everyone and there's one or maybe two different things each character will say (depending on your gender). Other characters will have pre-defined romances.

I'm guessing Your Unit can romance everyone and there's one or maybe two different things each character will say (depending on your gender). Other characters will have pre-defined romances.

Oh right, I get it now. Even if that happens, its only the player's character that would have crappy relationship stories, there should be still be well written relationships between all party members who aren't with the player's character.

Cool.

onilink88

Can't create threads, so forgive me for posting this here. New info concerning Awakening's DLC and non paid DLC:

Fire Emblem Awakening will be the the first Nintendo package 3DS game to have paid download content. Sounds like something CEO Satoru Iwata would want to bring up during the game's Iwata Asks column.

Iwata did just that in a column that was posted today.

Genki Yokota, director on the Nintendo side of the project, revealed that the topic of download content came up towards the end of the project when development was nearing completion. It was a bit tight in terms of scheduling, so instead of the producer saying "Let's add download content," he said something closer to "So, should we add download content?"

Due to how late the request arrived, they weren't able to do things like remove passages from the main game or make adjustments to passages in the game. This may not have been a problem, as Iwata noted that one concern when making a game compatible with download content is that you have to make sure you have enough built into the main game so that you absolutely will not hear criticism that the game is too lacking in content for those who don't buy the DLC.

Kohei Maeda, director on the Intelligent Systems side of the project, said that they're currently in the process of making the download content, and they will keep on making more from here on out.

Elsewhere in the interview, the staff discussed some of the game's non-paid download content. Players will receive a "Spot Pass Team" on a nearly daily basis. This team will consist of characters made in the image of past Fire Emblem characters. You'll be able to fight them, make them into allies, and so-forth. You can expect to receive around 120 teams through Spot Pass. View a video of the Spot Pass support here.

Separate from the download content support, the staff also discussed the game's optional first person view mode. This was added because the staff thought it would would go well with the 3D. View a movie of the 3D mode here.

Damn. D:

KingK

...not sure if want.

I hope this doesn't mean every character will just be a generic lifeless husk without any unique personality like in Shadow Dragon. I liked in the GBA games where if certain characters had high enough Supports the epilogue would say they got married, but this...I'm not sure. I think I would feel less uneasy about this if the marriage options were limited to Support characters, but being able to marry anybody seems like it will result in a sacrifice of personality in the name of player freedom.

In Fire Emblem, I'd rather have a large cast of likable characters with unique personalities than to be able to marry whoever I want.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure I've never been more excited for a Fire Emblem game. Not even close.

This is coming from someone whose only two avatars were from this series.

SD only has lifeless characters because it was a faithful story remake of a NES game. Even the best story RPGs of the time like DQ IV and FF 2 didn't really have what you'd call deep or refined characters. One of the biggest knocks was why they didn't update them.

Hell if you read the Iwata Asks on SD you can tell that they knew this was going to be an issue.

Emitan

...not sure if want.

I hope this doesn't mean every character will just be a generic lifeless husk without any unique personality like in Shadow Dragon. I liked in the GBA games where if certain characters had high enough Supports the epilogue would say they got married, but this...I'm not sure. I think I would feel less uneasy about this if the marriage options were limited to Support characters, but being able to marry anybody seems like it will result in a sacrifice of personality in the name of player freedom.

In Fire Emblem, I'd rather have a large cast of likable characters with unique personalities than to be able to marry whoever I want.

Stuff like this reminds me of Fable, and that is so annoying.

Dislike.

Don't ever play FE4.

Pretty sure I've never been more excited for a Fire Emblem game. Not even close.

Yep!

King Boo

lol...gay/lesbian marriage isn't something to be shocked about.

what you guys should be shocked at is that the main character can marry his sibling.

but when i really think about it, NoA won't let that happen. Or gay marriage. So yes...now i understand why people are shocked about gay marriage in fire emblem.

i shall marry the main character off to the strongest female there is in the game, and they will create the strongest baby that will break the game. marth and chrome/krom will be so proud of their child.

Tookay

...not sure if want.

I'm pretty sure when they say "you can marry anybody" they really mean "every character can marry somebody (a predefined selection of characters)." Except for the My Unit character, who might get more options or something.

Don't ever play FE4.

I would never miss an FE game if I could help it. As long as I don't have to give gifts and emote to fill some like stat, it won't be that bad. I would honestly rather have a fleshed-out story romance turn into a marriage though, picking your own sounds like it will limit any impact.

onilink88

So the past characters are free?

Does that mean over 120 free past characters?

Yup. More than 120 characters the way I understand it.

What are we paying for, then?

What are the paid downloads then? So confused.

Extra maps, chapters, class promotion items, unique/rare/strong weapons- stuff like that, I would think.

This totally confuses me. What does this mean? 120 teams?

What do they mean by teams? If it's individual units, then damn. o.o

When they say 120 teams, they're saying 120 sets of characters, aren't they?

KingK

I would never miss an FE game if I could help it. As long as I don't have to give gifts and emote to fill some like stat, it won't be that bad. I would honestly rather have a fleshed-out story romance turn into a marriage though, picking your own sounds like it will limit any impact.

That's basically what I was thinking.

I'm pretty sure when they say "you can marry anybody" they really mean "every character can marry somebody (a predefined selection of characters)." Except for the My Unit character, who might get more options or something.

If that's the case, then it should be fine.

Top Bottom