• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Tragically Heterosexual) Marriage System Announced For Fire Emblem Awakening

McNum

Wait wait wait... the marriage thing is not new and not a surprise, although an awesome thing to have.
But someone fucking explain me the MY UNIT thing. YOU CAN CREATE YOUR OWN CHARACTER?
As in western RPG's, with its looks and all? How does that work with the ingame artworks?
Yes. You can create your own unit, customize its looks, but the class is locked in this game. "Strategist." You get to use magic and swords. No news on what you can promote My Unit into.

The 2D artwork is generated alongside the 3D model. You build the 3D guy or girl and the game suggests a 2D face for you based on that.

My Unit was introduced in New Mystery of the Emblem, which wasn't released outside Japan, where you could be any class, depending on gender.

So, when Nintendo is saying they're taking the best of all the Fire Emblems for Awakening, it looks like they aren't kidding. Any Fire Emblem experts know what we're missing now?

McNum

Odds are good for a Roy DLC. If we're getting 120 (!) old characters, the main lords of the older games should be fairly safe.

Let's see, we have world maps, skirmishes, marriage, branched promotions, reclassing, monsters, My Unit who is also a Strategist, supports upgraded to dual attacks, Rescue has been upgraded to the ability to stack units in one square and have them fight as one, and we have shapeshifters again.

I mean, all I can think of we're missing now is the giant maps from FE4 where you have to capture multiple castles to win.

Peff

So I might be missing something, but other than requiring the "rescued" unit to start the action, is there a downside to the Double system? The other unit gets stat bonuses and a permanent chance to use Dual Attack/Guard, and even if it prevents one of them from earning experience you can just switch roles... I hope they know what they're doing.

NeonZ

With so many cameos, does anyone know if the story is incorporating this crossover somehow? Is there some kind of dimensional/time warp in this game? It'd be odd to have children with characters who don't actually exist to the story...

McNum

Won't stop the "Is Marth and Roy in this game?"
Heh, if we get Roy DLC, the answer to "Is the the game with Marth and Roy?" will be yes.

Now they have to make a Roy DLC, just for that.
With so many cameos, does anyone know if the story is incorporating this crossover somehow? Is there some kind of dimensional/time warp in this game? It'd be odd to have children with characters who don't actually exist to the story...
There's an Other-World Gate somewhere on the map. Guess what it does. Apparently, it's where Anna hangs out, which explains a lot.

Yes. You can create your own unit, customize its looks, but the class is locked in this game. "Strategist." You get to use magic and swords. No news on what you can promote My Unit into.

The 2D artwork is generated alongside the 3D model. You build the 3D guy or girl and the game suggests a 2D face for you based on that.

My Unit was introduced in New Mystery of the Emblem, which wasn't released outside Japan, where you could be any class, depending on gender.

So, when Nintendo is saying they're taking the best of all the Fire Emblems for Awakening, it looks like they aren't kidding. Any Fire Emblem experts know what we're missing now?

Oh fuck!
NoE fucking PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE! Bring this to europe at least.

moozoom

The Bara pairing are now running rampant in my mind. :D

I'm afraid this is just wishful thinking (I have a hard time believing that Nintendo + gay marriage could survive the translation process ) , but anyway, I just finished my selection in some of the past games portraits...

0DUeD.png

If Garcia is in the future DLC, he's already bought ( and married to FE6 Douglas )

Peff

It seems he/she promotes into Divine Strategist and can also reclass into pretty much anything other than special classes.

McNum

It seems he/she promotes into Divine Strategist and can also reclass into pretty much anything other than special classes.
"Divine Strategist"? I might keep that just for the class name. What does it do, I wonder? Swords, Magic and Staves? That'd be interesting, if grossly powerful.

It will be tempting not to reclass into Griffon Rider, though... Or a Dark Pegasus Knight.

Midou

Nintendo is supposed to be a family friendly company. smh.

The 12 year olds who buy Mario Kart and Kirby aren't the same nintendo fans who buy FE and whatnot.

Edit: Not to say those games are for 12 year olds, I'm just saying the parts of Nintendo that are family friendly are the more popular ones, FE is too niche to force nintendo to make it for everyone, it's already a bit too hardcore for the younger audiences.

