• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Travis Scott PS5 commercial (he really did have the PS5)

I hate this new age of thinking. People can't dislike a certain artist, otherwise they get labeled racist, an old out of touch fuck, or even an Xbot. The sad and ironic part is, some of the ones praising this commercial, would have hated it, if it was an Xbox commercial. That's why it's better to form your opinions for yourself, not just go with what everyone else does/likes.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

This dude is on top of the world first he hosts a Fortnite concert then he get's his own Quarter pounder meal at Mcdonalds ; now he is one of the first people to get his hands on PS5. There is sure to be alot of salty people! Sound down below.

Just what we needed.

A homeless man promoting the Ps5.

What else is going to happen Sony?

Kdad

On giving this some more serious thought this is a pretty good move. 12.3 million people tuned in to watch this guy's concert on Fortnite. I'm imagining a lot more real time gaming events like that, but PlayStation exclusive. Tune in at so and so to play X with Travis Scott, only on PlayStation.

If only PlayStation had a virtual platform to host such events....

Come on SONY, relaunch HOME you fucking cowards.

TLZ

Banned
I haven't seen any racist comments yet, maybe mods deleted them and banned ppl before I could see?

If you compare him to the greatest of the 90', 00's, even 10's, he wouldn't hold a candle to them. But times have changed, especially the music industry, and what records radio stations play. Get a good beat, and you can improvise everything else now a days...
I want a nextgen console ad with Bone Thugs n Harmony.

I'm old :pie_grinning_sweat:

YuLY

Is the average age of GAF about 50? Fucking old cunts shitting up this thread

Go take your Amiga 500s and go home

I'm 30 and never heard of this guy. Cant stand rap,trap,shmap and all that it stands for, I'm about a totally different culture which is rock/metal. We're "shitting up" the thread, ok buddy, I'm glad your talented artist who talks into a mic with maxed autotune about sipping lean is promoting your precious console. Scrrr Brrr Prrrr

ethomaz

Banned
I hate this new age of thinking. People can't dislike a certain artist, otherwise they get labeled racist, an old out of touch fuck, or even an Xbot. The sad and ironic part is, some of the ones praising this commercial, would have hated it, if it was an Xbox commercial. That's why it's better to form your opinions for yourself, not just go with what everyone else does/likes.
Dislike is different from saying he is irrelevant, talentless, etc.

Yoboman

I'm 30 and never heard of this guy. Cant stand rap,trap,shmap and all that it stands for, I'm about a totally different culture which is rock/metal. We're "shitting up" the thread, ok buddy, I'm glad your talented artist who talks into a mic with maxed autotune about sipping lean is promoting your precious console. Scrrr Brrr Prrrr
How do I hit the triggered reaction 20 times?

qXbsGhu.png

ethomaz

Banned
It is weird to say that because it was that culture is so different that revitalized a lot of rock/metal great songs nowdays.
Seems like it is not that so different after all.

Last edited:
Dislike is different from saying he is irrelevant, talentless, etc.
Depends on how you look at things. He's the most talented mumble/auto tune rapper, sure. But is he the most talented rapper? Big difference. Do YOU listen to him? Is he one of your most favorite artists prior to this month? Same for everyone else riding the bandwagon? Your spotify and other music services history don't lie... 🙈🙉🙊

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I guess that's just your opinion. His music is straight :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire: to me. Especially his last album.

Not sure how you can call this garbage.

Sounds cool, great beat, I don't really like Drake that much but this was really good. I also really like the video effects, very creative stuff.

I'm more into 90's gangsta rap, but this is good.

Codes 208

The type of music isn’t the issue. The issue is this commercial was boring. Black and white shoes followed by a ps5 orgasm with the sound of *WUB INTENSIFIES* isn’t all that interesting to me.

ethomaz

Banned
Depends on how you look at things. He's the most talented mumble/auto tune rapper, sure. But is he the most talented rapper? Big difference. Do YOU listen to him? Is he one of your most favorite artists prior to this month? Same for everyone else riding the bandwagon? Your spotify and other music services history don't lie... 🙈🙉🙊
He is one of most favorite artistic in US since 2017 I believe.... that's count as prior to this month?

