• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Tragically Heterosexual) Marriage System Announced For Fire Emblem Awakening

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
chara03.jpg

If we're going to have a marriage system can we head back to the old art?

Not at all sure I like the idea of Marth ending up with someone who isn't Sheeda (unless they magically leave him out of the pairing thing) but all the rest is par for the course in FE because Nintendo generally does whatever the hell they want in FE games. Even still, I totally expected them to dodge the gay marriage thing, even though Nintendo has virtually no fucks to give in FE unlike their other flagship franchises that one would be way too hard a sell in Western markets due to certain people's discriminations.

So how long do we give NoA to say anything about this before we begin an "Operation: FireFall" or something. Until E3? What do you guys say?

I thought he hasnt been confirmed to be a playable unit.

I don't think he has been confirmed playable yet, that's a "just in case" statement on my part.

And yeah, Sheeda would be long gone by the time this game takes place if I was looking at things about the timeline correctly, but since Marth appears to have been resurrected or something in this game I doubt he'll have magically forgot about his wife (unless they pull an amnesia thing), so it'd still be kinda bad for him to just go "oh well" and happily move on with Ms. Right Now. XD

NeonZ

Well, Sheeda might still make it as one of the DLC units, considering how there are supposed to be 120 (groups?) of them.

Instro

If we're going to have a marriage system can we head back to the old art?

The majority of these new designs are better than the old generic junk that has been used in the series. Picking out one sub-par character and comparing it to your favorites isn't really fair. Not that it is particularly great, but the new designs are definitely an improvement in detail and style imo.

Emitan

The majority of these new designs are better than the old generic junk that has been used in the series. Picking out one sub-par character and comparing it to your favorites isn't really fair. Not that it is particularly great, but the new designs are definitely an improvement in detail and style imo.

If you didn't notice, he posted Liz.

LOCK

Now there is no excuse for NoA. Still sad about no gay marriage, if this wasn't FE I probably wouldn't buy it.

Vamphuntr

Hilarious thread title. Pretty excited for this game. Hopefully NoA bring this here or the region free hackers will find a way to bypass the region lock on the 3DS so I can import the EU version.

Just saw the title change.

Boooooo. Although to be fair, I don't remember what the precedent for homosexuality in the FE universe is.

Cyrano

Oh games. You and your heteronormativity. I'm sure they'll be modded eventually. Well, if the 3DS is ever cracked.

Tragically heterosexual? Unless they were explicitly taken out, just because it doesn't include gay marriages it's an anti-gay game? Every game from now on with any kind of romance arc has to include homosexual relationships? Come on GAF, level the playing field, don't just tip it in the other direction.

flame shield on

Platy

I hope at least heterosexual marriage only means a considerable increase of female characters in battle in the game

Also, Spartan army and stuffs like that

Tragically heterosexual? Unless they were explicitly taken out, just because it doesn't include gay marriages it's an anti-gay game? Every game from now on with any kind of romance arc has to include homosexual relationships? Come on GAF, level the playing field, don't just tip it in the other direction.
Yes, damn it!

zashga

Nice thread title. This game looks more amazing by the day. I never got to play the SNES Fire Emblems, so I'm abnormally excited about this feature.

Being honest, while I know it sucks for people that are gay and want to see homosexual/bisexual relationships become more commonplace in games (because they should be if the plot calls for it), but I really don't need there to be homosexual characters in the game if it's just shoehorned in. If they do it it should be because it fits the character and/or the story, instead of Bioware's catch-all choose your own adventure characterization in ME and DA that seems more like a cash grab than an attempt at actual storytelling.

Case in point (that's off-topic so I'll put it in spoilers):
The UK series Skins had two seasons where two of the main characters (Naomi and Emily) were a lesbian couple. It felt natural and believable in the UK version of the show and was a great relationship (until season 4, but I digress >_>). Then when they decide to show that season on BBC America, they're suddenly playing "I Kissed a Girl" when the characters get together for the first time and ruined the whole moment trying to be "edgy". That's Bioware, in my opinion.

Back on topic, I really hope this game gets released here. It looks solid so far and like a more complete union of the 2D and 3D by far than the previous attempts.

Top Bottom