I've never cared about creating relationships with video game characters, but being able to have kids and use them in your party sounds great.

Also, is Shadow Dragon worth it just because it's Fire Emblem?

Yes, just don't expect to enjoy the characters as much.

Get this marriage shit out of my Fire Emblem.

Iwata : 'we really don't want catfish to buy this, how can we 100% stop that from happening'

some designer: 'What if we let the characters marry each other?!'

Iwata: 'bingo'

Sorry, marriage has been in Fire Emblem since 1996.

New Famitsu details:

The might of the continent of Valm
The continent of Valm, to the west of Iris, is where lies the Valm Empire, ruled by its Conqueror King Valhart. As they hold massive military power, they'd be a threat if they were to become Krom's enemies. Also, a divine dragonkin called Tiki lives in Valm. She has been living for eternity, but is she a friend?

Valhart - Emperor of Valm
A conqueror king who has dominated all countries of the continent of Valm by force. He hates losing and turning his back to an enemy more than anything. While he holds down those who oppose him by force, he does have the charisma needed to lead a country.

Tiki - Divine Dragonkin
A divine dragonkin who has been living ever since the age of legend. She is revered as the "Divine Dragon Maiden" (or Priestess - "miko") in Valm, as they worship Naga. Though usually calm, she rarely behaves like a little girl in some aspects.

My unit
>Can support with almost all characters, both male and female
>Can be a silent type (you can choose its appearance and tone)
>Promotes into "Divine Strategist" (now people, for the love of God, don't start reading too much with that STRATEGIST != TACTICTIAN stuff as "gunshi" can read as both; also, "divine" might refer to godlike skill/mastery, but it might refer to something else as well...)
>Can reclass into almost every other class, special classes like Taguel aside

The scan also features MU's promoted skill, but it's cut off unfortunately

Also from the Iwata Asks it seems someone wanted kiss scenes for every character but they didn't do it.

McNum

Fire Emblem Awakening: A War Strategy themed Dating Simulator

Fire Emblem has had various degree of dating sim elements in it for a long time. Not big enough to be the centerpiece of the game, but not quite small enough to be something to ignore. Like hats in TF2. I kind of wish I was kidding more than I am.

Emitan

You didn't like FE9?! ;_; That's probably my second favorite after 7.

I'm currently giving it another chance. I think I didn't like it because at the time I only wanted to play fire emblem on a portable system.

It also looks like complete shit.

Rarutos

I'm currently giving it another chance. I think I didn't like it because at the time I only wanted to play fire emblem on a portable system.

It also looks like complete shit.

I didn't care for the battle animations after a while so I just turned them off... But that's the only thing I'd say I didn't like much in the game. <3

McNum

God, I just realized that Ranulf and Soren are like the Jacob and Edward of Fire Emblem fic pairings.
Nonsense, it's not like one of them transforms into a beast and the other living an unnaturally long life due to his race... Aw, nuts. At least Soren doesn't sparkle.

It is interesting that Ike only has paired endings with those two in FE10, though.

McNum

one step closer to a turn-based strategy dancing game
In which you move your characters around on a grid, challenging opponents to a dance-off. Loser leaves the building. Can YOU defeat the Divine Dark Disco Dancer?

I kind of want to see it happen now.

Firemind

I sort of agree. Fire Emblem has gotten progressively worse over the years. Hopefully Awakening can restore the balance.

Only thing I'm worried about is getting generic conversations like in FE:RD.

Also every time I read news about this game I always wonder what these characters would look like in Kita's style.

I have a bad feeling this will mean that all of the characters are straight. A big downgrade for the series, if you ask me. The people at Intelligent Systems might be progressive enough for same-sex marriage, but I doubt Nintendo execs would be.

Capturing was pretty cool, but a bit fiddly.

Capturing

Characters could capture enemies, similar to rescuing allies, except that you need to defeat the enemy first. When attempting to capture an enemy, the character's major stats are halved. However once the enemy is captured, you can hold onto them and steal their items. Enemies can also do this, so keep your staff-users away from danger...
You pretty much had to capture early on, since your army starts off with 0 gold. A few characters had to be captured before they'd join your team as well.

Top Bottom