BTW spottily really doesn't lie I believe.

My favorite music type doesn't play in the world... it is basically Brasilian niche.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Na man. Travis is way beyond ad-lib and autotune. Astro is brilliant and his collabs with james blake are fire. Also really enjoyed him on SNL. Seems like somewhat down to earth guy amids the whole rap life and all.

90's gangsta rap from Memphis, Atlanta, Houston, were the shit! Its crazy how soft these new age rappers are.

His music is sonically genius. He changed the entire music industry. Rodeo is a masterpiece of audio.
Lmfaaaaao alrighty then. Forgot I was conversing with ethomaz ethomaz who avoids questions like it's dodgeball. You listen to him? Favorite artist? Listened to him prior to this month? Or is this because it's ps5?

kyliethicc

This is your dumbest post yet. Love the salt. He's incredibly talented. Even Christopher Nolan picked him to make a song for his new movie Tenet.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't get the Travis Scott hype at all. But y'know, he's doing something right obviously, so more power to him. I will say that I respect him for what he's doing in the genre that's been drowned out with mumble rap and trap nonsense. Some good artists here and there, but man you really gotta dig for them.

I love that his McDonald's combo was just a basic combo with the smallest adjustments, lol.

Also, an Ozzfest '98 shirt? So random, lol.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
90's gangsta rap from Memphis, Atlanta, Houston, were the shit! Its crazy how soft these new age rappers are.

Lmfaaaaao alrighty then. Forgot I was conversing with ethomaz ethomaz who avoids questions like it's dodgeball. You listen to him? Favorite artist? Listened to him prior to this month? Or is this because it's ps5?

I love how gangsta rap sounds raw and chaotic, it's awesome, the effects were really good as well.

NewChoppa

Banned

Man, must be a weird bandwagon when he's literally one of the most popular artists on the planet according to Spotify (and has been for a while, before any of this PS5 stuff showed up)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I've been listening to him since he started in 2012-2013 with Owl Pharaoh. He's easily top 3 for me. First time I heard of him was on Good Music Cruel Summer from 2012.

Its been quite a decade for La Flame. From a college dropout sleeping on a friend's couch, now he makes music videos with Christopher Nolan's cameras at Michael Jordan' house and works with Nike PlayStation and more.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
The type of music isn’t the issue. The issue is this commercial was boring. Black and white shoes followed by a ps5 orgasm with the sound of *WUB INTENSIFIES* isn’t all that interesting to me.
I liked, it's simple, and it communicates about power in a great way I think.

lock2k

Banned
I don't get the Travis Scott hype at all. But y'know, he's doing something right obviously, so more power to him. I will say that I respect him for what he's doing in the genre that's been drowned out with mumble rap and trap nonsense. Some good artists here and there, but man you really gotta dig for them.

I love that his McDonald's combo was just a basic combo with the smallest adjustments, lol.

Also, an Ozzfest '98 shirt? So random, lol.

Not at all, he is friends with Ozzy.

Man, must be a weird bandwagon when he's literally one of the most popular artists on the planet according to Spotify (and has been for a while, before any of this PS5 stuff showed up)
So is 69, Young Thug, etc. Didn't mean they are the greatest. Popularity doesn't equate to better, especially with stream farms and stuff.

I've been listening to him since he started in 2012-2013 with Owl Pharaoh. He's easily top 3 for me. First time I heard of him was on Good Music Cruel Summer from 2012.
That's good for you. We all have opinions. I personally think he's garbage, from when he first came out on tapes, before the popularity. I also dislike Drake as well, and he was the most popular thing a few years back.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I posted the link but he seems to missed it
It is really weird on his examples countering what he is trying to say lol

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So the less hyperbolic stance to take to the discussion of “relevance” is that so much is dependent upon mutable, constantly changing social importance that we’re ignoring the reality that no one will remember the work or songs of these people in 20 or 30 years. Travis Scott included. I think that’s regrettable in one way, as we’re not (culturally) producing lasting work, classic material (contemporary-classics, not classical as a genre) that will endure, and positive in that we’re getting constantly exposed to new and fresh (though just as often regurgitated and repackaged) artists. Aside from maybe Beyoncé and Lady Gaga, I can’t think of any of the recent crop of auteurs who will be remembered in two to three decades.

But I see where Sony is going with this, because they’re aiming for a specific lifestyle and market. While I’m sure it will be socially relevant and have all the necessary metrics for success, I find the commercial clueless and daft, and I liked the crying baby commercials. So it’s interesting how my tastes or their marketing have changed.

I TOTALLY understand what you are saying and agree to a LARGE degree, but you're wrong here about Travis Scott. He's going to be an artist that's talked about 20 years from now because he has that creative gene. Plus I'd put Kendrick Lamar, Drake, and Kanye in the same spot you put Beyonce and Lady Gaga.

Sounds cool, great beat, I don't really like Drake that much but this was really good. I also really like the video effects, very creative stuff.

To be honest, most of that album is on that quality too. He had one of the best tours of 2019 on that album because the creativity in the tour, matched this video. I grew up on mid 80s hip-hop, but was "raised" on 90s gangsta rap. I REFUSE to allow myself to get stuck on a certain era of music (especially hip-hop). Our ears need to be updated every 5-10 years, just like how our phones and consoles need a firmware upgrade. You don't want to be the guy saying how music was only good when Biggie was cutting albums.

My favorite rap groups and artists are....

* Nas
* Jay-Z
* Wu-Tang (Ghostface the most out of the group)
* Ruff Ryders (DMX and Jadakiss the most out of the group)
* Snoop Dogg
* Kendrick Lamar

And my favorite hip-hop Producers are......

* Dr. Dre
* RZA
* Swizz Beatz
* Kanye West

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If we are it, why the fuck still exist that horrible "pleystshun" sound at the end of the commercial?

I don't much care for his music, although there are a couple of his songs in my library. However, I don't think that's the important thing. I think the 34M followers on Instagram is what Sony is looking for. 20M with Robert Lewandowski, if he also got one. US and Europe right there. They got popular Japanese YTers as well. I think they just want to hit the hot spots with some of the non-gaming people. Most of the gaming community probably don't follow places like DF, GameInformer, and so on. It's just marketing. Pretty clever too, IMO.

Agreed. It's just market reach. Travis Scott's music is extremely popular with both millenials and zoomers across the world, making him an ideal candidate for ambassadoring a global entertainment product. Plus, the fact that he's plowing the most popular Kardashian doesn't hurt when it comes to appealing to a large young female audience.

lock2k

Banned
I TOTALLY understand what you are saying and agree to a LARGE degree, but you're wrong here about Travis Scott. He's going to be an artist that's talked about 20 years from now because he has that creative gene. Plus I'd put Kendrick Lamar, Drake, and Kanye in the same spot you put Beyonce and Lady Gaga.

To be honest, most of that album is on that quality too. He had one of the best tours of 2019 on that album because the creativity in the tour, matched this video. I grew up on mid 80s hip-hop, but was "raised" on 90s gangsta rap. I REFUSE to allow myself to get stuck on a certain era of music (especially hip-hop). Our ears need to be updated every 5-10 years, just like how our phones and consoles need a firmware upgrade. You don't want to be the guy saying how music was only good when Biggie was cutting albums.

My favorite rap groups and artists are....

* Nas
* Jay-Z
* Wu-Tang (Ghostface the most out of the group)
* Ruff Ryders (DMX and Jadakiss the most out of the group)
* Snoop Dogg
* Kendrick Lamar

And my favorite hip-hop Producers are......

* Dr. Dre
* RZA
* Swizz Beatz
* Kanye West

I have the same train of thought as you regarding music. 90% of what I listen to these days is comprised of new stuff, but I'm more of a rock and metal guy (I even have an online show and while it has a nostalgia block, 80% of it is new music) - so I haven't really followed the evolution of rap/hip hop (I know some new stuff and I like some 2000's era stuff as well) but I agree that living on nostalgia alone is not cool. Sometimes I'll go venture in other genres to know what's going on, I'm very open minded to new music and other genres (and also music from foreign countries in different languages, I love discovering different things).

njean777

Bro I am 30 listen to deathcore, metalcore, etc and still can appreciate Travis Scott... who cares what genres you listen to. Good music is good music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom